Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Jobs bridge

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I know this topic is not related to fun but I saw in the news today that young people could have their dole stopped or deducted if they refuse a jobs bridge position in an area their interested in! My question is, what's your view on the jobs bridge scheme and what do you make of this news item?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I know this topic is not related to fun but I saw in the news today that young people could have their dole stopped or deducted if they refuse a jobs bridge position in an area their interested in! My question is, what's your view on the jobs bridge scheme and what do you make of this news item? "

Absolutely they should. I see these kids every week who think someone owes them a living. If they can't find the job they want they should do ANY job, if they won't, why should society support them?

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

Extremely harsh; I know some people that a looking for jobs so the likes of them getting penalised is terrible.

On the other scale some are quite happy to live off the state.

BUT this new scheme is there such a inflation of jobs out there

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/01/14 16:26:02]

over a year ago

Sounds similar to steps to work which is in place here in the north personally I think it's potentially good but is open to abuse by employers getting cheap labour of people who have no choice but take take it. Just think if they got a proper weeks wages would be a whole lot better

over a year ago

I'm on the fence. Young people shouldn't turn down a job if they need one....but employers shouldn't abuse the jobs bridge scheme as a method to get free or cheap labour. And don't say that's not happening because it is. Many people are boycotting the scheme because of it.

over a year ago

I'm not sure what jobs this really entails. But I think it's a similar scheme as in other countries.

To be honest, if I lost my job I'd do pretty much any job I could get and not just the ones which 'interest' me. I'm sick and tired of hearing people say that some jobs are beneath them. At least they get some work experience. I doubt the bridge jobs offered to them are horrific and inhuman. It's a far better experience than sitting at home not doing anything. It also looks better on your CV.

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

"Sounds similar to steps to work which is in place here in the north personally I think it's potentially good but is open to abuse by employers getting cheap labour of people who have no choice but take take it. Just think if they got a proper weeks wages would be a whole lot better "

I agree to certain extent. I think initially the position should be viewed as training with the outlook it becomes a permanent position with full wages.

over a year ago

" I think initially the position should be viewed as training with the outlook it becomes a permanent position with full wages."

Trouble is a lot of the times it doesn't. They just say "sorry we've nothing for you" while the revolving door brings in another cheap emplyloyee...

over a year ago

Qualified, unemployed teachers are taking jobs in schools advertised under jobs bridge. This creates 3 tiers of pay in a staff. It is exploitation of people who are entitled to be paid for what they have qualified in. If you are not particularly qualified at anything and have never had a job then you should have to go on it. You should not be getting money for nothing if physically and mentally able to work.

over a year ago

people should not have to do jobs they dont have an interest in why should they so they can be miserable in a job that doesnt suit them or want. the goverment would have u doing anything just to suit them. if its in the area they want to break into good but u shouldnt be forced to do something you dont think is right for you. dont forget the letter the coach driver recieved from 1 of the goverment offices telling him there was a job going in a coach company in malta and good money. sure he didnt send his cv for it so lets stop his dole also.

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

" I think initially the position should be viewed as training with the outlook it becomes a permanent position with full wages.

Trouble is a lot of the times it doesn't. They just say "sorry we've nothing for you" while the revolving door brings in another cheap emplyloyee..."

I know it's the same with internships for college graduates (not all). There should be a quota or some sort of monitoring system for employers using the system.

over a year ago

"I'm on the fence. Young people shouldn't turn down a job if they need one....but employers shouldn't abuse the jobs bridge scheme as a method to get free or cheap labour. And don't say that's not happening because it is. Many people are boycotting the scheme because of it."

Good point, these employers should be fined if they are abusing the scheme but surely if we don't teach the young ones a work ethic the benefit culture will never be broken.

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

"I'm on the fence. Young people shouldn't turn down a job if they need one....but employers shouldn't abuse the jobs bridge scheme as a method to get free or cheap labour. And don't say that's not happening because it is. Many people are boycotting the scheme because of it."

the jobs bridge is just a thinly veiled slave labour process many of the company's are looking for graduates to work for nothing, i seen one where they where looking for somebody with 2 years plus experience to do it ? i think that defeats the point of jobs bridge/ internship all i know is i would never do a jobs bridge as id leave the country before i worked for nothing

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

[Removed by poster at 28/01/14 16:41:15]

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

"I'm on the fence. Young people shouldn't turn down a job if they need one....but employers shouldn't abuse the jobs bridge scheme as a method to get free or cheap labour. And don't say that's not happening because it is. Many people are boycotting the scheme because of it.

Good point, these employers should be fined if they are abusing the scheme but surely if we don't teach the young ones a work ethic the benefit culture will never be broken."

