Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Dogs

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Recently I have been dwelling on the idea of getting a dog, I have discussed it with my housemate and they are willing to help look after them while I work late some days and willing to have them around the house as long as its not a huge dog. Can anyone suggest the best breed of dog to have around the house bearing in mind something that's not too big, not too small and most importantly good with kids

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

And when ur here who will look after the dog? i wouldnt recommend it unless u had the time. my opinion

over a year ago

Cavachon is a great house dog brilliant with kids and so easy to train

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

jack russel or and english bull terrier

over a year ago

"jack russel or and english bull terrier"
with kids...no way..!! jack russels are tempremental little shits....

over a year ago

"jack russel or and english bull terrier"

couldn't feck with the constant yapping out of a Jack Russell, looked at the English bull terrier but was looking for something a small bit bigger, as its going to be a house dog i was inclined to side with a short haired breed but if needs be i could change my mind if i find the right dog

over a year ago

Did Shep fail quarantine?

over a year ago

"jack russel or and english bull terrier

couldn't feck with the constant yapping out of a Jack Russell, looked at the English bull terrier but was looking for something a small bit bigger, as its going to be a house dog i was inclined to side with a short haired breed but if needs be i could change my mind if i find the right dog"

know its small but a Yorkshire terrier puppy would be ideal and good with kids too have a jack Russell 14 years and she's good with kids depends how they are reared

over a year ago

couldn't feck with the constant yapping out of a Jack Russell, looked at the English bull terrier but was looking for something a small bit bigger, as its going to be a house dog i was inclined to side with a short haired breed but if needs be i could change my mind if i find the right dog"

'..a small bit bigger...'

There speaks an Irishman.

over a year ago

"Did Shep fail quarantine?

"

Nope the hormonal disloyal bastard ran off with that bitch lassie

over a year ago

couldn't feck with the constant yapping out of a Jack Russell, looked at the English bull terrier but was looking for something a small bit bigger, as its going to be a house dog i was inclined to side with a short haired breed but if needs be i could change my mind if i find the right dog know its small but a Yorkshire terrier puppy would be ideal and good with kids too have a jack Russell 14 years and she's good with kids depends how they are reared "

yorkies are great lil dogs.

By *andytownMan
over a year ago

Gods Own Country

Get a goldfish....easier to walk

over a year ago

"Get a goldfish....easier to walk"

over a year ago

One other thing I should add, I can't deal with a dog that requires constant attention, yes it will get attention fed and exercised. But there is no way i could deal with an animal that requires round the clock entertainment and attention

By *ean299Man
over a year ago

Lucan

"Get a goldfish....easier to walk "

Or maybe s cat (just keep it away from the goldfish)

over a year ago

"One other thing I should add, I can't deal with a dog that requires constant attention, yes it will get attention fed and exercised. But there is no way i could deal with an animal that requires round the clock entertainment and attention"

Get a cat.

over a year ago

"Get a goldfish....easier to walk

Or maybe s cat (just keep it away from the goldfish)"

Jinx!

over a year ago

Water spaniel they lovely dogs and it depends on Jack Russels there usually good but ya always get the temperamental one

over a year ago

"One other thing I should add, I can't deal with a dog that requires constant attention, yes it will get attention fed and exercised. But there is no way i could deal with an animal that requires round the clock entertainment and attention"
if you are away the dog is obviously going to look for a lot of attention when you get home if it has been on its own

over a year ago

"One other thing I should add, I can't deal with a dog that requires constant attention, yes it will get attention fed and exercised. But there is no way i could deal with an animal that requires round the clock entertainment and attention

Get a cat."

Have my fill of cats to be honest

over a year ago

puppys are like babies they need loads if attention house training etc they wont learn on there own even tryi g to walk them takes time

By *andytownMan
over a year ago

Gods Own Country

"One other thing I should add, I can't deal with a dog that requires constant attention, yes it will get attention fed and exercised. But there is no way i could deal with an animal that requires round the clock entertainment and attentionpuppys are like babies they need loads if attention house training etc they wont learn on there own even tryi g to walk them takes time "

Well put ....and the wee fcekers allways leave the toilet seats up too

By *iktikiCouple
over a year ago

cork

Remember dogs are for life not just for Friday nites

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

you could always go to a rescue center and save a dog

over a year ago

"you could always go to a rescue center and save a dog "

That was the whole plan, but still need to get the right kind of breed that I will be comfortable having around thus making the dogs life as comfortable as possible too

