Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Bad need of money!

Jump to newest

By *oo much time on my hands OP   Man
12 weeks ago

Cork

Hi all,

Probably not the place for this but I’m going to ask and see if any good suggestions come up. So I’m separated from my ex wife about 4 years now and have two kids that I see very regularly.

I’m so sick of just existing really, my parents are onto me about moving on with life now and settling down with another woman and to be honest the interest is just not there. Besides the fact I have no interest in getting involved in a serious relationship again I simple can not afford it either.

I work full time and after all bills are paid I literally have nothing spare to be going on dates or anything like that.

I’m very lucky to have full time work but jeez a little something extra on the side would be great! I would even go so far as to say I would consider selling my body but I don’t think that’s a very common money maker amongst men .

My question is what side hussles if any are out there to make a few extra euro?

I have a truck license so I was thinking about driving in the evenings or when I don’t have the kids at weekends but I would need cash in hand really and those jobs are not out there or am I looking in the wrong places? I have a CV up in a few places but everyone seems to be looking for only full time workers and I can’t do that.

I am a carpenter by trade and am very good with my hands but I no longer work in that field so the option of “foxers” is there but it would be hours when I’m not at my 9-5 job.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *BT4KICKSWoman
12 weeks ago

Cork

Loads of people are looking for reliable reasonable odd jobs man to do small jobs like hang a door sand a floor put together furniture. Would love a weekend person or after hours so they don't have to take time off to be in. Put up notice in your local shop ect and tell your friends your going to do it to pass the word around. You will find once you get a few jobs word gets around and you will be kept going. Good luck.

By *CExeCouple
12 weeks ago

Lincoln/Exeter

If you have a spare room you can move a lodger in.

Ebay or Gumtree for anything with value that you've not looked at, used etc in 6 months or more.

Print out the last 2 months statements and go through it and identify anything non essential; Netflix, Prime, stuff like that soon adds up.

If low mood is kicking in, get along to Andy's Man club or similar and talk about it.

By *adyKarmennTVTV/TS
12 weeks ago

Dublin

Hey im so sorry to hear this but honestly i think this is everyone

I have my own business aswell as been an entertainer, i work 6 days a week and this year ive seen a massive change in peoples spending habits and its hit me massively, so much so im even thinking of whats next

So dont be to hard on yourself, this is common just not many are as brave as you to speak out

I know one of my mates does deliveries for businesses, im not sure what way it works i think people hire him to like deliver furniture an stuff instead of getting the company to! He does that in the evenings and weekends. Like you he has kids that he sees at certain times

I wouldnt see why you couldnt do the nixer work outside of your work hours? Most people i dont think mind on things like that once its not stupid o clock really

By *ealitybitesMan
12 weeks ago

Belfast

Just be careful using your truck licence for evening work because you will have to list your daytime job as other work on your tacho and have proper rest periods each day.

By *aseylee324Couple
12 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

Since you already have a skill, it seems an obvious one to carry out work for people outside 9 to 5, qualified tradespeople are almost impossible to find for odd jobs. As most people are out at work themselves it's pretty convenient if you can get a tradesperson to call without having to take time off.

By *oxminxCouple
12 weeks ago

NaughtyVille *×* Laois

Well done on keeping everything going!

Having been through similar myself (m) many years ago, you may find many girls are understanding of guy's in your finiancial situation who are separated.

Try not to be put off dating and having the odd meeting over a coffee and a walk.

Keep the best side out and very best of luck

By *adyKarmennTVTV/TS
12 weeks ago

Dublin

This also ...Agree!!

By *iscuits8Man
12 weeks ago

Meath / Dublin / Birmingham

Aside from the taking on extra work thing OP, I think it'd be well worth your while going through your accounts/spending with a fine tooth comb.

Any recurring unneccesary stuff, get it cancelled, but also shop around when it comes to utilities. I find it unreal the amount of people who just let contracts and direct debits just run and run. At the end of every contract period I look around for better deals, it saves me a small fortune every year.

I'm definitely not tight, but I would say I am frugal.

That goes for electricity, heating, broadband, TV, phone, car insurance, home insurance.

