Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Philomena

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Did anybody see that film last nite!? It was sad but a true story! That nun, I want to tear her to threads, how could she not allow a dying son see his mother!?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Didn't see the film last night, but did you see the documentary on rte during the week about the church selling the babies of so called "fallen women". Then when the affected kids and parents contacted the nuns years later to track each other down they did everything they could to keep them apart... I was fuming watching it...

over a year ago

"Didn't see the film last night, but did you see the documentary on rte during the week about the church selling the babies of so called "fallen women". Then when the affected kids and parents contacted the nuns years later to track each other down they did everything they could to keep them apart... I was fuming watching it... "

No I didn't I'm afraid but it sounds awful! That nun in the film didn't feel a bit bad that Philomena didn't get to see her dying son! She instead praised herself for staying celebate...

By *idpunkMan
over a year ago

carrickfergus

Seen the news reports up here the religious orders are hardly covering themselves in glory

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

I watched it on dvd a couple of weeks ago with my eldest daughter.

We both ended in tears.

Very moving film and so sad to think it actually happened.

Really how cruel that nun was.

over a year ago

"I watched it on dvd a couple of weeks ago with my eldest daughter.

We both ended in tears.

"

Philomena's son was told that she willingly given him up for adoption!! Not only were the nuns cruel they were liers as well.... makes me so mad! she missed out on so much with her son, he turned out really great, glad for her that his adoptive parents made a video of him growing up!

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

We both ended in tears.

Philomena's son was told that she willingly given him up for adoption!! Not only were the nuns cruel they were liers as well.... makes me so mad! she missed out on so much with her son, he turned out really great, glad for her that his adoptive parents made a video of him growing up! "

I know so sad all the time searching for him and the poor man burried in the place all along.

over a year ago

We both ended in tears.

Philomena's son was told that she willingly given him up for adoption!! Not only were the nuns cruel they were liers as well.... makes me so mad! she missed out on so much with her son, he turned out really great, glad for her that his adoptive parents made a video of him growing up! I know so sad all the time searching for him and the poor man burried in the place all along.

"

Still though, it was nice that he wanted to be near her, she'll be able to go to his grave anytime she wants! I did question as to why he wanted to be buried there, surely there was a church with a graveyard elsewhere that he could be buried in!!?

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

We both ended in tears.

Philomena's son was told that she willingly given him up for adoption!! Not only were the nuns cruel they were liers as well.... makes me so mad! she missed out on so much with her son, he turned out really great, glad for her that his adoptive parents made a video of him growing up! I know so sad all the time searching for him and the poor man burried in the place all along.

Still though, it was nice that he wanted to be near her, she'll be able to go to his grave anytime she wants! I did question as to why he wanted to be buried there, surely there was a church with a graveyard elsewhere that he could be buried in!!? "

Read the book it answers that question. The book is different to film. More about the sons story. Both excellent I may add. Google the real Philomena and her interviews. This is one amazing woman with such a brilliant attitude.

over a year ago

We both ended in tears.

Still though, it was nice that he wanted to be near her, she'll be able to go to his grave anytime she wants! I did question as to why he wanted to be buried there, surely there was a church with a graveyard elsewhere that he could be buried in!!?

Read the book it answers that question. The book is different to film. More about the sons story. Both excellent I may add. Google the real Philomena and her interviews. This is one amazing woman with such a brilliant attitude."

Yes, good thinking, I will buy the book, the book is always better anyway!! I thought Judi Dench was great playing the role of Philomena!!

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

We both ended in tears.

Still though, it was nice that he wanted to be near her, she'll be able to go to his grave anytime she wants! I did question as to why he wanted to be buried there, surely there was a church with a graveyard elsewhere that he could be buried in!!? "

maybe in his way of thinking it was going back to where he come from.

Maybe hoping one day his mother would go looking for him.

The cruel twist is the nun knowing both had been to her asking for advise and where each other where abouts was. How she could keep mother and child apart and supposedly is was her duty to do so..as she had sinned having a child out of wedlock. Evil if u ask me and really questions the faith too.

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

We both ended in tears.

Read the book it answers that question. The book is different to film. More about the sons story. Both excellent I may add. Google the real Philomena and her interviews. This is one amazing woman with such a brilliant attitude.

Yes, good thinking, I will buy the book, the book is always better anyway!! I thought Judi Dench was great playing the role of Philomena!! "

In this instance the film and book compliment each other. Book more or less about the son and film about her search.

over a year ago

We both ended in tears.

Still though, it was nice that he wanted to be near her, she'll be able to go to his grave anytime she wants! I did question as to why he wanted to be buried there, surely there was a church with a graveyard elsewhere that he could be buried in!!? maybe in his way of thinking it was going back to where he come from.

The cruel twist is the nun knowing both had been to her asking for advise and where each other where abouts was. How she could keep mother and child apart and supposedly is was her duty to do so..as she had sinned having a child out of wedlock. Evil if u ask me and really questions the faith too. "

Not a very christian thing for a nun to do, keeping mother & son apart! How could it be the nuns duty to do so, if she was a decent person she would have made sure Philomena got to see her son! They've got no heart, no soul... What age was Philomena when she had the baby!?

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

We both ended in tears.

Still though, it was nice that he wanted to be near her, she'll be able to go to his grave anytime she wants! I did question as to why he wanted to be buried there, surely there was a church with a graveyard elsewhere that he could be buried in!!? maybe in his way of thinking it was going back to where he come from.

The cruel twist is the nun knowing both had been to her asking for advise and where each other where abouts was. How she could keep mother and child apart and supposedly is was her duty to do so..as she had sinned having a child out of wedlock. Evil if u ask me and really questions the faith too.

Not a very christian thing for a nun to do, keeping mother & son apart! How could it be the nuns duty to do so, if she was a decent person she would have made sure Philomena got to see her son! They've got no heart, no soul... What age was Philomena when she had the baby!?"

oh its wicked how they act and how twisted they are. I think 17 she was when she had him..A very strong willed woman..

over a year ago

We both ended in tears.

Not a very christian thing for a nun to do, keeping mother & son apart! How could it be the nuns duty to do so, if she was a decent person she would have made sure Philomena got to see her son! They've got no heart, no soul... What age was Philomena when she had the baby!?oh its wicked how they act and how twisted they are. I think 17 she was when she had him..A very strong willed woman.."

Indeed!! She forgave the nun, I wouldn't have been able to do that....

over a year ago

We both ended in tears.

Read the book it answers that question. The book is different to film. More about the sons story. Both excellent I may add. Google the real Philomena and her interviews. This is one amazing woman with such a brilliant attitude."

Hey, I bought the book today, looking forward to reading it!

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

Tempted to buy it myself

over a year ago

don't like to read or watch any of those programmes,it sickens me to think of what went on,thank god we have moved out of those dark ages

over a year ago

"don't like to read or watch any of those programmes,it sickens me to think of what went on,thank god we have moved out of those dark ages"

I sincerely hope we have moved from the dark ages!

over a year ago

We re planning to watch the film tonight as we watched that documentary last week about the nuns selling the children off to America .The Catholic Church has a lot to answer for !!!

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

"We re planning to watch the film tonight as we watched that documentary last week about the nuns selling the children off to America .The Catholic Church has a lot to answer for !!!"

Not just the church..

By *ylonsLuvaDan69Man
over a year ago

Mallow

Shocking and sad but will keep the faith.

Post new Message to Thread