Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Tesla Cars

Jump to newest

By *adforit1304 OP   Man
23 weeks ago

Limerick

Hi just wondering has anyone had any experience with them are they good value?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eard and BoobsCouple
23 weeks ago

Portstewart

The proper infrastructure for mass electric vehicles is probably another 15-20 years away and currently price per mile is just as bad as ice vehicles with the amount of pollution caused by using the grid to charge them and like any newer vehicle if you buy new they lose 40% of there value as soon as they leave the showroom

By (user no longer on site)
23 weeks ago

Noooope, hes going bust apparently! EV sales are also slowing, they're not practical cost-effective or environmentally friendly, despite all the hype, hertz rentals have ditched Tesla as they're too expensive to maintain and repair!

By *adger BrocMan
23 weeks ago

Co. Cork

BYD have the most advanced battery technology which is what electric cars are all about.

By *otownkid1967Man
23 weeks ago

Portlaoise

Know a lad who has a BYD. Had look around it and have to say they are a fine bit of kit. Still don't think I would buy one for another few years.

By *og-ManMan
23 weeks ago

somewhere

I have a little niggle in the back of my head that one day all the chinese EV's will break down at the exact same time across the world ...

By *ichael McCarthyMan
23 weeks ago

Lucan

"I have a little niggle in the back of my head that one day all the chinese EV's will break down at the exact same time across the world ... "

...or they'll all transform and take over the world!

By *aney JoyTV/TS
23 weeks ago

North Dublin

Rented a Tesla and broke the roof ( a stone) was expensive. Didnt like it to drive but i am guessing they are the most common used ev

By *og-ManMan
23 weeks ago

somewhere

"I have a little niggle in the back of my head that one day all the chinese EV's will break down at the exact same time across the world ...

...or they'll all transform and take over the world! "

Great something else to worry about

Op drove a Tesla once ...build quality was shit to be honest

By *razy-CplCouple
23 weeks ago

Cork and surrounding areas

Im looking at getting a new Hybrid car , not sure yet thou

Mrs crazy

By *ewadventures2017Couple
23 weeks ago

some where near

Tesla are lovely car

2 yrs this week

Range anxiety and charge location can be a issue

Home charger good job

Depends on the type of driving you are doing

As regards reliability or maintenance tyres only thing that have been replaced

Think they are excellent car

Also have diesel car vans as well

By *entlemanjack2Man
23 weeks ago

Midlands

Electric Car batteries are way too expensive to replace presently and are anticipated to be replaced after 7-10 years as they wear out. Fk that. I’ll stick to the tried and tested motorcars and their tried and tested infrastructure for the near future.

23 weeks ago

Petrol hybrids are the way forward, we don’t have the EV infrastructure to support full electric. And I believe people will be shocked when their batteries need replacement

By *og-ManMan
23 weeks ago

somewhere

Will Toyota completely destroy the EV market as it is with the new battery that they've spent billions developing

They seem to think they will

By *annyZ100Man
23 weeks ago

Limerick

Simply not true.

Been driving one for three years and no issues whatsoever. Full charge costs 8c per kw/hr on night rate. It's already been proven that EV's are far cheaper to fuel. 100km round trip commute costs me less than €2 a day. Practically zero maintenance after 190,000km other than brake pads and discs. Pre-heated car on frosty mornings. Fun to drive, safe to drive, quiet (I don't give a shit about macho engine noises)

You don't need that much of an infrastructure if you're charging at home and you have a car with good range, which most new EV's have.

Talk to owners.

"The proper infrastructure for mass electric vehicles is probably another 15-20 years away and currently price per mile is just as bad as ice vehicles with the amount of pollution caused by using the grid to charge them and like any newer vehicle if you buy new they lose 40% of there value as soon as they leave the showroom "

By *hyeyesMan
23 weeks ago

meath

Scrap ....

By *asman1550Man
23 weeks ago

Monaghan

"Noooope, hes going bust apparently! EV sales are also slowing, they're not practical cost-effective or environmentally friendly, despite all the hype, hertz rentals have ditched Tesla as they're too expensive to maintain and repair! "

The company's not there stock is up, plus he's quite literally the richest man on the planet.

As for their cars, the build quality isn't on par with german stuff but the average user won't notice. Provided your not a traveling sales rep or something there a fantastic automobile and very viable. Initial cost is steep but after that your money in the bank.

Solar panels for your home and an eV is a great shout right now, if you do the math its a worthy investment.

Price of fuel for your car and home is ridiculous and it only ever goes one way...

23 weeks ago

"Noooope, hes going bust apparently! EV sales are also slowing, they're not practical cost-effective or environmentally friendly, despite all the hype, hertz rentals have ditched Tesla as they're too expensive to maintain and repair!

