13 weeks ago

Gods Own Country

Celebrate or not, respect each other's cultures folks

Please have a peaceful day and reepect all

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *og-ManMan
13 weeks ago

somewhere

The respect for other cultures doesn't go very far with the flags and pictures on the bonfires or the K.A.T posters

Genuine question do you think it can ever turn into a tourist thing like St Patricks day which could bring in extra money

By *rRiosMan
13 weeks ago

dublin

"Genuine question do you think it can ever turn into a tourist thing like St Patricks day which could bring in extra money "

Maybe, but not currently.

By *ublinoM45Man
13 weeks ago

South Dublin

Hardly. Has the 12th ever become an occasion in the U.S. Whereas, St Pattys Day……

By *ipstick KissesWoman
13 weeks ago

South Down

"The respect for other cultures doesn't go very far with the flags and pictures on the bonfires or the K.A.T posters

Genuine question do you think it can ever turn into a tourist thing like St Patricks day which could bring in extra money

"

You rarely see this at actual Twelfth parades. The bonfires tend to be separate entities altogether. Certainly the more provincial Twelfth parades are more tourist-friendly, and it's not unusual to see both sides of the community enjoying the day. However, to see a parade done well and which does attract tourists, then I'd say look to the Royal Black Institution's 13th July parade in the village of Scarva in Co. Down.

By *lassy lady 216Woman
13 weeks ago

Craigavon

Nothing glorious about it 2 days of being stuck at home not able to go anywhere but yes everyone to there own

By *om TangoMan
13 weeks ago

aughnacloy monaghan area

Anyone out celebrating their culture today I hope yous have a wonderful day with your family and friends and make it home safely.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
13 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"The respect for other cultures doesn't go very far with the flags and pictures on the bonfires or the K.A.T posters

"

From what I've heard from friends in the north, many just close up shop and don't go out in this time . It's moved likely to be the sort of thing that people schedule to be somewhere else for, rather than bringing in any tourist money.

By *ealitybitesMan
13 weeks ago

Belfast

I don't like the bonfire culture but that's across the board on both sides.

I've always been out and about working on the 12th and had traffic issues but never anything more than that and I know what areas to avoid at particular times of the day so I'm not sitting in long queues.

Beyond that I say live and let live.

By *inky Bear and VicsCouple
13 weeks ago

Northern Ireland

In the West of NI the bonfires aren't as much if a feature. And 11th night doesn't happen to my knowledge. I didn't even know about 11th night until I started work in Belfast and everyone was making plans about the traffic.

I don't like the bonfire culture and as someone says it is separate from the parades.

Also in the West there's been a move to turn it into Orange Fest. I passed the playing fields where it was held a couple of years ago and it looked like a big village fair. I didn't go but I don't think I'd feel intimidated to go. It was doing no harm and seemed to have a good atmosphere. Also there's no real need to adjust your plans or travel routes other than find which towns are hosting the main parade and avoid not from fear but from getting stuck in traffic. All the businesses that benefit will be open, like cafes.

Live and let live I think.

By *ipstick KissesWoman
13 weeks ago

South Down

From what I've heard from friends in the north, many just close up shop and don't go out in this time . It's moved likely to be the sort of thing that people schedule to be somewhere else for, rather than bringing in any tourist money."

Why on earth would you not go out?

Asides from road closures at the actual 18 parade venues (and some of those will only be closed for a fairly short time) it's just like any another day.

By *og-ManMan
13 weeks ago

somewhere

I'd like to see a parade and the pageantry of it all with the marching bands and yes I understand now the day is different to the bonfires

I remember seeing a documentary by Brian O Driscoll a few years ago that was very informative

By *weetcplCouple
13 weeks ago

mid town

I welcome all unionist with a warm handshake and a friendly smile because they are good decent people, the orange order are a sectarian organisation who spend there time hating catholics with a so called superiority over them, they also have close links to the formation of the KKK in America, Ulster Scots and the hill Billy's, would you attend a KKK festival

By *ipstick KissesWoman
13 weeks ago

South Down

"I welcome all unionist with a warm handshake and a friendly smile because they are good decent people, the orange order are a sectarian organisation who spend there time hating catholics with a so called superiority over them, they also have close links to the formation of the KKK in America, Ulster Scots and the hill Billy's, would you attend a KKK festival "

The 82 year old Orange Order member that lives next door to me married a Catholic and spends his time gardening, watching TV and chatting with visitors and neighbours

Also, what's wrong with the Ulster Scots?

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

I don't know enough about this first hand to make an informed comment (never stopped you before etc.. etc.. I heard you down the back)

But all I'll say is one fucking Paddy's day a year is enough ffs we don't need another one.

Although the weather is better so maybe we could combine it and get an extra day off in July instead of march

By *weetcplCouple
13 weeks ago

mid town

"I welcome all unionist with a warm handshake and a friendly smile because they are good decent people, the orange order are a sectarian organisation who spend there time hating catholics with a so called superiority over them, they also have close links to the formation of the KKK in America, Ulster Scots and the hill Billy's, would you attend a KKK festival

The 82 year old Orange Order member that lives next door to me married a Catholic and spends his time gardening, watching TV and chatting with visitors and neighbours

Also, what's wrong with the Ulster Scots? "

nothing wrong with ulster Scots, just talking about there connections to the Hill Billy's in America and the KKK, your neighbour sounds like a nice man. Why associate with a sectarian organisation, there numbers a dwindling, most unionist don't want to be part of the nonsense

By *affa31Woman
13 weeks ago

Galway

Zero issue with people celebrating their culture with parades etc.

