Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Healthy options takeaway?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Why the hell are we spoilt for choice when it comes to fast food. It seems every corner these days has a chipper /Chinese etc selling unhealthy greasy dishes which we all know can taste great and are fine from time to time but why are we so limited when it comes to healthy options?

Even deli's are not exactly healthy. Why is it so hard to get good healthy food on the go?

And if your someone that's health conscious and all about good nutrition. What do you go for when eating on the go wether it be from a deli, chipper, chinese, etc??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

There is no fast healthy fast food,not around these parts anyway,some healthy options in cafes but that's not fast food

I just go to the supermarket and get fruit,nuts and yogurt. When I'm not munching on a big burger,which I do alot

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"There is no fast healthy fast food,not around these parts anyway,some healthy options in cafes but that's not fast food

I just go to the supermarket and get fruit,nuts and yogurt. When I'm not munching on a big burger,which I do alot"

Hals right i dont use the take away i do it all myself yea can cook a really healthy stir fry for no more than a tenner and it taste even better.

over a year ago

Fast food is not healthy.

Unfortunately health inspectors don't work at night time otherwise a lot of fast food business would be closed.

HACCP are not just letters taking front the alphabet, but not every food establishments work under these rules.

over a year ago

I agree but i don't understand why you can't get healthy grub on the go. If deli's for example offered more leafy greens then lettuce, grilled chicken breasts instead of coated frozen chicken or that sliced processed crap then at least we could grab a healthy chicken salad on the go lol

over a year ago

I get hiccups from time to time,wether I eat healthy or not.

over a year ago

"Fast food is not healthy.

Unfortunately health inspectors don't work at night time otherwise a lot of fast food business would be closed.

HACCP are not just letters taking front the alphabet, but not every food establishments work under these rules."

Fast food can be healthy though. If the meat is pre cooked then there's no reason you can't get healthy fast food

By *ceryMan
over a year ago

Malahide & Waterford

"There is no fast healthy fast food,not around these parts anyway,some healthy options in cafes but that's not fast food

I just go to the supermarket and get fruit,nuts and yogurt. When I'm not munching on a big burger,which I do alot

Hals right i dont use the take away i do it all myself yea can cook a really healthy stir fry for no more than a tenner and it taste even better."

And quicker than it takes to order out or go to the take away.

over a year ago

You can get healthy Chinese food like chicken broccoli and garlic etc with boiled rice

By *auraxxWoman
over a year ago

east

I know in Dublin and major cities there are alot more options than other places but there are healthy-ish options available. One indian I order from alot have a healtier option section and a paleo menu. Another has a section of dinner size meals for under 400 calories. My fav semi guilty treat is Milanos leggera to take away yum yum

By *illow1972Man
over a year ago

Naas

I have yet to come across a takeaway that is remotely healthy.

By *ceryMan
over a year ago

Malahide & Waterford

"I have yet to come across a takeaway that is remotely healthy. "

Remote ... Falklands ...

Healthy ???

over a year ago

"Fast food is not healthy.

HACCP are not just letters taking front the alphabet, but not every food establishments work under these rules.

Fast food can be healthy though. If the meat is pre cooked then there's no reason you can't get healthy fast food "

Chicken in (unnamed) deli come from Norway. We don't even use our own chicken. Nothing wrong with original Norway chicken but unfortunately it's flushed with water and others things to pump it (make Look bigger) and then is cheap to import.

I know fast food CAN be produced healthy but unfortunately that's not the goal of the owner of a fast food establishment, it's all profit and margins.

If the consumer educate themselves more about food hygiene and traceability, perhaps they be more incline to avoid the urge of fast food..... but then alcohol also plays it's part.

over a year ago

"I have yet to come across a takeaway that is remotely healthy. "

I know of one place although it's a bit far away from where i live. They do Mexican food. It's all made fresh every day. You can get a salad with chicken breast, tomatoes, onions and peppers, jalapeños, and a portion of guacamole. It's all ready to go within 2 mins and is pretty healthy

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

"I know in Dublin and major cities there are alot more options than other places but there are healthy-ish options available. One indian I order from alot have a healtier option section and a paleo menu. Another has a section of dinner size meals for under 400 calories. My fav semi guilty treat is Milanos leggera to take away yum yum"

I sometimes have a laura sub zero calories tasty as hell and includes a work out too and leave you totally satisfied

over a year ago

"I have yet to come across a takeaway that is remotely healthy.

