Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Woman v Female

Jump to newest

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

No doubt the usual suspects are gonna come in here whinging but nonetheless, can people please stop using “female” when they mean “woman”.

A few reasons:

1 “Female" is a scientific term that refers to the sex of a species that is capable of producing children. The term "woman" refers specifically to human beings, while "female" could refer to any species.

2 Using the term female reduces a woman to her reproductive parts and abilities.

3 Not all women are biologically female, and the conflation of "female" to "woman" erases gender-nonconforming people and members of the trans community. (Go take a jump transphobes ☺️)

4 The word "female," in its primary usage, is an adjective. When you use "female" as a noun, the subject that you're referring to is erased. You can say “female doctor” but saying “a female” is grammatically incorrect…a female what? Bird? Kangaroo? Dog?

So yea, if you’re looking for a woman to meet, you’re looking for a woman, not a female. Unless you’re not looking for a human to meet and then we have other problems

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *acob12369Man
9 weeks ago

URPANTS

What is a woman though

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
9 weeks ago

What was the point of the message aside from answering a question no one asked?

Be sound, respect everyone. Move on

Reply privately

By *ichael McCarthyMan
9 weeks ago

Lucan

I'm happy to take all that on board as regards general conversation, and I'm only too aware of the people who shout "what is a woman?" as I've had it shouted in my face more than once but there's one issue for me.

I'm not looking to meet a gender non conforming person myself. I'm happy enough to say woman as I've never given it much thought, but maybe female human is what I really mean?

Now, I haven't had food or coffee in a few hours so maybe I'm opening a can of worms here unintentionally, but does that make any sense?

Reply privately

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

"I'm happy to take all that on board as regards general conversation, and I'm only too aware of the people who shout "what is a woman?" as I've had it shouted in my face more than once but there's one issue for me.

I'm not looking to meet a gender non conforming person myself. I'm happy enough to say woman as I've never given it much thought, but maybe female human is what I really mean?

Now, I haven't had food or coffee in a few hours so maybe I'm opening a can of worms here unintentionally, but does that make any sense?

"

In that case you can use cis woman, if you want to remain inclusive. Or female human if you want to be weird about it 😝

Reply privately

By *ichael McCarthyMan
9 weeks ago

Lucan

"I'm happy to take all that on board as regards general conversation, and I'm only too aware of the people who shout "what is a woman?" as I've had it shouted in my face more than once but there's one issue for me.

In that case you can use cis woman, if you want to remain inclusive. Or female human if you want to be weird about it 😝"

The human thing is probably bonus territory tbf.

Reply privately

By *iscuits8Man
9 weeks ago

Meath / Dublin / Birmingham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1NBpVKWh_c

There's my earworm for the day now.

You're some woman for one woman...

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
9 weeks ago

A nice rock

In that case you can use cis woman, if you want to remain inclusive. Or female human if you want to be weird about it 😝

The human thing is probably bonus territory tbf. "

In that case I think your safe enough with female if I've followed Jaffas logic correctly..

Which I usually dont

Reply privately

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

The human thing is probably bonus territory tbf.

In that case I think your safe enough with female if I've followed Jaffas logic correctly..

Which I usually dont"

You did…so proud 🥲

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
9 weeks ago

A nice rock

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1NBpVKWh_c

There's my earworm for the day now.

You're some woman for one woman..."

Oh you motherfu...girl like you has cast a spell on me

Reply privately

By *aseylee324Couple
9 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

I don't personally have an issue with being referred to as female here, the term "single male" is pretty ubiquitous, and the site is nothing if not reductive, pretty sure nobody is interested in my IQ

Reply privately

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

"I don't personally have an issue with being referred to as female here, the term "single male" is pretty ubiquitous, and the site is nothing if not reductive, pretty sure nobody is interested in my IQ"

For me, it depends on the language used. “Female half of a couple” vs “looking for a female”.

Of course, not everyone is going to have the same feelings on it. For me, seeing it in statuses etc make me avoid those people 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
9 weeks ago

A nice rock

With things like this I like to hear and see the reasoning behind why a certain demographic dislikes a word or a phrase.

Usually if I hear more than one person say it makes them uncomfortable or offends them I try and change my language, because there is usually a logical enough reason behind it.

I've never found it that hard (since becoming an actual adult) to phase out words that people deem offensive. And it's not that big or any impact on me.

Reply privately

By *adger BrocMan
9 weeks ago

Co. Cork

Female" is a scientific term that refers to the sex of a species that is capable of producing "offspring".....

(children refers specifically to humans).

The english language is fluid and ever changing and where many words have multiple meanings therefore they are always open to varied interpretations or to being totally misinterpreted.

The problem may not be so much with the person who genuinely uses the term but with those who hear it and ascribe their own narrow meaning to the word or phrase.

Reply privately

By *ogladyWoman
9 weeks ago

The bog

I hate that word cis woman.. I'm just a plain female /woman

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
9 weeks ago

A nice rock

"

The english language is fluid and ever changing and where many words have multiple meanings therefore they are always open to varied interpretations or to being totally misinterpreted.

The problem may not be so much with the person who genuinely uses the term but with those who hear it and ascribe their own narrow meaning to the word or phrase.

"

Sometimes that may indeed be the case. But as you said with language being so fluid it's never a bad thing to review and assess how the words we use make other feel

Reply privately

By *ublinstud_MisstattooCouple
9 weeks ago

City Centre

"I hate that word cis woman.. I'm just a plain female /woman"

This

Reply privately

By *ichael McCarthyMan
9 weeks ago

Lucan

I'm going for the middle ground in future.. Anyone without a penis shall henceforth be referred to as Bridie.

Howya Bridie.

Reply privately

By *rAndMrsRightCouple
9 weeks ago

newtownabbey

"I don't personally have an issue with being referred to as female here, the term "single male" is pretty ubiquitous, and the site is nothing if not reductive, pretty sure nobody is interested in my IQ

For me, it depends on the language used. “Female half of a couple” vs “looking for a female”.

Of course, not everyone is going to have the same feelings on it. For me, seeing it in statuses etc make me avoid those people 🤷🏻‍♀️"

I ways picture Flintstone like cavemen when I see the "looking for males/females" type of language.

"Male/female part of a couple" - makes perfect sense.

"Male looking for females" - sounds like a Craigslist add for breeding labradors or goats 😳

I always find it amazing how easily people dehumanize themselves

Reply privately

By *ealitybitesMan
9 weeks ago

Belfast

I've never once heard that term spoken out loud. I've only ever seen it written and I would never use it because I genuinely have no idea what it is supposed to mean.

I only use the word female when saying one half of a couple or describing a female dog or cat.

There has to be consistency in the use of any word though because as you've just proven just because some insist that a particular word is used doesn't always mean everyone is comfortable being described as such.

I've seen threads here where people have tackled posters for using the word girl instead of woman and then a few days or weeks later those same people jump into another thread to say "us girls must stick together!"

Reply privately

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

Cis woman/man merely means that you identify as the same gender you were assigned at birth. So if the doctor said you were female and you still identify as a woman, you are cis.

It’s not widely used, and usually used to just differentiate between cis gender and trans gender.

Not a term I have ever used in relation to myself but comfortable doing so if required.

It’s widely used in science so not a new thing 😊

Reply privately

By *chochamberWoman
9 weeks ago

Limerick

Doctors don't assign gender, they observe it. Gender is triggered when the sperms meets egg. Doctors do not assign it.

There are lots of inaccuracies with the language that is developing at the moment.

I identify as a woman, not a cis woman, just a woman.

Reply privately

By *exyScientistsCouple
9 weeks ago

Castlebar

I'm not a fan of being referred to as female, or fem for those unable to spell female/not enough time to type the whole word. But I'm sure I've been called worse.

I'm pretty sure we have had messages asking if they are talking to the male or female 🤔

Reply privately

By *inky Bear and VicsCouple
9 weeks ago

Northern Ireland

Knowing some trans folks and a bunch of enbys and being really careful with language (and sometimes buggering it up but always happy to kick myself), I like the Kink Shrinks terms which are cunt owners and dick owners.

Reply privately

By *chochamberWoman
9 weeks ago

Limerick

I think it's hair splitting to the nth degree.

Male and female are used in other scenarios where people know it obviously meant to refer to male or female human beings. I m sure some public bathrooms have male and female signs.

Reply privately

By *og-ManMan
9 weeks ago

somewhere

Dont like the cis word myself so don't call myself a cis man....I'm just a man

If you want me to call you any of your prefered pronouns I will so not to upset you

Doesn't mean I agree with them

Reply privately

By *rystalsswingCouple
9 weeks ago

Galway

"I hate that word cis woman.. I'm just a plain female /woman

I'm going for the middle ground in future.. Anyone without a penis shall henceforth be referred to as Bridie.