I agree it's a cycle that needs to be broken. I do think the reduction of jobseekers money based on age is a good idea that was implemented.

over a year ago

over a year ago

Back in the 80's jobs were scarce too and when I finished college the choice was more or less emigrate do an AnCo or Manpower scheme. I did a couple of schemes and was glad of them as they gave me experience of the work place, the work environment, work ethic, gave me confidence in myself and working with people and got me out of bed and the house. It gave me skills n experience which I was able to put into a CV and secure better paid work later on when employment opportunities improved. Depends on how you view these schemes but I see them as a step in the right direction.

over a year ago

I know lads who won't do it! There calling it slave labour where as they would do it in a situation earning a proper weekly wage

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

I can't imagine that there's a whole lot of young people who are dodging work so they can live it up on the €100 or so that they're entitled to on the dole at the moment, and that amount drops if they don't show that they've been actively seeking work. We've already seen where a petrol station in Donegal have taken on forecourt attendants through this scheme. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's been a while since I've seen a petrol station with a forecourt attendant (apart from that one) That one wouldn't have them either if it wasn't for this scheme.

There's also a serious danger that real workers are being done out of work to prop up a scheme that offers little in the way of benefits to anyone bar a fewunsc rupulous employers. Am I being a bit too cynical?

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

"I know lads who won't do it! There calling it slave labour where as they would do it in a situation earning a proper weekly wage "

But they see it ok to sit at home and do nothing and be handed money for it???

over a year ago

"I know lads who won't do it! There calling it slave labour where as they would do it in a situation earning a proper weekly wage

But they see it ok to sit at home and do nothing and be handed money for it???

"

the reply I got was, "I don't do nothing, I keep active and busy on a daily basis"

over a year ago

"I know this topic is not related to fun but I saw in the news today that young people could have their dole stopped or deducted if they refuse a jobs bridge position in an area their interested in! My question is, what's your view on the jobs bridge scheme and what do you make of this news item? "

im not sure what the jobs scheme is but i think the likes of those tht have never worked in their lives shud be made do this scheme or get no dole!!

over a year ago

"I know this topic is not related to fun but I saw in the news today that young people could have their dole stopped or deducted if they refuse a jobs bridge position in an area their interested in! My question is, what's your view on the jobs bridge scheme and what do you make of this news item?

im not sure what the jobs scheme is but i think the likes of those tht have never worked in their lives shud be made do this scheme or get no dole!!"

i agree! I don't like taring everyone with the one brush but there is some lazy individuals out there! A big problem we have is certain people thinking "I'm above" that job! I think so anyway

over a year ago

My mate was put on one. He was only qualified for 45 euro a week and because of jobs bridge he now get 95euro a week. He works different hours but full time shifts.. His bus costs him 7euro a day.. He works in a centra shop..

Now I think I'd rather sign off and tell social welfare to keep their 45€..

Ps he studied in college for 2 years and is certified in social care

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

Theoretically the idea is good but it's a short term solution to a long term problem.

over a year ago

"My mate was put on one. He was only qualified for 45 euro a week and because of jobs bridge he now get 95euro a week. He works different hours but full time shifts.. His bus costs him 7euro a day.. He works in a centra shop..

Ps he studied in college for 2 years and is certified in social care"

thats very tough! I would feel sorry for him

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/01/14 17:24:20]

over a year ago

"I know this topic is not related to fun but I saw in the news today that young people could have their dole stopped or deducted if they refuse a jobs bridge position in an area their interested in! My question is, what's your view on the jobs bridge scheme and what do you make of this news item?

im not sure what the jobs scheme is but i think the likes of those tht have never worked in their lives shud be made do this scheme or get no dole!!i agree! I don't like taring everyone with the one brush but there is some lazy individuals out there! A big problem we have is certain people thinking "I'm above" that job! I think so anyway "

my sisters out of work ages!she went for an interview for a job as an receptionist tht she got off a fas website a while ago,they told her she wud be on trial fo about 4 wks without pay and then she wudnt be guarenteed a job!thts unfair!just taking advantage of ppl tht are desperate for work!

over a year ago

im not sure what the jobs scheme is but i think the likes of those tht have never worked in their lives shud be made do this scheme or get no dole!!i agree! I don't like taring everyone with the one brush but there is some lazy individuals out there! A big problem we have is certain people thinking "I'm above" that job! I think so anyway

my sisters out of work ages!she went for an interview for a job as an receptionist tht she got off a fas website a while ago,they told her she wud be on trial fo about 4 wks without pay and then she wudnt be guarenteed a job!thts unfair!just taking advantage of ppl tht are desperate for work!"

thats disgraceful! Let's be honest, do you expect anybody to work for nothing?

over a year ago

We have 2 persons in our office on this scheme. I personally think it is fantastic as both people have completed masters degrees in their respected fields and just could not get work. They are both very happy working and gaining lots of experiance. More than likely one will be offered a job with us and the other will now have some real work experiance with good referance and more oppurtunity. Without this both would have had to emigrate or work at something not related to their qualifications.

Just my view but I am full supportive of this!

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"We have 2 persons in our office on this scheme. I personally think it is fantastic as both people have completed masters degrees in their respected fields and just could not get work. They are both very happy working and gaining lots of experiance. More than likely one will be offered a job with us and the other will now have some real work experiance with good referance and more oppurtunity. Without this both would have had to emigrate or work at something not related to their qualifications.

Just my view but I am full supportive of this!"

