FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

wasteful uses of space in Dublin (and beyond)

Jump to newest

By *southguy OP   Man
34 weeks ago

D18

Sorry if I'm way off topic, it's just on my mind after visiting carrickmines.

Do places like Liffey Valley and Carrickmines shopping centre seem like terrible uses of space to anyone else?

Especially when we're struggling to shove houses and apartments into whatever else is left.

I'm not against cars but 90%(a very rough guess) of the space both these places take up is a single level of parking.

The shops themselves are hugely spread out too.

I'm able bodied so walking from one end to the other is fine.

If I was old or disabled though, at Carrickmines in particular, I'd be considering going back to my car and driving it to the other end.

It's a 200m walk to from the Currys to the Harvey Normans cutting across the carpark.

Someone in a wheelchair have to take the path, about 300m.

Carrickmines to its credit does have a huge underground parking area... that sits half empty while people queue for spaces above

I'm sure there are plenty other similar places dotted round the country.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *og-ManMan
34 weeks ago

somewhere

Places like carrickmines have to exist as people need to shop

The area is full of housing and apartments and the luas / M50 right beside it so its ideal

Next phase is a large Tesco and lots of Apartments I believe so I don't think its a waste of space

Cherrywood is the next Junction with over 2000 apartments

If shopping centres fail its because people don't want to use them and they close down eventually

There's a big one on the way into Waterford that's still unopened

One thing I do think are a waste of space are Ghost estates

Something should have been done with them

By *ublustMan
34 weeks ago

Dublin

Liffey Valley has still got a significant amount of undeveloped land on the site, never mind the parking. First step would be to develop that but I also think that the introduction of parking charges is to figure out what the real demand for parking is and free up some of the carpark space for retail and/or residential.

Post new Message to Thread