The company's not there stock is up, plus he's quite literally the richest man on the planet.

As for their cars, the build quality isn't on par with german stuff but the average user won't notice. Provided your not a traveling sales rep or something there a fantastic automobile and very viable. Initial cost is steep but after that your money in the bank.

Solar panels for your home and an eV is a great shout right now, if you do the math its a worthy investment.

Price of fuel for your car and home is ridiculous and it only ever goes one way... "

"Bloke said down the pub!"

By *eastMan
23 weeks ago

Oranmore

If you are comfortable with change and being a little bit out on the edge then like all new things EVs are for you.

By *otryMan
22 weeks ago

On the road

If u do alot of miles 100% worth it. Iv done 80k in 20months. Fuel bill has gone down from around £500 a month to £200.

By *adger BrocMan
22 weeks ago

Co. Cork

"I have a little niggle in the back of my head that one day all the chinese EV's will break down at the exact same time across the world ... "

That niggle is probably just the chip that the government fitted in you when you got the Covid19 vaccine moving from your upper arm to the back of your head.

But you are probably right that all the EV's will stop one day just like all the computer systems did with the Millennium Bug.

But at least Santa will still be dropping down chimneys on Christmas Eve....as I well know.

The world is a big round ball and it just keeps on a spinnin.

Ho ho ho.

By *ursecretmischiefCouple
22 weeks ago

The West

"Petrol hybrids are the way forward, we don’t have the EV infrastructure to support full electric. And I believe people will be shocked when their batteries need replacement "

Petrol hybrids are a complete racket. They are a total waste of time.

I personally think they should be banned as they're wasting resources.

If you buy one, you need to understand, you're buying a petrol car!

By *ub_TMan
22 weeks ago

Dublin city

I find it amusing ppl think driving electric cars will be the saviours of the planet.

And the price of the things are literally off the charts too. I’m still nowhere near convinced.

I do my bit recycling etc and saving energy, but buying electric won’t happen.

By *teppenwolfMan
22 weeks ago

Cork and Limerick

Getting a twin motor full electriv volvo in next few weeks.....should be interesting.

I do a 100 km journey twice a day.....will be able to charge at work

By *aptain Caveman41Man
22 weeks ago

Home

Best of luck trading it in when you are changing.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
22 weeks ago

Eastbourne

The company has very kindly given me a Volvo XC40 fully electric, then the landlord tells me that I can't fit a charger.

For me the car is nice, but it costs me between £10 and £40 to charge the thing depending which public charger I use.

I get between 250 to 280 miles on a full charge, but that depends on how cold the battery is. Also having the heater on take between 10 to 40 miles off my range. I only use that to demist the windows.

The is nice to drive, very quick acceleration.

Would I buy one, not yet.

By *ackandsashaCouple
22 weeks ago

West Dublin

Sharon on facebook days there is fields of old electric cars in France in mint condition that just need new batteries.

( Not sure why this often mentioned "fact" is always France )

By *igharryMan
4 weeks ago

Manchester

Owned a few teslas (model3 and y)

Fuel wise - cheap on night time rates but if you use superchargers it wont be much cheaper than diesel/petrol. £20 will get me down to london from manchester.

Drive wise - beautiful driving experience. Im a tech nerd so i fell in love with the features quickly. Namely the cruise controls ability to slow down and stop by itself in standstill traffic on the motorway and the sensors for vehicles, pedestrians etc near you on the screen are really cool.

Also very smooth drive and the newer models are apparently much quieter than before.

Design wise - very minimalistic both inside and out.

Personally i love the mininalism but i cant deny the bmw i4 is definitely more stylish. - also test drove the i4 and drive wise it was just as good if not better but the tech wasnt anywhere near as impressive. Still better than merc and audis ev’s though.

Range wise - never really had issues. Couple of times on late night drives between manchester and london iv struggled to find a charger but if i leave with 100% i can make the journey with a good 30% left over so not bad at all.

This next part is very important

Hidden costs!

Unless youre in your 60s the insurance will be a similar quote to a porsche. I couldnt even get a quote at 31 years old. Had to use my 70 year old father with myself as additional driver and the cheapest quote was £600 for a model 3.

Also i hear damage can be very expensive to fix but luckily iv never had issues.

To conclude i must say i have to recommend it. If it fits within your budget and youre tech savvy you’ll absolutely love the car.

By *rAndMrsRightCouple
4 weeks ago

newtownabbey

Just don't use it on country roads with no clear lanes. Bad craic happens...

By *rAndMrsRightCouple
4 weeks ago

newtownabbey

"Tesla are lovely car

2 yrs this week

Range anxiety and charge location can be a issue

Home charger good job

Depends on the type of driving you are doing

As regards reliability or maintenance tyres only thing that have been replaced

Think they are excellent car

Also have diesel car vans as well "

Is it a used tesla or bland new?

