Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Gym Question

Jump to newest

By *iCuri0 OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Shannon

So I just started at the gym today and it mostly went well. I definitely felt the burn but my question is after how many weeks did you see results? So far my worst enemy in the gym is the bench press

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iCuri0 OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Shannon

Also I know this is a sex website but seeing as a lot of ye look well exercised I thought it would be a good idea to ask

By *reatwineMan
14 weeks ago

sligo

All depends what you mean by results. Is it losing fat? Is it that you can lift heavier or run longer. Like it would all depend on your goal. For me the results started after 4 months cause I was able to run 10k and not feel dead

By *iCuri0 OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Shannon

My goal is to increase strength and improve stamina

By *ymbuddy48Man
14 weeks ago

newbridge

6 weeks you'll see results

By (user no longer on site)
14 weeks ago

Tomorrow, if you did it right , you'll feel it. Measure yourself against yourself and no-one else, so long as you are better than yourself yesterday, you are winning.

Good luck with it and if you miss a few days don't quit, just start again, that's the secret.

By *iCuri0 OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Shannon

"Tomorrow, if you did it right , you'll feel it. Measure yourself against yourself and no-one else, so long as you are better than yourself yesterday, you are winning.

Good luck with it and if you miss a few days don't quit, just start again, that's the secret. "

Thanks man I've no intention to quit. I'm stating doing 2 days a week and I'm going to increase it as I get into a routine

By *iCuri0 OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Shannon

"6 weeks you'll see results"

I hope you are right. I'm in no rush but it would be nice to see that quickly

By *rishmanabroadMan
14 weeks ago

Dublin/Belfast

Goes beyond what you asked, but I wish someone had told me the following (obviously take or leave):

Sleep is super important here for results. Get at least seven hours and be consistent on when.

As is diet (depends on goals)… make sure you’re eating well (e.g. oats) long before the work out so has you can work out at your best.

Creatine and beta alkaline are great supports to boost performance in session. And obviously high quality protein for growth and recovery after.

Keep a few sequential records of performance to track improvements over time (and body photos if interested). It can help motivation and prevent drift.

Change your routine after 10-12 weeks (body adjusts quickly).

Don’t focus too much on results. The process can become fun and rewarding in its own right. Focus on the that.

By *osyRedLipsWoman
14 weeks ago

Kildare

I found getting a program in the gym to follow helped me a lot. So I do a four day split ie leg day back day etc so gives the muscles time to repair and grow. My advice just stick with it every week you'll start to feel stronger. There's no magic transformation going to happen in few weeks lot of people give up when they don't see instant results.

By *om TangoMan
14 weeks ago

aughnacloy monaghan area

Look up 5x5 stronglifts

By *ublinstud_MisstattooCouple
14 weeks ago

City Centre

"My goal is to increase strength and improve stamina

"

Depends on your commitment and how many times you go. How good is your diet protein intake etc (misses). How hard you push yourself

By *iCuri0 OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Shannon

Depends on your commitment and how many times you go. How good is your diet protein intake etc (misses). How hard you push yourself "

I'm definitely trying to push myself and I do have a fair bit of protein in my diet. I'll be increasing the amount of times I go as I make a routine of it.

By *addyseeds.ieMan
14 weeks ago

Dublin

Sleep and proper diet already been mentioned.

Quit or drastically reduce alcohol consumption. Then it’s important to eat food and supplements that help with testosterone level to keep your muscles toned/growth.

By *immyinreadingMan
14 weeks ago

henley on thames

"6 weeks you'll see results"

Agreed.

Commit to a good appropriate programme for 6 weeks, coupled with good nutrition and rest, and OP should see results.

Programme needs to ne appropriate though. If it isn’t hard enough then results may not be noticeable, and if it’s too hard then fatigue will impede progress

By *immyinreadingMan
14 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Look up 5x5 stronglifts"

If doing this, get proper coaching on technique. Novices having a go at deadlifts and squats is dangerous

By *immyinreadingMan
14 weeks ago

henley on thames

Depends on your commitment and how many times you go. How good is your diet protein intake etc (misses). How hard you push yourself

I'm definitely trying to push myself and I do have a fair bit of protein in my diet. I'll be increasing the amount of times I go as I make a routine of it."

Better off having 5 or 6 decent sessions per week than completely knocking the arse out of it 2 days a week.