It's a good idea when applied properly, but petrol station attendants have no prospects.

over a year ago

im not sure what the jobs scheme is but i think the likes of those tht have never worked in their lives shud be made do this scheme or get no dole!!i agree! I don't like taring everyone with the one brush but there is some lazy individuals out there! A big problem we have is certain people thinking "I'm above" that job! I think so anyway

my sisters out of work ages!she went for an interview for a job as an receptionist tht she got off a fas website a while ago,they told her she wud be on trial fo about 4 wks without pay and then she wudnt be guarenteed a job!thts unfair!just taking advantage of ppl tht are desperate for work!thats disgraceful! Let's be honest, do you expect anybody to work for nothing?"

i know,but thts whats happening in sum places now

over a year ago

Hi Michael,

Of course it is open to abuse but is'nt everything? I do not agree with people being forced into work but I also cannot understand someone who would choose not to work even just for the prospect of getting some real work experiance and an oppurtunity to network and maybe get something that they would like to do.

It is always easier to get employment once in employment. There will always be differing points of few on this but I can only speak for the 2 people that I know that have taken the oppurtunity and its is most definitily positive result for them. Cheers.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

I know somebody who is a trained telephone engineer working for contractors who basically want him to work seven days train

theses new people: and they have a feeling after the training them be told sorry agency work sorry ur no longer required. The new people that have been trained will work for less money. That is so unfair.

over a year ago

"Hi Michael,

Of course it is open to abuse but is'nt everything? I do not agree with people being forced into work but I also cannot understand someone who would choose not to work even just for the prospect of getting some real work experiance and an oppurtunity to network and maybe get something that they would like to do.

It is always easier to get employment once in employment. There will always be differing points of few on this but I can only speak for the 2 people that I know that have taken the oppurtunity and its is most definitily positive result for them. Cheers."

yea id wud work for 2 wks without pay if i was gaurenteed a job,but i wudnt work for 3 or 4 wks and then be told i mite not get employment,i dont think many ppl wud,thts just taking advantage in my eyes!

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

Unfortunately the employer has the upper hand if you won't do it someone else will.

over a year ago

"Unfortunately the employer has the upper hand if you won't do it someone else will.

"

over a year ago

"Hi Michael,

It is always easier to get employment once in employment. There will always be differing points of few on this but I can only speak for the 2 people that I know that have taken the oppurtunity and its is most definitily positive result for them. Cheers."

Especially for young people who have no or very little work experience - pretty much any job can teach them skills they haven't acquired yet. It will make them much better candidates for future job opportunities.

over a year ago

"Hi Michael,

I agree with everything u say.. But there's transport to consider, clothes unless ur lucky enough to have a uniform and then ppl with kids.. There's all that expense.. Yes experience looks great on the cv but it's not gonna feed the family, or keep a roof over your head..

I'm talking from my mates experience..

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

"l

It's a good idea when applied properly, but petrol station attendants have no prospects. "

Every job has prospects. There are skills associated with all jobs eg customer service, team skills etc. You take from a job what you put in.

over a year ago

"Hi Michael,

It is always easier to get employment once in employment. There will always be differing points of few on this but I can only speak for the 2 people that I know that have taken the oppurtunity and its is most definitily positive result for them. Cheers.

Especially for young people who have no or very little work experience - pretty much any job can teach them skills they haven't acquired yet. It will make them much better candidates for future job opportunities. "

Yes I believe it is most benifical for young people without any work experiance (starting out in career. But it is open for abuse for employers to take in experinced people for the own short term gains only and then move onto the next person. Unfortunitily this is hard to control. In contradiction to what the government and news spins out, it is still really difficult out there and for people out of work to get work. Any oppurtunity has to be taken and with all there will be good and bad.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"Hi Michael,

I agree, but the case you mentioned is one of the proper ones. It's the employers that should not have been allowed participate that give the scheme a bad name. Even still, I'm sure most people would be happy to be doing anything at all rather than sitting looking at four walls every day. There's a modern trend of lambasting anyone who is on the dole, partly fed by some dubious TV programmes and a few right wing English newspapers, and it bothers me a little. People are rarely "living it up" on the dole, and I believe the overwhelming majority would work at anything if the opportunity was there.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"l

It's a good idea when applied properly, but petrol station attendants have no prospects.

Every job has prospects. There are skills associated with all jobs eg customer service, team skills etc. You take from a job what you put in."

Petrol? Sure you'd be locked up if you started taking that

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"l

Every job has prospects. There are skills associated with all jobs eg customer service, team skills etc. You take from a job what you put in."

Seriously though, the only thing you'll learn from that is that you're a commodity, to be used as and when! Such employers are not supposed to be participating in the job bridge scheme. It is a job which does not exist outside of the scheme. It makes no sense.

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

"l

Every job has prospects. There are skills associated with all jobs eg customer service, team skills etc. You take from a job what you put in.

Seriously though, the only thing you'll learn from that is that you're a commodity, to be used as and when! Such employers are not supposed to be participating in the job bridge scheme. It is a job which does not exist outside of the scheme. It makes no sense. "

Well obviously it is if it's being used!!!

By *rishCouple2kCouple
over a year ago

Berkshire

My background is in retail management and military.