By *b202299Man
4 weeks ago

A...

One of my concerns is the power grid. At the moment the ratio of electric to petrol/diesel vehicles is low. If everyone was to have an electric where is the power to come from. I know people will say solar/wind but you can't rely on the weather in this country. New reservoirs will need to be build to run hydro electric plants which will mean displacing towns and villages and the flooding of the countryside which correct me if I'm wrong will mean destroying the enviroment.

At the moment single pieces of plant equipment used to mine the materials needed to make the batteries are using approximately 1000s of litres of diesel a day so how is this helping the enviroment?

By *hunkynipsMan
4 weeks ago

belfast

They have dropped in price big time not a good buy

By *hiskeyloverMan
4 weeks ago

Newtownards

I personally don’t see what the big hype is about them but my son absolutely loves them! Last October when we went on holiday we started a game to count how many we saw and it’s continued since! The count is currently 627!

By *eard and BoobsCouple
4 weeks ago

Portstewart

They lose 50% of there value in the first year

By *ot so needyMan
4 weeks ago

Galway

"One of my concerns is the power grid. At the moment the ratio of electric to petrol/diesel vehicles is low. If everyone was to have an electric where is the power to come from. I know people will say solar/wind but you can't rely on the weather in this country. New reservoirs will need to be build to run hydro electric plants which will mean displacing towns and villages and the flooding of the countryside which correct me if I'm wrong will mean destroying the enviroment.

At the moment single pieces of plant equipment used to mine the materials needed to make the batteries are using approximately 1000s of litres of diesel a day so how is this helping the enviroment?

"

The manufacture of the battery alone uses approx 9 years of emissions of a diesel car.

And that doesn't include the mining process.

By *reatwineMan
4 weeks ago

sligo

Also you need to.think if your going to be selling it in a few years. At present a lot of garages won't take second hand ev as they are having trouble selling them. Also in the UK some insurance companies have stopped insuring them as they are costing far more to.repair than an ice vehicle

By *eil DownsMan
4 weeks ago

galway

The infrastructure and power girds are urgently just not able to support them them at the moment and in probably another 15//0 years time the Hydrogen engine technology will be probably be a major contender against them.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
4 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"They lose 50% of there value in the first year "

Sounds like a great second hand deal

By *irelli555Man
4 weeks ago

Oranmore

People are only buying teslas because they are a fashion trend.

Keep away from EV cars they are financial suicide no dealer wants them as a trade in depreciation is astronomical and a lot of manufacturers have scraped their EV production.

The ICE is here to stay for awhile yet thank god

By *exesrangerMan
4 weeks ago

city

When Henry Ford build cars ppl said no way would I buy one of those yolks no way, sure you have to put a highly flammable liquid into them as fuel( I'll bet that's perfectly safe) and the tyres wear out you've got to buy new ones and when something breaks you have to go to the garage and pay to have it fixed.... no way would I ever buy one of those. I'm sticking with my trusty horse boi, never let's me down and all she wants is a sup of water and a field of grass as fuel. Nope I'll never ever buy one of those car things.

Funny isn't it

Mechanics and fancy garages must be seriously packing it. Oil companies probably not liking the evs either hmmmm??

By *og-ManMan
4 weeks ago

somewhere

Just ordered a new car ...2 litre diesel

I can get 1100kms from a full tank

There's filling stations

everywhere when it takes me 5 mins to fill one tank,empty another and get a coffee

I'll hold off as long as possible before I have to switch

By *otryMan
4 weeks ago

On the road

I have 1 as a work van. 100k in less than 2 years I wouldn't go bk. I can pull upto alot of customer sites plug in charge for free and drive home. Charge the car over a weekend for free off solar. Would I buy 1 for personal use. Probably not. Haha

By *igharryMan
3 weeks ago

Manchester

"Just ordered a new car ...2 litre diesel

I can get 1100kms from a full tank

There's filling stations

everywhere when it takes me 5 mins to fill one tank,empty another and get a coffee

I'll hold off as long as possible before I have to switch

"

Plugging in at home means i only spend 2 seconds to fill up…

The idea that all tesla drivers spend hours sitting in their cars charging isnt true. We charge at home therefore dont ever worry about not having fuel. Nevermind sitting in the car and waiting for it to charge lmao

Imagine if you could fill up your petrol/diesel tank at home. Thats what its like.

Not sure the last time i travelled more than 250 miles in 1 journey. If very long journeys is a regular thing for you then yeah might be best to hold off for now

By *arko21Couple
3 weeks ago

Co Down

Biggest cod of the century

Post new Message to Thread