Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Help a fatty out

Jump to newest

By *alted! OP   Man
40 weeks ago

Cork

So recently I saw picture of myself and went oh shit "Salted" that is one fat belly you are rocking.

To be honest I kind of knew anyway that,that covid "pound" (more like 7/8kg or more) had kept on Pilling on, long after covid could be blamed and wasn't going to be shifted on its own.

During the week over the course of about an hour and a half I demolished a large pack of shortbread biscuits. I then walk past a mirror only to see the belly hanging out. And again went fuck, look at that fat cunt. Before realising that I had left one short bread in the packet on its own, and there was no point leaving one on it own. so I returned to press to snaffle that down too.

So looking for some advise to help me beat the bulge.

What works well for other fabbers? Not looking for the obvious answers like "eat less , move more"

I've heacktic enough life during the day and by the time I sit down in the evening it's probably gone 8 and I could not be arsed doing anything.

Previously I left my youthful metabolism sort this kind of thing out. But looks like I now need to change tack

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *NawtyCplCouple
40 weeks ago

Around and about

Aw I empathise. Pass 40 and everything gets harder (pardon the pun) including keeping weight off. Unfortunately there is no amount of working out, steps or even busy work day that can counteract overeating and thats what it comes down to. Calories in any form going in v's being used up. You need one column to be at least 500 calories less than the other everyday to loose weight. My biggest tip is to track every bite and sip for a month. It will highlight areas you can make easy changes. My other big tip is to commit to prepping. Long days lead to bad food choices cause your knackered. Prep means your more likely to still make good choices.

Best of luck xx

By (user no longer on site)
40 weeks ago

OP your not fat

40 weeks ago

Agree with the prepping.

Also find something to replace the evening snacking...something to keep your mind and hands busy. Break bad habits with new habits. I'm not a huge fan of replacing unhealthy snacks with healthy ones because when initial enthusiasm wanes or you don't have healthy stuff in, the habit to eat is still there (if that makes sense?). I found that 3 really good nutritious meals was the best way to beat mindless snacking

By *olverineMan
40 weeks ago

ennis

I feel your pain, lost nearly 2 stone on my own, it's hard but you got to give it time, listening to a lot of podcasts about fitness ,thay all say you can't out run a bad diet, I have about 2 more stone to lose,joined a new gym for 12 weeks program to kick me on a bit more...the people above me here have given you sound advice ..up to you op but best of luck with it...

By *r_Insatiable666Man
40 weeks ago

Cork

Oh boy, I have put on 14kgs since I last was proper gyming.

I am hoping to go back this winter and lose 20kg

By *alted! OP   Man
40 weeks ago

Cork

I also forgot to mention I have full access to gym that u managed to go to 5 times this year.

But I think the key is in the diet as others have mentioned. The problem there is I cant stay the course with prepping. I will do it for a week or two and that's it.

Did I mention I'm very lazy? This could also be a motivation problem.

40 weeks ago

Thank you for the pm .. Still your far from over weight

By *erry cMan
40 weeks ago

Longford westmeath

"Thank you for the pm .. Still your far from over weight "
u look fab tonight in the black number

By *azzandbobzeventsCouple
40 weeks ago

Cork

"So recently I saw picture of myself and went oh shit "Salted" that is one fat belly you are rocking.

To be honest I kind of knew anyway that,that covid "pound" (more like 7/8kg or more) had kept on Pilling on, long after covid could be blamed and wasn't going to be shifted on its own.

During the week over the course of about an hour and a half I demolished a large pack of shortbread biscuits. I then walk past a mirror only to see the belly hanging out. And again went fuck, look at that fat cunt. Before realising that I had left one short bread in the packet on its own, and there was no point leaving one on it own. so I returned to press to snaffle that down too.

So looking for some advise to help me beat the bulge.

What works well for other fabbers? Not looking for the obvious answers like "eat less , move more"

I've heacktic enough life during the day and by the time I sit down in the evening it's probably gone 8 and I could not be arsed doing anything.

Previously I left my youthful metabolism sort this kind of thing out. But looks like I now need to change tack

"

I absolutely love a shortbread biscuits with tea is so so nice.

Yes I have polished off a packet all on my own on occasions.

Prepping is the way to go batch cook some of your favourite dishes.

Swap the biscuits for healthier options.

Have one day of the week though where you can enjoy your treats. No need to totally deny yourself.

