Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Fonemenders

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My i phone gave up about 3 weeks ago, the phone company sent it for repair. The repair company said it was water damaged and wanted 200 euro to fix it!! I gave it to the tech repair shop where I live and they have done the job for 55. Im happy but feel like swinging for the fonemenders, and not the good kind! Thank God I didnt cough up that money

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Your phone wont be covered by guarantee anymore for other "faults"... I had to get screen replaced in my phone and cost €165 and if had got someone else to do it any other faults wouldnt be covered.

over a year ago

"My i phone gave up about 3 weeks ago, the phone company sent it for repair. The repair company said it was water damaged and wanted 200 euro to fix it!! I gave it to the tech repair shop where I live and they have done the job for 55. Im happy but feel like swinging for the fonemenders, and not the good kind! Thank God I didnt cough up that money"
Cool story brah.

over a year ago

It was out of warranty any way cause the fonemenders said it was water damaged, which was news to me, cause it worked properly until the moment it stopped while sitting on my couch.

over a year ago

These warranties are a joke as indeed are most of the gadget insurance policies. I had a work iphone. It was two months old. I was going on holidays for a week and left my iphone in the drawer while I was away. When I got back it wouldn't start up. Sent to the phone company and they did a diagnostic on it and said it was "water damaged". Now how they managed to do a diagnostic on a phone that was utterly dead was beyond me, as was the idea that a phone in a drawer could have been water damaged. Maybe if Noahs flood had come and gone and everything had dried out.

Was at them for months before I gave up. They never moved an inch on it

over a year ago

I had war with 3 for a year over my bill, i got on to com reg at the end, i kept at em and was so mad i made a note of everything they said on the phone. They gave in eventually. I went on some piss up after that. I felt like I had been acquitted at a murder trial. (I have no experience of that, just to say)

By *omcattyMan
over a year ago

Local

"These warranties are a joke as indeed are most of the gadget insurance policies. I had a work iphone. It was two months old. I was going on holidays for a week and left my iphone in the drawer while I was away. When I got back it wouldn't start up. Sent to the phone company and they did a diagnostic on it and said it was "water damaged". Now how they managed to do a diagnostic on a phone that was utterly dead was beyond me, as was the idea that a phone in a drawer could have been water damaged. Maybe if Noahs flood had come and gone and everything had dried out.

Was at them for months before I gave up. They never moved an inch on it "

I had exatcly the same thing happen but then weeks later A female friend admitted she had used it in an inappropiate way,,,,,

over a year ago

just on a side note if you put the wet/ damp phone in a bag of ordinary rice and leave in the hotpress for a couple of days this also dries it out and fixes it

By *omcattyMan
over a year ago

Local

"just on a side note if you put the wet/ damp phone in a bag of ordinary rice and leave in the hotpress for a couple of days this also dries it out and fixes it"

And can you still eat the rice ?

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"just on a side note if you put the wet/ damp phone in a bag of ordinary rice and leave in the hotpress for a couple of days this also dries it out and fixes it

And can you still eat the rice ? "

Sure wouldn't it be nicely steamed?

By *omcattyMan
over a year ago

Local

"just on a side note if you put the wet/ damp phone in a bag of ordinary rice and leave in the hotpress for a couple of days this also dries it out and fixes it

And can you still eat the rice ?

Sure wouldn't it be nicely steamed? "

Im just amazed a few grains of rice will bring an ifone back to life,,the things we learn on fab,,,,

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

I remember my HTC Desire suffering the dreaded water damage on a couple of occasions. There was a little tab on the inside, under the battery, and it changed colour if it got wet. They checked the colour and just wrote it off if it was water damaged.

By *omcattyMan
over a year ago

Local

"I remember my HTC Desire suffering the dreaded water damage on a couple of occasions. There was a little tab on the inside, under the battery, and it changed colour if it got wet. They checked the colour and just wrote it off if it was water damaged. "

They probably had some uncle bens behind the counter,,,,

over a year ago

While we are talking about phones. I have a HTC one mini and can't view cams in chat or make video calls. Any geeks out there have any help for me

over a year ago

"just on a side note if you put the wet/ damp phone in a bag of ordinary rice and leave in the hotpress for a couple of days this also dries it out and fixes it"

That can work (I dropped an iphone in the loo fished it out quickly and the rice in a sealed ziplock bag worked)

BUT a week later I dropped it in the river (this Iphone was not going to live) tried the same and after a few days bought it to the phone repair store. The guy there said that with wet phones its important you get the phone in for repair asap because the longer its on its own the worse.

So maybe if your phone gets wet rather than get out the Uncle bens get on the bike and hightail it to a repair shop

over a year ago

That can work (I dropped an iphone in the loo fished it out quickly and the rice in a sealed ziplock bag worked)

BUT a week later I dropped it in the river (this Iphone was not going to live) tried the same and after a few days bought it to the phone repair store. The guy there said that with wet phones its important you get the phone in for repair asap because the longer its on its own the worse.

So maybe if your phone gets wet rather than get out the Uncle bens get on the bike and hightail it to a repair shop"

might be worth your while investing in a waterproof phone

over a year ago

I have the Sony waterproof phone and can confirm it works. In fact I got it wet many times for the craic!

About the rice trick: you only stand a good chance if you see the phone getting wet, get it out of the water and separate the battery from the phone (if you can) and don't put it back in until both are 100% BONE DRY, and then you still only have a 50/50 chance.

By *omcattyMan
over a year ago

Local

So maybe if your phone gets wet rather than get out the Uncle bens get on the bike and hightail it to a repair shop"

I still think its worth giving the rice a go,,especially if its late at night and you know theres nobody to call or help save your wet fone, i wonder if there was no rice available and you were panicking is there any other grain suitable,,,,,,,

By *egularFunMan
over a year ago

"While we are talking about phones. I have a HTC one mini and can't view cams in chat or make video calls. Any geeks out there have any help for me "

Never got cams in chat to work, but I can't see why video calls don't work, what happens when you try?

over a year ago

"While we are talking about phones. I have a HTC one mini and can't view cams in chat or make video calls. Any geeks out there have any help for me

Never got cams in chat to work, but I can't see why video calls don't work, what happens when you try?"

It doesnt even give me the option when I'm in my contacts for a video call

By *egularFunMan
over a year ago

"While we are talking about phones. I have a HTC one mini and can't view cams in chat or make video calls. Any geeks out there have any help for me

Never got cams in chat to work, but I can't see why video calls don't work, what happens when you try?

It doesnt even give me the option when I'm in my contacts for a video call "

Seriously? That's weird, will see what I can find out, think one of my mates had one gor a while

By *egularFunMan
over a year ago

It doesnt even give me the option when I'm in my contacts for a video call "

Apparently, even though it has the hardware, it officially doesn't support video calling , you can use Skype or Fring something similar though, would you actually use it for regular video calls if it did support it? Bit pricey compared to Skype and Fring isn't it?

Post new Message to Thread