But due to the "recession" im unemployed. At present im 8 months into my 9 months internship in Dell. And i can confirm that i wont be kept on. As they offerin redundancy to people.

I get €50 extra a week. But i spend bout €60 a week on food, petrol etc.

What would be best- 9 months internship but guaranteed job at end if manager happy.

Otherwise it just looks good on CV instead of siting on my ass

IC

over a year ago

"My background is in retail management and military.

But due to the "recession" im unemployed. At present im 8 months into my 9 months internship in Dell. And i can confirm that i wont be kept on. As they offerin redundancy to people.

I get €50 extra a week. But i spend bout €60 a week on food, petrol etc.

What would be best- 9 months internship but guaranteed job at end if manager happy.

Otherwise it just looks good on CV instead of siting on my ass

Hi, Yes it looks much better and it keeps you upskilled!

IC"

over a year ago

My daughter is getting 40€ a week on the dole , now she is going to emigrate to find work ..... Is that fair . Both myself and her father have worked all our lives and yet I see people all around me who come from a background of no employment and no interest in even looking for a job ... Why because they would be worse off .... It's one rule for us and another rule for them ....

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"Back in the 80's jobs were scarce too and when I finished college the choice was more or less emigrate do an AnCo or Manpower scheme. I did a couple of schemes and was glad of them as they gave me experience of the work place, the work environment, work ethic, gave me confidence in myself and working with people and got me out of bed and the house. It gave me skills n experience which I was able to put into a CV and secure better paid work later on when employment opportunities improved. Depends on how you view these schemes but I see them as a step in the right direction. "

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"l

Seriously though, the only thing you'll learn from that is that you're a commodity, to be used as and when! Such employers are not supposed to be participating in the job bridge scheme. It is a job which does not exist outside of the scheme. It makes no sense.

Well obviously it is if it's being used!!!"

It's only being used because they can be got for €50 per week. Once the time is up, there's no job, and there never was any prospect of a job.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

In summary, I think it's a good idea, but it is being abused by some, and there is no difficulty in policing the scheme to stop exploitation by unscrupulous employers. Remember the taxpayer is being exploited as well in those cases. Sin deireanach!

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

"My daughter is getting 40€ a week on the dole , now she is going to emigrate to find work ..... Is that fair . Both myself and her father have worked all our lives and yet I see people all around me who come from a background of no employment and no interest in even looking for a job ... Why because they would be worse off .... It's one rule for us and another rule for them .... "

Can I ask what type work is she looking for??

My daughter moved to Dublin because she couldn't get the work she wanted here in Galway. Yes higher cost of living but loves her job and only 3 hours away by bus.

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"In summary, I think it's a good idea, but it is being abused by some, and there is no difficulty in policing the scheme to stop exploitation by unscrupulous employers. Remember the taxpayer is being exploited as well in those cases. Sin deireanach! "

have to agree with u on all the above points mick but u also have those who would not pump petrol because they think its above them so to speak if i was an employer looking for a graduate and on his cv it read petrol pump attendant i would ask why and if his reply was jobs bridge while i was looking for my chosen career well i think he be a step up from the next one who sat around

remember every scheme is open to abuse and if somebody feels that is the case the employer should be reported to the scheme mangers

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

Good thread topic op.

over a year ago

"Good thread topic op. "
thanks! It's just I know a lot of people have different views on this scheme

over a year ago

bang on.....check the shitty jobs....there all the seasonal and part tine jobs.... As little as the pay they pay less on shit scheme

over a year ago

" I think initially the position should be viewed as training with the outlook it becomes a permanent position with full wages.

Trouble is a lot of the times it doesn't. They just say "sorry we've nothing for you" while the revolving door brings in another cheap emplyloyee..."

bang on too

over a year ago

"I can't imagine that there's a whole lot of young people who are dodging work so they can live it up on the €100 or so that they're entitled to on the dole at the moment, and that amount drops if they don't show that they've been actively seeking work. We've already seen where a petrol station in Donegal have taken on forecourt attendants through this scheme. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's been a while since I've seen a petrol station with a forecourt attendant (apart from that one) That one wouldn't have them either if it wasn't for this scheme.

There's also a serious danger that real workers are being done out of work to prop up a scheme that offers little in the way of benefits to anyone bar a fewunsc rupulous employers. Am I being a bit too cynical? "

no your not..... Its free labour for people....nottin more

over a year ago

im not sure what the jobs scheme is but i think the likes of those tht have never worked in their lives shud be made do this scheme or get no dole!!"

that will prob result in a rapid increase in homelessness

over a year ago

"My mate was put on one. He was only qualified for 45 euro a week and because of jobs bridge he now get 95euro a week. He works different hours but full time shifts.. His bus costs him 7euro a day.. He works in a centra shop..

Ps he studied in college for 2 years and is certified in social carethats very tough! I would feel sorry for him "

rhats the norm in this scheme

over a year ago

I agree good topic. And nice to see all the different opinions and no fall outs despite all of that!

over a year ago

im not sure what the jobs scheme is but i think the likes of those tht have never worked in their lives shud be made do this scheme or get no dole!! that will prob result in a rapid increase in homelessness "

off course it wudnt!they wud just have to do the scheme!