Howya Bridie. "

🤣🤣 Hey babes 👋👋

Reply privately

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

Maybe I should’ve just pointed out that saying “looking for a female” is plain old grammatically incorrect. Female is an adjective not a noun. Woman is a noun.

It’s not really about gender and more about shitty use of language.

Reply privately

By *addyseeds.ieMan
9 weeks ago

Dublin

"Cis woman/man merely means that you identify as the same gender you were assigned at birth. So if the doctor said you were female and you still identify as a woman, you are cis.

It’s not widely used, and usually used to just differentiate between cis gender and trans gender.

Not a term I have ever used in relation to myself but comfortable doing so if required.

It’s widely used in science so not a new thing 😊"

I personally don’t have a problem with people that found the needs to identify as “cis woman/man”.

It is just something I don’t get it as 99.9% of people born with one sex. If somebody decide to change sex, I can understand the needs to identify as a “trans woman/man”, but I don’t see the reason for someone that doesn’t change sex to reiterate her/his sex with the word “cis”

Reply privately

By *ichael McCarthyMan
9 weeks ago

Lucan

Howya Bridie.

🤣🤣 Hey babes 👋👋"

Phwooarr! Be still my beating willy!

"Sure all the cis girls have lovely bottoms"

I'm sorry for the diversion but that is a lovely lovely bottom.

Reply privately

By *adger BrocMan
9 weeks ago

Co. Cork

"

Sometimes that may indeed be the case. But as you said with language being so fluid it's never a bad thing to review and assess how the words we use make other feel"

No matter how much thought we put into what we say or write we can never be sure what specific meaning the person hearing or reading those words will put on them.

Those who are easily offended will always find something to be objectionable even if the person using the word or phrase is doing so without any intention of being offensive.

If we were to go around analysing our every word before we speak or write we would never say anything. There would be no spontaneous conversation or writing and our world would be the poorer for it.

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
9 weeks ago

A nice rock

"

Sometimes that may indeed be the case. But as you said with language being so fluid it's never a bad thing to review and assess how the words we use make other feel

No matter how much thought we put into what we say or write we can never be sure what specific meaning the person hearing or reading those words will put on them.

Those who are easily offended will always find something to be objectionable even if the person using the word or phrase is doing so without any intention of being offensive.

If we were to go around analysing our every word before we speak or write we would never say anything. There would be no spontaneous conversation or writing and our world would be the poorer for it.

"

I don't think you need ti analysis every spoken word before you say it.

But I think when someone raises concerns over words and phrases its easy enough to listen and consider their POV rather than immediately dismiss it as some people are just over sensitive.

If that was the case there would be no progression in language and we would all be using phrases and words that we have long stopped.

I definitely don't have daily instances where something is highlighted or discussed.

It happens far far less frequently than that

Reply privately

By *ealitybitesMan
9 weeks ago

Belfast

"

"

I don't know a single person who openly identifies as anything other than straight.

There is no-one within my circle who is bi or gay or wishes to be referred to as anything other than man or woman and even though I meet hundreds of people every week through work I've no idea how any of them wish to be addressed.

I may have offended some but not intentionally and no-one has ever commented if I have but then again I speak to everyone the same so it's hard to know how anything I've ever said could be offensive.

Reply privately

By *omebirdWoman
9 weeks ago

N7

TLDR. What'll I call ya woman??

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
9 weeks ago

A nice rock

"TLDR. What'll I call ya woman?? "

Starts with C and ends with T

Reply privately

By *omebirdWoman
9 weeks ago

N7

"TLDR. What'll I call ya woman??

Starts with C and ends with T"

Therian now, is she?

Reply privately

By *rprotonMan
9 weeks ago

Dublin

Request denied.

Free speech.

If you have an issue with someone communicating with you in a certain manner, that is between them and you.

Directing the wider community, especially as member of the said community, without any kind of authority, in relation to how to communicate is unacceptable, to say so the least.

If people, in this particular case, choose to use the word female instead of woman, and you specifically find it offensive, kindly ignore / block / move along.

Again, in this particular case, even though it wouldn't use the said terminology, I can understand why one would choose to use the said lingo.

Kind regards.

Reply privately

By *rRiosMan
9 weeks ago

dublin

Starts with C and ends with T"

I think I know this one. Is it hairy on the outside and wet on the inside? Coconut?

Reply privately

By *rprotonMan
9 weeks ago

Dublin

Starts with C and ends with T

I think I know this one. Is it hairy on the outside and wet on the inside? Coconut?

"

Cat?

Courgette? Well, no, that's technically an E...

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

I think I'm guilty of this sometimes. I'll try and do better

Reply privately

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

"I think I'm guilty of this sometimes. I'll try and do better "

Ya know, sometimes I miss our arguments

But also, glad to hear it 😁

Reply privately

By *electableicecreamMan
9 weeks ago

The West

"Request denied.

Free speech.

If you have an issue with someone communicating with you in a certain manner, that is between them and you.

Directing the wider community, especially as member of the said community, without any kind of authority, in relation to how to communicate is unacceptable, to say so the least.

If people, in this particular case, choose to use the word female instead of woman, and you specifically find it offensive, kindly ignore / block / move along.

Again, in this particular case, even though it wouldn't use the said terminology, I can understand why one would choose to use the said lingo.

Kind regards. "

Be sure to send that around on headed paper and sign it with your forum police job title attached

Reply privately

By *enitMan
9 weeks ago

Galway

"No doubt the usual suspects are gonna come in here whinging but nonetheless, can people please stop using “female” when they mean “woman”.

A few reasons:

1 “Female" is a scientific term that refers to the sex of a species that is capable of producing children. The term "woman" refers specifically to human beings, while "female" could refer to any species.

2 Using the term female reduces a woman to her reproductive parts and abilities.

3 Not all women are biologically female, and the conflation of "female" to "woman" erases gender-nonconforming people and members of the trans community. (Go take a jump transphobes ☺️)

4 The word "female," in its primary usage, is an adjective. When you use "female" as a noun, the subject that you're referring to is erased. You can say “female doctor” but saying “a female” is grammatically incorrect…a female what? Bird? Kangaroo? Dog?

So yea, if you’re looking for a woman to meet, you’re looking for a woman, not a female. Unless you’re not looking for a human to meet and then we have other problems "

All reasonable points.The smart ass commenters are the ones in need of a moving on

Reply privately

By *ot so needyMan
9 weeks ago

Galway

"Request denied.

Free speech.

Kind regards. "

Need a hug hun.

Reply privately

By *enitMan
9 weeks ago

Galway

With you, I'm not a Cis man and I don't want the label put on me by anyone. Regardless of their reasoning.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"I think I'm guilty of this sometimes. I'll try and do better

But also, glad to hear it 😁"

Honestly, having met you in person, I couldn't bring myself to be arsey with you

Reply privately

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

"I think I'm guilty of this sometimes. I'll try and do better

But also, glad to hear it 😁

Honestly, having met you in person, I couldn't bring myself to be arsey with you "

Awwww

Reply privately

By *rRiosMan
9 weeks ago

dublin

[Removed by poster at 30/07/24 15:39:46]

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
9 weeks ago

A nice rock

With you, I'm not a Cis man and I don't want the label put on me by anyone. Regardless of their reasoning."

Can I ask honestly.

Have you actually encountered any situation where someone has tried to label you as a CIS MAN.

Because I honestly never have.

The only time I ever see it is in discussions about gender identity which I could easily avoid if I needed.

I'm just wondering do people come across this in actual day to day lives?

Reply privately

By *ealitybitesMan
9 weeks ago

Belfast

With you, I'm not a Cis man and I don't want the label put on me by anyone. Regardless of their reasoning.

Can I ask honestly.

Have you actually encountered any situation where someone has tried to label you as a CIS MAN.

The only time I ever see it is in discussions about gender identity which I could easily avoid if I needed.

I'm just wondering do people come across this in actual day to day lives?"

As I said above I've never heard the term used anywhere. I've only ever seen it written here and couldn't be arsed even googling the definition because it has no relevance.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"Maybe I should’ve just pointed out that saying “looking for a female” is plain old grammatically incorrect. Female is an adjective not a noun. Woman is a noun.

It’s not really about gender and more about shitty use of language. "

It's actually similar to a discussion I was in on here yesterday. Around having sex with "a trans". You explained it better though

Reply privately

9 weeks ago

Northern Ireland

Can I ask honestly.

I'm just wondering do people come across this in actual day to day lives?"

Yes. Because I have a friend group that includes two trans women, one trans guy, the remainder are cis except the ones that are non gendered or gender queer. Also this group has zero straight people. Some are Bi, some say pan. And they are the best bunch of gothy gamer nerds I've ever met.