Rest has been mentioned, but the other rest-related factor is recovery time. If you overdo it in one session, your recovery time could be 3 or 4 days.

14 weeks ago

You need to look at all parts of your life! Sleep pattern, rest pattern, diet (food intake) and lifestyle choices. Then select the right gym for you or if a gym is right for you and not classes! Are you going alone? Have you friends going with you or at the gym. Motivation levels and source of motivation. Then you can look at the amounts of sessions, when you do them in the morning day or night. Alot to fitness & strenght. I'd find a person local to assist in looking at all these factors then be realistic with yourself and your goals v time frame.

By *he KakapoMan
14 weeks ago

A nice rock

The how long till I see results question is like asking how long is a piece of string.

The key is setting recording your base, be that bmi metrics or a performance ones. And then looking for the progress.

Some people are great at recognising the small wins and progress in themselves, other have to actively work or be worked on to recognise them.

Work as hard at recognising the progress and benefits as you do at actually working on.

By *iCuri0 OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Shannon

"You need to look at all parts of your life! Sleep pattern, rest pattern, diet (food intake) and lifestyle choices. Then select the right gym for you or if a gym is right for you and not classes! Are you going alone? Have you friends going with you or at the gym. Motivation levels and source of motivation. Then you can look at the amounts of sessions, when you do them in the morning day or night. Alot to fitness & strenght. I'd find a person local to assist in looking at all these factors then be realistic with yourself and your goals v time frame. "

I'm in the same gym as my housemate but I'm exercising alone. I do ask the staff questions sometimes. I go around 6 ish in the evening after work. My sleep pattern is very consistent and my diet is OK I think

By *undubguy100Man
14 weeks ago

Dublin

I attend the gym a lot, and I see lots of overweight people just doing weights, bigger arms maybe, but still overweight and lots of weight around the tummy area. If you want to lose weight, do 30-40 mins tough cardio, then maybe some weights. You’re codding yourself otherwise. And diet…… you have to watch what you’re eating

By *he KakapoMan
14 weeks ago

A nice rock

"I attend the gym a lot, and I see lots of overweight people just doing weights, bigger arms maybe, but still overweight and lots of weight around the tummy area. If you want to lose weight, do 30-40 mins tough cardio, then maybe some weights. You’re codding yourself otherwise. And diet…… you have to watch what you’re eating"

Maybe they don't want to lose weight tho?

Lifting weights is fun

By *iCuri0 OP   Man
14 weeks ago

Shannon

I'm happy with my weight at the moment

By *ileen_cdTV/TS
13 weeks ago

Dublin

I find that doing classes like HIIT or pilates helps me to structure my workouts. Firstly, the classes are good by themselves, but importantly, it means that I am going the classes every week because I have them in my schedule. It's too easy to postpone a non scheduled gym session to tomorrow or the day after and let the motivation slip.

13 weeks ago

About a month

Be consistent & persistent

13 weeks ago

Hi ya OP,Mr here, do all 3 bench presses, if your totally new, get a good machine and do incline, decline and flat bench! Ignore numbers! Those are for competitions or show boaters. Do dumbells and get a decent literary from the gym staff. Ask fellow gym guys to spot you! I've never refused anyone or seen anyone refused help. If you have never worked out then it's time, correct technique and the results will follow! Do not chase numbers! Just enjoy yourself and don't be hard on yourself.

By *he KakapoMan
13 weeks ago

A nice rock

I'd have to disagree on ignoring numbers.

Tracking your lifts helps track progress, highlights when you need a change, can help identify trends when your not training as well.

You don't need to go chasing massing PBs but I'd advise anyone to keep track of their progress with recordable metrics.

It can be quite motivational too.

By *osyRedLipsWoman
13 weeks ago

Kildare

I just downloaded a app called Alpha progression you can pay but I find free version is perfectly fine. I have my weeks workout planned ie Monday upper body and the six exercises I'll do and then as I do it I fill in the weight lifted. It's making me stick more to my program rather than fucking about when I get there.

13 weeks ago

"I just downloaded a app called Alpha progression you can pay but I find free version is perfectly fine. I have my weeks workout planned ie Monday upper body and the six exercises I'll do and then as I do it I fill in the weight lifted. It's making me stick more to my program rather than fucking about when I get there. "

MuscleWiki , free app

Post new Message to Thread