I do have an issue with sections of the community burning flags (including Palestinian flags ffs) and effigys. It’s about time they grew the fuck up in all honesty.

By *weetcplCouple
13 weeks ago

mid town

"Zero issue with people celebrating their culture with parades etc.

I do have an issue with sections of the community burning flags (including Palestinian flags ffs) and effigys. It’s about time they grew the fuck up in all honesty. "

well said Jaffa, Hot videos by the way xx

By *og-ManMan
13 weeks ago

somewhere

I do have an issue with sections of the community burning flags (including Palestinian flags ffs) and effigys. It’s about time they grew the fuck up in all honesty. "

Driving through Belfast since last October, Some loyalist areas have Israeli flags flying and some nationist area's have Palestinian flags flying

By *ipstick KissesWoman
13 weeks ago

South Down

"I welcome all unionist with a warm handshake and a friendly smile because they are good decent people, the orange order are a sectarian organisation who spend there time hating catholics with a so called superiority over them, they also have close links to the formation of the KKK in America, Ulster Scots and the hill Billy's, would you attend a KKK festival

Also, what's wrong with the Ulster Scots? nothing wrong with ulster Scots, just talking about there connections to the Hill Billy's in America and the KKK, your neighbour sounds like a nice man. Why associate with a sectarian organisation, there numbers a dwindling, most unionist don't want to be part of the nonsense "

My point was that they don't spend their time hating Catholics.

Please explain the close links to the KKK and Hill Billies and, if there's nothing wrong with the Ulster Scots, why did you include them when you mentioned KKK & HB

By *ipstick KissesWoman
13 weeks ago

South Down

Likewise. Lots of communities are trying to push back against that.

By *ani57Man
13 weeks ago

Naas

Well I used to live in Dunmore East and between there and Tramore, hoards of people used to come every year just purely to get as far away from all of the 12th as possible to me anyway that says a lot

By *rCurious_MrsCuriousCouple
13 weeks ago

Letterkenny

Personally I think its a load of shite, Respect is something that Should be earned. No culture earns Respect by burning Irish flags, Effigies of politicians from the Republic, and this year to top it off a mock up police car .

All in the name of a battle that happened 400 years ago in a country that was lost by the Crown. I'm willing to bet a large proportion of the idiots celebrating it couldn't point out where the boyne is on a map

Only part of it I Personally enjoy is when one of the idiots inevitably wins the Darwinism award by either setting themselves on fire or falling off a bonfire.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
13 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"I don't know enough about this first hand to make an informed comment (never stopped you before etc.. etc.. I heard you down the back)

But all I'll say is one fucking Paddy's day a year is enough ffs we don't need another one.

Although the weather is better so maybe we could combine it and get an extra day off in July instead of march"

Just wait until reunification. We're gonna have great fun sorting out these public holidays

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

"I don't know enough about this first hand to make an informed comment (never stopped you before etc.. etc.. I heard you down the back)

Although the weather is better so maybe we could combine it and get an extra day off in July instead of march

Just wait until reunification. We're gonna have great fun sorting out these public holidays "

Look if we can just have 1 football team and possibly get to more championships let's leave it at that for now.

Cause the rest needs a whole different thread

By *rRiosMan
13 weeks ago

dublin

" …pictures on the bonfires or the K.A.T posters"

Kiss all taigs

By *hemanforallseasonsMan
13 weeks ago

Dublin

Each to their own and respecting different cultures is a no brainer, especially those of your immediate neighbours. That should be reasonable to all with any semblance of humanity.

The problem, as I see it - and I will caveat this by saying I’m an outsider so don’t really know what I’m talking about - is that the whole premise about the 12th is that it celebrates the Glorious Revolution and the victory of one side of the community over the other side of the community.

The bonfires themselves literally commemorate the beacons which led William of Orange into carrickfergus ahead of the battle.

So as far as I can tell, and correct me if I’m wrong, but the whole thing stands to celebrate the victory (350 years later!) in the faces of the other community.

Like, how are catholics/nationalists ever meant to get behind this? Genuine question.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
13 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

These events aren't designed to be something that the catholics/nationalists can get behind. Try are historically designed to antagonise and are a relic of a more divided time. I can't imagine these things help with peaceful reconciliation.

By *chochamberWoman
13 weeks ago

Limerick

Yes, vain glorious triumphalentism, not a pleasant attribute.

By *ildarekinkstersCouple
13 weeks ago

kinkytown

I have no issue with people celebrating the victory of a homosexual Dutch king. I do have an issue with the hate and violence seems to generate. Also the toxic fumes those bonfires generate due to the dyes in the pallets would give me cause for concern.

By *antra MassageMan
13 weeks ago

Wicklow

Whatabout the Vikings....!

They get left out all the time. Let's light bonfires in Clontarf to celebrate our glorious defeat of the Vikings. The 1,010th anniversary is this August.

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

"Whatabout the Vikings....!

They get left out all the time. Let's light bonfires in Clontarf to celebrate our glorious defeat of the Vikings. The 1,010th anniversary is this August."

Tbf as far as forgien invaders go the Vikings have a great PR department

By *andytown OP   Man
13 weeks ago

Gods Own Country

"Nothing glorious about it 2 days of being stuck at home not able to go anywhere but yes everyone to there own "

Could you not find the door

By (user no longer on site)
13 weeks ago

Kilt girl that pic was a random joke I’m sorry it went the wrong way

By *andytown OP   Man
13 weeks ago

Gods Own Country

Wonderful day had by all im told, rest easy folks

Post new Message to Thread