Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Bottle return scheme Record

Jump to newest

By *ourBoii OP   Man
17 weeks ago

Dublin

Love it or hate it's here and for awhile now, just wanted to see what's the highest valued voucher someone has gotten.

For me it's 4.35 must of had over 25 bottles/cans with me took ages as well!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ichael McCarthyMan
17 weeks ago

Lucan

I saw a thread on reddit this morning about this where a fella posted that he had got €18.15 back in one go.

By *ourBoii OP   Man
17 weeks ago

Dublin

"I saw a thread on reddit this morning about this where a fella posted that he had got €18.15 back in one go. "

I seen that this morning as well, God knows how many he had on hand haha

By (user no longer on site)
17 weeks ago

I've had a few similar to the €18 definitely one batch was much more closer to €25 2 black bags gets you a lot more than you think.

17 weeks ago

Got €11.25 or something like that the other week. I now bring them 40 at a time, meaning €6 per visit

By *og-ManMan
17 weeks ago

somewhere

I normally get around €25 a week back

Part of the daily routine now

Hit petrol station on the way to work ,use machine and get a discount on my coffee

By *ourBoii OP   Man
17 weeks ago

Dublin

"I've had a few similar to the €18 definitely one batch was much more closer to €25 2 black bags gets you a lot more than you think. "

Jesus I need to step up my game, could almost use the 2 black bags to pack your shopping in too

By *ichael McCarthyMan
17 weeks ago

Lucan

"I normally get around €25 a week back

Hit petrol station on the way to work ,use machine and get a discount on my coffee "

Mother of god, are you watering a herd of buffalo with the bottles, or what?

That's a hundred large bottles or 167 cans per week.

That's 14 large bottles or 24 cans per day.

Jaysus!

By *ourBoii OP   Man
17 weeks ago

Dublin

Hit petrol station on the way to work ,use machine and get a discount on my coffee

Jaysus! "

Hydration is key

By *og-ManMan
17 weeks ago

somewhere

Jaysus! "

Family buy lots of cans as thats the way they like their drinks but they pay for their own

Company buys lots of large 2 ltr bottles of water for staff

I take all the empty bottles

By *ourBoii OP   Man
17 weeks ago

Dublin

Jaysus!

Family buy lots of cans as thats the way they like their drinks but they pay for their own

I take all the empty bottles "

Returning company bottles... Now that's what I call passive income!

By *og-ManMan
17 weeks ago

somewhere

Jaysus!

Returning company bottles... Now that's what I call passive income!"

Its my company....taxman will probably come after me eventually

By *ourBoii OP   Man
17 weeks ago

Dublin

Jaysus!

Its my company....taxman will probably come after me eventually "

Taxman? I thought that was a scary story mother's told to their children like the tv license inspector?

By *s LollyWoman
17 weeks ago

The pub then supermacs ...

Id over €28.50 for less than 2 weeks collection used it in Dunnes with my vouchers I get nearly €70 off shopping..

By *ourBoii OP   Man
17 weeks ago

Dublin

"Id over €28.50 for less than 2 weeks collection used it in Dunnes with my vouchers I get nearly €70 off shopping.."

Hitting that cashier with the double voucher, fair play

17 weeks ago

I'm pretty sure a lot of offices or factories would be well north of €100 for this! Canteens etc but it should go back somehow into maybe a few drinks at Xmas party or something

By *ACOLCouple
17 weeks ago

limerick

"Id over €28.50 for less than 2 weeks collection used it in Dunnes with my vouchers I get nearly €70 off shopping.."

Great thinking!

Lina.

By *astelloWoman
17 weeks ago

Far far away

Once l started rummaging in the bins to see what students left behind..I reached a new low...

A well known bar in Killarney, changed the mixers to cans. Bills the customers for same and claims back...

17 weeks ago

Not to brag but my 10 minute walk with a massive awkward bag and an awkward smaller bag of returns paid out a whopping 14.10. Would I walk through the estate again with them? No. But I do think it is somewhat working...alot of people are returning their bottles and cans.

By *s LollyWoman
17 weeks ago

The pub then supermacs ...

Returned a bag today €18.45 that plus my €45 Dunnes vouchers tomorrow brings my shopping wayyyy down

By *ildarekinkstersCouple
17 weeks ago

kinkytown

[Removed by poster at 29/05/24 19:39:45]

By *ildarekinkstersCouple
17 weeks ago

kinkytown

Usually rack up about a tenner a trip

By *ursecretmischiefCouple
17 weeks ago

The West

"Once l started rummaging in the bins to see what students left behind..I reached a new low...

A well known bar in Killarney, changed the mixers to cans. Bills the customers for same and claims back... "

The whole thing is a myriad of ghost taxes, across the board!

By *ubadubdubWoman
17 weeks ago

Hereabouts

"Not to brag but my 10 minute walk with a massive awkward bag and an awkward smaller bag of returns paid out a whopping 14.10. Would I walk through the estate again with them? No. But I do think it is somewhat working...alot of people are returning their bottles and cans. "

It's the new walk of shame

I'm keeping my stats low cos I can't be dealing with standing at the machine for hours feeding it.