So it depends on who you hang out with

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
9 weeks ago

A nice rock

Can I ask honestly.

I'm just wondering do people come across this in actual day to day lives?

Yes. Because I have a friend group that includes two trans women, one trans guy, the remainder are cis except the ones that are non gendered or gender queer. Also this group has zero straight people. Some are Bi, some say pan. And they are the best bunch of gothy gamer nerds I've ever met.

So it depends on who you hang out with "

But have your friends tried to label you as CIS against your will or at least without your own encouragement to do so..which was my point

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

I think I've used the CIS word a few times in conversation. Most people we know are on the spicy side so it can be a useful descriptor. People who move in more vanilla circles may not have ever had a use for the term in conversation.

Reply privately

By *ipstick KissesWoman
9 weeks ago

South Down

It makes my shit itch too Jaffa. I'm also more irked when a woman uses it.

Reply privately

By *lueLotusWoman
9 weeks ago

the wilderness

I find it off putting. It gives me the impression that anything breathing and with a convenient hole will do for them. But that might well be the case so carry on! It's just another filter.

Feels depersonalising to me.

Reply privately

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

"It makes my shit itch too Jaffa. I'm also more irked when a woman uses it. "

Itchy shit is no fun!!!

Reply privately

By *chochamberWoman
9 weeks ago

Limerick

I've heard cis a fair few times in real life and have been described as cis myself with no encouragement. So yes, it's in use.

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
9 weeks ago

A nice rock

"I've heard cis a fair few times in real life and have been described as cis myself with no encouragement. So yes, it's in use.

"

Can I ask what the context was

Reply privately

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple
9 weeks ago

kinda dublin

Main reason not to use the word Female. It's become synonymous with the Incel community, so you sound like a dick.

Why call someone a generic female when you can just as easily refer to them as a lady 👸🏼

Reply privately

By *uper duperMan
9 weeks ago

around

Next we'll have to ask someone what the want to be called??

Oh fuck!!! We are at it already!!

Reply privately

By *chochamberWoman
9 weeks ago

Limerick

"I've heard cis a fair few times in real life and have been described as cis myself with no encouragement. So yes, it's in use.

Can I ask what the context was"

Hmmm I ve a friend who, in her words tends to hang out with an "earnest woke brigade", she was home visiting family and was criticising her 5 year old niece because she was dressed in pink and does dancing (ballet type) classes and she pissed off the family by criticising the little girl and her brothers parenting and they had a fight about this.

My view was: there was nothing wrong with a girl liking traditionally female things, maybe that is who she is. Friend had a revelation, "maybe niece is a cis woman"!!! This triggered a big discussion about terminology and the "Let women speak" movement.

That friend is part of a wider group, some of whom are militant left wing, and would happily shout people down to get their "correct" opinion heard. They would shout down people opposing trans women in female prisons etc. They would "cancel" people who don't assimilate to their "right" speech.

Anyway, it's a delicate subject and I don't think we as a global community, have figured it all out yet.

But no one person trumps another or has rights to force labels on anyone else. The far left can be as fascist as the far right.

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

"Cis woman/man merely means that you identify as the same gender you were assigned at birth. So if the doctor said you were female and you still identify as a woman, you are cis.

It’s widely used in science so not a new thing 😊"

It's not widely used in science unless you mean chemistry were Cis is used in relation to chemical bonds.

It's only been founded in 1994 by a PHd student in their thesis to differentiate between trans gendered woman or trans gendered men and woman and men.

They used Cis because in Latin it translates roughly to ' From the other". The author said she tried to find a term that didn't make trans people feel not included and so came up with the term cisgendered. So it was created due to not wanting to upset a certain group, transsexuals. What the author didn't think about was maybe she might be upsetting woman and men, who up until that point were quiet happy being called men and woman, evidence by the fact that there was no large protest or movement by men or woman to change this descriptor of themselves.

I'm a woman and have been before q994 and continue to be so after 1994.

I'll gladly call anyone what they want to be called but please respect me and my choice to be called a woman.

As for your objection to the terms male and female, on a site such as this it would obviously relate to humans and so the word human would not be needed. Unless the site changes it name to Fabswimmers and then maybe you'd have to say female fish, for clarity.

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *chochamberWoman
9 weeks ago

Limerick

It’s widely used in science so not a new thing 😊It's not widely used in science unless you mean chemistry were Cis is used in relation to chemical bonds.

It's only been founded in 1994 by a PHd student in their thesis to differentiate between trans gendered woman or trans gendered men and woman and men.

They used Cis because in Latin it translates roughly to ' From the other". The author said she tried to find a term that didn't make trans people feel not included and so came up with the term cisgendered. So it was created due to not wanting to upset a certain group, transsexuals. What the author didn't think about was maybe she might be upsetting woman and men, who up until that point were quiet happy being called men and woman, evidence by the fact that there was no large protest or movement by men or woman to change this descriptor of themselves.

I'll gladly call anyone what they want to be called but please respect me and my choice to be called a woman.

As for your objection to the terms male and female, on a site such as this it would obviously relate to humans and so the word human would not be needed. Unless the site changes it name to Fabswimmers and then maybe you'd have to say female fish, for clarity.

Mrs x"

I know you are a woman, and I ve always said I ld never marry again, but I m tempted to propose!

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

It’s widely used in science so not a new thing 😊It's not widely used in science unless you mean chemistry were Cis is used in relation to chemical bonds.

Mrs x

I know you are a woman, and I ve always said I ld never marry again, but I m tempted to propose! "

Already taken, sorry but he's a very understanding man, maybe we could sort something out?

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *chochamberWoman
9 weeks ago

Limerick

See u on hols sometime x

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

"See u on hols sometime x "
Got family down your way,

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

Mrs x"

Interesting post, but I think of the term CIS as more a description than a label.

Saying I'm a CIS man is like saying I'm a hungry man, or a straight man, or a dirty man. It's not a label that is what I need to accept I'm called now. It just says something that describes something about me that might be relevant to the conversation

Reply privately

By *aseylee324Couple
9 weeks ago

Can I ask what the context was

Hmmm I ve a friend who, in her words tends to hang out with an "earnest woke brigade", she was home visiting family and was criticising her 5 year old niece because she was dressed in pink and does dancing (ballet type) classes and she pissed off the family by criticising the little girl and her brothers parenting and they had a fight about this.

My view was: there was nothing wrong with a girl liking traditionally female things, maybe that is who she is. Friend had a revelation, "maybe niece is a cis woman"!!! This triggered a big discussion about terminology and the "Let women speak" movement.

That friend is part of a wider group, some of whom are militant left wing, and would happily shout people down to get their "correct" opinion heard. They would shout down people opposing trans women in female prisons etc. They would "cancel" people who don't assimilate to their "right" speech.

Anyway, it's a delicate subject and I don't think we as a global community, have figured it all out yet.

But no one person trumps another or has rights to force labels on anyone else. The far left can be as fascist as the far right. "

Amen to that

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

Mrs x

Interesting post, but I think of the term CIS as more a description than a label.

Saying I'm a CIS man is like saying I'm a hungry man, or a straight man, or a dirty man. It's not a label that is what I need to accept I'm called now. It just says something that describes something about me that might be relevant to the conversation "

How? In what way does it add to your description of a man that the word man doesn't already describe.

Your descriptions do not enhance the definition of you as a man. They just describe you as a person are hungry, your sexuality and you need a wash.

When did you feel that as a man, you needed a prefix that would let everyone know you were a man? When did you feel being a 'man' was not enough to describe you adequately?

So if you were born a man and you identify as a man surely that means you are a man.

Cis is a redundant, superfluous term thought up by a PHd student in 1994, so as not to upset trans people when differentiating them from men or woman.

You can call yourself anything you like, I'll accept that but respect is a two way street.

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

I see your point that's it's superfluous. But even so i don't understand how it's offensive, even if is unnecessary. It's just an accurate description of you, just the same as using "woman" is also accurate.

Reply privately

By *ipstick KissesWoman
9 weeks ago

South Down

"What was the point of the message aside from answering a question no one asked?

"

That's kinda the point. Calling women females is reductive and dehumanising. Be sound, respect that, use the term woman.

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

"I see your point that's it's superfluous. But even so i don't understand how it's offensive, even if is unnecessary. It's just an accurate description of you, just the same as using "woman" is also accurate."
It's offensive because it's a term thrust up any woman who identifies as a woman. It's done by a community that is demanding respect, which is ok, to be called what they want to be called and that's OK to. It's the total hypocrisy of the situation.

Respect each other, equally. Ut at times if feels like Orwell wrote in Animal Farm, 'All animals are equal, some are just more equal than others'.