Remote ... Falklands ...

Healthy ???

"

u mean islas malvinas

By *squaredCouple
over a year ago

Dublin/westmeath/kildare

I've found healthy options in fast food places, you have to read whole menu & avoid going into autopilot order same as usual.

M&S have great grab & go options including lovely salads.

Its easy to come across the unhealthy options takes more digging & eyes peeled for good options but they do exist. Saw yesterday centra had lovely mixed salad options.

If sit down try crowbar temple bar food is amazing, quick & veggie or meat option salad.

over a year ago

I know of one place although it's a bit far away from where i live. They do Mexican food. It's all made fresh every day. You can get a salad with chicken breast, tomatoes, onions and peppers, jalapeños, and a portion of guacamole. It's all ready to go within 2 mins and is pretty healthy"

Your intelligence is been tested. Chicken takes longer than 2 mins cook, guacamole should be made fresh daily to avoid discolouring No matter how much lemon juice you use. Everything you mentioned will be prepared (hopefully) daily but will still take longer than your 2 mins suggested, otherwise you are getting left overs!!

over a year ago

I know of one place although it's a bit far away from where i live. They do Mexican food. It's all made fresh every day. You can get a salad with chicken breast, tomatoes, onions and peppers, jalapeños, and a portion of guacamole. It's all ready to go within 2 mins and is pretty healthy

Your intelligence is been tested. Chicken takes longer than 2 mins cook, guacamole should be made fresh daily to avoid discolouring No matter how much lemon juice you use. Everything you mentioned will be prepared (hopefully) daily but will still take longer than your 2 mins suggested, otherwise you are getting left overs!!"

The chicken is cooked fresh daily as is everything else. I actually happen to know the guy that owns the place. So when your ordering, it's already cooked. Just to be thrown together with whatever else you like (onions, peppers, tomatoes, jalapeños etc)

over a year ago

Your intelligence is been tested. Chicken takes longer than 2 mins cook, guacamole should be made fresh daily to avoid discolouring No matter how much lemon juice you use. Everything you mentioned will be prepared (hopefully) daily but will still take longer than your 2 mins suggested, otherwise you are getting left overs!!

The chicken is cooked fresh daily as is everything else. I actually happen to know the guy that owns the place. So when your ordering, it's already cooked. Just to be thrown together with whatever else you like (onions, peppers, tomatoes, jalapeños etc) "

At least you know the truth, your chicken/dish is reheated to your requirements.

None of that is a problem, happens regularly even in hotel kitchens, as long as the cooked food is stored at it's correct temperature and reheated to its correct temperature, to avoid bacteria multipling. Happy days.

over a year ago

I have to laugh at the government tho preaching on about obesity and to eat more healthy. Eating healthier is a lot more expensive than eating unhealthy food like fast food and takaway. Some families want to eat healthier but just can't afford to. Maybe if they lowered the price of healthy food and put junk food prices up wich is only suppose to be a treat anyway it would solve a lot of health issues. Vote topcatt in the next election! Il get ya'll bikini bodies

over a year ago

I fancy a chargrilled Caesar salad now.

over a year ago

The chicken is cooked fresh daily as is everything else. I actually happen to know the guy that owns the place. So when your ordering, it's already cooked. Just to be thrown together with whatever else you like (onions, peppers, tomatoes, jalapeños etc)

At least you know the truth, your chicken/dish is reheated to your requirements.

None of that is a problem, happens regularly even in hotel kitchens, as long as the cooked food is stored at it's correct temperature and reheated to its correct temperature, to avoid bacteria multipling. Happy days."

It's kept hot, it's not reheated. The stuff could be made fresh twice or more a day depending on how busy he is

over a year ago

"I have to laugh at the government tho preaching on about obesity and to eat more healthy. Eating healthier is a lot more expensive than eating unhealthy food like fast food and takaway. Some families want to eat healthier but just can't afford to. Maybe if they lowered the price of healthy food and put junk food prices up wich is only suppose to be a treat anyway it would solve a lot of health issues. Vote topcatt in the next election! Il get ya'll bikini bodies "

it doesn't cost much to eat health , if ur prepared to cook it yourself ..

over a year ago

"I have to laugh at the government tho preaching on about obesity and to eat more healthy. Eating healthier is a lot more expensive than eating unhealthy food like fast food and takaway. Some families want to eat healthier but just can't afford to. Maybe if they lowered the price of healthy food and put junk food prices up wich is only suppose to be a treat anyway it would solve a lot of health issues. Vote topcatt in the next election! Il get ya'll bikini bodies "

Have my vote

Government in January wanted to increase the price of fruit and veg but not confectionary??? Now who does that benefit?? Doctors and dentist

Poor and unhealthy diet means you are probe to colds, virsus etc

And it wasn't to help the "poor" farmers.

