Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Flights times

Jump to newest

By *ornywife20 OP   Couple
48 weeks ago

North Cork

What's the story with flight times . They very rarely take off on time and yet seem to land on time . We were flying from dublin a couple of weeks ago and couldn't take off because we were told we would land too early at our destination.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
48 weeks ago

Seems to be happening to plenty of people ..3 hours sitting on a plane before take off few weeks back ..were told some BS reason too

By *ealmc1973Man
48 weeks ago

Limerick, Clare, Tipperary

I bet that was ruinair in both cases?

By *ealitybitesMan
48 weeks ago

Belfast

I was on a flight a month ago and it was advertised as a 2 hour 15 mins flight but the pilot announced it as 1 hour 45.

Exactly the same on the return trip.

It's all about windows and slots at each airport.

By *og-ManMan
48 weeks ago

somewhere

The flight times are only a guide so that the airlines can say that they arrived on time when they take off late in the first place

A plane can only take off if there's room for it at the destination airport in the first place

48 weeks ago

"I bet that was ruinair in both cases?"

Yes apparently an engineer had to sign off on something before the flight could take off ..the only qualified person was over 2 hours drive away ..you couldn't make it up

48 weeks ago

North Cork

No our flight was aerlingus and although we took off 20 minutes late we landed 5 minutes early.

By *ursecretmischiefCouple
48 weeks ago

The West

Most airlines will say 90mins for a 60min flight. Most likely to do with airpirt slots. It also helps to cook the books, as they're never late or not much over the arrival time given!

By * la carteCouple
48 weeks ago

Dublin

The pilot announces the actual flying time, from take off to touch down.

The additional time advertised includes taxiing to and from the runway.

Take off and landing slots have to be taken into account, air traffic control has an impact as well as wind/weather/season conditions and aircraft loading.

It's got nothing to do with cooking the books or deception.

As someone who previously worked in the industry, there's careful planning involved in all aspects and anything out of the ordinary can have a huge impact on everything else.

By *ilverfox74Man
48 weeks ago

dublin offaly

The wind was at yer back maybe lol

By *inkywife1981Couple
48 weeks ago

A town near you

Last flight I took was 25 min shorter on the return leg ?

48 weeks ago

It's quite simple, if they burn more fuel they can go faster and make up time , the higher they go the quicker they go too.

By * la carteCouple
48 weeks ago

Dublin

"Last flight I took was 25 min shorter on the return leg ?

"

Tail wind

By *inkywife1981Couple
47 weeks ago

A town near you

"Last flight I took was 25 min shorter on the return leg ?

Tail wind "

I thought we were in the twilight zone

By *orYourThighsOnlyMan
47 weeks ago

Midlands

Often on a 12 hour flight and it arrived in 10 hours.

But also been on many a 1 hour flight and it was late by 30 mins plus.

47 weeks ago

Let me just say, time flies when you're having fun....wanna see time fly? Throw a clock...or a watch if you don't have a clock.

I've a Uni course I'm studying and I'm passing with flying colours.

I'll stop now.....when pigs fly

Calm down, don't fly off the handle

Ever fly by the seat of your pants?

I have to fly now....

By *ranfrascoMan
47 weeks ago

Dublin

Yeah, always with the same shit with Ruinair. Even for going to London, 3h sitting there and changing departure gates all the time.

Otherwise, I've been told that this doesn't happen with Aer Longus...

By *oghunter33Woman
47 weeks ago

on the hill NordWest of

"Yeah, always with the same shit with Ruinair. Even for going to London, 3h sitting there and changing departure gates all the time.

Otherwise, I've been told that this doesn't happen with Aer Longus..."

Why don't you book aerlingus then?

From my experience pricewise it often works out the same as you pay for every shitty bit extra with Ryanair. Additionally you get the better traveling times, you leave from terminal 2, you've more leg space in the plane and nobody tries to sell you raffle tickets during the flight.

47 weeks ago

North Cork

To be fair to Ryanair before they Started Aerlingus were charging a months wages back in the 80s to fly to the UK. Ryanair made air travel affordable for the normal person not just the rich. Aerlingus know to charge for extras too but there is more leg room and more comfortable seats .

By *iscuits8Man
47 weeks ago

Meath / Dublin / Birmingham

Happy to admit if I am way off on this and someone can correct me. I'd fly frequently enough, few times a year anyway.

The constant Ryanair delays, it seems to be a post-covid thing is it? Feels to me it's been a recent enough thing, past 3 years or so. I've probably taken 20-30 flights in that time and not one has left on time.

