Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Eco tips

Jump to newest

By *astello OP   Woman
40 weeks ago

Tír na nÓg

Trying my best to save the planet one tip at a time.

Small change Ive made

Buying less groceries

Lights on timers

Standby is now off on appliances

No more cotton pads.. Flannel for make up remover

Any simple tips to share.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *om TangoMan
40 weeks ago

aughnacloy monaghan area

Vegans stop flying ur salads and fruits from half way across the world. Eat local

By (user no longer on site)
40 weeks ago

Such trivial nonsense to think anything we in Ireland can do to save the planet when you have giants like and china and usa doing whatever they want ..nothing little Ireland could ever do would reverse climate change unless the big boys decide to make a change themselves

By *astello OP   Woman
40 weeks ago

Tír na nÓg

As Tesco says.. Every little helps

Even if its a nonsense in your mind. Not everyone has such a trivial approach.

By *eart-shaped-foxMan
40 weeks ago

Limerick, Clare, Tipp

Whatever about the global impact it makes a difference in my house, less packaging waste, very often better quality food. There is a great grocery market in annacotty in Limerick. Its a little more expensive than the supermarkets but locally grown and lasts for ages. Lidl veg lasts for all of two days

By *panishRebelMan
40 weeks ago

Alicante Spain, and Cork City Ireland

"Such trivial nonsense to think anything we in Ireland can do to save the planet when you have giants like and china and usa doing whatever they want ..nothing little Ireland could ever do would reverse climate change unless the big boys decide to make a change themselves "

Did you ever hear the story of the man on a beach with millions of star fish stranded. He was picking them up a placing them back in the sea.

A second man was watching and after a while said to the first, "what's the point in this? There's so many of them. You won't make any difference."

The first man just picked up a star fish and said, "it makes a difference to this one" as he put it gently back in the water.

A very sexy story, I know.

By *eralt80Man
40 weeks ago

cork

I think it’s a lazy excuse to say that our contribution is tribal compared to what the US and China are doing. That makes it even more important to do our bit. Not so long ago this little country introduced a plastic bag levy and we were one of the first to do so. And many more countries followed on afterwards.

I’m just out of the recycling centre and glad to say even on this rainy day there was a good crowd of people in there.

40 weeks ago

Put a jumper on rather than the heating or lighting a fire. Walk or cycle if possible rather than driving and now the most contentious one, cut down on air travel. I work outside and the climate has changed in my 45 years of life and not for the better. Lecture over, sorry if I have triggered anyone

By *oxminxCouple
40 weeks ago

NaughtyVille *×* Laois

Bar of soap v hand wash

Boxed bananas v plastic bag type

Wexford strawberry mmm v any other

By *abrielle43Woman
40 weeks ago

Kildare

Watched an interesting programme that said the best thing anyone can do for the environment is stop recycling plastic, as it's shipped out to Malaysia etc for 'processing' but actually just dumped into the oceans. I try to buy as little as possible with plastic packaging.

By *electableicecreamMan
40 weeks ago

The West

I pick my battles.

I buy used (furniture, cars, tech) when I can and support charity shops.

I use my phone for three years min then sell it so someone can have a cheap phone.

I upgrade and repair my computers instead of replacing them.

Electronic waste is frightening in it's volume, labour intensive to recycle and a carbon monster to transport.

I drink Irish made craft beers and booze.

I cycle as much as I can.

I swim in the sea instead of a heated pool.

High quality LED lights. Minimal heating.

By *oghunter33Woman
40 weeks ago

on the hill NordWest of

Drive 80km/h instead of 100km/h on national roads, has the nice side effect that you annoy the shit out of all the Audi drivers.

By *electableicecreamMan
40 weeks ago

The West

"Drive 80km/h instead of 100km/h on national roads, has the nice side effect that you annoy the shit out of all the Audi drivers. "

It's always the Audi's!

By *eart-shaped-foxMan
40 weeks ago

Limerick, Clare, Tipp

"Drive 80km/h instead of 100km/h on national roads, has the nice side effect that you annoy the shit out of all the Audi drivers. "

Now that is malicious compliance

By *oxminxCouple
40 weeks ago

NaughtyVille *×* Laois

It's not on Audi drivers that you are annoying lol

By *oxminxCouple
40 weeks ago

NaughtyVille *×* Laois

[Removed by poster at 30/09/23 12:06:43]

By *ildarekinkstersCouple
40 weeks ago

kinkytown

We walk or take public transport where possible. (Plus side to that is we have found some great little naughty spots out walking)

Always recycle whatever we can packaging waste wise.

Attempt to have anything electronic or electric repaired before buying anything new (if we buy anything new we make sure the old item is disposed of in the correct manner)

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple
40 weeks ago

Kinda Dublin

I have an Audi, and I notice when I drive exactly 100km/hrs, the amount of km left in the tank that it estimates, is always at its maximum. So it seems 100km is the most efficient and energy saving speed.

By *electableicecreamMan
40 weeks ago

The West

"Drive 80km/h instead of 100km/h on national roads, has the nice side effect that you annoy the shit out of all the Audi drivers.

I have an Audi, and I notice when I drive exactly 100km/hrs, the amount of km left in the tank that it estimates, is always at its maximum. So it seems 100km is the most efficient and energy saving speed. "

I had a hiace that was most efficient at 130km/hr

By *llthewaysMan
40 weeks ago

Somewhere

Solar panels.

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple
40 weeks ago

Kinda Dublin

"Such trivial nonsense to think anything we in Ireland can do to save the planet when you have giants like and china and usa doing whatever they want ..nothing little Ireland could ever do would reverse climate change unless the big boys decide to make a change themselves "

Not true at all, you underestimate little old Ireland! We were the 1st country in the world to implement something as mental as banning cigarettes in pubs! Or charging for single use plastics like shopping bags. Now it's the standard across the entire planet!