By *ilderMan
over a year ago

dublin

I just go to the supermarket and get fruit,nuts and yogurt. When I'm not munching on a big burger,which I do alot"

fruit and nuts does not mean Cadbury 'fruit and nut' chocolate right Hal? It's hard to get nuts without salt etc added, I get mine in Tesco, yum!

over a year ago

"I have to laugh at the government tho preaching on about obesity and to eat more healthy. Eating healthier is a lot more expensive than eating unhealthy food like fast food and takaway. Some families want to eat healthier but just can't afford to. Maybe if they lowered the price of healthy food and put junk food prices up wich is only suppose to be a treat anyway it would solve a lot of health issues. Vote topcatt in the next election! Il get ya'll bikini bodies

Have my vote

Government in January wanted to increase the price of fruit and veg but not confectionary??? Now who does that benefit?? Doctors and dentist

Poor and unhealthy diet means you are probe to colds, virsus etc

And it wasn't to help the "poor" farmers."

Prone not probe

Before the spelling police attack

over a year ago

Healthy meals are dead cheap, big box of rice does not have to be brown, cut chicken breasts into chunks, some glazes or some peri peri, (use some fish cheap from the butchers or turkey etc).

Put rice on takes 12-15 mins, preheat george foreman at 7 mins, when rices is looking done, throw chicken bits on george foreman, close goeorge foreman, go wash hands, come back lift rices up, plate rices at a nice easy pace, and chicken should have been on for like 5-7 mins now, should be cooked, put the chicken bits on top of the rice in the bowl. Bish bang bosh, must cost 2 quid in total, maybe 3 quid at a push. I could probably make dinner for most of the week for the cost of one takeaway.

Being healthy is about eating the right amount of food for you activity level. If you are very active then chicken nuggets and chips from mc donalds is a perfectly healthy snack.

You can get health benefits from some greasy foods even.

The point is, if you are sitting around doing nothing, then a takeaway is a completely unacceptable snack or option.

If you are active then a mars bar on the way to work wont hurt you at all, a mars bar, packet of crisps, bottle of normal probably would though.

I often have something like a pepsi max and bar of chocolate, i have cake, I have the odd packet of crisps. I like the new life although others dont.

When I am active I can eat it all no bother, when I dont have time to be active I start to add weight. Its really that simple.

Being healthy in my view is being active not eating green leaves from a plant, or counting calories.

over a year ago

All chicken. ..put into a house as a day old......comes out a little over 4 weeks later and is in the supermarket soon after. ...They are on lighting patterns. ..so they dont sleep that long....salt is added to their water supply so they drink more. ...lol. and that's irish chickens. ..regulated by bord bia..god knows what the imported stuff is like. ...kfc anyone? ..

over a year ago

"All chicken. ..put into a house as a day old......comes out a little over 4 weeks later and is in the supermarket soon after. ...They are on lighting patterns. ..so they dont sleep that long....salt is added to their water supply so they drink more. ...lol. and that's irish chickens. ..regulated by bord bia..god knows what the imported stuff is like. ...kfc anyone? .. "

I only eat organic free range chicken to prevent an involuntary intake of growth hormones.

over a year ago

"Healthy meals are dead cheap, big box of rice does not have to be brown, cut chicken breasts into chunks, some glazes or some peri peri, (use some fish cheap from the butchers or turkey etc).

Put rice on takes 12-15 mins, preheat george foreman at 7 mins, when rices is looking done, throw chicken bits on george foreman, close goeorge foreman, go wash hands, come back lift rices up, plate rices at a nice easy pace, and chicken should have been on for like 5-7 mins now, should be cooked, put the chicken bits on top of the rice in the bowl. Bish bang bosh, must cost 2 quid in total, maybe 3 quid at a push. I could probably make dinner for most of the week for the cost of one takeaway.

Being healthy is about eating the right amount of food for you activity level. If you are very active then chicken nuggets and chips from mc donalds is a perfectly healthy snack.

The point is, if you are sitting around doing nothing, then a takeaway is a completely unacceptable snack or option.

