Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Electric bill and fuel prices

Jump to newest

By *ildatlantic OP   Man
44 weeks ago

Dublin

I’m sick of how high my electricity bill is. How much of a rip off is petrol and diesel. The working person has no chance.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By * la carteCouple
44 weeks ago

Dublin

Go on holiday - you'll be grand.

By *urfdudeMan
44 weeks ago

WEXFORD

Moaning about the cost of living on a swingers forum wont work.

By *ACOLCouple
44 weeks ago

limerick

"I’m sick of how high my electricity bill is. How much of a rip off is petrol and diesel. The working person has no chance. "

It depends, how high is high. If you have air to water I do fear for your pocket.

Lina.

By *og-ManMan
44 weeks ago

somewhere

Op....switch suppliers every year to get the best rates on your electricity or gas ....it definitely saves you money ...better in your back pocket than theirs

By (user no longer on site)
44 weeks ago

Check out my solar.ie and look into getting an electric car. Month to month I’m saving based on fuel, electricity and servicing.

My old car cost me €150 a week based on around 1000km a week. I now charge at 8c pkw and it’s around €40 for 1000km at that rate (3 x c€10 charges a week at night).

Servicing €30 v’s €600

Solar panels €75 I get c€30pm back from the grid which virtually cancels out the car cost altogether.

Car repayments against my old car are absorbed by the reduced fuel costs and the servicing alone is saving me €2400 a year which goes a long way to paying the electricity bill.

Honestly even though I lost seats (7 seater down to 5) I don’t regret it.

Trips take a bit of planning but I would do pit stops on most journeys anyway.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
44 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"Car repayments against my old car are absorbed by the reduced fuel costs. "

I might be reading this wrong but this is suggesting that the savings you made are goin into paying for the car is that right?

So not a saving overall?

44 weeks ago

"Car repayments against my old car are absorbed by the reduced fuel costs.

I might be reading this wrong but this is suggesting that the savings you made are goin into paying for the car is that right?

So not a saving overall?"

I’m someone who always has a car loan - I buy new as I do 1k minimum a week so like to sell before the car goes 100km. This is something I omitted from the reply so can see why it would read that way but no I am definitely saving as I always have between 3 and 400 going out in car payments. My fuel costs were 600pm. Electricity wise I am paying 40pm for the car but so even repayments included I am saving €200 a month based on fuel alone.

I did about 12 months of research and spreadsheets before jumping to electric and installing solar panels my pocket is happier 5 months on.

I also have reduced serving costs. My services were costing €2400 a year plus due to mileage - that’s surplus.

The other benefit from the solar panels is I have found that the heat from my tank when the door is left open keeps my upstairs that bit warmer the water to heat up during the ev time for the reduced rate which cuts down on what is needed to heat them during the day - it also keeps a certain amount of heat circulating upstairs reducing my oil costs. The ev time is 2 to 5 so three hours of cheap heat and higher payment from the grid as a result. (18c from the grid v 8c pkw cost).

If I get a few minutes I’ll send u on the full calculations I worked out.

By *ythenMan
44 weeks ago

North Co. Dublin

Don’t start me

By *ilthyNightsCouple
44 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

Very interesting Samantha, you must do a lot of miles. You don't have any range issues?

By *ilthyNightsCouple
44 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

I'm v lucky as my business pays for my fuel and cars so im isolated somewhat from the increases, but anytime I've run the numbers on solar it's never made sense according to my calculations. I have a premesis with a lot of roof space and even with that it would take the lifetime of the panels to pay for the upfront costs.

44 weeks ago

"Very interesting Samantha, you must do a lot of miles. You don't have any range issues?"

No in fact I have a low range electric. Just 344km. I do about 200km a day so a charge every night does me.

It’s 280km real life and on a motorway more like 230km I don’t do motorway driving except for the weekend and not under pressure in that respect. My commute is on a route where there are very few chargers but plans to get them installed - it doesn’t bother me though cause I haven’t had any issues and 4 months is time enough to tease them out I feel.

My next car will be electric too based on this experience but I probably will go for a bigger battery just for a bit of extra peace of mind. I chose the smaller battery to try things out at their worst if you get me - it wasn’t the most expensive car and it will be a great starter to sell on when I do choose to sell it.