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

"What was the point of the message aside from answering a question no one asked?

That's kinda the point. Calling women females is reductive and dehumanising. Be sound, respect that, use the term woman. "

How's it reductive and dehumanising? We as homo sapiens come in two forms, female and male. There's no other forms.

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

Mrs x"

My experience with the term cis is in chemistry but it is also used in genetics and geography.

No one is saying you can’t be called a woman so I’m not sure where you’re getting that idea from. I did say above that if you really want to differentiate between people and don’t want to meet anyone other than a woman who was assigned female at birth, then you can specify that you are looking for a cis woman. Or don’t 🤷🏻‍♀️

I have zero problems with the words male and female. I do have a problem with them being used incorrectly and feeling reduced to the sum of my genitals. I don’t see why it would be so hard to say you’re looking for a woman rather than looking for a female.

If it doesn’t bother you, then great! But would it bother you if people didn’t say they were looking for a female and instead said they were looking for a woman? I doubt it.

Reply privately

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

That's kinda the point. Calling women females is reductive and dehumanising. Be sound, respect that, use the term woman. How's it reductive and dehumanising? We as homo sapiens come in two forms, female and male. There's no other forms.

Mrs x"

So intersex people don’t exist?

Reply privately

By *og-ManMan
9 weeks ago

somewhere

Genuinely interested in the term

Assigned at birth

Surely your just picked up,smacked on the arse and your mother is told depending on what you have down below

" it's a boy or a girl "

When did that become something more than it is

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"I see your point that's it's superfluous. But even so i don't understand how it's offensive, even if is unnecessary. It's just an accurate description of you, just the same as using "woman" is also accurate.It's offensive because it's a term thrust up any woman who identifies as a woman. It's done by a community that is demanding respect, which is ok, to be called what they want to be called and that's OK to. It's the total hypocrisy of the situation.

Respect each other, equally. Ut at times if feels like Orwell wrote in Animal Farm, 'All animals are equal, some are just more equal than others'.

Mrs x"

Its tricky for people (even those interested in this stuff) to get the terminology right. I suspect those easily offended are going to have to put up with a little offense. On both sides. A little compassion and understanding is probably the way forward.

Reply privately

By *ionycusMan
9 weeks ago

Babylon

The world series of baseball isn't the world series as it's only in America, The Open , isn't called the British open , it's the open. Men are men and women are women. Trans men are trans men and trans women are trans women, no ? This cis nonsense will only create more division as the people who think their label is so freaking important try to put labels on people that don't need or want them . If it walks and talks and looks like a dude , it's a dude , either a dude , or a trans dude, same goes for the females.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"Genuinely interested in the term

Assigned at birth

Surely your just picked up,smacked on the arse and your mother is told depending on what you have down below

" it's a boy or a girl "

When did that become something more than it is "

A male who identifies with the gender assigned at birth I think is the term you're taking about. It's another cludgy attention to describe things in a way that's acceptable for all. I don't know if it is or not

Reply privately

By *electableicecreamMan
9 weeks ago

The West

Assigned at birth

" it's a boy or a girl "

When did that become something more than it is "

A transgender/intersex person might use language like this to differentiate between their chosen gender the gender they were assigned which, particularly in the case of an intersex person, may not have been correct.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

*attempt to describe

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

Mrs x

My experience with the term cis is in chemistry but it is also used in genetics and geography.

No one is saying you can’t be called a woman so I’m not sure where you’re getting that idea from. I did say above that if you really want to differentiate between people and don’t want to meet anyone other than a woman who was assigned female at birth, then you can specify that you are looking for a cis woman. Or don’t 🤷🏻‍♀️

I have zero problems with the words male and female. I do have a problem with them being used incorrectly and feeling reduced to the sum of my genitals. I don’t see why it would be so hard to say you’re looking for a woman rather than looking for a female.

If it doesn’t bother you, then great! But would it bother you if people didn’t say they were looking for a female and instead said they were looking for a woman? I doubt it. "

Think you have a problem with the genitalia issue you are ascribing to the word female. You say that you think the term woman is more acceptable to you, I hope I'm getting thus correct.

You become a woman when you reach maturity, you were born female. It's not a description of your genitalia, but does suggest you have been born with female genitalia. So before you became a woman you were a girl but you were still female.

So I think common sense would prevail and on a site such as this, were you have to have reached maturity I think it's perfectly reasonable that when someone asks for a male or female it's obvious that they are asking for a man or woman.

Being upset about the genitalia thing in relation to the word female as opposed to woman seems a little odd. After all aren't most people on here to 'bump' said genitalia together.

Yes I have moaned about not being called a cis woman and I am just a woman but I'm also a female and have been for longer than I've been a woman.

Call me a woman, call me a female, but most importantly guys just call me...

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *ipstick KissesWoman
9 weeks ago

South Down

No one is thrusting anything upon anyone; the term "cis" is merely used to differentiate in instances where the differentiation matters

Reply privately

By *chochamberWoman
9 weeks ago

Limerick

Assigned at birth

" it's a boy or a girl "

A male who identifies with the gender assigned at birth I think is the term you're taking about. It's another cludgy attention to describe things in a way that's acceptable for all. I don't know if it is or not"

Not acceptable to me as its incorrect, a penis or vulva can be visible in a pre natal scan. Doctors observe genitals, they don't assign gender.

Reply privately

By *ealitybitesMan
9 weeks ago

Belfast

"The world series of baseball isn't the world series as it's only in America, The Open , isn't called the British open , it's the open. Men are men and women are women. Trans men are trans men and trans women are trans women, no ? This cis nonsense will only create more division as the people who think their label is so freaking important try to put labels on people that don't need or want them . If it walks and talks and looks like a dude , it's a dude , either a dude , or a trans dude, same goes for the females. "

It's called the World Series because it was originally sponsored by the World Newspaper group. It's not a geographical term.

Reply privately

By *ionycusMan
9 weeks ago

Babylon

"The world series of baseball isn't the world series as it's only in America, The Open , isn't called the British open , it's the open. Men are men and women are women. Trans men are trans men and trans women are trans women, no ? This cis nonsense will only create more division as the people who think their label is so freaking important try to put labels on people that don't need or want them . If it walks and talks and looks like a dude , it's a dude , either a dude , or a trans dude, same goes for the females.

It's called the World Series because it was originally sponsored by the World Newspaper group. It's not a geographical term. "

Thanks, I did not know that.

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

That's kinda the point. Calling women females is reductive and dehumanising. Be sound, respect that, use the term woman. How's it reductive and dehumanising? We as homo sapiens come in two forms, female and male. There's no other forms.

Mrs x

So intersex people don’t exist?"

Approximately 1.3% of tge worlds population are born intersex.

It's for want of a better word an anomaly.

More people are born with just one leg but that doesn't mean humans are no longer just bipedal but are monopedal (not sure that's a word). We aren't of course we are bipedal, those unfortunately born with less limbs have been born with a birth defect, horrible term but cannot think of another right now but that's the crux of the situation.

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *I TwoCouple
9 weeks ago

currently travelling down W France

"Doctors don't assign gender, they observe it. Gender is triggered when the sperms meets egg. Doctors do not assign it.

There are lots of inaccuracies with the language that is developing at the moment.

I identify as a woman, not a cis woman, just a woman. "

Hmm .. my kind woman xx

Reply privately

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

Mrs x

If it doesn’t bother you, then great! But would it bother you if people didn’t say they were looking for a female and instead said they were looking for a woman? I doubt it. Think you have a problem with the genitalia issue you are ascribing to the word female. You say that you think the term woman is more acceptable to you, I hope I'm getting thus correct.

You become a woman when you reach maturity, you were born female. It's not a description of your genitalia, but does suggest you have been born with female genitalia. So before you became a woman you were a girl but you were still female.

So I think common sense would prevail and on a site such as this, were you have to have reached maturity I think it's perfectly reasonable that when someone asks for a male or female it's obvious that they are asking for a man or woman.

Being upset about the genitalia thing in relation to the word female as opposed to woman seems a little odd. After all aren't most people on here to 'bump' said genitalia together.

Yes I have moaned about not being called a cis woman and I am just a woman but I'm also a female and have been for longer than I've been a woman.

Mrs x"

I think what you’re forgetting is that the word female is not unique to humans, but the word woman is.

A female horse is a mare

A female dog is a bitch

A female chicken is a hen

A female human is a woman.

Female is an adjective, woman is a noun. It’s simple English.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

Assigned at birth

" it's a boy or a girl "

A male who identifies with the gender assigned at birth I think is the term you're taking about. It's another cludgy attention to describe things in a way that's acceptable for all. I don't know if it is or not

Not acceptable to me as its incorrect, a penis or vulva can be visible in a pre natal scan. Doctors observe genitals, they don't assign gender. "

As above it's often not quite as simple as that to identify genitals even at birth let alone in a prenatal scan.

