Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Horses for courses

Jump to newest

By *adger Broc OP   Man
15 weeks ago

Co. Cork

Maybe the lad from Straffon who is handy with a spray can could attend fab events to do running repairs on makeup or wardrobe malfunctions. He appears to be a dab hand at applying concealer.

As a life long owner/breeder of horses I was shocked but not surprised at what was revealed on Primetime Investigates.

It will be interesting to see if some of those mentioned turn up as usual at Spancil Hill and other horse fairs or the Goresbridge sales over the coming weeks.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ursecretmischiefCouple
15 weeks ago

The West

The horse industry in this country is a complete mess. The powers that be at the top of the industry need these bottom feeders to help keep the show on the road. So no interest in cleaning it up.

Numerous scandals on a regular basis are just blown over.

The only way to tidy it up is to start associating it with our food industry and thoroughbred horse breeding. The larger lobby groups and bigger money in those industries will have to act then.

By *adger Broc OP   Man
15 weeks ago

Co. Cork

There are at least 5 or 6 separate entities issuing horse passports in Ireland and many more in the UK. Horses are exported from Ireland and are being issued with false German passports after arriving in Italy were they are slaughtered for human consumption.

The animal identification system is way too easy to falsify and just doesn't work.

The cruelty highlighted is a separate matter and the fall out from what was revealed in Straffon could lead to the closure of the only horse slaughter plant in Ireland with far reaching effects on animals reaching end of life situations.

Perhaps a levy on equine stud fees rather than they being tax exempt might be an idea.

By *r.and.mrs2018Couple
15 weeks ago

Dungarvan

It was horrible to see those poor animals treated like that. From working in the industry I can hand on heart that the majority of racing yards are top class when it comes to horse welfare, I was amazed to see the level of care and attention to detail in caring for race horses in ireland, I have been in many of the big name yards and small operations and the horses welfare always came first, there are people living in worse conditions in this country in state sponsored care, I just hope it does not affect our great nations reputation in the horse racing industry just because these parasites make quick cash, mistreating these majestic animals, I hope they get everything coming to them

By *chochamberWoman
15 weeks ago

Limerick

The levy on stud fees is a good idea. Surely that levy (like stamp duty), could fund a humane end of life system.

But then, it opens up the question is Horse breeding and racing humane in the first place?

By *ilthyNightsCouple
15 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

Could someone summarise the situation? I've no idea

By *udding RoseWoman
15 weeks ago

Somewhere out there

"Could someone summarise the situation? I've no idea"

Horses are being badly mistreated before being slaughtered which isn't humane at all... It was on the news in the last couple of days...

By *chochamberWoman
15 weeks ago

Limerick

Mt sketchy knowledge:

Horse industry is worth billions, stud fees can be 100s of thousands of euro. However when animals come to end of life there is only 1 abbatoirs in Ireland. Horse meat is culturally not considered edible in Ireland but is elsewhere.

There are issues of cruelty to animals in the 1 abbatoirs that we have here. Secondly horses are sold to overseas people when the horses are at end of life and sometimes butchered in 3rd countries, even though they are marked as not for human consumption. They havnt been bred or managed or tested correctly for human consumption.

Horse passports are easily forged or mismanaged - paper not digital system, horses can be declared dead but in fact shipped to another country. The system traceability is poor. These animals that were once worth do much are filtered into a poorly traceable butchering system, they might have been medicated etc during their lifetime for issues that would mean they are not fit for human consumption.

By *ursecretmischiefCouple
15 weeks ago

The West

"Could someone summarise the situation? I've no idea

Horses are being badly mistreated before being slaughtered which isn't humane at all... It was on the news in the last couple of days..."

They are also having their documents falsified, and been sent abroad for consumption when having been undeclared unfit for consumption here. Tags, chips and documents all being changed

By *aseylee324Couple
15 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

Ah but sure everyone knows the Irish love horses

By *arquisDeSadeCouple
15 weeks ago

Dublin

I’ve been to that factory with a mare. It was a bank holiday and it was a Friday when I went. I refused to leave her when I saw the conditions of the horses inside. So loaded her back in the box and left.

The conundrum for an owner who cares about the welfare of its horses even at the end of life is it’s the only factory in the country so you’ve no options!

By (user no longer on site)
15 weeks ago

Hi Mr here! So DAFM or EHO's are on site! All abbatoirs must have a trained animal welfare officer and all handlers of the animals at various stages must have training both must hold a licence and been passed inspection. At this stage I'm sure the place is swarming with state people, an effective system Does exist! It's a failing of the state, system and people.

15 weeks ago

Mr here, This is exactly how wrongly labelled and "hidden" meat got back into the system a few years back. Padding out Beef boxes of meat with the wrong kinds of meat than the labels suggest. If an effective legal operator is not complying correctly and needs to be closed so be it. EOL operations for all animals has to be done ethically and humanely. Sorry work time. Friday so enjoy your weekend, I know we will.

By *arquisDeSadeCouple
15 weeks ago

Dublin

In the programme it was the “animal welfare officer” in the factory that was beating the horses and giving them new microchips, changing their markings and making up new passports.

By *adger Broc OP   Man
15 weeks ago

Co. Cork

"Mt sketchy knowledge:

Horse industry is worth billions, stud fees can be 100s of thousands of euro. However when animals come to end of life there is only 1 abbatoirs in Ireland. Horse meat is culturally not considered edible in Ireland but is elsewhere.

There are issues of cruelty to animals in the 1 abbatoirs that we have here. Secondly horses are sold to overseas people when the horses are at end of life and sometimes butchered in 3rd countries, even though they are marked as not for human consumption. They havnt been bred or managed or tested correctly for human consumption.