By *itygamesMan
44 weeks ago

UK

Look out for octopus energy , ive just switched, half the price

44 weeks ago

"I'm v lucky as my business pays for my fuel and cars so im isolated somewhat from the increases, but anytime I've run the numbers on solar it's never made sense according to my calculations. I have a premesis with a lot of roof space and even with that it would take the lifetime of the panels to pay for the upfront costs."

I had no upfront costs with my solar - just 75pm and they look after maintenance etc for 10 years. This is the best way I feel as they have to keep a check on them for you should anything go wrong.

By *ACOLCouple
43 weeks ago

limerick

"I'm v lucky as my business pays for my fuel and cars so im isolated somewhat from the increases, but anytime I've run the numbers on solar it's never made sense according to my calculations. I have a premesis with a lot of roof space and even with that it would take the lifetime of the panels to pay for the upfront costs."

-solar panels would only make sense if you had enough panels to feed your grid in the daytime and then hopefully feed back to the ESB grid for you to have some type of rebate from them, and most importantly that you have a South facing roof.

Ideally you will have your yearly consumption and that should tell you how many panels you need, feeding your main appliancesis what you want, but unfortunately solar panels dislike anything with a motor...

Although in Ireland with the lack of UV it can make it harder in the winter with the feeding into, but saying that, there are some panels made specifically for low UV.

Lina.

43 weeks ago

"I'm v lucky as my business pays for my fuel and cars so im isolated somewhat from the increases, but anytime I've run the numbers on solar it's never made sense according to my calculations. I have a premesis with a lot of roof space and even with that it would take the lifetime of the panels to pay for the upfront costs.

-solar panels would only make sense if you had enough panels to feed your grid in the daytime and then hopefully feed back to the ESB grid for you to have some type of rebate from them, and most importantly that you have a South facing roof.

Ideally you will have your yearly consumption and that should tell you how many panels you need, feeding your main appliancesis what you want, but unfortunately solar panels dislike anything with a motor...

Although in Ireland with the lack of UV it can make it harder in the winter with the feeding into, but saying that, there are some panels made specifically for low UV.

Lina. "

I don’t have a south facing roof - the newer panels are light rather than sunlight and even in this dull weather I am feeding back to the grid daily. I time my washing machine / tumble drier to go on at the ev time (2 to 5am) as it’s only 10pkw at that stage v me getting 18cpkw from the grid.

My house runs on .2kw during the day and I regularly have 1/2kw in this full weather so my house is running free during daylight hours and I get money from the grid.

The company I use have an app and it’s possible to view it all working in real time.

I have 11 panels for 75euto pm for water and electricity. I plan on getting 6 more next year based on how good these ones have been. They will cost me a little extra as I already used the grant against the 11 - my outlaw will be around 125pm at that stage but I can see that they will cut my bill even further and in 10 years I won’t have any monthly cost but I will have solar panels that have been serviced and maintained free unlike buying them upfront.

By *ongueandgroove555Couple
43 weeks ago

Waterford

"I'm v lucky as my business pays for my fuel and cars so im isolated somewhat from the increases, but anytime I've run the numbers on solar it's never made sense according to my calculations. I have a premesis with a lot of roof space and even with that it would take the lifetime of the panels to pay for the upfront costs.

Lina.

I don’t have a south facing roof - the newer panels are light rather than sunlight and even in this dull weather I am feeding back to the grid daily. I time my washing machine / tumble drier to go on at the ev time (2 to 5am) as it’s only 10pkw at that stage v me getting 18cpkw from the grid.

My house runs on .2kw during the day and I regularly have 1/2kw in this full weather so my house is running free during daylight hours and I get money from the grid.

The company I use have an app and it’s possible to view it all working in real time.

I have 11 panels for 75euto pm for water and electricity. I plan on getting 6 more next year based on how good these ones have been. They will cost me a little extra as I already used the grant against the 11 - my outlaw will be around 125pm at that stage but I can see that they will cut my bill even further and in 10 years I won’t have any monthly cost but I will have solar panels that have been serviced and maintained free unlike buying them upfront. "

What was the name of the company ?

43 weeks ago

Lina.

I have 11 panels for 75euto pm for water and electricity. I plan on getting 6 more next year based on how good these ones have been. They will cost me a little extra as I already used the grant against the 11 - my outlaw will be around 125pm at that stage but I can see that they will cut my bill even further and in 10 years I won’t have any monthly cost but I will have solar panels that have been serviced and maintained free unlike buying them upfront.

What was the name of the company ?"