These things do take time. Won’t be done over night it is possible though.

Cutting out alcohol does make a huge difference.

It’s the pints/wine etc that cause a massive calorie fest.

By *alted! OP   Man
40 weeks ago

Cork

I don't drink alcohol....Well I do but its so infrequent these days I might aswell say I don't.

By *azzandbobzeventsCouple
40 weeks ago

Cork

"I also forgot to mention I have full access to gym that u managed to go to 5 times this year.

But I think the key is in the diet as others have mentioned. The problem there is I cant stay the course with prepping. I will do it for a week or two and that's it.

Did I mention I'm very lazy? This could also be a motivation problem. "

I totally get where you are coming from with the prepping.

It’s tough trying to find time.

There are companies out there now who will prep the food and deliver it to your door.

Not used them myself.

Something that may suit you ?

By *alted! OP   Man
40 weeks ago

Cork

Na, couldn't be paying anyone to do something I could do myself.

Ohh great look at that, I'm fat lazy and cheep.

Every woman's dream man. Lol

40 weeks ago

Get up early have you’re breakfast containing of protein eggs scrambled

Afternoon fruit any or a combination is good

Evening any meat or fish with potatoes boiled or from the oven no oil

Don’t eat any rubbish after you’re last meal if you feel hungry use sugar free jelly it makes the mind think the belly is full

You will see a difference and exercise of course

By *riendly_fun_guyMan
40 weeks ago

Dublin

Some people enjoy going to the gym others don’t.

Food - again some people love meal prep and the structure others don’t. You’ve got to work out what works for you!

I’ve been someone who was always involved in team/club sport - having someone you’re letting down if you don’t go is a massive thing it’s easy to say no to your self - if you’re letting someone else down sub concisely you will make the effort - this doesn’t apply to everyone but there are team sport options available at every age and every level - my advice work hard at finding one for yourself and they’ll help you work hard on showing up!

By *ityoung22Man
39 weeks ago

Cork

A calorie deficit for sure. You can look up calculators online to find out how much calories you need each day to stay the same weight and you can just eat a couple hundred calories less than that.

Any “zero” sugar drinks are good, they can give you a caffeine boost and have way less calories compared to diet or regular fizzy drinks.

Black coffee with sugar can help you fee full until dinner if you are really struggling just takes getting used to.

Any exercise you can get in the gym is good i’d strive for going maybe three times a week if you have time.

Good luck with your journey

By *astelloWoman
39 weeks ago

Tír na nÓg

Get a gym buddy... tbh I'm lazy af..but once I went with someone made a difference. They motivated me on off days and likewise.

By *chochamberWoman
39 weeks ago

Limerick

Cut out snacking midweek.

Have x 2 no eat days (5:2). Body needs to go into ketosis. Fasting is good for us.

By *electableicecreamMan
39 weeks ago

The West

Friction is the enemy to beat. Change is hard on the comfortable mind.

Breaking down the barriers between you and your goal is a good place to start and I've found that being gentle with myself is what works best.

I take the smallest possible steps so I don't get bored , overwhelmed or run out of steam.

Habit forming and breaking is a transferable skill so sometimes a bit of wax on wax off can help.

My favourite trick on myself is to start with taking a cheap vitamin tablet every day. It's not about the vitamins at all it's just the simplest, cheapest way I could find to train a new habit and give myself a win.

Small increments, easy wins.

You've already taken a huge step by reaching out in a vunerable moment. That takes great strength and you can be proud.

By *osyRedLipsWoman
39 weeks ago

Kildare

I know during lockdown there was a fitness chat group on the chat app that can't be named. They had fun weekly challenges it was great motivation. Not sure is it still running but if not maybe someone can set one up

By *loria_cdxTV/TS
39 weeks ago

west

Hi OP, I few yrs back I had the same issue, tryed this and that nothing was working. I was discussing my difficulty with a straight talking buddy one night over a few drinks( he was very athletic) and what he said that night changed the way I looked at it-

“ eat less move more” sounds harsh a little, but it hit me and that was it.. so I’m paying it forward to you OP hope it helps!