Also it is the sex that is generally assigned at birth, the gender that someone identifies with could be something else that someone chooses afterwards. You can choose to agree or not, but that doesn't stop this being what is happening today.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"The world series of baseball isn't the world series as it's only in America, The Open , isn't called the British open , it's the open. Men are men and women are women. Trans men are trans men and trans women are trans women, no ? This cis nonsense will only create more division as the people who think their label is so freaking important try to put labels on people that don't need or want them . If it walks and talks and looks like a dude , it's a dude , either a dude , or a trans dude, same goes for the females.

It's called the World Series because it was originally sponsored by the World Newspaper group. It's not a geographical term. "

Great information. New to me too!

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

"No one is thrusting anything upon anyone; the term "cis" is merely used to differentiate in instances where the differentiation matters "
But who is it it differentiating?

A trans person has to undergo, chemical and physical procedures to become a trans person. A man or woman does not. That's the differential, simple.

The word was brought into being as an emotional response, there was and is no actual need for it.

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *ipstick KissesWoman
9 weeks ago

South Down

"

You become a woman when you reach maturity, you were born female. So before you became a woman you were a girl but you were still female.

"

Yes. Female. Not "a" female.

It's not semantics. When language is problematic and it's explained why it's problematic, "it doesn't bother me" doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. If it did, we'd still be using offensive terminology that was commonplace in years gone by.

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

Mrs x

If it doesn’t bother you, then great! But would it bother you if people didn’t say they were looking for a female and instead said they were looking for a woman? I doubt it. Think you have a problem with the genitalia issue you are ascribing to the word female. You say that you think the term woman is more acceptable to you, I hope I'm getting thus correct.

Mrs x

I think what you’re forgetting is that the word female is not unique to humans, but the word woman is.

A female horse is a mare

A female dog is a bitch

Female is an adjective, woman is a noun. It’s simple English. "

But if there's no other choice, say you are in a stable and you askwhat you are looking for and you say a female, you are not going to be given a hen.

There might be further discussion over the age of the female but again, like Fab, if they only dealt in mature horses you're likely to be shown a mare.

It's just semantics on a site like this we're only mature females are on offer, so to speak.

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
9 weeks ago

A nice rock

"No one is thrusting anything upon anyone; the term "cis" is merely used to differentiate in instances where the differentiation matters But who is it it differentiating?

A trans person has to undergo, chemical and physical procedures to become a trans person. A man or woman does not. That's the differential, simple.

The word was brought into being as an emotional response, there was and is no actual need for it.

Mrs x"

Is there an actual need for the term Mrs?

I'm assuming the need comes when women who are happy to be called cis women use the term when discussing or interacting with trans women.

I'm not entirely sure this needs to be as big an issue as it's been made out to be.

Reply privately

By *ipstick KissesWoman
9 weeks ago

South Down

"No one is thrusting anything upon anyone; the term "cis" is merely used to differentiate in instances where the differentiation matters But who is it it differentiating?

Mrs x"

I think you're being obtuse to not be able to envisage any situation where differentiation might be required.

Incidentally, someone who's trans doesn't have to undergo anything

Reply privately

By *chochamberWoman
9 weeks ago

Limerick

Assigned at birth

" it's a boy or a girl "

Not acceptable to me as its incorrect, a penis or vulva can be visible in a pre natal scan. Doctors observe genitals, they don't assign gender.

As above it's often not quite as simple as that to identify genitals even at birth let alone in a prenatal scan.

Also it is the sex that is generally assigned at birth, the gender that someone identifies with could be something else that someone chooses afterwards. You can choose to agree or not, but that doesn't stop this being what is happening today."

Ask any Doctor if they assign gender - the answer will be no, that is not part of their role. This description is incorrect and misleading. Any person can choose to transition later in life, I ve no issues with that.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

Why is this whole discussion all about offending/not offending CIS women!! What about the CIS men you sexist fuckheads

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

Assigned at birth

" it's a boy or a girl "

Also it is the sex that is generally assigned at birth, the gender that someone identifies with could be something else that someone chooses afterwards. You can choose to agree or not, but that doesn't stop this being what is happening today."

98.7% of the world's population are born with easily identifiable genitalia.

As for choosing gender, it's a construct that's separate from biological sex. You can allegedly chose what you want to be, means you can also chose to return to what you what you previously were.

I'm not saying it's wrong but if gender is a 'construct" it literally means it's made up.

And just because something is happening today doesn't mean it will, or should, always happen in the future. History will decide.

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *ipstick KissesWoman
9 weeks ago

South Down

Assigned at birth

" it's a boy or a girl "

Also it is the sex that is generally assigned at birth, the gender that someone identifies with could be something else that someone chooses afterwards. You can choose to agree or not, but that doesn't stop this being what is happening today.

Ask any Doctor if they assign gender - the answer will be no, that is not part of their role. This description is incorrect and misleading. Any person can choose to transition later in life, I ve no issues with that.

"

That's what he just said

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

Assigned at birth

" it's a boy or a girl "

"

Transitioning later in life (choosing a gender other than that assigned at birth) is the whole point here isn't it

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

Mrs x

I think you're being obtuse to not be able to envisage any situation where differentiation might be required.

Incidentally, someone who's trans doesn't have to undergo anything"

So instead of just giving a statement, give an example. Why am I being obtuse?

Trans people are Trans people men are men, woman are woman. That's a perfect diffraction.

I'm sorry for not mentioning those with a protected characteristic under legislation which occurs as soon as someone thinks they need to trans.

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *chochamberWoman
9 weeks ago

Limerick

"choosing a gender, other than the one determined by the fertilisation of the egg by the x or y sperm"

Clunky, but more accurate than "assigned at birth".

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

""choosing a gender, other than the one determined by the fertilisation of the egg by the x or y sperm"

Clunky, but more accurate than "assigned at birth". "

Nice. You should use that for a bit and see if it catches on. Maybe you can make it an acronym like OTTODBTFOTEBTXOYS

Reply privately

By *electableicecreamMan
9 weeks ago

The West

"Why is this whole discussion all about offending/not offending CIS women!! What about the CIS men you sexist fuckheads "

Goddammit he's right.

Nobody has even asked us guys how we feel about being called male.

Typical.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"Why is this whole discussion all about offending/not offending CIS women!! What about the CIS men you sexist fuckheads

Goddammit he's right.

Typical."

Fuck the matriarchy

Reply privately

By *chochamberWoman
9 weeks ago

Limerick

"Why is this whole discussion all about offending/not offending CIS women!! What about the CIS men you sexist fuckheads

Goddammit he's right.

Typical.

Fuck the matriarchy"

Damn right, we all need a good old fuck to decompress x

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

I think I did pretty good not using the word "female" once this whole thread

Reply privately

By *aseylee324Couple
9 weeks ago

Goddammit he's right.

Typical."

That's because nobody cares!

Reply privately

By *ichael McCarthyMan
9 weeks ago

Lucan

"I think I did pretty good not using the word "female" once this whole thread"

You've just used it there now.

Reply privately

By *og-ManMan
9 weeks ago

somewhere

Goddammit he's right.

Typical.

Fuck the matriarchy"

Now he's quoting Taylor Swift ffs

Reply privately

By *ichael McCarthyMan
9 weeks ago

Lucan

Am I correct in thinking the take away from this whole thread is "be respectful of others and their wishes"?

Reply privately

By *iSi74Man
9 weeks ago

Drogheda, Meath, Dublin

"What is a woman though "

What ever she wants to be..

Reply privately

By *iSi74Man
9 weeks ago

Drogheda, Meath, Dublin

"Am I correct in thinking the take away from this whole thread is "be respectful of others and their wishes"? "

Some people find that very hard

Reply privately

By *ichael McCarthyMan
9 weeks ago

Lucan

"Am I correct in thinking the take away from this whole thread is "be respectful of others and their wishes"?

Some people find that very hard"

Therein lies so many of life's problems alright.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

Goddammit he's right.

Typical.

Fuck the matriarchy

Now he's quoting Taylor Swift ffs "

I just threw up a little bit

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

"Am I correct in thinking the take away from this whole thread is "be respectful of others and their wishes"? "
Spot on, Mrs x

Reply privately

By *ionycusMan
9 weeks ago

Babylon

L.G.T.B

LETS GET THE BEERS

Reply privately

9 weeks ago

"…… can people please stop using “female” when they mean “woman”.

"

So they can’t…..But I think they don’t want to.