By *ofusplusCouple
17 weeks ago

Limerick

"Not to brag but my 10 minute walk with a massive awkward bag and an awkward smaller bag of returns paid out a whopping 14.10. Would I walk through the estate again with them? No. But I do think it is somewhat working...alot of people are returning their bottles and cans.

I'm keeping my stats low cos I can't be dealing with standing at the machine for hours feeding it."

The panic when you have to put your hand way in there to remove a dodgy bottle

By *ursecretmischiefCouple
17 weeks ago

The West

I'm such a loser, It feels like a great achievement when the bottle doesn't come back out..yeeesssss!

By *og-ManMan
17 weeks ago

somewhere

I think I'm hooked on the sound of the machine as it works ....its very satisfying

By *affa31Woman
17 weeks ago

Galway

I still haven’t used one! Think I have 3 things there to return since it all started. It seems that I avoid cans and plastic bottles fairly well.

By *iscuits8Man
17 weeks ago

Meath / Dublin / Birmingham

The scheme just made me realise how little I used. Rarely drink fizzy drinks and very rarely have my beers from a can. Changed from bottled orange juice to cartons. Use tap water through a Brita filter/tap thing in the fridge. If I've even got a fiver back in total I'd be surprised.

By *eordie.Woman
17 weeks ago

The Sticks

"Not to brag but my 10 minute walk with a massive awkward bag and an awkward smaller bag of returns paid out a whopping 14.10. Would I walk through the estate again with them? No. But I do think it is somewhat working...alot of people are returning their bottles and cans.

I'm keeping my stats low cos I can't be dealing with standing at the machine for hours feeding it.

The panic when you have to put your hand way in there to remove a dodgy bottle "

the fear is real

By *og-ManMan
17 weeks ago

somewhere

Some shops have stock that must be sold by Friday night or withdraw from sale as it won't have the return barcode or symbol

So expect to see massive discounts

By *aseylee324Couple
17 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

"I still haven’t used one! Think I have 3 things there to return since it all started. It seems that I avoid cans and plastic bottles fairly well. "

Same here!

17 weeks ago

"Some shops have stock that must be sold by Friday night or withdraw from sale as it won't have the return barcode or symbol

So expect to see massive discounts "

Oh... Thank you

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple
17 weeks ago

kinda dublin

Just love when you arrive to lidl and they're both out of order, so you have to waddle back to the car to drop off your recycling before continuing with your shopping. Keeps your steps up.

By *electableicecreamMan
17 weeks ago

The West

"Just love when you arrive to lidl and they're both out of order, so you have to waddle back to the car to drop off your recycling before continuing with your shopping. Keeps your steps up."

Twice now

By *ourBoii OP   Man
17 weeks ago

Dublin

"I still haven’t used one! Think I have 3 things there to return since it all started. It seems that I avoid cans and plastic bottles fairly well. "

Gotta pop that cherry! It's a great experience haha

By *oodOmensfor2Couple
17 weeks ago

Ennis

Think 12.20 was the highest yet. My main issue is that I still forget to give them the receipt when I am at the checkout more often than not

By *ergalMan
17 weeks ago

East Cork

"Think 12.20 was the highest yet. My main issue is that I still forget to give them the receipt when I am at the checkout more often than not "

Yep, have done that too, with €13 worth of returns

By *DNTMMan
17 weeks ago

Dun Laoghaire

Highest yet was just under a tenner…

Use the refunds to buy a nicer bottle of wine once a week. Feels like I’m taking tax and putting it to good use! A rare thing in today’s economy.

By *ublinstud_MisstattooCouple
17 weeks ago

City Centre

"I saw a thread on reddit this morning about this where a fella posted that he had got €18.15 back in one go. "

Me and my work mate returned that exact amount yesterday in cans and bottles...wondering if it was him ..can u send the reddit link . We had over 102 cans 60 odd bottles

By *ocksuckingslutMan
17 weeks ago

Rathcoole

I’ve yet to do it…..just asked my friends son would he do it for me so he can get the voucher and I’ll have done my recycling…..

By *layawaymaleMan
17 weeks ago

nearby

"Family buy lots of cans as thats the way they like their drinks but they pay for their own

Its my company....taxman will probably come after me eventually "

God, my head is reeling even just at the thought of that Benfit In Kind declaration for your morning coffees.

By *acob12369Man
17 weeks ago

URPANTS

Just curious, do the likes of McDonald's go through their rubbish and collect the dumped bottles. The fruit shoot and orange juice

By *reyingbeardMan
17 weeks ago

city

So whose gotten a massive fright when the 2 litre bottle goes bang as it's been squashed with the lid fully tight

By *lamingo57Woman
17 weeks ago

Carrick

I've yet to get over a fiver. I need to up my drinking game!

