Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Hidden illnesses and disabilities

Jump to newest

By *asual777 OP   Man
4 weeks ago

i travel all over

Did this a while back inspired by a lounge thread

Please post here if you have a hidden illness or disability which affects and you would like to get it out in the open . Tell us how it you try to overcome it in order to maintain your love/sex/dating life

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *cl2010Couple
4 weeks ago

cork

Well I'm sure we're not the only people here who have been kicked in the balls by long COVID (post viral syndrome ME/CFS)

Some days are ok, some days can't leave bed. Terrible pain. It doesn't lend itself to a healthy sex life really

By *ilthyNightsCouple
4 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

Me, Laura, and the whole family are riddled with ASD / ADHD.

By *ot so needyMan
4 weeks ago

Galway

"Well I'm sure we're not the only people here who have been kicked in the balls by long COVID (post viral syndrome ME/CFS)

Some days are ok, some days can't leave bed. Terrible pain. It doesn't lend itself to a healthy sex life really"

How long have you got it?

I know a few people with it and it's horrible.

By *arbhbeagMan
4 weeks ago

frosses

I had a close call with an anaphylactic shock from eating a nutty biscuit some twenty years ago, only one scare since. But I’m only a kiss away, if the other is feasting on the wrong nuts 🥜 😜

By *eralt80Man
4 weeks ago

cork

Anxiety and if it gets bad enough it can lead to bouts of depression too.

What do I do to combat it? I try and keep busy, keep my mind active and stop it from wandering and spiraling. Exercise helps, need to get back at it. I find gaming good to keep my mind focused, or reading and gardening in the past helped a lot but don’t seem to have the time for that these days. Recently started baking too.

Pushing myself to going to socials helps too, gets me out of my comfort zone. As much as I like my own company, we are a social species so it’s good to be around people too. I remember my first social I nearly had a mental shutdown but they have gotten a lot easier over the years.

By *ipstick KissesWoman
4 weeks ago

South Down

Where do I start 🙄😂

I guess with the one that's been around the longest - depression, anxiety and agoraphobia. I'm medication-free now and coping well mostly, although the last social I went to I had to leave early due to an anxiety attack that I couldn't quell.

I've osteoarthritis in my knees and hips which can be a bit limiting, and I'm currently living (really bloody badly tbh) with a disc prolapse.

I just have to take things on a day to day basis, although I try not to plan anything if I know I have a lot on physically as I'll probably be in a ton of pain

By *eard and BoobsCouple
4 weeks ago

Portstewart

Ms and it can be a complete nightmare

By *eehornyWoman
4 weeks ago

City

A ton of allergies and eczema related to it... granted not as bad as alot of people but it turned my life upside down. It's always at the forefront of my mind... my surroundings, what I can eat/drink, what/who can touch my body. If I'm lax about it I can suffer reactions for weeks.

By *cl2010Couple
4 weeks ago

cork

"Well I'm sure we're not the only people here who have been kicked in the balls by long COVID (post viral syndrome ME/CFS)

Some days are ok, some days can't leave bed. Terrible pain. It doesn't lend itself to a healthy sex life really

How long have you got it?

I know a few people with it and it's horrible."

Little over 2 years. I hope your friends are doing over time

By *elloMarylouWoman
4 weeks ago

mayo

Depression/anxiety reckon, struggled for about 14 yrs where literally noone had a clue.

Had a panic attack one Sunday morning and finally admitted to myself that I was struggling.

I've got that low that I've considered disappearing twice.

In the last few years I've learnt my triggers, walked away from toxic people and don't put myself in situations that trigger the low feelings.

Plus I've got better as saying fxxk off

By (user no longer on site)
4 weeks ago

I've anxiety, depression and PTSD, I was in a terrible state 10 years ago. Luckily I found my way back from the edge, I draw, exercise to the best of my ability and go to talk therapy, as well as getting in touch with my spiritual side(not religious side).

There are days I step to the edge but remember that "this too shall pass".

I have broke my neck twice, had surgery to repair as best they could and am now waiting on shoulder surgery. I was dumb and reckless with my body in my younger years, I pay for it now, but have genuinely started to enjoy being alive again.

4 weeks ago

"Depression/anxiety reckon, struggled for about 14 yrs where literally noone had a clue.

Had a panic attack one Sunday morning and finally admitted to myself that I was struggling.

I've got that low that I've considered disappearing twice.

In the last few years I've learnt my triggers, walked away from toxic people and don't put myself in situations that trigger the low feelings.

Plus I've got better as saying fxxk off "

One of the hardest parts is saying that you need help, you should be incredibly proud of yourself fir taking that step. Always remember the world is a better place with you in it.

4 weeks ago

"Anxiety and if it gets bad enough it can lead to bouts of depression too.