By *omcattyMan
over a year ago

Local

of course there dole shd be cut or reduced if they refuse to take a job,,,,

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 29/01/14 11:27:32]

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 29/01/14 11:28:10]

over a year ago

of course there dole shd be cut or reduced if they refuse to take a job,,,, "

lots of different opinions on this item tom, was good to read them

over a year ago

of course there dole shd be cut or reduced if they refuse to take a job,,,, "

but that isnt the question.....should they be cut if they refuse a scheme.... which dosnt pay wages....and in rhe most cases...dosnt lead to job.....and dosnt give relative experience at all

over a year ago

People on the dole.... well well..I'll try not to rant! Benefits should be stopped immediately if they refuse work. There are people who commute half their day to work. There is no excuse. Also if they have found a job in a month. Stop benefit. I left a job. Didn't claim as I left. Looked for a job I WANTED for 3 months. Then money started pinching. I needed a job. So looked for a job as I NEEDED one. I got one within 2 days. Jobs are there. Some just need to man up and work wherever. If you need it, get it.

over a year ago

"People on the dole.... well well..I'll try not to rant! Benefits should be stopped immediately if they refuse work. There are people who commute half their day to work. There is no excuse. Also if they have found a job in a month. Stop benefit. I left a job. Didn't claim as I left. Looked for a job I WANTED for 3 months. Then money started pinching. I needed a job. So looked for a job as I NEEDED one. I got one within 2 days. Jobs are there. Some just need to man up and work wherever. If you need it, get it."
thats the issue! A lot of people won't just work anywhere, they want in a job that they think they might like, whatever that may be

over a year ago

I know but that's the thing. The authorities need to find a way of sorting that out. We would all want a job that we want. I'd say 70% of the work force is doing a job they don't want. However we work that job because we have to. We need to. God I hate this subject!! It gets my back up lol no more for me lol

over a year ago

in a way it is the right thing to do. but experiences with similar schemes eg in Germany showed that potential employers "abuse" ppl on it.

they would keep changing employees within the job bridge scheme, cheap labour. so in a way I am against it.

over a year ago

"People on the dole.... well well..I'll try not to rant! Benefits should be stopped immediately if they refuse work. There are people who commute half their day to work. There is no excuse. Also if they have found a job in a month. Stop benefit. I left a job. Didn't claim as I left. Looked for a job I WANTED for 3 months. Then money started pinching. I needed a job. So looked for a job as I NEEDED one. I got one within 2 days. Jobs are there. Some just need to man up and work wherever. If you need it, get it.thats the issue! A lot of people won't just work anywhere, they want in a job that they think they might like, whatever that may be"
men yer missing the point.....yes people should take any job....but all these jobs are being replaced by feckin so called schemes and unpaid interships....so the question is should people be cut if they dont accept these schemes.....my mother is almost 60....health care and social qualified..... coulnt find a local job....they were all replaced by theae schemes...she had to take one..... she has to travel 50 miles each day... buy her own lunch fuel clothing...etc for work.....9-3 5days a week.. for 9 months with no promise of future job.....and she works out 20euro less a week in her pamement...... the position she is filling could have been a job paid..... just like all the other scheme jobs....scheme me hole....scam

over a year ago

"People on the dole.... well well..I'll try not to rant! Benefits should be stopped immediately if they refuse work. There are people who commute half their day to work. There is no excuse. Also if they have found a job in a month. Stop benefit. I left a job. Didn't claim as I left. Looked for a job I WANTED for 3 months. Then money started pinching. I needed a job. So looked for a job as I NEEDED one. I got one within 2 days. Jobs are there. Some just need to man up and work wherever. If you need it, get it.thats the issue! A lot of people won't just work anywhere, they want in a job that they think they might like, whatever that may be men yer missing the point.....yes people should take any job....but all these jobs are being replaced by feckin so called schemes and unpaid interships....so the question is should people be cut if they dont accept these schemes.....my mother is almost 60....health care and social qualified..... coulnt find a local job....they were all replaced by theae schemes...she had to take one..... she has to travel 50 miles each day... buy her own lunch fuel clothing...etc for work.....9-3 5days a week.. for 9 months with no promise of future job.....and she works out 20euro less a week in her pamement...... the position she is filling could have been a job paid..... just like all the other scheme jobs....scheme me hole....scam "
yes see it not just the job, travelling clothing petrol etc are taken into account! Basically your working for 50 a week and that 50 along with more money in a lot of cases gets deducted weekly

over a year ago

Get rid of the schemes. But keep the no take paid work, your benefit is cut. Only cut benefit if they refuse paid work.