By *EDandBREAKFASTMan
13 weeks ago

wexford

[Removed by poster at 24/06/24 08:36:35]

By *EDandBREAKFASTMan
13 weeks ago

wexford

Theese machines are a disgrace and actually add to carbon emissions instead of reducing!! Imagine the carbon cost of building the thousands of machines and putting hundreds of new bin lorry’s on Irish roads when most people were recycling theese very lightweight plastic and aluminium containers in their Green bins anyway! Add to that the fact they use paper receipts and need ink and need constant cleaning by staff as they stink. And also Add to this the fact they are not operating or functioning properly(Three from five visits the machine has not counted my containers correctly so the company has got my deposit but not returned my money) and also the fact wheelchair users cannot reach the return slot on the machines.

Another let down by the Irish government and another display of how idiots run our countr

By *EDandBREAKFASTMan
13 weeks ago

wexford

"Just love when you arrive to lidl and they're both out of order, so you have to waddle back to the car to drop off your recycling before continuing with your shopping. Keeps your steps up."

Another possible unnecessary journey/ waste of peoples time too and a carbon output caused by this scheme. Making a car journey to a machine to find it out of order.

By *og-ManMan
13 weeks ago

somewhere

I have 2 Green bins in my house as we create so much recyclable rubbish

Since the scheme came in I keep a plastic bag in the car and bring it full of bottles and cans to the petrol station every day getting my coffee using the receipt from the machine

Its no hardship at all,part of the routine

This morning for the first time ever I didn't need to put any green bin out for collection

By *EDandBREAKFASTMan
13 weeks ago

wexford

"I have 2 Green bins in my house as we create so much recyclable rubbish

Since the scheme came in I keep a plastic bag in the car and bring it full of bottles and cans to the petrol station every day getting my coffee using the receipt from the machine

This morning for the first time ever I didn't need to put any green bin out for collection "

The one plastic bag of cans and bottles in the car surely didn’t save you from putting out 2 big Green wheelie bins of recycling. You must have cut down on all other recycling waste in the time since your last bin collection if you didn’t need to put your usual two Green bins out

By *og-ManMan
13 weeks ago

somewhere

"I have 2 Green bins in my house as we create so much recyclable rubbish

This morning for the first time ever I didn't need to put any green bin out for collection

The one plastic bag of cans and bottles in the car surely didn’t save you from putting out 2 big Green wheelie bins of recycling. You must have cut down on all other recycling waste in the time since your last bin collection if you didn’t need to put your usual two Green bins out"

Yeah .....the brown boxes that normally get delivered every feckin day were very slow this month

But I used to fill one 240 ltr green bin with cans and bottles every two weeks

Now its just food cans and shampoo bottles with cardboard

By *ublinoM45Man
13 weeks ago

South Dublin

15c a unit does not incentivise me

I’ll keep just putting in recycle bin where I can

6 returns is less than €1…. Not worth the hassle

By *chochamberWoman
13 weeks ago

Limerick

I saw a guy collecting bottles after the last Munster match, he had 2 mammoth bags full of them, there was another person with a huge wheelbarrow doing it.

Good incentive for people to pick up trash.

By *rRiosMan
13 weeks ago

dublin

"15c a unit does not incentivise me

6 returns is less than €1…. Not worth the hassle"

I actually came in here to ask something similar. How many people, who wouldn’t normally recycled, are suddenly incentivise to do so based on this charge?

My guess would be that the vast majority of people who recycle in the machines are the people who would have recycled regardless

13 weeks ago

"I saw a guy collecting bottles after the last Munster match, he had 2 mammoth bags full of them, there was another person with a huge wheelbarrow doing it.

Good incentive for people to pick up trash. "

At my work they have a coffee shop too! All the cans and bottles are left behind, but the charge is on them. There Is now 3 IBC cages full of them, it has to be a thousand euro worth, all back to the owners. Nice extra money spinner

By *carlett!Woman
13 weeks ago

"15c a unit does not incentivise me

6 returns is less than €1…. Not worth the hassle

I actually came in here to ask something similar. How many people, who wouldn’t normally recycled, are suddenly incentivise to do so based on this charge?

My guess would be that the vast majority of people who recycle in the machines are the people who would have recycled regardless "

I recycle the same as always. If I drove I'd be tempted to use the machines but with not driving it isn't as straight forward :|

By *ink-panth3rMan
13 weeks ago

roscrea

[Removed by poster at 25/06/24 22:03:20]

By *ink-panth3rMan
13 weeks ago

roscrea

"I saw a thread on reddit this morning about this where a fella posted that he had got €18.15 back in one go.

I seen that this morning as well, God knows how many he had on hand haha"

That's about 121 cans

By *leasurevilleMan
13 weeks ago

kilkenny

I got 17 euro back after my first 4 week collection. Besides the stress of some being rejected it was a fairly satisfying experience.

The massive downside is the fact that I had spent 170 euro minimum to buy those sugary drinks for myself and 2 kids

We've substantially cut down since. Word has it that mineral / soft drink sales are way down since the initiative began. very possibly for the sane reason as we've cut down

Post new Message to Thread