Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Budget 2023

Jump to newest

By *otownkid1967 OP   Man
38 weeks ago

Portlaoise

So what's your views on todays Budget? Are you any better off or worse off??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
38 weeks ago

Same shit different day..what they give with 1 hand they take away with the other

By *ilthyNightsCouple
38 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

We get DCA and Laura is a carer, so between that and the child allowance Christmas double payment we will be well up!

By *eth TVTV/TS
38 weeks ago

Mid Meath

"Same shit different day..what they give with 1 hand they take away with the other "

Tell us you didn’t look at the Budget without telling us you looked at the Budget.

By *ildarekinkstersCouple
38 weeks ago

kinkytown

Nothing too major apart from the kids payments and secondary school books. Worried about the incoming vape tax

38 weeks ago

"Nothing too major apart from the kids payments and secondary school books. Worried about the incoming vape tax "

Jesus that’s scandalous.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
38 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"Nothing too major apart from the kids payments and secondary school books. Worried about the incoming vape tax "

I'm glad I'm off the smokes. 75cents per packet eeek

38 weeks ago

Vape tax is next year

By *og-ManMan
38 weeks ago

somewhere

Without looking at it in too much detail, I'd be a grand better off after tax

Then the extra ESB credit and child allowance for my youngest its another grand

I don't smoke so no problem but think they should ban single disposal vaping or tax them out of existence

No increase in diesel.....fine

38 weeks ago

kinkytown

"Nothing too major apart from the kids payments and secondary school books. Worried about the incoming vape tax

I'm glad I'm off the smokes. 75cents per packet eeek"

I'll be thinking twice if I get tempted to pick up a sneaky pack from now on

By *ubberNumbersCouple
38 weeks ago

dublin

"Without looking at it in too much detail, I'd be a grand better off after tax

I don't smoke so no problem but think they should ban single disposal vaping or tax them out of existence

"

No increase on diesel in budget terms, but the carbon tax will add 3c per litre.

By *otownkid1967 OP   Man
38 weeks ago

Portlaoise

No increase on diesel in budget terms, but the carbon tax will add 3c per litre.

The increase has only been deferred.

"

By *aid backMan
38 weeks ago

by a lake with my rod out

"Nothing too major apart from the kids payments and secondary school books. Worried about the incoming vape tax

Vape tax is next year "

If they are still in government

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan
38 weeks ago

Tipperary

Vape tax is next year

If they are still in government "

no matter who’s in government it’s always the same.

By *antas_number_one_elfWoman
38 weeks ago

dublin

Meh, I work full time so aside from tax credits being higher not really. Double social welfare payments absolutely sickens me to be honest, especially considering it seems to be long term unemployed eligible. If any one of us lost our jobs between now and Christmas, we wouldn’t. I thought jobseekers was supposed to be a temporary thing anyway?

By *electableicecreamMan
38 weeks ago

The West

I'm delighted to see the increases social welfare benefits in the run up to Christmas. A lot of people are going to really appreciate that.

38 weeks ago

kinkytown

Vape tax is next year "

As I said incoming

By *asual777Man
38 weeks ago

i travel all over

It’s ok for the squeezed middle especially with the USC reduction . Won’t change how I ll vote

By *ind PaddyMan
38 weeks ago

South County Dublin

"Meh, I work full time so aside from tax credits being higher not really. Double social welfare payments absolutely sickens me to be honest, especially considering it seems to be long term unemployed eligible. If any one of us lost our jobs between now and Christmas, we wouldn’t. I thought jobseekers was supposed to be a temporary thing anyway? "

There will always be long term unemployed. Some of those unemployed have no get up and go. Various governments have had different schemes to help but it never works.

I'll benefit from the increase in tax credits but will pay it back with higher utility bills.

Tax credits to landlords is the best one really. There are bicycle lanes been built all around Dublin and there is no rail network to the Airport.

There is still the national debt to be served

By *hilaboutMan
38 weeks ago

kilkenny

"

3cent on at midnight n two increases deferred till april n October

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple
38 weeks ago

Kinda Dublin

With all this budget talk, last night I logged onto my Revenue account and claimed back rent tax for the past 2 years. A nice handy €1000

By *r_Insatiable666Man
38 weeks ago

Cork

I don't know why we need Fab when our government does such a good job of fucking us

I haven't given the budget a good look because I don't have a whole lot to gain or lose. However, Corp tax being reduced is such a questionable act.

We have the second lowest Corp tax in the EU I believe and while it's great in terms of keeping companies here, it also saves them a fortune and costs the regular tax payer a whole lot more.

38 weeks ago

3cent on at midnight n two increases deferred till april n October "

Yep that carbon tax is a green party brainwave just another way of ripping people off..sooner we vote them out the better

By *ichael CoolMan
38 weeks ago

unknown

That government loves riding people but they never even heard of lube.