If you are active then a mars bar on the way to work wont hurt you at all, a mars bar, packet of crisps, bottle of normal probably would though.

I often have something like a pepsi max and bar of chocolate, i have cake, I have the odd packet of crisps. I like the new life although others dont.

When I am active I can eat it all no bother, when I dont have time to be active I start to add weight. Its really that simple.

Being healthy in my view is being active not eating green leaves from a plant, or counting calories."

Ya should of watched that "the truth about sugar" eye opener or what

over a year ago

"All chicken. ..put into a house as a day old......comes out a little over 4 weeks later and is in the supermarket soon after. ...They are on lighting patterns. ..so they dont sleep that long....salt is added to their water supply so they drink more. ...lol. and that's irish chickens. ..regulated by bord bia..god knows what the imported stuff is like. ...kfc anyone? ..

I only eat organic free range chicken to prevent an involuntary intake of growth hormones. "

....well organic and free range are two different things. ...organic is good. .. free range. ..a wee bit of trickery there. .im afraid

over a year ago

"All chicken. ..put into a house as a day old......comes out a little over 4 weeks later and is in the supermarket soon after. ...They are on lighting patterns. ..so they dont sleep that long....salt is added to their water supply so they drink more. ...lol. and that's irish chickens. ..regulated by bord bia..god knows what the imported stuff is like. ...kfc anyone? ..

I only eat organic free range chicken to prevent an involuntary intake of growth hormones. ....well organic and free range are two different things. ...organic is good. .. free range. ..a wee bit of trickery there. .im afraid"

Depends were you get it. I get it from my local butcher. I'm pretty happy that what he says is true.

over a year ago

"Healthy meals are dead cheap, big box of rice does not have to be brown, cut chicken breasts into chunks, some glazes or some peri peri, (use some fish cheap from the butchers or turkey etc).

Being healthy in my view is being active not eating green leaves from a plant, or counting calories."

Agree 100% people don't realise what they are doing to their bodies going on crash diets cutting out carbs eating less meet cutting food out completely and taking food supplements it's crazy food is fuel for the body we need the fuel to live keeping fit and active and having a good balanced diet is the key to leading a healthy life

over a year ago

Grill town in coolmine industrial estate in blanch. Amazing place! Even their enormous burgers are healthy with whole grain bun. Feels like a cheat meal but it isn't.

over a year ago

"Grill town in coolmine industrial estate in blanch. Amazing place! Even their enormous burgers are healthy with whole grain bun. Feels like a cheat meal but it isn't."

Ooh this sounds like a nice place! I'll have to investigate

over a year ago

So who's the healthiest, have you decided yet?

By *irst officerMan
over a year ago

Naas

Healthy food all week, time for a proper takeaway

over a year ago

I missed the whole thread, so interesting it is. Balanced diet with as little highly processed food and sugars seems to work well.

Full fat milk and yoghourts are class too. I hate the % fat products, as they take the fat out and stuff the food with sugar as otherwise none would find them tasty.

over a year ago

I only eat organic free range chicken to prevent an involuntary intake of growth hormones. ....well organic and free range are two different things. ...organic is good. .. free range. ..a wee bit of trickery there. .im afraid

Depends were you get it. I get it from my local butcher. I'm pretty happy that what he says is true. "

...honest. ..if its free range irish....the bird might be outside s few hours a day. ..but they still get the other medication ....Some intensive farms medicate from day one....all bord bia approved. ..

over a year ago

I only eat organic free range chicken to prevent an involuntary intake of growth hormones. ....well organic and free range are two different things. ...organic is good. .. free range. ..a wee bit of trickery there. .im afraid

Depends were you get it. I get it from my local butcher. I'm pretty happy that what he says is true. "

Yes cause he wouldn't lie to you!!

Such a honest business man.

over a year ago

Depends were you get it. I get it from my local butcher. I'm pretty happy that what he says is true.

Such a honest business man. "

...in all fairness. .he might not know. ...the only safe bet is organic.....or grow your own. .

over a year ago

"All chicken. ..put into a house as a day old......comes out a little over 4 weeks later and is in the supermarket soon after. ...They are on lighting patterns. ..so they dont sleep that long....salt is added to their water supply so they drink more. ...lol. and that's irish chickens. ..regulated by bord bia..god knows what the imported stuff is like. ...kfc anyone's? ..