over a year ago

"People on the dole.... well well..I'll try not to rant! Benefits should be stopped immediately if they refuse work. There are people who commute half their day to work. There is no excuse. Also if they have found a job in a month. Stop benefit. I left a job. Didn't claim as I left. Looked for a job I WANTED for 3 months. Then money started pinching. I needed a job. So looked for a job as I NEEDED one. I got one within 2 days. Jobs are there. Some just need to man up and work wherever. If you need it, get it.thats the issue! A lot of people won't just work anywhere, they want in a job that they think they might like, whatever that may be men yer missing the point.....yes people should take any job....but all these jobs are being replaced by feckin so called schemes and unpaid interships....so the question is should people be cut if they dont accept these schemes.....my mother is almost 60....health care and social qualified..... coulnt find a local job....they were all replaced by theae schemes...she had to take one..... she has to travel 50 miles each day... buy her own lunch fuel clothing...etc for work.....9-3 5days a week.. for 9 months with no promise of future job.....and she works out 20euro less a week in her pamement...... the position she is filling could have been a job paid..... just like all the other scheme jobs....scheme me hole....scam "

By *omcattyMan
over a year ago

Local

of course there dole shd be cut or reduced if they refuse to take a job,,,, but that isnt the question.....should they be cut if they refuse a scheme.... which dosnt pay wages....and in rhe most cases...dosnt lead to job.....and dosnt give relative experience at all"

jack your making me mad I've had one person on the scheme and now I've employed him, sitting on your ass at home on da dole waiting for a magic job to turn up is a waste of time

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

"I agree good topic. And nice to see all the different opinions and no fall outs despite all of that! "

Didn't last....

By *avie tCouple
over a year ago

otherside of nowhere

"Back in the 80's jobs were scarce too and when I finished college the choice was more or less emigrate do an AnCo or Manpower scheme. I did a couple of schemes and was glad of them as they gave me experience of the work place, the work environment, work ethic, gave me confidence in myself and working with people and got me out of bed and the house. It gave me skills n experience which I was able to put into a CV and secure better paid work later on when employment opportunities improved. Depends on how you view these schemes but I see them as a step in the right direction. "

couldent agree with you more cheeky i would think there is nothing more soul destroying for a young person then getting benifits and if it goes on too long then any kind of zest for life is gone so yes take a job any job even if you feel you are over educated cause theres more to learn from life that will never be covered in a text book

over a year ago

Well myself was on some thing like these schemes but i never got paid for it all i got was 156.40 a week job seekers allowance i never got any help to an from the job regarding buses that was costing me about 40 euro a week then i had to buy my own luch/dinner that was costing between 20 and 30 a week the rest went on rent for my house even though i was working for free in a kitchen on day 3 we where down a man so there was more cleaning to be done pots etc at 1pm i started work at 10.40pm the head chef came into me and said i think ur gonna have that finshed by 11pm as i had to catch my last bus home at 11pm an they where fully aware that i ha to catch that bu in the end he said u can get a taxi and lock up for us heres the code for the alarm i could of rob the place blind in the end i refused to stay an got the bus haven heard anything since an that was 2 weeks ago also they neve game me a little break that day

over a year ago

of course there dole shd be cut or reduced if they refuse to take a job,,,, but that isnt the question.....should they be cut if they refuse a scheme.... which dosnt pay wages....and in rhe most cases...dosnt lead to job.....and dosnt give relative experience at all

jack your making me mad I've had one person on the scheme and now I've employed him, sitting on your ass at home on da dole waiting for a magic job to turn up is a waste of time "

fuck all anyone is doing that....according to the social welfare....they have reapeated that a very small number are wanting to sit at home and be on benefits....this myth that tones of irish people want to be on social welfare is noting more than a myth....according to the scoial welfare its self....

over a year ago

"People on the dole.... well well..I'll try not to rant! Benefits should be stopped immediately if they refuse work. There are people who commute half their day to work. There is no excuse. Also if they have found a job in a month. Stop benefit. I left a job. Didn't claim as I left. Looked for a job I WANTED for 3 months. Then money started pinching. I needed a job. So looked for a job as I NEEDED one. I got one within 2 days. Jobs are there. Some just need to man up and work wherever. If you need it, get it."

By *omcattyMan
over a year ago

Local

of course there dole shd be cut or reduced if they refuse to take a job,,,, but that isnt the question.....should they be cut if they refuse a scheme.... which dosnt pay wages....and in rhe most cases...dosnt lead to job.....and dosnt give relative experience at all

jack your making me mad I've had one person on the scheme and now I've employed him, sitting on your ass at home on da dole waiting for a magic job to turn up is a waste of time fuck all anyone is doing that....according to the social welfare....they have reapeated that a very small number are wanting to sit at home and be on benefits....this myth that tones of irish people want to be on social welfare is noting more than a myth....according to the scoial welfare its self...."

a single person in England gets 50 quid a week here it's almost 200,,it's way too much, must say I'd b tempted to sit on my star all wk doing nothing for 200 but some of us got to work and b taxed to pay the welfare,if u refuse a job get it dole cut,

over a year ago

jack your making me mad I've had one person on the scheme and now I've employed him, sitting on your ass at home on da dole waiting for a magic job to turn up is a waste of time fuck all anyone is doing that....according to the social welfare....they have reapeated that a very small number are wanting to sit at home and be on benefits....this myth that tones of irish people want to be on social welfare is noting more than a myth....according to the scoial welfare its self....