Mysolar.ie

By * la carteCouple
43 weeks ago

Dublin

Lina.

I have 11 panels for 75euto pm for water and electricity. I plan on getting 6 more next year based on how good these ones have been. They will cost me a little extra as I already used the grant against the 11 - my outlaw will be around 125pm at that stage but I can see that they will cut my bill even further and in 10 years I won’t have any monthly cost but I will have solar panels that have been serviced and maintained free unlike buying them upfront. "

And what's the lifespan of the solar panels? I seem to be getting very mixed information here.

Very interesting contributions, thank you

By *ilthyNightsCouple
43 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"Look out for octopus energy , ive just switched, half the price "

They don't seem to be provide electricity in ireland

By *ortfadda_ladMan
43 weeks ago

carrick on shannon

€8.80 for 20kg bag of smokeless coal in the North... The same bag in the south is €17..

By *outhguy31Man
43 weeks ago

Louth

Lina.

And what's the lifespan of the solar panels? I seem to be getting very mixed information here.

Very interesting contributions, thank you "

They estimate 20 - 25 years. I have 14 on a south facing roof and so far i am very pleased with them.

The biggest problem i see with them is keeping them clean. Depending on how they are installed they could each have their own micro inverter or they could be grouped together on a string. So if one panel gets dirty the power output of the whole string will be dropped to the output of the dirty panel

By *aucyladMan
43 weeks ago

Dublin

Lina.

Very interesting contributions, thank you "

Lifespan of them will usually 25-30years.on average they lose about 1% efficiency a year down to about 80% at which point they will be over 20 years old, still working at 80% and long after paying for themselves then.

In terms of the numbers re the 75 pmth for 10 years,it would suggest a 9k outlay and I'm guessing maybe a 4.2kw system? do you have a battery also ??

As for the maintenance, there is none, there is no maintenance for solar panels as such. The only issue your gonna potentially encounter is a new inverter potentially as they tend to sometimes have issues after 10 years....otherwise I can't see what you'd be getting maintenence on?

Solar does payback well, view it as investment whereby you are getting a return daily on your investment, there are v few investments that do that.

The EV will definitely be paying back on the fuel front. Your servicing costs on your last car sounded insanely high.

The other thing that may slow is the grid payment, many places who have solar a while have seen the grid payments reduce alot compared to the initial prices. We are still new in Ireland to grid payments but some providers have started to reduce them (others have increased then to win the business but will no doubt reduce as well).

43 weeks ago

Lina.

Very interesting contributions, thank you

Lifespan of them will usually 25-30years.on average they lose about 1% efficiency a year down to about 80% at which point they will be over 20 years old, still working at 80% and long after paying for themselves then.

In terms of the numbers re the 75 pmth for 10 years,it would suggest a 9k outlay and I'm guessing maybe a 4.2kw system? do you have a battery also ??

As for the maintenance, there is none, there is no maintenance for solar panels as such. The only issue your gonna potentially encounter is a new inverter potentially as they tend to sometimes have issues after 10 years....otherwise I can't see what you'd be getting maintenence on?

Solar does payback well, view it as investment whereby you are getting a return daily on your investment, there are v few investments that do that.

The EV will definitely be paying back on the fuel front. Your servicing costs on your last car sounded insanely high.

The other thing that may slow is the grid payment, many places who have solar a while have seen the grid payments reduce alot compared to the initial prices. We are still new in Ireland to grid payments but some providers have started to reduce them (others have increased then to win the business but will no doubt reduce as well)."

The maintenance is cleaning, insurance if something breaks down without having to go through house insurance etc. I have heard horror stories.

Mysolar.ie have access to my readings so can tell if something isn’t working right. E.g when I got them installed they had to be switched off for a week because the 11 were producing too much electricity against a 4kw inverter. They came out a week later and upgraded me to a 6kw at no extra cost.

43 weeks ago

No I don’t have a battery - I crunched the numbers and a battery wasn’t worth it.

By *lavemale66Man
43 weeks ago

Carlow

"Check out my solar.ie and look into getting an electric car. Month to month I’m saving based on fuel, electricity and servicing.

My old car cost me €150 a week based on around 1000km a week. I now charge at 8c pkw and it’s around €40 for 1000km at that rate (3 x c€10 charges a week at night).

Servicing €30 v’s €600

Solar panels €75 I get c€30pm back from the grid which virtually cancels out the car cost altogether.