By *oo32Man
38 weeks ago

tipperary

Prob a little better off,increased diesel and petrol prices in the last few months,so it's easy for em to defer an increase

Coal and timber hasn never been as expensive,it's tripled in the last 6 years,300 quid wouldn't get ya a few bags of coal

Double bubble for unemployed at Christmas,and people are giving out,it's what 200 euros extra,they've toys and food to buy,

No matter who takes over it'll be the same,

Over spending...by millions...on most government projects

Too many committees and tribunals,cases,questioning that go nowhere

Underfunding for hse..mental health..special needs,schools,housing,

So vote in your local td,he/she might be crooked but it's better the devil you know

Then some gobshite 100's of miles away

38 weeks ago

"Prob a little better off,increased diesel and petrol prices in the last few months,so it's easy for em to defer an increase

Coal and timber hasn never been as expensive,it's tripled in the last 6 years,300 quid wouldn't get ya a few bags of coal

Double bubble for unemployed at Christmas,and people are giving out,it's what 200 euros extra,they've toys and food to buy,

So vote in your local td,he/she might be crooked but it's better the devil you know

"

Coal has come down in price in the last few weeks not as cheap as it was pre covid /inflation though..

Anyone else notice vrt rates have increased since September but there wasnt a word said about it ??

By *ohn4fun1000Man
38 weeks ago

The Midlands

"I don't know why we need Fab when our government does such a good job of fucking us

I haven't given the budget a good look because I don't have a whole lot to gain or lose. However, Corp tax being reduced is such a questionable act.

We have the second lowest Corp tax in the EU I believe and while it's great in terms of keeping companies here, it also saves them a fortune and costs the regular tax payer a whole lot more.

"

where in the budget has corporation tax been reduced

By *ilthyNightsCouple
38 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"I don't know why we need Fab when our government does such a good job of fucking us

"

I'm not sure having low corporation tax costs the tax payer lots at all. In fact the massive corporation tax take is what's funding most of the extra spending that's in the budget. Without it we would be in a way worse state. We badly need these corporations here providing all these highly paid jobs which in turn lead to income taxes and other spending and investments here. Raising the corporation tax would have all these businesses looking at moving away from Ireland.

By *oo32Man
38 weeks ago

tipperary

"Prob a little better off,increased diesel and petrol prices in the last few months,so it's easy for em to defer an increase

Coal has come down in price in the last few weeks not as cheap as it was pre covid /inflation though..

Anyone else notice vrt rates have increased since September but there wasnt a word said about it ??"

It'll never go back to what it was,diesel and petrol are the same..we're heading for two quid a litre,

The vrt def went up,

But the ministers have no say in it, they'll put that down to cars just getting more expensive,

They of course didn't touch vrt in the budget

38 weeks ago

The price of oil is falling at the moment it’s just that they won’t relay the prices to consumers

And they get away with it every time the cartel rise the price before a budget the government add (deferred this time till the carbon tax replaces it) oil is cheaper now so why is it still so high at the pump it will fall but as usual not fast enough

Carbon tax me hole 0.5 reduction on usc me hole

By *ifestyleMan
38 weeks ago

Strabane & Dublin

Jesus you don’t know your living down here you want to be in the North there’s money for feck all and it’s cuts on cuts

38 weeks ago

"Jesus you don’t know your living down here you want to be in the North there’s money for feck all and it’s cuts on cuts"

Well you can blame Boris & Nigel for that and it should have read carbon tax me hall & 0.5 percent reduction in the usc me hall

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple
38 weeks ago

Kinda Dublin

"

Ireland was a shithole before the Celtic Tiger. Low corporation tax is what brought it it from one of the poorest countries in Europe, to one of the wealthiest.

You are right though. Low Corp tax is causing us to pay more tax. Because without it, half of us would be unemployed or on shit wages, and not paying a cent in tax.

By *r_Insatiable666Man
38 weeks ago

Cork

Ireland was a shithole before the Celtic Tiger. Low corporation tax is what brought it it from one of the poorest countries in Europe, to one of the wealthiest.

You are right though. Low Corp tax is causing us to pay more tax. Because without it, half of us would be unemployed or on shit wages, and not paying a cent in tax."

Oh no, i agree that originally it was easily the best decision made for its time but now I'm not sure about it from a moral point of view. Globalism has given these companies so much power to play loose with rules. They are basically using their workforce as a gambling chip and while it's beneficial to keep them on side, too much power and they will do more damage.

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple
38 weeks ago

Kinda Dublin

You are right though. Low Corp tax is causing us to pay more tax. Because without it, half of us would be unemployed or on shit wages, and not paying a cent in tax.

Oh no, i agree that originally it was easily the best decision made for its time but now I'm not sure about it from a moral point of view. Globalism has given these companies so much power to play loose with rules. They are basically using their workforce as a gambling chip and while it's beneficial to keep them on side, too much power and they will do more damage. "

Ah yeah, I get what you mean.

Ireland now has one of the best educated work forces in the world. In certain ways, these companies need us just as much as we need them.

In order to move country, they would need to need to train the entire workforce from scratch, which is costly, timely, it will slowdown production/development and is a huge risk.

Post new Message to Thread