Reply privately

By *anandJCouple
9 weeks ago

Citywest

Well.. I’m not looking for a woman (meaning partner/wife). I have one. I’m with her for close to 20 years. I’m very happy she doesn’t have penis (she’s female).

It’s fab- we are looking for people here to have sex with them and for most if not all in here it’s important to know if the other person is a male or female. Therefore that’s what we are looking for. Woman as an adult human female with the female being very important part. Why creating language flip flops instead of accepting reality? And I can’t agree to be called cis man- I’m just a man. Always was. So why someone who always existed in the language have to be renamed to accommodate someone new? Let use new terms and words for new entrants.

Dan.

Reply privately

9 weeks ago

Group identity is bad.

Forced speech is bad.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"Well.. I’m not looking for a woman (meaning partner/wife). I have one. I’m with her for close to 20 years. I’m very happy she doesn’t have penis (she’s female).

It’s fab- we are looking for people here to have sex with them and for most if not all in here it’s important to know if the other person is a male or female. Therefore that’s what we are looking for. Woman as an adult human female with the female being very important part. Why creating language flip flops instead of accepting reality? And I can’t agree to be called cis man- I’m just a man. Always was. So why someone who always existed in the language have to be renamed to accommodate someone new? Let use new terms and words for new entrants.

Dan. "

Wouldn't it be handy if there was some way to express that you were looking for a woman (one who who was assigned female at birth) as opposed to a woman (who identifies as a woman, but was not assigned female at birth).

Can you see how it might be important to easily make that distinction using a short prefix that describes very clearly what you're looking for. Getting in a snot about that prefix may well not be in your advantage.

It might not be a daily issue for you today, but lines only get more and more blurred as time goes on.

Reply privately

By *ornucopiaMan
9 weeks ago

Bexley

Surely the default Fab term for females is 'Lady's[sic]'?

Reply privately

By *ayFieldsMan
9 weeks ago

Leixlip

Fuck me Jesus would be turning in his grave.....if he didnt rise from the dead

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"Fuck me Jesus would be turning in his grave.....if he didnt rise from the dead "

I thought he was all about the dudes in dresses

Reply privately

By *ayFieldsMan
9 weeks ago

Leixlip

"Fuck me Jesus would be turning in his grave.....if he didnt rise from the dead

I thought he was all about the dudes in dresses "

He was ahead of his time alright

Reply privately

By *chochamberWoman
9 weeks ago

Limerick

"Fuck me Jesus would be turning in his grave.....if he didnt rise from the dead

I thought he was all about the dudes in dresses

He was ahead of his time alright "

Twas all on the bible all along.

The End.

Reply privately

By *ogladyWoman
9 weeks ago

The bog

"Well.. I’m not looking for a woman (meaning partner/wife). I have one. I’m with her for close to 20 years. I’m very happy she doesn’t have penis (she’s female).

Dan.

Wouldn't it be handy if there was some way to express that you were looking for a woman (one who who was assigned female at birth) as opposed to a woman (who identifies as a woman, but was not assigned female at birth).

Can you see how it might be important to easily make that distinction using a short prefix that describes very clearly what you're looking for. Getting in a snot about that prefix may well not be in your advantage.

It might not be a daily issue for you today, but lines only get more and more blurred as time goes on. "

don't need a prefix there is already a word for it.. It's called female..

Reply privately

By *I TwoCouple
9 weeks ago

"No doubt the usual suspects are gonna come in here whinging but nonetheless, can people please stop using “female” when they mean “woman”.

A few reasons:

So yea, if you’re looking for a woman to meet, you’re looking for a woman, not a female. Unless you’re not looking for a human to meet and then we have other problems "

Perhaps you need to email the site owners.

Categories are

M, F, MF,MM,FF TV/TS/CD last time I looked,still .. what would they know

Reply privately

By *I TwoCouple
9 weeks ago

Mrs x

Mrs x

A female horse is a mare

A female dog is a bitch

Female is an adjective, woman is a noun. It’s simple English. "

Actually according to the Oxford English dictionary, female is an adjective and a noun.

Reply privately

By *runchMan
9 weeks ago

Dublin

Imagine getting your granny pants in a twist over something so trivial

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

Dan.

It might not be a daily issue for you today, but lines only get more and more blurred as time goes on. "

A woman not assigned as a female at birth, using your terminology is not a woman then. They may be a trans woman. But a woman is female from birth, no need to transition, and therefore no need for a prefix. Simple. It's only been the status quo for hundreds of thousands of years.

Why change it?

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *runchMan
9 weeks ago

Dublin

Dan.

A "woman" who was not assigned female at birth is not a woman. Problem solved.

Humans love unnecessarily complicating things!

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

"Imagine getting your granny pants in a twist over something so trivial

"

I do not wear Granny pants, I've never worn Hranny pants, thank you...

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *ozzlesMan
9 weeks ago

galway

A few reasons:

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'm happy to call people what they want. Hopefully if I get it wrong, before I'm told, most people will try to find out if I'm being offensive or just a bit thick.

Good thread, lots of interesting stuff.

Reply privately

By *imerick ladyWoman
9 weeks ago

suburbs

"I think it's hair splitting to the nth degree.

Male and female are used in other scenarios where people know it obviously meant to refer to male or female human beings. I m sure some public bathrooms have male and female signs. "

I agree . It’s semantics . When I’m looking for bi fun I look for a female. If someone takes offence to it when none is indented , that’s on them

Reply privately

9 weeks ago

"I think it's hair splitting to the nth degree.

Male and female are used in other scenarios where people know it obviously meant to refer to male or female human beings. I m sure some public bathrooms have male and female signs.

I agree . It’s semantics . When I’m looking for bi fun I look for a female. If someone takes offence to it when none is indented , that’s on them "

100% semantics and they know exactly what they’re doing

Reply privately

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple
9 weeks ago

kinda dublin

I'm not much of an LGB, but I've always identified as QT 😘

Reply privately

By *eroLondonMan
9 weeks ago

Mayfair

Would you mind awfully if I used the term "Lådy"...❓

Failing that then perhaps "harlot" if she's called Charlotte.

Reply privately

By *amsevenMan
9 weeks ago

cork

I'm absolutely DISGUSTED after reading all that, that it wasn't about 2 oiled up ladies wrestling

Reply privately

By *1CorkCouple
9 weeks ago

Cork

Should we specify that we’re seeking foursome, MWM (M for Man, not Male) and MWW scenarios???

For the record, we have no difficulty deciphering the intended use of ‘Female’ in conversation or site/ lifestyle descriptors, we have no objection to anyone basing gender assumptions about us on our genitalia, and the (mis)use of “Female” as a noun is so far down the list of grammatical transgressions in modern day parlance that it is perfectly fine by us (subversive utilage of the English language is the duty of Irish males and females in our opinion).

Reply privately

9 weeks ago

Northern Ireland

"

But have your friends tried to label you as CIS against your will or at least without your own encouragement to do so..which was my point"

I'm quite happy to be called cis why would I be unhappy?

And yes...it comes up and sometimes it me calling myself that.

I have mild fibroids, growths which are attached to my womb and about every 3 months/cycles give a day of pain. So a chat with my friend about something like this it's relevant as I have a womb and she does not. Sometimes it's a conversation about vulva, clitoris, arousal, gspots etc. So when you get to the technical differences between our bodies it's relevant to have, sometimes, the ability to say I'm a Cis Woman. And I am using the word cis so frequently that it's become habit.

This site does not even have a trans descriptor. Only TV/CD. I suspect that's going to have to change soon as it's really showing the site as being outdated.

It's the way of the world now. Yes you can choose not to keep up, but being unaffected by this issue is going to be near impossible. Go look in the school playgrounds, these kids are gender queer and all sorts of sexualities. These are tomorrow's adults. In every day life you'll meet and interact with them. They'll be taking your blood pressure and serving you hot food.

Make no assumptions and while we are at it get used to calling everyone they/them until they share what their pronouns are. That's only very basic respect.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"

But have your friends tried to label you as CIS against your will or at least without your own encouragement to do so..which was my point

I have mild fibroids, growths which are attached to my womb and about every 3 months/cycles give a day of pain. So a chat with my friend about something like this it's relevant as I have a womb and she does not. Sometimes it's a conversation about vulva, clitoris, arousal, gspots etc. So when you get to the technical differences between our bodies it's relevant to have, sometimes, the ability to say I'm a Cis Woman. And I am using the word cis so frequently that it's become habit.

This site does not even have a trans descriptor. Only TV/CD. I suspect that's going to have to change soon as it's really showing the site as being outdated.

It's the way of the world now. Yes you can choose not to keep up, but being unaffected by this issue is going to be near impossible. Go look in the school playgrounds, these kids are gender queer and all sorts of sexualities. These are tomorrow's adults. In every day life you'll meet and interact with them. They'll be taking your blood pressure and serving you hot food.