Car repayments against my old car are absorbed by the reduced fuel costs and the servicing alone is saving me €2400 a year which goes a long way to paying the electricity bill.

Trips take a bit of planning but I would do pit stops on most journeys anyway. "

Your servicing cost of €2400 seems a bit on the high side even allowing for the high mileage you quote.

How much do you think your electric car will depreciate over 5 years and what will you have to pay with it when changing again?

Electric cars aren't the be all and end all and they don't suit everyone's circumstances.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
43 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

I have a really REALLLY hard time believing any electronic devices will last more than 10years. I'd definitely want my money back in my pocket plus a nice extra chunk for my investment before the 10 year mark.

43 weeks ago

"Check out my solar.ie and look into getting an electric car. Month to month I’m saving based on fuel, electricity and servicing.

Servicing €30 v’s €600

Trips take a bit of planning but I would do pit stops on most journeys anyway.

Your servicing cost of €2400 seems a bit on the high side even allowing for the high mileage you quote.

How much do you think your electric car will depreciate over 5 years and what will you have to pay with it when changing again?

Electric cars aren't the be all and end all and they don't suit everyone's circumstances."

Re Ev’s never claimed they did lol however if I can go from a 7 seater smax to a Mokka e -with 1k miles a week and have it work for me then it may give someone in a similar circumstance the knowledge that they can too.

I never claimed they were the be all and end all - what I said was in terms of saving money with panels the biggest saving is getting the ev. Panels don’t save a huge amount in the first 10 years due to out lay and that can turn people off - add an ev into the mix and the saving is immediate. In terms of the environment they are crap / I’ll readily admit that - I bought to save money not the environment if I am honest. The panels do a better job in that area.

Depreciation - I plan on changing in 3 years again or I might hold on - it depends on the battery. Electric vehicles don’t carry the same wear and tear as non electrics - my battery has 7 year warranty though so I would ideally sell it with 4 years left and a year before the nct. I saw one second hand in the same category as mine and it only lost 6k in 3 years. That to me is good given a regular car can lose 4 leaving the show room.

The cost of my smax was rediculous for servicing - I know that and partially because I chose to continue going to a ford dealer. There was a lot had to be done at its age to keep it motoring but I still was offered €16k so it made economic sense to change and knock half the price off my new one.

My main reason for changing will be to go bigger. I chose to go small and small battery as my first ev so I could feel what ‘worst case scenario’ would be like against my lifestyle needs. The fact it has been fantastic so far gives me great faith when I do upgrade to a bigger battery/size car.

I’m a single parent to 3 young children. The 3 isofix was as important to me as mileage and thankfully that was also available lol

My job will also have 3 new chargers this time next year - I haven’t gotten caught short yet but that is great peace of mind and the new ev charger grant structure will improve the network even more over the next few years.

What I will say is charging on the road is an almost as expensive as diesel. There’s no saving really there but I charge at home apart from the odd ‘FAB’ outing ha ha

By *og-ManMan
43 weeks ago

somewhere

Looked at 7 solar panels companies last year...some of the savings couldn't be quantified and any pay back period was around 10 years

Some of the quotes were written on paper in front of me with an expectation of an order there and then

Wasn't impressed at all so didn't go ahead

Hopefully changing car in new year and going diesel again for as long as possible

Range anxiety would be a huge issue for me

Prefer to fill up in 5 mins knowing I have 1100kms in the tank

By *aucyladMan
43 weeks ago

Dublin

Panels depending on price points can and do have a quicker payback than 10 years. Depends alot on a few factors, the usage of your household, the price your paying for electric, the price your exporting at. Add being savy around usage such as putting on heavier usage items such as washing machines etc.. during the day when it's sunny helps to increase your self usage alot. Given the recent unprecedented prices for electric, many have payback on their systems within 6 years now.

Batteries are expensive and that can add more to the payback period for sure.

By *aucyladMan
43 weeks ago

Dublin

The prices quoted by different suppliers vary hugely also, everyone is getting into it now so competition has increased but so too has the recent vat reduction on them...grants remain a solid incentive also (although I'm not getting into that argument about how they can run up the costs too but ultimately everyone who gets a grant has to have the worked signed off by a registered supplier who can and do get inspected on their installs regularly).

43 weeks ago

This thread is wasting electricity!

43 weeks ago

"This thread is wasting electricity! "

And data

Post new Message to Thread