Horse passports are easily forged or mismanaged - paper not digital system, horses can be declared dead but in fact shipped to another country. The system traceability is poor. These animals that were once worth do much are filtered into a poorly traceable butchering system, they might have been medicated etc during their lifetime for issues that would mean they are not fit for human consumption. "

This

By *og-ManMan
15 weeks ago

somewhere

Didnt see the program as I cant watch cruelty but I do remember another program on greyhounds with the same issues.It seems acceptable to treat cattle,sheep,chickens and pigs in the same manner as we eat them doesnt it

By *adger Broc OP   Man
15 weeks ago

Co. Cork

"I’ve been to that factory with a mare. It was a bank holiday and it was a Friday when I went. I refused to leave her when I saw the conditions of the horses inside. So loaded her back in the box and left.

The conundrum for an owner who cares about the welfare of its horses even at the end of life is it’s the only factory in the country so you’ve no options! "

There is an alternative equine end-of-life option. Euthanasia by a vet and disposal of the carcass through a licensed knackery.

I used this method recently and it works efficiently but it costs horse owners money rather than making money by going through the horse meat route.

By *arquisDeSadeCouple
15 weeks ago

Dublin

"I’ve been to that factory with a mare. It was a bank holiday and it was a Friday when I went. I refused to leave her when I saw the conditions of the horses inside. So loaded her back in the box and left.

The conundrum for an owner who cares about the welfare of its horses even at the end of life is it’s the only factory in the country so you’ve no options!

There is an alternative equine end-of-life option. Euthanasia by a vet and disposal of the carcass through a licensed knackery.

I used this method recently and it works efficiently but it costs horse owners money rather than making money by going through the horse meat route.

"

Yes that what we did

15 weeks ago

I have a livery yard for show jumpers, and we would always use a vet and a licensed knackery. It’s always done humanely with the owners present where possible. I didn’t watch the programme as while I wasn’t aware of what was going on I’m not at all surprised.

By *adger Broc OP   Man
15 weeks ago

Co. Cork

The forging of passports for horses exported for sport/leisure, while not involving cruelty, is also a despicable and criminal practice. Horses bought at reputable sales in Ireland turning up elsewhere with false identities suggesting the animal is considerably younger and had an incorrect performance history. Many new owners have been duped by these unscrupulous dealers who are doing immense damage to our sport horse industry.

Those animals may also eventually end up in the food chain because of their forged passports.

By *aseylee324Couple
15 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

" false identities suggesting the animal is considerably younger and had an incorrect performance history.

"

Sounds like a lot of fabbers

By *hilaboutMan
15 weeks ago

kilkenny

"Didnt see the program as I cant watch cruelty but I do remember another program on greyhounds with the same issues.It seems acceptable to treat cattle,sheep,chickens and pigs in the same manner as we eat them doesnt it "
greyhound industry has had a total revamp since that programme rehoming is massive now and a percentage of price money is taking from every win to aid this also breeding has decreased by 50%.

I use cattle factory a good bit n no sticks are allow past the gate cattle are on rubber mats as opposed to concrete .

Welfare has improved dramatically over the past number of yrs just such a shame the one horse factory we have in this country couldn't be run properly with 2 or 3 department people working in there be paid €70000/€80000 .

These individuals have questions to answer.

15 weeks ago

"In the programme it was the “animal welfare officer” in the factory that was beating the horses and giving them new microchips, changing their markings and making up new passports. "

And as such now shall face criminal charges! I am one myself so I know the duties and responsibilities, but also the penalties. They will be struck off and will face prosecution and banned from working in any licenced practice again.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
15 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

I have zero knowledge and experience of horses... But I do have experience of dealing with livestock that are "end of life" and have always used a vet to euthanise and taken to a registered disposal yard where the bodies are disposed of safely. I can't see a good reason not to do things that way. The costs involved are quite small.

15 weeks ago

Mr, last words on this as i have to work and she will kill me later! All animals deserve a decent and humane existence, porcine, equine, canine, bovine, feline, poultry all have rules and laws! Everyone who owns an animals/s has a duty of care to them. I can't be around anyone who misstreats an animal as they rely solely on you the owner for food, water, warmth and safety. I personally hold animals above humans for this very reason. I absolutely hope ALL involved on this or any site similar gets just rewards and lifetime bans from working with or owning animals. Before anyone says it I am no vegan or tree hugger, but the state employees, owner Operators and staff involved should all face time behind bars! Fines are meaningless, do it right or don't do it at all.

15 weeks ago

"I have zero knowledge and experience of horses... But I do have experience of dealing with livestock that are "end of life" and have always used a vet to euthanise and taken to a registered disposal yard where the bodies are disposed of safely. I can't see a good reason not to do things that way. The costs involved are quite small."

Mr glad to hear it! There are other ways to do this, and you can receive training to do this yourself, or other service providers exist, all legal and licenced. I'm not commenting further than I've said. But your 100% do it right or quit, get out, and the state will face serious backlash, must ring a few people later on when I finish up just to wreck their heads. Backweaston will be buzzing! Lol good enough

By *assy CGNWoman
15 weeks ago

Love Shack, Sassyville

I have volunteered in a rescue and witnessed some horrendous cases. Everything possible is done to bring the horse, pony, donkey etc back to health and where there is no alternative a vet is called and tlc is there right to the very end. Whilst the focus was on the racing industry one aspect that was not mentioned was the abandonment, neglect and mistreatment of cob and dumped colt foals....its tragic seeing them so thin and riddled with worms that they can't stand. Needless to say like everything in life it's the minority of 'owners' that are the problem.

That's my rant for the day.

By *adger Broc OP   Man
15 weeks ago

Co. Cork

" false identities suggesting the animal is considerably younger and had an incorrect performance history.

Sounds like a lot of fabbers"

Post new Message to Thread