Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Insomnia

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
32 weeks ago

Apart from counting sleep and wanking - what helps you sleep?

I’m a serial 3am waker and would love some inspiration to help me get back to sleep.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
32 weeks ago

White Noise Doesn't work for everyone though x

32 weeks ago

Oh no can’t do white noise - freaks me out. Think the film ruined it for me - makes my mind wander into voices lol lol lol

32 weeks ago

Haha, jesus I'm worried how it relaxes me so

Insomnia is a bitch to live with x

32 weeks ago

"Haha, jesus I'm worried how it relaxes me so

Insomnia is a bitch to live with x"

Lol the one thing that did help for awhile was the rise and fall of various dictators-Hitler, Mussolini etc don’t ask me why but stories about real life murderous political leaders help relax me yet imaginary voices from static noise freaks me out.

I’ve listened to the podcasts on a repeated loop to the stage they don’t really work now unfortunately.

32 weeks ago

Melatonin is a hormone that your brain produces in response to darkness. Alot of people who suffer with insomnia lack this. There is great supplements out there. Give it a look x

32 weeks ago

"Oh no can’t do white noise - freaks me out. Think the film ruined it for me - makes my mind wander into voices lol lol lol"

You should consider taking a nice hot bath or shower before going to bed, relax maybe a glass of wine or 2. Listening to music for a while. Who knows it might make you more comfortable if nothing else.

32 weeks ago

Also reducing screen time as it can keep the mind active, but sure I wake up have a scroll on fab lol x

32 weeks ago

"Melatonin is a hormone that your brain produces in response to darkness. Alot of people who suffer with insomnia lack this. There is great supplements out there. Give it a look x"

Interesting- I’ve heard about it for kids but never clicked that as an adult it could work too. Thank you! I’ll definitely have a look - anything’s worth a try at this stage. I got around 10 hours max all last week. Heading for something similar this week though I did get about 3 during the day Sunday.

I’m not overly tired with it but at the same time would like a bit more energy to get more done.

32 weeks ago

Is this a case of 3 people with insomnia posting to the same thread?

32 weeks ago

I feel you, I do be absolutely wrecked going to bed, I am able to fall into a nice sleep but always wake between 2 and 4 and cannot go back asleep, it's a pain in the ass!!!! Luckily enough it doesn't effect my energy that much, but yeah would love 8 hours some day lol, one can hope

32 weeks ago

"Oh no can’t do white noise - freaks me out. Think the film ruined it for me - makes my mind wander into voices lol lol lol

You should consider taking a nice hot bath or shower before going to bed, relax maybe a glass of wine or 2. Listening to music for a while. Who knows it might make you more comfortable if nothing else. "

I definitely think I need to start taking showers again at night. That did help before so thanks for the suggestion.

I’m a divil when it comes to music- it doesn’t relax me - I start over analysing it - even the slow very non descript meditation music.

32 weeks ago

"Melatonin is a hormone that your brain produces in response to darkness. Alot of people who suffer with insomnia lack this. There is great supplements out there. Give it a look x

Interesting- I’ve heard about it for kids but never clicked that as an adult it could work too. Thank you! I’ll definitely have a look - anything’s worth a try at this stage. I got around 10 hours max all last week. Heading for something similar this week though I did get about 3 during the day Sunday.

I’m not overly tired with it but at the same time would like a bit more energy to get more done. "

If you’re anything like me sleeping during the day normally means I’ll not sleep well overnight. Might be something else for you to consider.

32 weeks ago

"Is this a case of 3 people with insomnia posting to the same thread? "

Looks like it ha ha

32 weeks ago

"Melatonin is a hormone that your brain produces in response to darkness. Alot of people who suffer with insomnia lack this. There is great supplements out there. Give it a look x

I’m not overly tired with it but at the same time would like a bit more energy to get more done.

If you’re anything like me sleeping during the day normally means I’ll not sleep well overnight. Might be something else for you to consider. "

I wouldn’t normally sleep during the day I just had a window Sunday and my body gave in. I’d reached my limit of no sleep I think.