Make no assumptions and while we are at it get used to calling everyone they/them until they share what their pronouns are. That's only very basic respect.

"

💥 Thank god I was nearly losing all hope for the future until I read this.

Everyone was acting like using the descriptor cis is going to make their vagina fall off.

Reply privately

By *runchMan
9 weeks ago

Dublin

"

"

lol

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

"

"

Is your friend a trans woman or a woman who has had a hysterectomy?

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *I TwoCouple
9 weeks ago

"Should we specify that we’re seeking foursome, MWM (M for Man, not Male) and MWW scenarios???

For the record, we have no difficulty deciphering the intended use of ‘Female’ in conversation or site/ lifestyle descriptors, we have no objection to anyone basing gender assumptions about us on our genitalia, and the (mis)use of “Female” as a noun is so far down the list of grammatical transgressions in modern day parlance that it is perfectly fine by us (subversive utilage of the English language is the duty of Irish males and females in our opinion)."

Love you pics, M&F or M&W or whatever ... Both of you

Reply privately

By *oserMan
9 weeks ago

where the wild roses grow

A few reasons:

Ah Jaffa cmon ffs, are ya just looking for something to be offended by

Reply privately

By *I TwoCouple
9 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 31/07/24 10:25:20]

Reply privately

By *I TwoCouple
9 weeks ago

"

Go look in the school playgrounds, these kids are gender queer and all sorts of sexualities. These are tomorrow's adults.

"

And there is the problem.

Children should be children and not encouraged to question things they are far too young to be able to cope with.

And adults should not be encouraging it.

Reply privately

By *affa31 OP   Woman
9 weeks ago

Galway

A few reasons:

So yea, if you’re looking for a woman to meet, you’re looking for a woman, not a female. Unless you’re not looking for a human to meet and then we have other problems

"

Nope not looking for it but when I see it, it gives me the absolute ick (much like the word ick gives some people the ick )

Reply privately

By *oserMan
9 weeks ago

where the wild roses grow

"Maybe I should’ve just pointed out that saying “looking for a female” is plain old grammatically incorrect. Female is an adjective not a noun. Woman is a noun.

It’s not really about gender and more about shitty use of language. "

Aaahhh

Reply privately

By *oseredWoman
9 weeks ago

Dublin

"

"

How is calling everyone they, a basic respect to all? Not everyone wants to be called they either. I acknowledge those that prefer this and I use as requested by those. But for some sections of society being referred to as a "they" is rude and insulting, others find it factually and grammatically confusing. The point being that there is no one way of satisfying everyone and offending nobody. So maybe don't use any pronouns until you know someone. And if you don't like the language someone uses, then don't engage with them. Any new blanket term for all people, decided by some people will always incur debate and conversation, which is healthy and hopefully educational. Humans are diverse and that diversity should be respected.

Reply privately

By *electableicecreamMan
9 weeks ago

The West

Whenever I read a post or a bio that says they are looking for 'a female' it always feels a little zoological.

I blame Attenborough.

At the same time I wouldn't bat an eyelid if it said female on a toilet door or on a form I was filling out.

What's certain is that we now live in a world where any individual can assert their right to be called or not called whatever they like and this will become the norm as the next generations grow up.

Reply privately

9 weeks ago

Northern Ireland

"

How is calling everyone they, a basic respect to all? Not everyone wants to be called they either. I acknowledge those that prefer this and I use as requested by those. But for some sections of society being referred to as a "they" is rude and insulting, others find it factually and grammatically confusing. The point being that there is no one way of satisfying everyone and offending nobody. So maybe don't use any pronouns until you know someone. And if you don't like the language someone uses, then don't engage with them. Any new blanket term for all people, decided by some people will always incur debate and conversation, which is healthy and hopefully educational. Humans are diverse and that diversity should be respected. "

To clarify I don't call someone they/them to their face straight away. I ask off the bat, what are your pronouns? and then respect their answer. I hang out with a really diverse crowd. Not a heteronormative one. No assumptions can be made.

If I'm referring to someone to a third person, I'll say they them if I'm not sure what the pronouns are.

Reply privately

By *ipstick KissesWoman
9 weeks ago

South Down

"

Go look in the school playgrounds, these kids are gender queer and all sorts of sexualities. These are tomorrow's adults.

Children should be children and not encouraged to question things they are far too young to be able to cope with.

And adults should not be encouraging it."

She said nothing about encouraging it though? Are you confusing providing support with giving encouragement?

The reality is that some children DO question it. And for those that are questioning we absolutely should provide an environment where they are free to express their feelings, to ask those questions. To simply bat that away because, in the opinion of someone who isn't experiencing what the child is experiencing, they are too young, can create a situation that is harmfully distressing for a questioning child.

I remember in a past discussion, taking pains to explain this at length based on personal experience. You thanked me for my candour and for giving an informed account of a child with gender dysphoria. Sometimes I wonder why I bother. Then I remember that if my son's experience helps even just one child in a similar situation then it's worth it.

Reply privately

9 weeks ago

Northern Ireland

"

I take the view that kids have the freedom finally to have self expression without societal gender based roles assigned to them.

When I went to school I was denied Technical Drawing because that was for boys. I got sent into the typing class because women who work (those that aren't pregnant or cleaning and cooking) are all secretaries.

And there's nothing wrong with being a secretary. It's just my school decided girls eduction was only relevant in that area.

Reply privately

By *ionycusMan
9 weeks ago

Babylon

I wonder what the next nonsense will be.

The pyramid of needs etc.

When there is no problem people create one.

C'mon people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, gotta love one another right now.

No one should be offended if someone calls them , he or she if they visibly appear like so , and they can f@#k off if they think they can control how I see things as they appear to me, if you ask me to call you they them or she or zee , I'll try my best but sometimes it might creep out as She or he because my brain works like that , i observe and react, I will try though.

Reply privately

9 weeks ago

Northern Ireland

"I wonder what the next nonsense will be.

C'mon people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, gotta love one another right now.

No one should be offended if someone calls them , he or she if they visibly appear like so , and they can f@#k off if they think they can control how I see things as they appear to me, if you ask me to call you they them or she or zee , I'll try my best but sometimes it might creep out as She or he because my brain works like that , i observe and react, I will try though.

"

The trying is key.

I have a really diverse group of friends and I get it wrong sometimes. I say sorry and tell them I'm an idiot and move on. It's taken in good grace.

But I try. And I mostly get it right.

Reply privately

By *electableicecreamMan
9 weeks ago

The West

"

As the parent of a trans male who presents as female I can tell you that his challenges had nothing to do with his access to information or choice.

It's the information that he has access to and the knowledge that he has choice as a right and was supported by his family, school and peers that made it possible for him to transition with confidence and avoid a whole plethora of mental health issues.

He's a happy confident kid.

I'd say about half his class changed their pronouns and declared their sexuality when they were about eleven. It was like trying on new fashion. The school, who's principal brings his boyfriend to school events, supported those kids and worked to educate them. By and large most of the kids reverted to where they started and the kids who didn't feel as normal as the rest of them.

I know it's not always the case but the environment and circumstances for the kids in this school allowed them the space to experiment and choose and it was an enormous success.

It was so successful the national board for educate together updated the sex ed program using this class as a case study.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"

Just because you didn't experience any of this, doesn't mean there isn't a problem for some other people. That's where the consideration and compassion comes in. I'm glad you're gonna make an effort this stuff is new for many many people.

Reply privately

By *ipstick KissesWoman
9 weeks ago

South Down

"

As the parent of a trans male who presents as female I can tell you that his challenges had nothing to do with his access to information or choice.

It's the information that he has access to and the knowledge that he has choice as a right and was supported by his family, school and peers that made it possible for him to transition with confidence and avoid a whole plethora of mental health issues.

He's a happy confident kid.

I'd say about half his class changed their pronouns and declared their sexuality when they were about eleven. It was like trying on new fashion. The school, who's principal brings his boyfriend to school events, supported those kids and worked to educate them. By and large most of the kids reverted to where they started and the kids who didn't feel as normal as the rest of them.

I know it's not always the case but the environment and circumstances for the kids in this school allowed them the space to experiment and choose and it was an enormous success.

It was so successful the national board for educate together updated the sex ed program using this class as a case study."

This is beautiful to read and, with the very odd exception, was the experience my son (also trans male and currently female presenting) whose school also provides support and a safe space for questioning children.

His biggest emotional trauma and mental health issues stem from before he felt able to put his gender dysphoria into words. It was being able to talk about it that saved him.