By *ealmc1973Man
47 weeks ago

"I bet that was ruinair in both cases?

Yes apparently an engineer had to sign off on something before the flight could take off ..the only qualified person was over 2 hours drive away ..you couldn't make it up "

That is their favourite trick - there are obligations for the airline, if they have delays, so what they do is to blame it on someone else, so it is not 'the airline' fault. Sure the engineer didn't know, that there's flight scheduled for that day, so he never bothered to turn up

By *ealmc1973Man
47 weeks ago

"To be fair to Ryanair before they Started Aerlingus were charging a months wages back in the 80s to fly to the UK. Ryanair made air travel affordable for the normal person not just the rich. Aerlingus know to charge for extras too but there is more leg room and more comfortable seats ."

...and you are not treated like piece of dirt on Mr.taxidriver shoes. Truth is, that ruinair drove prices for airfares down, from the other hand, they were pioneers in charging extra for everything - bags, normal boarding, seat on the plane, to name a few. They got away with it, so other companies went with the flow.

back in the olden days of flying, hot lunch and drinks were on the house, no charge for bags, seats, or organized boarding Price of the ticket was not 20 yoyos, though

By *og-ManMan
47 weeks ago

somewhere

"To be fair to Ryanair before they Started Aerlingus were charging a months wages back in the 80s to fly to the UK. Ryanair made air travel affordable for the normal person not just the rich. Aerlingus know to charge for extras too but there is more leg room and more comfortable seats .

...and you are not treated like piece of dirt on Mr.taxidriver shoes. Truth is, that ruinair drove prices for airfares down, from the other hand, they were pioneers in charging extra for everything - bags, normal boarding, seat on the plane, to name a few. They got away with it, so other companies went with the flow.

back in the olden days of flying, hot lunch and drinks were on the house, no charge for bags, seats, or organized boarding Price of the ticket was not 20 yoyos, though "

You do realise that you paid for all those things as part of your ticket price anyway

I remember my first visit to london back in 84

You had to stay on a saturday night to get the cheapest flight with Aer Lingus or it was a weeks wages

Ryanair discovered that people have a fear of missing out so they charge extra to make sure you feel as if you dont have to

Sit at a window ....pay

Dont pay extra and you're still on the same plane

Sit near the front to get off earlier...pay

Don't pay extra and you're still on the same plane

Priority boarding ....pay ....you know the rest

Bottom line when booking flights is the total price and do you have to pay for extras that you don't need on a flight especially short haul

By *oghunter33Woman
47 weeks ago

on the hill NordWest of

There's no doubt Ryanair has completely changed the commercial air travel service and made it more affordable.

Yet people constantly complain. It's a cheap service, you get what you pay for. Simples.

If you want bit more service it'll cost you few quid more. I've done my bit of Ryanair travelling and the inconvenience that comes with it isn't worth the money you're saving imo.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
47 weeks ago

Lucan

The fact that more people fly out of this country with Ryanair than anyone else speaks volumes.

There is choice.

If you don't like their attitude then go with someone else. Personally speaking, price for an hour or less of a flight means more to me than attitude.

By *oo32Man
47 weeks ago

tipperary

Flight about a month ago with ryanair was 40 something return..

With just carry on

The nearest after that was 120 something..

And rising again after that

With ryanair everything is an extra,like everything that runs on a timetable in ireland...expect delays

Sometimes it's human error other times it's not

No point in stressing or roaring and bawling at staff

By *j47Man
47 weeks ago

limerick

"Yeah, always with the same shit with Ruinair. Even for going to London, 3h sitting there and changing departure gates all the time.

From my experience pricewise it often works out the same as you pay for every shitty bit extra with Ryanair. Additionally you get the better traveling times, you leave from terminal 2, you've more leg space in the plane and nobody tries to sell you raffle tickets during the flight. "

Raffle ticks any one for the last of the raffle tickets

By *og-ManMan
47 weeks ago

somewhere

Sometimes Aer lingus and Ryanair are the same price anyway and it just comes down to flight times..like the canaries

Has anyone else ever booked Aer Lingus....gone through T2 and still have to walk to T1 to get on the plane

By *ranfrascoMan
43 weeks ago

Dublin

From my experience pricewise it often works out the same as you pay for every shitty bit extra with Ryanair. Additionally you get the better traveling times, you leave from terminal 2, you've more leg space in the plane and nobody tries to sell you raffle tickets during the flight. "

You're right. No I always check Ruin and aer at the same time. Glad to see it's cheaper sometimes

Post new Message to Thread