32 weeks ago

If you’re anything like me sleeping during the day normally means I’ll not sleep well overnight. Might be something else for you to consider.

I wouldn’t normally sleep during the day I just had a window Sunday and my body gave in. I’d reached my limit of no sleep I think. "

For awhile was the rise and fall of various dictators-Hitler, Mussolini etc That helped you fall asleep. There could be something going on there in your subconscious that watching that kind of program relaxes you. All is well in the world they’re no longer around. Maybe watch something like that, hot bad, shower could be the key for you!

By *ool as iceMan
32 weeks ago

tallaght

Magnesium Tablets …. Take 2 a half hour before bed

Takes a couple of days to kick in

Definitely worked for me I was the exact same

Ya can purchase in the chemist over the counter……. Google it ….

Best wishes D

By *adger BrocMan
32 weeks ago

Co. Cork

Maybe going hillwalking with friends would help.

And going somewhere like Costa Coffee, (perhaps not Insomnia), for coffee and a chat afterwards would help you create some nice memories to dream about when you do finally drop off.

By *osepearlWoman
32 weeks ago

bray

[Removed by poster at 15/11/23 06:18:57]

By *rRiosMan
32 weeks ago

Dublin

I’ve tried everything over the years. White noise never helped. Exercise, baths, lavender nope.

Supplements were no good for either but two well know ones are magnesium and 5-HTP.

A lot of people find reading really helpful, but what helps me most is videos of something I know really well so my brain is not trying to engage with it. I have a library of about 20 go to videos.

Sometimes leaving the bedroom can help too to try break the brain out of the thought loop it can be stuck in.

By * la carteCouple
32 weeks ago

Dublin

A good quality, full spectrum CBD oil might help.

Definitely try melatonin - you will need a script from your GP.

Lifestyle - avoid caffeine, alcohol and nicotine, especially as the day goes on.

Have a look at foods and herbal teas that naturally make you sleepy...

Use aromatherapy oils - lavender, chamomile and bergamot.

Avoid screen time at least 3 hours before bed.

Make sure your bedroom is free of clutter, electronics and is well ventilated and as dark as possible.

Get a massage, treat yourself. I'd recommend either Thai Yoga massage to move energy primarily to see how that affects your sleep patterns or reflexology.

By *eijaWoman
32 weeks ago

City Centre

Melatonin tablets are great just you need a prescription here. I always get some when I'm in Spain and they last ages! I only take them on occasion.

B x

32 weeks ago

"Maybe going hillwalking with friends would help.

And going somewhere like Costa Coffee, (perhaps not Insomnia), for coffee and a chat afterwards would help you create some nice memories to dream about when you do finally drop off.

Are you advertising a different thread ha ha

"

32 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 15/11/23 08:27:44]

32 weeks ago

"A good quality, full spectrum CBD oil might help.

Lifestyle - avoid caffeine, alcohol and nicotine, especially as the day goes on.

Make sure your bedroom is free of clutter, electronics and is well ventilated and as dark as possible.

Get a massage, treat yourself. I'd recommend either Thai Yoga massage to move energy primarily to see how that affects your sleep patterns or reflexology.

"

I have a good CBD - I don’t use it nearly enough as I should. Usually half way through the night when I remember about it. I’m not great at taking anything.

By *og-ManMan
32 weeks ago

somewhere

I had my first night awake this week in ages and unable to go back to sleep because of work

Silly thing was I did eventually go back asleep and when I woke up to go to work all the problems were sorted in my head

If I can't get to sleep I used to stop trying to sleep,turn on a bedside lamp, and read a book to take my mind off worrying about it

I could read for hours but my mind didnt worry about it which helped

32 weeks ago

I have a good CBD - I don’t use it nearly enough as I should. Usually half way through the night when I remember about it. I’m not great at taking anything. "

If you can’t get to sleep in future you could always contact me directly. We’d have the most boring conversation about the quality of Manchester United my favourite teams football. That would put anyone to sleep, as watching them play has done for me over the past 10 seasons.