I also try my best to plan out my lunches and dinners each week and stick to a strict shopping list. Making large batches of dinners for multiple days saves me not just money but time too. I don't often buy lunch from shops etc and rarely buy takeaway coffees, I find them a total rip-off. And I'm not meaning to sound like some auld one there ranting about young people not being able to get mortgages because they're spending their money on avocados. I can buy the makings of 5 days' lunches for the price of a roll and a coffee from my local Centra.

Lastly, like Karmenn said above and it may not be much comfort to you but - the majority of us are feeling the pinch financially. The cost of everything has just gone through the roof.

By *iscuits8Man
12 weeks ago

Meath / Dublin / Birmingham

Oh and also - I do hope things turn a corner for you

By *ilthyNightsCouple
12 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

Firstly don't let anyone else tell you if/when you are ready for a relationship. Only you know that yourself.

You are in a good position having a trade where many many people are looking for cash jobs doing. Put an ad up on messageboards and see what comes in. You can take your pick.

You don't need to splash the cash to begin dating. Anyone who only dates high earners with no baggage is a cunt and you don't want them anyway.

12 weeks ago

Cork

Well that went better than I had expected

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions and also the lovely DM’s.

I can tell ye all that there is nothing more able to concentrate your mind on getting value for money than having no money in the first place. I have everything that is not of importance in my life gone from my life, I had basic sky and that is even gone now because of their ridiculous price increases. I actually took out my insurance this year with “it’s for women” and got a great deal by doing so.

I bring a lunch to work every single day because buying lunches is crazy money plus you don’t know how good it is for you either!

I have thought of putting up adds and sending out business cards but I’m just afraid that this will get back to my ex as we are not divorced yet and it would be seen as a “second” income as it has been thrown at me already about being a “qualified” person who can make extra money if I needed to during our separation agreement. So I have started the divorce proceedings just this week to try and get that finalised now and out of the way.

As I say thanks again for all the replies.

By *chochamberWoman
12 weeks ago

Limerick

Nixers, DIY, putting furniture together for people. What about acting as a Steward for any local sports stadium. Bus driving for tourists coaches?

No need to go dating or fancy dating. Most people just meet for coffees or walks these days.

By (user no longer on site)
12 weeks ago

I've made money doing loads of stuff butler in the buff life drawing but if that's not your gig what about takeaway delivery driver they usually pay cash in hand or amazon or deliveroo

By *electableicecreamMan
12 weeks ago

The West

I'm a single parent with two kids and I live like a pauper basically. Fab life has to live around my priorities as a dad and this year that meant keeping the mileage down and just letting go of hotel meets altogether and social events and parties unless they are in Galway.

And it's totally fine. A coffee meet is just that and I'm happy to meet people within an hour's drive and I'm lucky enough I can host.

A good way to pick up weekend work is through festivals and event management/ promo companies. You can get on the books and pick up work when your available.

Best of luck

By *rialbyfire1235Man
12 weeks ago

South KK

Sorry for your situation OP. Discretion regarding work is obviously a top priority for you.

A second SIM card and phone is the only option to have some deniability of your cash in hand work with regards to your divorce. If you put up ads locally or online use new email addresses and Facebook accounts etc.

With your carpentry skills, something like handy man, furniture assembly would be right up your street as others have suggested.

If you have any streaming services, cancel them. I just use YouTube and the channel 4 app now. Get dvd’s out of the library too. I actually watch less and read more, do bits around the now because of it.

Best of luck!

12 weeks ago

Dating need not be expensive. Anyone who wants to spend time with you won't worry what you do together and those that want to be "treated" steer clear!

Best of luck.

By *rRiosMan
12 weeks ago

dublin

"I've made money doing loads of stuff butler in the buff life drawing but if that's not your gig what about takeaway delivery driver they usually pay cash in hand or amazon or deliveroo"

Came here to say delivery driver is normally cash in hand

By *inky Bear and VicsCouple
12 weeks ago

Northern Ireland

I think there's a market for a kink friendly or sex positive handy person. So things like hard points on ceilings, installing sex rooms, St Andrews crosses etc.