By *aucyladMan
39 weeks ago

Dublin

Been in a similar boat, key is making good decisions. So the small decisions all add up. So for example don't buy biscuits so then they won't be in the house. Consider giving up white bread and cut back on alcohol if you do happen to drink. Park the car 2 minutes away from where you normally park for work, then walk those steps every day. Make decisions such as walking to shop instead of driving. Eating better and preparing foods so that when you do get home at 8pm your not inclined to grab the takeaway. If you can exercise more then do,but again set yourself small but realistic goals, it's a lifestyle decision that your making here that will carry you forward in life.

Also cut yourself some slack too, don't expect instant results,you will have good and bad weeks. But make the decisions daily and live by them. For example I will have a lovely dirty fry up this morning cos it's a Sunday. But Monday to Friday I'll be good and eat and make my own prepared foods, nothing crazy but for example at lunch I'd eat a salad instead of a sandwich and crisps,or I'd have a soup made from vegetables. Small changes all add up. Give yourself 6 months and aim to drop a pound or two every 2 weeks and ease your way into it. You got this.

By *etergemmaCouple
39 weeks ago

South Dublin Area

Forget about exercise its pretty much nonsense

I stopped eating lunch recently. Just a small snack in afternoon with a tea. I have lost 17 pounds since September 5th.

Its made a massive difference

By *eijaWoman
39 weeks ago

City Centre

'You are what you eat' always remember that.

A balanced diet and portion control is so important.

Best of luck OP

B x

By *nquisitive ladyWoman
39 weeks ago

meath

I am one now who struggles to maintain my weight. One thing that has been said to me by PT and other gym members is that you can not out exercise a bad diet. This for me certainly rings true. I try my hardest to maintain a healthy balanced way of eating and avoid all fad quick results diets. I like the slimming world plan as it has a great variety of good quality healthy foods. I too also love nothing more than Pancakes bickies and chocolate so I'm not a total freak to doing everything right all of the time. All about balance and moving more. Best of luck x

39 weeks ago

Eat less and move more, it’s literally that simple. And stop drinking if you do drink.

By *electableicecreamMan
39 weeks ago

The West

It's really not as simple as eat less and move more though. Those are the things you do when you've gotten yourself to a place when you mentally and emotionally ready to do that.

For many people who struggle with self esteem, motivation, mental health problems, there's a lot that can be done before diet and exercise are even considered.

By *eeking_sensuality77Woman
39 weeks ago

Athlone

"It's really not as simple as eat less and move more though. Those are the things you do when you've gotten yourself to a place when you mentally and emotionally ready to do that.

For many people who struggle with self esteem, motivation, mental health problems, there's a lot that can be done before diet and exercise are even considered."

Fact!

It helps to see replies like this and know that at least some people have some level of understanding and empathy.

Thank you

By *erry cMan
39 weeks ago

Longford westmeath

"It's really not as simple as eat less and move more though. Those are the things you do when you've gotten yourself to a place when you mentally and emotionally ready to do that.

For many people who struggle with self esteem, motivation, mental health problems, there's a lot that can be done before diet and exercise are even considered.

Fact!

It helps to see replies like this and know that at least some people have some level of understanding and empathy.

Thank you "

fair play lovely woman

By *electableicecreamMan
39 weeks ago

The West

Fact!

Thank you "

Your quite welcome

By *etergemmaCouple
39 weeks ago

South Dublin Area

For many people who struggle with self esteem, motivation, mental health problems, there's a lot that can be done before diet and exercise are even considered."

Its easy to blame mental health on being a fatty and it's certainly been the case for me in the past but losing a few pounds easily by sticking to the motto eat less move more as mentioned above can have serious positive impact on your mental health.

By *electableicecreamMan
39 weeks ago

The West

Its easy to blame mental health on being a fatty and it's certainly been the case for me in the past but losing a few pounds easily by sticking to the motto eat less move more as mentioned above can have serious positive impact on your mental health.

"

You may be right Peter. Everyone will approach the challenge in their own way.

Often the hardest part of the struggle is finding out what works for oneself individually.

I would have my doubts about calling anyone a fatty though. To me that feels like a lack of understanding and empathy if your talking about other people. Maybe you just meant yourself?

People don't blame mental health, they suffer from it.

By *anifestoMan
39 weeks ago

dublin

Bread is the work of the devil.

I used to eat toast for breakfast, then the baguette for dinner and garlic bread at night with that ever was going.

Stopped eating bread and started running when I could and lost over 20kg over 20 months.

Was also a whore for jelly sweets and crisps these went as well but I am convinced the bread was killing me.

Post new Message to Thread