By *adger BrocMan
32 weeks ago

Co. Cork

"Maybe going hillwalking with friends would help.

Are you advertising a different thread ha ha

"

As if I would be so bold as to hijack someone else's thread....never.

But as someone who does suffer from the odd bout of sleeplessness, as I did last night, I do recommend exercising and fresh air as q way to trigger your body into requiring rest. Also no late night stimulants or screens.

If I am awake for more than an hour in the middle of the night I get up and sit reading in another room until I feel tired and ready to return to bed.

By * la carteCouple
32 weeks ago

Dublin

I have a good CBD - I don’t use it nearly enough as I should. Usually half way through the night when I remember about it. I’m not great at taking anything. "

I keep the supplements which I want to take regularly on the kitchen table so they're always in my line of sight and I actually have a regular alarm go off to remind my daughter to take her meds.

By *ensualandslow321Man
32 weeks ago

Tullamore

Get your hands on a book called

'Peaceful Sleep' by Jan Sadler

It sorted my insomnia out years ago and still keep a copy beside my bed.

It's really worth a read

32 weeks ago

hi op

Of your sleep pattern isn't effecting your energy levels and mood you are doing fine.

8 hours sounds great but you really only need 2 hours of deep sleep. during 8 hours in bed asleep most good sleepers will have 3 hours light sleep 2 hours REM 2 deep sleep and 1 hour awake.

You might not be doing too bad. Go easy on yourself x

By *axlecool03Man
32 weeks ago

Dublin

"Apart from counting sleep and wanking - what helps you sleep?

I’m a serial 3am waker and would love some inspiration to help me get back to sleep. "

I am the same coffee helps it gives me sleep unlike others lol

32 weeks ago

Good sleep hygiene is key. Also you could be snoring unknowingly and it’s affecting you REM

By *r_Insatiable666Man
32 weeks ago

Cork

"Haha, jesus I'm worried how it relaxes me so

Insomnia is a bitch to live with x

Lol the one thing that did help for awhile was the rise and fall of various dictators-Hitler, Mussolini etc don’t ask me why but stories about real life murderous political leaders help relax me yet imaginary voices from static noise freaks me out.

I’ve listened to the podcasts on a repeated loop to the stage they don’t really work now unfortunately. "

Lovecraft audiobooks will work. Shadow over innsmouth is a great piece of horror fiction but you'll be bored two chapters in.

32 weeks ago

I’m a serial 3am waker and would love some inspiration to help me get back to sleep. "

You should try Lullaby milk OP. You can get it in some of the supermarkets around the country. It naturally has extra melatonin in it!! Hopefully it might help.

32 weeks ago

Sign up for a new streaming service, download and print the terms and conditions.

I'd be surprised if you make it to the end without falling asleep.

By *eanR2023Man
32 weeks ago

Dublin

Have you gone to a psychotherapist or hy…therapist (won’t allow me use the full term) , they have good results with insomnia issues ?

By *astelloWoman
32 weeks ago

Tír na nÓg

Agreed with above. As a chronic insomniac, I had to go full spectrum.. Melatonin, lavender, no screens, mindfulness meditation and psychotherapy. The combo worked in the end.... Plus l gave up somw types of alcohol as it triggered insomnia

By *ickheadcuntCouple
32 weeks ago

Cork Ireland

Anyone else think this was a post about the club in Berlin?

By *orYourThighsOnlyMan
32 weeks ago

Midlands

"Melatonin is a hormone that your brain produces in response to darkness. Alot of people who suffer with insomnia lack this. There is great supplements out there. Give it a look x"

Excellent. I haven’t used it but do hear exceptional results from it. Il get around to trying it soon.

I take 2 grams of magnesium threonate 1 hour before bedtime. Enduces gaba.

Black out curtains.

Clean n tidy room. Bed made.

Air purifier with temp controller- kicks in to keep room at same temperature- great for winter.

A grateful log - what you done today to help someone, what someone done for you. How could you have improved your day.

Say your prayers. The boredom will get ya ha.

When in doubt - fuck fuck fuck.