Such a honest business man. ...in all fairness. .he might not know. ...the only safe bet is organic.....or grow your own. . "

Oh he knows...... if the butcher is Bord Bia approved then the butcher has to be able to trace ALL his produce. Even his staff should be trained to know.

over a year ago

"All chicken. ..put into a house as a day old......comes out a little over 4 weeks later and is in the supermarket soon after. ...They are on lighting patterns. ..so they dont sleep that long....salt is added to their water supply so they drink more. ...lol. and that's irish chickens. ..regulated by bord bia..god knows what the imported stuff is like. ...kfc anyone's? ..

Such a honest business man. ...in all fairness. .he might not know. ...the only safe bet is organic.....or grow your own. .

Oh he knows...... if the butcher is Bord Bia approved then the butcher has to be able to trace ALL his produce. Even his staff should be trained to know."

.......oh of course he knows where they come from. ...tesco and dunnes actually put the name of the farmer on every single chicken. ..but bord bia doesn't tell him the medicine or hormones the bird has received. ...bit of book cooking. ..lol

By *owdyBoobyMan
over a year ago

limerick

Everything can be unhealthy in the right doses. It's all about moderate exercise and a round varied diet. If you like some foods over others eat them just don't live on 5 foods all your life. Keep refined sugars and added salt to min. Drink plenty of unflouridated water. Eat as much grass fed meats as you can afford. Grow your own veg and pick up as much Irish fruit as you can. 8 to 6 hours sleep a night. Don't limit your fats as this has been linked to allot of psychological disorders. Leave ur car behind every so often. Use the stairs. Learn a sport. Generally keep active. Do some squats while the ads are on. stop worrying about your weight, start worrying about your body fat. Take up weight baring exercise to reduce body fat to acceptable levels. Supplement your meals with light snacks such as mixed nuts or carrots and a dip. Everybody needs to calm down on the protein supplements your kidneys will thank you in 20 years. Finally everybody needs to increase their fibre content which will decrease chances of inflaming bowel diseases.

over a year ago

"Everything can be unhealthy in the right doses. It's all about moderate exercise and a round varied diet. If you like some foods over others eat them just don't live on 5 foods all your life. Keep refined sugars and added salt to min. Drink plenty of unflouridated water. Eat as much grass fed meats as you can afford. Grow your own veg and pick up as much Irish fruit as you can. 8 to 6 hours sleep a night. Don't limit your fats as this has been linked to allot of psychological disorders. Leave ur car behind every so often. Use the stairs. Learn a sport. Generally keep active. Do some squats while the ads are on. stop worrying about your weight, start worrying about your body fat. Take up weight baring exercise to reduce body fat to acceptable levels. Supplement your meals with light snacks such as mixed nuts or carrots and a dip. Everybody needs to calm down on the protein supplements your kidneys will thank you in 20 years. Finally everybody needs to increase their fibre content which will decrease chances of inflaming bowel diseases.

"

sounds good to me..

By *ilderMan
over a year ago

dublin

"Everything can be unhealthy in the right doses. It's all about moderate exercise and a round varied diet. If you like some foods over others eat them just don't live on 5 foods all your life. Keep refined sugars and added salt to min. Drink plenty of unflouridated water. Eat as much grass fed meats as you can afford. Grow your own veg and pick up as much Irish fruit as you can. 8 to 6 hours sleep a night. Don't limit your fats as this has been linked to allot of psychological disorders. Leave ur car behind every so often. Use the stairs. Learn a sport. Generally keep active. Do some squats while the ads are on. stop worrying about your weight, start worrying about your body fat. Take up weight baring exercise to reduce body fat to acceptable levels. Supplement your meals with light snacks such as mixed nuts or carrots and a dip. Everybody needs to calm down on the protein supplements your kidneys will thank you in 20 years. Finally everybody needs to increase their fibre content which will decrease chances of inflaming bowel diseases.

"

All so true. I used be a lot heavier than I am now and it is by following that kind of mind set that I shed those pounds and feel a lot better for it. It's about a number of changes not just one. Lifestyle changes are surprisingly easy once you educate yourself.

over a year ago

Let's face the facts, a cheap take away won't be healthy as the products they use are highly processed. But a greasy fish and chips is so lovely sometimes

I agree, living in Dublin makes it easier - if you're ok to spend more you can order from some good restaurants. E.g. The Farm delivers (organic restaurant). I also order from a spectacular Sushi restaurant (Michie Sushi). I do love salmon sashimi and edamame soy beans mmmm

Post new Message to Thread