Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

worried maybe u guys might know

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I know its not the place but someone out there might be able too help me on this one. my grandad aged 73 is a very active man eg going out in the car and out and about. in the past year he wont move from his chair from the moment he wakes up till he goes too sleep at night hes in perfect health con and not suffering from any illness at all. he use too be a trucker back in his day so he loved the out doors and not staying at home 24/7. if he was too go anywhere he wont go anywhere without me his granson or his daughter eg my anty. Is this a sign of something we should keep a close eye on?? Thanks everybody

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

oh dear,,im wondering has something happened while he has been out,,and he hasnt said anything,,could be he got a fright or a shock,,,in the town or near you,,it might have shook him up

over a year ago

"oh dear,,im wondering has something happened while he has been out,,and he hasnt said anything,,could be he got a fright or a shock,,,in the town or near you,,it might have shook him up"
na noting at all has shocked or frighted him at all its just strange too see him like this as hes an active man an always has bin like going for sunday drives and going too his wifes grave which he loved doing now its just ahh il do it another day or next week

By *llie and ApplesCouple
over a year ago

where ever

Maybe he has been come more aware of his years now and is fearful in himself ....or low ..perhaps things he once found easy .aren't so anymore ....reaction times, slower to react or he just could feeling his age ...important though above all else to talk with him , gauge his mindset, it can be hard for someone who has always been so independent to admit they now need others

over a year ago

I'm no psychologist but a sudden shift like that could be a sign of depression? Just something to bear in mind I guess

By *p4itduoCouple
over a year ago

santry

Many and varied.company insecurity or love of his family ,and sorry don't mean to put that last ,maybe asking him might work ' it might not either,it could be a health issue, a man of his age will have his reasons, I wish you the best on this

over a year ago

"Many and varied.company insecurity or love of his family ,and sorry don't mean to put that last ,maybe asking him might work ' it might not either,it could be a health issue, a man of his age will have his reasons, I wish you the best on this "
everytime i ask he just say ahh im great kid never better but deep down i know some thing is up like when he has his few pints on the weekends he says stuff like your the future we fuk it u have too fix it and so on and along with im going down yano everytime he says it when he has his few pints

By *p4itduoCouple
over a year ago

santry

Look just do what your doing, it could be the ,sounds like you guys love him,

over a year ago

My grandad was knocked down when he was out and about, in his 80s, he was walking behind a car, the car reversed and hit him. He of course hit the ground.

The guy got out and picked him up, dusted him off then drove off.

My grandad limped home, hurt. He never complained about it and we found out by chance.

It doesn't take much to knock someones confidence out. One asshole making a comment, one incident that they would have bounced back from when they were younger. Someone acting intimidating because they are having a bad day.

People dont realise how awesome it is for old people to be walking around on their own.

My grandad stopped going out all together after that. His health got worse and he took a turn and ended up confined to a chair.

If I could go back in time I would have taken time out and went out more with him, walked him over to the shop instead of getting things for him. Try to get his confidence up, maybe never to the point where he went out on his own again but to the point where he would have phoned me asking me to go places with him.

If I could have talked to the guy that hit my grandad I would have asked him to give my gandad a lift home instead of letting him walk home alone.

Men sometimes wont say their confidence took a battering. Sometimes they will even say the opposite "its grand".

Anyway, hope things improve for him.

By *ecretly seductiveWoman
over a year ago

Palookaville

Pm me .....

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

Sounds like depression to me.personally id take him to a therapist rather than doctor,docs will just prescribe tablets.not always the best

over a year ago

Cheers for the advice everyone gonna spead some time with him for the weekend an owl chit chat. il get back to yas on monday have a good weekend everyone

over a year ago

This is very similar to a situation I am dealing with but its not a family member. An older couple lived just up the road from me since I was a nipper. About two years ago she passed away, he is on 74, still a young man and no major health issues that I know of. I try me best to pop in a few times a week as I know it must be really tough living on his own. Anyway, about six months ago he stopped leaving the house. He just gave up, it took many conversations to try tease it out of him and I contacted the public health nurse to pop in and see what she thought. After bringing him in for a medical it seems he was just really down seeing his wife pass and all his family move away.

His doctor described it as borderline depression. I was told to try get him out of the house as much as possible, find out what he liked in his past. If he liked golf, take him to pitch and putt now, simple things to make him feel like his life isn't over just yet. Your granddad is lucky to have someone like you to take care of him

over a year ago

id advise a person not so close to your grandad might have a chat with him very hard to open up to your nearest and dearest my dad was mugged and wont go out after dark my grandad is like yours then he started declining we discovered he was loosing his eyesight wen asked why he didnt say anything he said I dont want to be a burden it could be any number of things I wish you the best

over a year ago

"Cheers for the advice everyone gonna spead some time with him for the weekend an owl chit chat. il get back to yas on monday have a good weekend everyone "

Hope it all works out. Good luck

over a year ago

It could be early onset of Alzheimers where the person knows themselves that they get confused when out alone even somewhere that should be familiar and they stay where they feel secure. Happened to one of my grand parents where they just stopped leaving the house for fear because confusion was becoming more of a common occurance. It would do no harm to get checked but social interaction is a huge part of fighting that horrible illness. I hope all goes well and i hope it is not Alzheimer s.

over a year ago

I agree, Could be the early stages of Dementia, Hope I wrong

over a year ago

"Cheers for the advice everyone gonna spead some time with him for the weekend an owl chit chat. il get back to yas on monday have a good weekend everyone

Hope it all works out. Good luck"

He may be simply a little depressed, thats normal as you get older. Have a good time with him and enjoy your time together.

Post new Message to Thread