Reply privately

By *runchMan
9 weeks ago

Dublin

"

Agree with this, though deep down everyone knows "she" is not actually she, no matter the amount of attempted convincing to the contrary. People are not stupid

Reply privately

By *I TwoCouple
9 weeks ago

"

She said nothing about encouraging it though? Are you confusing providing support with giving encouragement?

The reality is that some children DO question it. And for those that are questioning we absolutely should provide an environment where they are free to express their feelings, to ask those questions. To simply bat that away because, in the opinion of someone who isn't experiencing what the child is experiencing, they are too young, can create a situation that is harmfully distressing for a questioning child.

I remember in a past discussion, taking pains to explain this at length based on personal experience. You thanked me for my candour and for giving an informed account of a child with gender dysphoria. Sometimes I wonder why I bother. Then I remember that if my son's experience helps even just one child in a similar situation then it's worth it."

I thanked you for your explanation.

It didn't change my opinion.

You will never change my opinion.

Thankfully, more and more people are starting to question all this gender crap.

I've nothing against a man or a woman deciding to change what they are, but no way I'll stand back and not defend children being left out of it.

Reply privately

By *ipstick KissesWoman
9 weeks ago

South Down

"

I remember in a past discussion, taking pains to explain this at length based on personal experience. You thanked me for my candour and for giving an informed account of a child with gender dysphoria. Sometimes I wonder why I bother. Then I remember that if my son's experience helps even just one child in a similar situation then it's worth it.

I've nothing against a man or a woman deciding to change what they are, but no way I'll stand back and not defend children being left out of it.

"

I'm not trying to change your opinion.

However I'll never stop trying to explain why it is important that questioning children are supported not suppressed.

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

A few reasons:

Nope not looking for it but when I see it, it gives me the absolute ick (much like the word ick gives some people the ick )"

If it really gives you the ick why have you used the acronyms MFM and MMF as something you are looking for on your, as you put it, 'Fuckit List"?

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *he KakapoMan
9 weeks ago

A nice rock

"

"

Can I ask what you would say to those adults who have transitioned or the ones who didn't because the support and option wasn't there to speak as a child about their feelings about the trauma they felt?

People don't just wake up at 18 with gender dysphoria.

I think there are absolutely conversations to be had about how those discussions and supports are facilitated for children, but you can't just leave them out of it as its affecting some of their mental well being

Reply privately

By *runchMan
9 weeks ago

Dublin

A few reasons:

Nope not looking for it but when I see it, it gives me the absolute ick (much like the word ick gives some people the ick )If it really gives you the ick why have you used the acronyms MFM and MMF as something you are looking for on your, as you put it, 'Fuckit List"?

Mrs x"

Bahahahaha OP caught rotten!

Let's hear HER attempt to wiggle out of this one

*grabs popcorn*

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

"

I'm not trying to change your opinion.

However I'll never stop trying to explain why it is important that questioning children are supported not suppressed."

Extremely important, all children need to feel loved, protected and able to voice all concerns or questions they have about all aspects of their lives. It's hard enough growing up without being made to feel they have to be silent and go through things on their own. Love and respect for everyone.

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *ipstick KissesWoman
9 weeks ago

South Down

"

I also find it paradoxical that if a child is too young to cope with something that we should leave them alone with that thing rather than support them in coping with it, regardless of what that thing is

Reply privately

By *ipstick KissesWoman
9 weeks ago

South Down

A few reasons:

Nope not looking for it but when I see it, it gives me the absolute ick (much like the word ick gives some people the ick )If it really gives you the ick why have you used the acronyms MFM and MMF as something you are looking for on your, as you put it, 'Fuckit List"?

Mrs x

*grabs popcorn*"

Because it's being used adjectivally. Keep up.

Reply privately

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple
9 weeks ago

kinda dublin

Here's my reluctance with asking people their pronouns.

Since the dawn of time, the most insulting/humiliating thing you can say to a woman (besides asking a fat lady if she's pregnant) is accidentally calling her a man.

If you are not in a very diverse group where it's already given that you ask pronouns on introduction. If I met a woman with a bit of a mustach, and the first thing i ask her is what her pronouns are. I think it's going to destroy her self confidence, because that random guy obv thought she looked like a man.

I am not going to risk that! It should be up to the person to introduce themselves with their pronouns, not me to ask.

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"Here's my reluctance with asking people their pronouns.

Since the dawn of time, the most insulting/humiliating thing you can say to a woman (besides asking a fat lady if she's pregnant) is accidentally calling her a man.

If you are not in a very diverse group where it's already given that you ask pronouns on introduction. If I met a woman with a bit of a mustach, and the first thing i ask her is what her pronouns are. I think it's going to destroy her self confidence, because that random guy obv thought she looked like a man.

I am not going to risk that! It should be up to the person to introduce themselves with their pronouns, not me to ask."

It's actually quite easy face to face to avoid gendered pronouns. I find it way harder talking about someone with a 3rd party. If unsure then "they" is unlikely to be a problem for anyone.

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

A few reasons:

Mrs x

*grabs popcorn*

Because it's being used adjectivally. Keep up."

I'll do my best to keep up.

So ss you may already know, adjectives are words that modify nouns. Adjectives do not modify verbs or adverbs or other adjectives.

So examples are bigger, faster, stronger. So it could be bigger female, faster female or stronger female.

Bit thats not the case on your profile. You used MFM and MMF separately with no adjective before them. So in this case you used Female as a noun.

Was that too quick for you?

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *oseredWoman
9 weeks ago

Dublin

A few reasons:

Mrs x

*grabs popcorn*"

Pointlessly rude!

Reply privately

By *ortyairCouple
9 weeks ago

Wallasey

Sorry for saying you used this on your profile when it'd the other womans profile.

However my point still stands.

Mrs x

Reply privately

By *ilthyNightsCouple
9 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

I don't know about the noun/adjective stuff... But I do know that asking for a mmw or mwm is going to cause confusion. Best to stick with words that people understand, as Jaffa did.

Reply privately

9 weeks ago

Northern Ireland

"Here's my reluctance with asking people their pronouns.

I am not going to risk that! It should be up to the person to introduce themselves with their pronouns, not me to ask."

Here's why it's still respectful to ask what someone's pronouns are.

The person may have a womb and a vulva and at certain life stages be technically able to bear children if they want. The same person may be non binary. Or Enbys is a commonly used term as well (for someone who is NB). A person that has a Penis and ejaculate and have semen etc...they may also be non Binary. There is a growing sector in our community who identifies as no gender. They see gender as a box and refuse to be put in that box.

So therefore asking what their pronouns are is not like asking are you a man when you 'look' like a woman.

It takes two seconds to ask.

It's not an insult.

I'm very heteronormative looking, middle aged, boring old fart. I've been asked. And my pronouns are she/her thank you for asking.

Reply privately

By * tale of 2 citiesCouple
9 weeks ago

Belfast

Hey Jaffa....445

Is the answer the number of eye rolls while reading this thread

Reply privately

By *arbieandbaldyCouple
9 weeks ago

Dublin, Liverpool

A few reasons:

Regarding this post or even meeting in work regarding this subject. I'm just blunt. Men can't be women. Women can't be men. You might be able to dress like one, get some surgery done but that won't change who you are. Now I'm all for live and let live once your over 18 do what you want. But at the same time don't expect me to change the way I think to suit you. The world doesn't work like this. As a father and a husband, i wouldn't want any man who is pretend to be a woman accessing Women spaces. Especially places where my daughter or wife would be using. I would go so far to stop any man (transwomen) from entering Women toilets and change rooms. Your a man pretending to be something you can never be. If this Hurts people feelings it's called tough. The world isn't fair.

Reply privately

By *ichael McCarthyMan
9 weeks ago

Lucan

"Regarding this post or even meeting in work regarding this subject. I'm just blunt. Men can't be women. Women can't be men. You might be able to dress like one, get some surgery done but that won't change who you are. Now I'm all for live and let live once your over 18 do what you want. But at the same time don't expect me to change the way I think to suit you. The world doesn't work like this. As a father and a husband, i wouldn't want any man who is pretend to be a woman accessing Women spaces. Especially places where my daughter or wife would be using. I would go so far to stop any man (transwomen) from entering Women toilets and change rooms. Your a man pretending to be something you can never be. If this Hurts people feelings it's called tough. The world isn't fair.

"

I hate to have to break it to you but women are in far greater danger from the men in their lives and families than they are from any random stranger, trans person or not. The overwhelming majority of violence against women comes from men they know well, and the margins aren't even close.

Ironically, one of our great patriots who promulgates this absolute horseshite about women being in mortal danger from trans men is one of the greatest threats to women himself.

Yes MacGregor, I'm looking at you, you fucking lecherous creep.

Reply privately