a single person in England gets 50 quid a week here it's almost 200,,it's way too much, must say I'd b tempted to sit on my star all wk doing nothing for 200 but some of us got to work and b taxed to pay the welfare,if u refuse a job get it dole cut, "

englands price of living is cheaper then ours, that's why I reckon the dole is different! I was in the uk! I saw 2 young people on a union on tv a few weeks ago and there was a debate on this jobs bridge scheme! The 2 of them criticised the scheme wholeheartedly and also said there was statistics from a survey to prove it doesn't work

By *omcattyMan
over a year ago

Local

jack your making me mad I've had one person on the scheme and now I've employed him, sitting on your ass at home on da dole waiting for a magic job to turn up is a waste of time fuck all anyone is doing that....according to the social welfare....they have reapeated that a very small number are wanting to sit at home and be on benefits....this myth that tones of irish people want to be on social welfare is noting more than a myth....according to the scoial welfare its self....

a single person in England gets 50 quid a week here it's almost 200,,it's way too much, must say I'd b tempted to sit on my star all wk doing nothing for 200 but some of us got to work and b taxed to pay the welfare,if u refuse a job get it dole cut, englands price of living is cheaper then ours, that's why I reckon the dole is different! I was in the uk! I saw 2 young people on a union on tv a few weeks ago and there was a debate on this jobs bridge scheme! The 2 of them criticised the scheme wholeheartedly and also said there was statistics from a survey to prove it doesn't work "

what survey ? department statistics are showing an 80% success rate

over a year ago

a single person in England gets 50 quid a week here it's almost 200,,it's way too much, must say I'd b tempted to sit on my star all wk doing nothing for 200 but some of us got to work and b taxed to pay the welfare,if u refuse a job get it dole cut, englands price of living is cheaper then ours, that's why I reckon the dole is different! I was in the uk! I saw 2 young people on a union on tv a few weeks ago and there was a debate on this jobs bridge scheme! The 2 of them criticised the scheme wholeheartedly and also said there was statistics from a survey to prove it doesn't work

what survey ? department statistics are showing an 80% success rate "

These 2 on the union(young people) 78 % are getting know work from it, concrete work and it's fruitless! They said it's complete slave labour making people work for 50 euro with in most cases no full time job at the end! I'm going by this programme! I'm not gonna let on to know anything about it

over a year ago

I dont mind that they have too do it I think that is fair but they should be paid a fair amount to do it not just 50 more they. That way it is not just treated as slave labor for the employers. They should be paid the same as any employee in the company they are sent too. the incentive to employ them should be not PRSI etc but paid the same as every employee .

over a year ago

"I dont mind that they have too do it I think that is fair but they should be paid a fair amount to do it not just 50 more they. That way it is not just treated as slave labor for the employers. They should be paid the same as any employee in the company they are sent too. the incentive to employ them should be not PRSI etc but paid the same as every employee ."

over a year ago

a single person in England gets 50 quid a week here it's almost 200,,it's way too much, must say I'd b tempted to sit on my star all wk doing nothing for 200 but some of us got to work and b taxed to pay the welfare,if u refuse a job get it dole cut, englands price of living is cheaper then ours, that's why I reckon the dole is different! I was in the uk! I saw 2 young people on a union on tv a few weeks ago and there was a debate on this jobs bridge scheme! The 2 of them criticised the scheme wholeheartedly and also said there was statistics from a survey to prove it doesn't work

an 80 sucess rate in the uptake of scheme......aka 80% of paid jobs in this catagorey have become unpaid schemes......sucesss

over a year ago

an 80 sucess rate in the uptake of scheme......aka 80% of paid jobs in this catagorey have become unpaid schemes......sucesss

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

Do ye not think the incentive will be to find alternative gainfull employment because if I was on this scheme I would be doing my damndest to get off it instead of whinging about it.

I think this scheme is a positive approach to getting people back to work albeit a few glitches. I'd like to give it the benefit of the doubt as it's only early stage yet.

over a year ago

"I dont mind that they have too do it I think that is fair but they should be paid a fair amount to do it not just 50 more they. That way it is not just treated as slave labor for the employers. They should be paid the same as any employee in the company they are sent too. the incentive to employ them should be not PRSI etc but paid the same as every employee ."

Speaking as an employer, my businesses are fully staffed by experienced employees, I am in business to make a profit, slightly more than I could make if I had my money in the bank.

I don't need any extra staff, in fact trying to make enough money to pay the people I have is getting harder every day.

I do believe in helping people, and will give youngsters a chance to gain some work experience in the hope that they can go on and provide for themselves and their families,

each and everyone of us has started somewhere, I started age 12 delivering newspapers, 7 mornings and evenings a week, before and after school.

To take inexperienced young people into my business costs me money, and causes disruption, having to move an experienced employee from their job to train and mentor the young person.

I would not want to pay any wages, the social security benefit should fund the training period, You can not buy experience, and job based experience can give a good foundation to someone who does actually want to work.

Back in the 80's The YTS ( youth training scheme was introduced, and youngsters went on employment focused training courses in colleges, and business, each youngster came with a £3500 allowance to the college or business, and the colleges set up new courses, departments just to get the numbers and money, The scheme, created wealth for colleges, and took people of the benefits numbers, so looked good from a political perspective,

However there were never enough courses that people wanted to do, the mechanics courses always filled up first, then building, catering and hairdressing.