You could be present on Fet and on here. You can't advertise directly but word of mouth or the odd pic of a recent project would be good. Also there's Reddit.

By *chochamberWoman
12 weeks ago

Limerick

Fab taxi driver, to from socials.

By *om TangoMan
12 weeks ago

aughnacloy monaghan area

Put your carpentry skills to work. Set up a business type facebook page or fake profile. State your available evenings and weekends. Post pictures of your finished jobs. Sooner or later if your good word of mouth will help you. I’d stay away from lorry driving because if you’re involved in an accident and RSA find out you haven’t had your daily/weekly rest you might find yourself walking and a fine to pay. Fella here locally does kinda taxi service for our local GAA club. He will leave you home for a donation so maybe that’s something you could think about.

By *hynot2399Couple
12 weeks ago

Sligo

"Just be careful using your truck licence for evening work because you will have to list your daytime job as other work on your tacho and have proper rest periods each day. "

90hrs in 2 weeks and 11hrs rest a day. I knew I sat those cpc for a resson

12 weeks ago

Cork

I am actually blown away by the response to my original post. It truly seems like I am not alone and I will be honest here I have gone through a lot of stuff all by myself because I find it easier to process situations this way so thanks for all the suggestions about talking to people and I would urge anyone in a similar position to talk to someone if that is what you need to do. A quote I live my life by is

“when you think you are in the depths of darkness just think that you have just been planted and are waiting to grow again”.

This little post has given me the push to start dropping the 2,500 business cards I made up 3 years ago into letter boxes and see what happens.

Thanks again to all for the kind words.

By *andyMandy xWoman
12 weeks ago

Luck of the Irish ....

"I am actually blown away by the response to my original post. It truly seems like I am not alone and I will be honest here I have gone through a lot of stuff all by myself because I find it easier to process situations this way so thanks for all the suggestions about talking to people and I would urge anyone in a similar position to talk to someone if that is what you need to do. A quote I live my life by is

“when you think you are in the depths of darkness just think that you have just been planted and are waiting to grow again”.

This little post has given me the push to start dropping the 2,500 business cards I made up 3 years ago into letter boxes and see what happens.

Thanks again to all for the kind words. "

By *astelloWoman
12 weeks ago

Far far away

Definitely go for it. Like many others, when recession hit in 2008, l had to reassess everything to keep the family afloat. You've many desirable skills especially with carpentry. Plenty cash out there for odd jobs.

Great advice above. I rented out my house for Airbnb. Kept the bills paid with little outlays. Delivery driver also good options. Good luck.

By *lowloadandgocoupleCouple
12 weeks ago

ferrybank

I'm lucky enough to hold a well paid job but in these days it doesn't really cut it unless both are earning a good wage.

In the last 3 years the cost of living has exploded, groceries, insurance, phone bills, everything seems to be rising weekly .

My oldest is hopefully starting college and wants to study in Galway in the coming months, obviously I won't deny her that but will be a financial burden for years to come.

Point being op I think we are all felling it...

By *leasurevilleMan
12 weeks ago

kilkenny

I might know of a cash in had artic truck driver job op. pm and I'll give you info.

been there before being broke. lived on porridge and spaghetti bol for 12 months while paying crazy money for court circus. had to be done and it will pass. you sound motivated. regarding dating, you'll find someone when the timing is right. sounds cliche. a decent lady friend can be a massive help. plenty of girls in the same situation, just be honest and upfront

By *andyMandy xWoman
12 weeks ago

Luck of the Irish ....

I did pm the op he is sound out, not going into detail, we all have our reasons been on here, Respect and No Judgement Required

By *ka ..Agent k ..Man
12 weeks ago

Meath, Louth border of Airgialla & Naughty,

pretty much sound advice from all of above Op there's not so much I can add only to say I'm sure most will agree we all had bumps and knocks at some stage along the road

In time you'll have the wind on ur back and the sun in ur face as you turn the corner.

Ur last Paragraph in ur post struck a cord..

I was always thought to use ur head for making money and ur hands for counting it, well theoretically that's not tru its the opposite way round..

Your good with ur hands and willing to work with wood it's a good start..