The end…

That will be 49.99 where shslll I send the invoice lol

By *ffairofthemindMan
32 weeks ago

DC

Had a significant period of crippling anxiety that led to insomnia. Learned coping mechanisms that helped with the anxiety / depression but the insomnia remained. Habitual at that stage, the thing that worked for me then and continues to worl now is counting backwards from 100 in my head. Takes a fair bit of focus and takes the thoughts away from anything else, et voila zzzzzzzzzz ensued

By *razySexyCoolCorkWoman
32 weeks ago

Cork

Excellent. I haven’t used it but do hear exceptional results from it. Il get around to trying it soon.

Black out curtains.

Air purifier with temp controller- kicks in to keep room at same temperature- great for winter.

A grateful log - what you done today to help someone, what someone done for you. How could you have improved your day.

The end…

"

I've often said a few prayers to put me to sleep. I'd be out like a light lol

By *adger BrocMan
32 weeks ago

Co. Cork

Black out curtains.

The end…

I've often said a few prayers to put me to sleep. I'd be out like a light lol"

I will pray to my angel next time I'm wide eyed in the middle of the night.

By *orYourThighsOnlyMan
32 weeks ago

Midlands

Black out curtains.

The end…

I've often said a few prayers to put me to sleep. I'd be out like a light lol"

Ahaha. Try going to mass - smoke appears when I walk in. All the fab boldness coming to surface

32 weeks ago

Good Night all x Lou

By *erry cMan
32 weeks ago

Longford westmeath

"Good Night all x Lou "
good night

By *onyFerJane2020Couple
32 weeks ago

Fermanagh, Ireland

Have you seen about getting a sleep study done? If your been left exhausted and feeling tired you could have Sleep Apnea, not getting deep sleep will leave you feeling insomniac most of the time.

By *orYourThighsOnlyMan
32 weeks ago

Midlands

"Have you seen about getting a sleep study done? If your been left exhausted and feeling tired you could have Sleep Apnea, not getting deep sleep will leave you feeling insomniac most of the time."

Excellent advice if the above selection has not eliminated the sleep disturbances. Cpap and Mandibular advice (special mouth guard).

By *ir SnakebitesMan
32 weeks ago

Newry

I find my self nocturnal, not managing sleep till 7am sometimes, it can be mentally draing sometimes

By *ir SnakebitesMan
32 weeks ago

Newry

"Oh no can’t do white noise - freaks me out. Think the film ruined it for me - makes my mind wander into voices lol lol lol"

I find rain on a window or roof noise works

By *ortfadda_ladMan
32 weeks ago

carrick on shannon

Ocean sounds can be relaxing & help u sleep

By *adger BrocMan
32 weeks ago

Co. Cork

Black out curtains.

The end…

I've often said a few prayers to put me to sleep. I'd be out like a light lol

I will pray to my angel next time I'm wide eyed in the middle of the night.

"

Like right now.

By *oo32Man
32 weeks ago

tipperary

Temperature

Avoid tea coffee sugary drinks,eating too much

Maybe some mindfulness before putting the head down

Spotify has plenty of sleep/relaxing music

Avoid(if ya can) going on your phone when ya wake up

32 weeks ago

Another sleepless night

By *eanR2023Man
32 weeks ago

Dublin

"Another sleepless night"

Oh no

By *leasurer77Man
32 weeks ago

Athlone

"Another sleepless night"

Are you having Sex in the City?? Sorry, that's really bad.

By *rt91Man
32 weeks ago

cork

I’m new here ! Live in Killarney want to find new friends and more

32 weeks ago

"Another sleepless night

Are you having Sex in the City?? Sorry, that's really bad."

I wish ha ha ha - no just in an unending sleepless loop. I got a good enough sleep Thursday night then lay down for a couple of extra hours this morning with my boyf and dozed. It shouldn’t have been enough to stop me sleeping altogether tonight but somehow it has.

By *cooby CoolMan
32 weeks ago

navan

Tv cos anything on it these days would bore you to sleep

Post new Message to Thread