For several years people who provided the training got rich, the youngsters had no choice, go on a course or lose your benefits. many of them had do do courses they had no interest in,

If I was 16 and wanted to be an electrician, I would fight to get work experience. and wouldn't see it as slavery, I would be so happy to get some hope, and if I put some effort in, I know it would open doors for me.

By *omcattyMan
over a year ago

Local

what survey ? department statistics are showing an 80% success rate These 2 on the union(young people) 78 % are getting know work from it, concrete work and it's fruitless! They said it's complete slave labour making people work for 50 euro with in most cases no full time job at the end! I'm going by this programme! I'm not gonna let on to know anything about it "

Two lads on tv,,,lol,,,

over a year ago

what survey ? department statistics are showing an 80% success rate These 2 on the union(young people) 78 % are getting know work from it, concrete work and it's fruitless! They said it's complete slave labour making people work for 50 euro with in most cases no full time job at the end! I'm going by this programme! I'm not gonna let on to know anything about it

Two lads on tv,,,lol,,,"

a chap and a girl who are on a union! As far as I understand the point their making is easy understand! Whether it's true or not is another thing

By *omcattyMan
over a year ago

Local

stop watching tv and look for a scheme u can get on.

over a year ago

"stop watching tv and look for a scheme u can get on."
so don't listen to 2 people on a union who look into this state is that what your saying? I'm ok I'm not in a position to need a jobs bridge but I do no qualified people who won't do it!

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"

Two lads on tv,,,lol,,,"

Lol, it's almost as mad as quoting people on a swingers website!

over a year ago

i just completed an internship and it worked for me i up-skilled and got a job from it. what i don't agree with is the likes of shops advertising the roll of cashiers and jobs like this which don't offer upskilling. these in fact are taken jobs from ppl.

over a year ago

"Do ye not think the incentive will be to find alternative gainfull employment because if I was on this scheme I would be doing my damndest to get off it instead of whinging about it.

I think this scheme is a positive approach to getting people back to work albeit a few glitches. I'd like to give it the benefit of the doubt as it's only early stage yet."

It is a positive scheme but it could also be classed as cheep workforce for certain employers but as was stated if it is a proper training scheme for more than a cleaner or checkout worker cash car wash attendant and paid the same rate with other incentives to the employer it would be fair but it does stop people who already have the skills getting the job as it is free workforce for employers

over a year ago

"Do ye not think the incentive will be to find alternative gainfull employment because if I was on this scheme I would be doing my damndest to get off it instead of whinging about it.

I think this scheme is a positive approach to getting people back to work albeit a few glitches. I'd like to give it the benefit of the doubt as it's only early stage yet.

It is a positive scheme but it could also be classed as cheep workforce for certain employers but as was stated if it is a proper training scheme for more than a cleaner or checkout worker cash car wash attendant and paid the same rate with other incentives to the employer it would be fair but it does stop people who already have the skills getting the job as it is free workforce for employers"

LOL, a cleaner, and check out operator are both important, skilled jobs, without a cleaner you couldn't have a surgeon, with out a checkout operator you would have no industry, until something is sold there is no business!!

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

It is a positive scheme but it could also be classed as cheep workforce for certain employers but as was stated if it is a proper training scheme for more than a cleaner or checkout worker cash car wash attendant and paid the same rate with other incentives to the employer it would be fair but it does stop people who already have the skills getting the job as it is free workforce for employers"

And do these jobs not require training?? Or are we back to the attitude of being 'above' these positions??

By *omcattyMan
over a year ago

Local

It is a positive scheme but it could also be classed as cheep workforce for certain employers but as was stated if it is a proper training scheme for more than a cleaner or checkout worker cash car wash attendant and paid the same rate with other incentives to the employer it would be fair but it does stop people who already have the skills getting the job as it is free workforce for employers

And do these jobs not require training?? Or are we back to the attitude of being 'above' these positions?? "

sme ppl prefer being dolies, nothing wrong with working in a hotel kitchen

over a year ago

Alot of debate on this two months ago and I posted that we had 2 persons in on this scheme in the office.

These 2 persons where degree qualified almost 2 years but could not get a job or experience in their respective fields. I am glad to say both are now in fulltime employment in their chosen career's. They both said it was mainly down to work experience that got them to the table!

Also I failed to mention before that we where audited to make sure that they where not being exploited - This was an issue when this scheme came about.

Anyway my good story for the day

By *imwildWoman
over a year ago

around

"Alot of debate on this two months ago and I posted that we had 2 persons in on this scheme in the office.

These 2 persons where degree qualified almost 2 years but could not get a job or experience in their respective fields. I am glad to say both are now in fulltime employment in their chosen career's. They both said it was mainly down to work experience that got them to the table!

Also I failed to mention before that we where audited to make sure that they where not being exploited - This was an issue when this scheme came about.

Anyway my good story for the day "

Delighted. Nice to hear positive news.

Post new Message to Thread