As for the driving jobs tbh there's too many thieves on the roads nowadays on the touch trying to take your hard earned cash it's a wash.

By *ubadubdubWoman
11 weeks ago

Hereabouts

Hi OP

Have you looked into your electricity usage, that can be a big drain financially. You can look at electricity insights from the smart meter and see if there can be savings made there. Some plans include a cheaper night rate and you can put on the washing machine, dishwasher, emersion heater and chargers at night to save a few sheckels.

By *oinNumberMan
11 weeks ago

Not in Dublin

Not an easy thing to say even on a forum so fair play. Most people are genuine and i hope people’s replies here give you confidence.

Just another thought, although a bit of a risk. So instead of extra work, could you look for a better paid full time job? May not be an option but worth exploring too.

Wish you the best

11 weeks ago

Be come a qualified ref can make a couple hundred euro a week. I'm a referee co-ordinator and some my them make 3/4 hundred a week.

By *ominanTeeMan
11 weeks ago

Sligo

Firstly, stop allowing your parents interfere in your life. You're 44 man, tell them mind their own business.

Next point, you're a chippy, got a place to work?? Build bdsm furniture, niche market

By *ex coupleCouple
11 weeks ago

wexford

"Loads of people are looking for reliable reasonable odd jobs man to do small jobs like hang a door sand a floor put together furniture. Would love a weekend person or after hours so they don't have to take time off to be in. Put up notice in your local shop ect and tell your friends your going to do it to pass the word around. You will find once you get a few jobs word gets around and you will be kept going. Good luck. "

Very true

Can make easy cash if ye wanted by cutting lawns and doin odd little jobs that no one else has time doin

Not easy in your situation just keeping your head above water

By *elle111Woman
11 weeks ago

NI

Same OP I have a good job but bought house 1.5 years ago and high mortgage payments and bills are a killer so I have taken a second job and work 6 days a week. I would say that I had to find a handy man, fitting skirting, hanging pictures, curtain poles and shelves etc and I pay him £20 per hour so to me that is a no brainer for you. Handymen are in demand. The dating thing might also come naturally that way u never know.

By *elle111Woman
11 weeks ago

NI

And the BDSM thing could be a gold mine. I had a love swing I bought and for the love of me in 3 years I didn’t have the balls to get someone to hang it. You really could be onto a winner there. Thing of adaptations for beds for restraints etc Glory Hole screens that can be moved around etc

By *appydays999Man
11 weeks ago

milltown

Iv been reading the forums for a long time , there seemes to be a lot of gifted skilled handy people on fab , is time we try and link us together to help each other out ?

11 weeks ago

Cork

Morning everyone, I was wondering why I had so many “views” on my profile the last few days and I can see now why because this topic has resurfaced again .

I must say again thanks for everyone who has reached out with messages and even job offers!

On the BDSM furniture I had to have a giggle cos I can only imagine my fathers look if I arrived out home to the workshop with plans in hand to make a St Andrews cross

As I say this whole experience has given me the extra push to firstly get my divorce sorted out finally and then start a new chapter whatever way it takes me.

Even though yesterdays result was not to be for Cork, I hope you all have a great week

By *lack FridayMan
11 weeks ago

Galway

"Same OP I have a good job but bought house 1.5 years ago and high mortgage payments and bills are a killer so I have taken a second job and work 6 days a week. I would say that I had to find a handy man, fitting skirting, hanging pictures, curtain poles and shelves etc and I pay him £20 per hour so to me that is a no brainer for you. Handymen are in demand. The dating thing might also come naturally that way u never know. "

Great advice.

Often in life, what you are looking for,is right in front of you.

By *ocal studMan
11 weeks ago

A town near you

Maybe if a local hotel needs a night porter that maybe you could get a free hours kip while working through the night there and your ESB and heating bills might drop a little also as you wouldn't be at home at night or a take away at night time from saying 6 or 8 til finish or cleaning in a local factory at night.we are all struggling financially the last few years with the cost of living.i work 2 jobs and still struggle so you are not alone but other than that maybe taxi driving on the evenings or weekends.

Post new Message to Thread