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

"you could always go to a rescue center and save a dog

That was the whole plan, but still need to get the right kind of breed that I will be comfortable having around thus making the dogs life as comfortable as possible too"

every breed can be a problem or can be a dream iv had a pit bull that was the softest dog u could meet and a yorkie that was the most aggressive little shite you could meet

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

"Get a goldfish....easier to walk "

mine drowned

By *isa 59Woman
over a year ago

Newcastle

What about a bedlington terrier...they are great house dogs...smashing with kids and their coats don't shed ))

over a year ago

"you could always go to a rescue center and save a dog

That was the whole plan, but still need to get the right kind of breed that I will be comfortable having around thus making the dogs life as comfortable as possible too

every breed can be a problem or can be a dream iv had a pit bull that was the softest dog u could meet and a yorkie that was the most aggressive little shite you could meet"

Not too worried about the temperament as most dogs react well to training, have had a few Collies when i lived in Ireland, all got from dog pounds and no problems, just really looking for a house dog and I am afraid a collie is not a house dog

By *ajoscaCouple
over a year ago

waterford

cavalier king Charles great in house and even better with kids we have had them here with all our kids and never a problem

cherrypicker

By *vsnikkiTV/TS
over a year ago

Limavady

If you're not prepared to give it loads of attention PLEASE do not get a dog. I'm sure most dog owners thought they would own the pet before they first got one but now realize they actually belong to the dog.

over a year ago

"What about a bedlington terrier...they are great house dogs...smashing with kids and their coats don't shed ))"

Just looked them up, like the dark coated one, the fair coated one is out of the question, just looks too much like the ex, scrawny blonde bitch

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

dogs NEED people around them

over a year ago

"If you're not prepared to give it loads of attention PLEASE do not get a dog. I'm sure most dog owners thought they would own the pet before they first got one but now realize they actually belong to the dog. "

I am not prepared to devote every living minute of my day to it, However I am prepared to walk them, exercise them feed them and look after them properly. If I wanted something that craved attention 24/7 I would just get married

over a year ago

"If you're not prepared to give it loads of attention PLEASE do not get a dog. I'm sure most dog owners thought they would own the pet before they first got one but now realize they actually belong to the dog.

I am not prepared to devote every living minute of my day to it, However I am prepared to walk them, exercise them feed them and look after them properly. If I wanted something that craved attention 24/7 I would just get married"

bahahaha!

over a year ago

A retired greyhound from a rescue centre.

over a year ago

"A retired greyhound from a rescue centre."

Jesus Christ, how far would you have to walk one of them everyday

over a year ago

Not to far coz he's retired

over a year ago

"Not to far coz he's retired "

Exactly. They don't need a lot of exercise and are very _aid back animals. Great dogs.

over a year ago

"Not to far coz he's retired

Exactly. They don't need a lot of exercise and are very _aid back animals. Great dogs."

Any chance they would scare a pesky cat away

over a year ago

"jack russel or and english bull terrierwith kids...no way..!! jack russels are tempremental little shits.... "

My JR makes people melt. Shes yappy with strangers but just wants cuddles if you let them in.....

over a year ago

Exactly. They don't need a lot of exercise and are very _aid back animals. Great dogs.

Any chance they would scare a pesky cat away"

More than likely unless they were used to cats.

over a year ago

Any chance they would scare a pesky cat away

More than likely unless they were used to cats."

Well its a done deal so, having a real problem with a pesky cat at the moment

over a year ago

Why don't you get a zoomer it just needs charged no entertain in no cleaning up afterwards sounds perfect for what you want tho probably won't help with the cats

over a year ago

Google retired greyhounds, and greyhound shelters. Go see them. Speak to the shelter people and see what they say. You will be very surprised.

over a year ago

"Google retired greyhounds, and greyhound shelters. Go see them. Speak to the shelter people and see what they say. You will be very surprised."

Wonder if you can get any of the Droopy greyhound breed, be nice to have a famous line of blood in your pet.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

I have a biscon frize now lovely dog great temperament but they hate being on there own that is the only fault .

My dog sulks if we go out and I mean sulks.

They don't shed hair which is another bonus.

over a year ago

"One other thing I should add, I can't deal with a dog that requires constant attention, yes it will get attention fed and exercised. But there is no way i could deal with an animal that requires round the clock entertainment

Have my fill of cats to be honest"

Post new Message to Thread