What do I do to combat it? I try and keep busy, keep my mind active and stop it from wandering and spiraling. Exercise helps, need to get back at it. I find gaming good to keep my mind focused, or reading and gardening in the past helped a lot but don’t seem to have the time for that these days. Recently started baking too.

Pushing myself to going to socials helps too, gets me out of my comfort zone. As much as I like my own company, we are a social species so it’s good to be around people too. I remember my first social I nearly had a mental shutdown but they have gotten a lot easier over the years. "

All really good ways to help keep the mind occupied.

I used to live by the mantra that "if you keep moving the demons can't get you".

By *ind PaddyMan
4 weeks ago

South County Dublin

"Ms and it can be a complete nightmare "

I know how you feel. My wife has MS

By *heBlowinsCouple
4 weeks ago

West Cork

"Anxiety and if it gets bad enough it can lead to bouts of depression too.

Pushing myself to going to socials helps too, gets me out of my comfort zone. As much as I like my own company, we are a social species so it’s good to be around people too. I remember my first social I nearly had a mental shutdown but they have gotten a lot easier over the years. "

Thank you for sharing this G ❤️ Definitely share a lot of this x

By *heBlowinsCouple
4 weeks ago

West Cork

"Me, Laura, and the whole family are riddled with ASD / ADHD."

A-fucking-men 😅🫠🫠

By *edro50Man
4 weeks ago

enniskillen

I will share soon because I want to but I can't just yet.

By *avid for comfortMan
4 weeks ago

belfast

Sorry to hear that South down. I'd be willing rub a mixture over you it will help. X

By *hunkyRedPandaMan
4 weeks ago

City

Clinical stress, suggested I go for other testing, adhd etc... migraines. Oh the migraines, now reduced thanks in part to magnesium...

By *adylaceWoman
4 weeks ago

Waterford City

Clinical depression for years that I have learned to pretty much manage. It still gets at me at times but I keep my mind occupied to keep it at bay. It's part of the reason I go to so many events. They stop me from sitting at home and overthinking.

I was also recently diagnosed with late onset Type 1 diabetes so I've had to make some serious life changes for that. But I'm getting there.

I find not keeping these things a secret and talking about them makes them both feel like a smaller monster than what we have in our heads. It's always best to talk about it. Most people are going through something and we can all help eachother.

By *ipstick KissesWoman
4 weeks ago

South Down

"Sorry to hear that South down. I'd be willing rub a mixture over you it will help. X"

Thanks but I can reach my own knees and hips...

By *cl2010Couple
4 weeks ago

cork

[Removed by poster at 21/08/24 13:50:27]

By *cl2010Couple
4 weeks ago

cork

"Clinical depression for years that I have learned to pretty much manage. It still gets at me at times but I keep my mind occupied to keep it at bay. It's part of the reason I go to so many events. They stop me from sitting at home and overthinking.

I was also recently diagnosed with late onset Type 1 diabetes so I've had to make some serious life changes for that. But I'm getting there.

I find not keeping these things a secret and talking about them makes them both feel like a smaller monster than what we have in our heads. It's always best to talk about it. Most people are going through something and we can all help eachother. "

I think that's exactly right. I was explaining some medical thing to the young guy in work and he asked how I knew so much about obscure medical conditions?

I had to explain to him that when he hits 35 every person he knows will have SOMETHING weird wrong with them.

Mental, physical, genetic, environmental.. there's just so many opportunities for our bodies to fail us.

Talking about them and normalizing these things is good. Not every disability is visible, but all of them deserve compassion and understanding

By *og-ManMan
4 weeks ago

somewhere

"Sorry to hear that South down. I'd be willing rub a mixture over you it will help. X

Thanks but I can reach my own knees and hips..."

Head shoulders knees and toes.

Sorry wrong song

By *ipstick KissesWoman
4 weeks ago

South Down

[Removed by poster at 21/08/24 18:14:09]

By *ipstick KissesWoman
4 weeks ago

South Down

"Sorry to hear that South down. I'd be willing rub a mixture over you it will help. X

Thanks but I can reach my own knees and hips...

Head shoulders knees and toes.

Sorry wrong song "

😂

By *eordie.Woman
4 weeks ago

The Sticks

"Me, Laura, and the whole family are riddled with ASD / ADHD."

Riddled ❤️

I've a few pounds of titanium holding my spine together in a couple of places. The trapped nerves from remaining knackered discs are literally a pain in the arse sometimes

By *cl2010Couple
4 weeks ago

cork

"Me, Laura, and the whole family are riddled with ASD / ADHD.

Riddled ❤️

I've a few pounds of titanium holding my spine together in a couple of places. The trapped nerves from remaining knackered discs are literally a pain in the arse sometimes "

Oh yeah sciatica is a dose!

Ever see the the nerve though? It's feckin huge. Like the thickness of your thumb

Post new Message to Thread