Ireland has a huge influence on the rest of the globe, and if we make a small change, "big boys" like the US follow in our footsteps.

40 weeks ago

We have sex outside to save electricity and heating..

By *eth TVTV/TS
40 weeks ago

Mid Meath

"Watched an interesting programme that said the best thing anyone can do for the environment is stop recycling plastic, as it's shipped out to Malaysia etc for 'processing' but actually just dumped into the oceans. I try to buy as little as possible with plastic packaging. "

Whatever about the fate of our recyclables (I’ve heard of what you saw, and other things too.), it’s a truth that cutting down on packaging is a massive massive step to take, for a myriad of reasons.

By *llthewaysMan
40 weeks ago

Somewhere

"We have sex outside to save electricity and heating.."

Well if you do it inside you generate more heat in the house. Bring some others over, so they aren't heating their houses and have an orgy. Really get the place warmed up

By *oodOmensfor2Couple
40 weeks ago

Ennis

Buy rechargeable toys .

Even more energy friendly if you have pv solar panels on the roof

By *ilderMan
40 weeks ago

dublin

Save water, shower with a friend

By *chochamberWoman
40 weeks ago

Limerick

Eat less meat and dairy.

Travel less.

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple
40 weeks ago

Kinda Dublin

Im sick to death of explaining this. Emersion heaters have 2 heating coils in the tank. The top coil is called "Sink", the bottom coil is called "Bath".

Unless you have a family of 8 to wash, always leave the damn switch on Sink! When switched to "Bath", you cannot get hot water without heating up the entire tank, it takes forever, costs a fortune, and drives me mad.

By *ay_Gatsby_D4Man
40 weeks ago

City Centre, Dublin, Belfast

I eat local when I can

Loose fruit and veg instead of packaged

Take public transport

Cycle to work

Only full loads in the washer

40 weeks ago

washing machine and dishwasher on lower heats .... washing takes longer but it's supposed to be good for the environment and you pockets too

By *electableicecreamMan
40 weeks ago

The West

"Im sick to death of explaining this. Emersion heaters have 2 heating coils in the tank. The top coil is called "Sink", the bottom coil is called "Bath".

Unless you have a family of 8 to wash, always leave the damn switch on Sink! When switched to "Bath", you cannot get hot water without heating up the entire tank, it takes forever, costs a fortune, and drives me mad. "

I did not know this.

I don't use the emersion anymore as have oil heating but that is still useful info.

By *eralt80Man
40 weeks ago

cork

"Im sick to death of explaining this. Emersion heaters have 2 heating coils in the tank. The top coil is called "Sink", the bottom coil is called "Bath".

Unless you have a family of 8 to wash, always leave the damn switch on Sink! When switched to "Bath", you cannot get hot water without heating up the entire tank, it takes forever, costs a fortune, and drives me mad. "

They also have an internal temperature stat and will switch themselves off once the temperature is reached.

Note :- most of the newer pressurised stainless cylinders only have a single element immersion

By *inkywife1981Couple
40 weeks ago

A town near you

I cut an extra hopper of turf this year, oh wait.

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple
40 weeks ago

Kinda Dublin

Unless you have a family of 8 to wash, always leave the damn switch on Sink! When switched to "Bath", you cannot get hot water without heating up the entire tank, it takes forever, costs a fortune, and drives me mad.

They also have an internal temperature stat and will switch themselves off once the temperature is reached.

Note :- most of the newer pressurised stainless cylinders only have a single element immersion"

Well in newer systems I'd say have thermostats. But in shitty places I've rented, someone will forget to switch it off, and the entire house will start banging and exploding until you run the hot tap and release the pressure.

40 weeks ago

I did not know this.

I don't use the emersion anymore as have oil heating but that is still useful info.

"

Oil heating and a hiace you’re really trying

By *og-ManMan
40 weeks ago

somewhere

Keep clothes longer

Change lightbulbs to LEDs

Recycle as much as possible

By *og-ManMan
40 weeks ago

somewhere

Fit as many people as possible into one hotel room so the hotel doesn't have to wash as many sets of bedsheets

Cycle to meets

Don't use condoms as it'll save on rubber.....no wait a minute

By *electableicecreamMan
40 weeks ago

The West

I did not know this.

Oil heating and a hiace you’re really trying "

As always your contribution is as useful as it is polite.

40 weeks ago

Use back boiler to heat water

Turn off the rads in rooms down stairs

Change from electric showers to pump

Only use the washing machine at off peak

Use public transportation as much as possible

Get as much use out of kids and you’re own clothes as possible

And last but not least keep her out of Penney’s

40 weeks ago

I did not know this.

Oil heating and a hiace you’re really trying

As always your contribution is as useful as it is polite. "

Light’n up man or made not as the thread goes

By *oxminxCouple
40 weeks ago

NaughtyVille *×* Laois

"Fit as many people as possible into one hotel room so the hotel doesn't have to wash as many sets of bedsheets

Cycle to meets

Don't use condoms as it'll save on rubber.....no wait a minute "

Please... Don't reuse them

By *electableicecreamMan
40 weeks ago

The West

"Fit as many people as possible into one hotel room so the hotel doesn't have to wash as many sets of bedsheets

Cycle to meets

Please... Don't reuse them "

Sausage skins have multiple uses

By *oxminxCouple
40 weeks ago

NaughtyVille *×* Laois

Cycle to meets

Sausage skins have multiple uses "

Feel ill now thanks lol

40 weeks ago

Cycle to meets

Sausage skins have multiple uses "

One pair of rubber gloves gives you ten shags.

By *og-ManMan
40 weeks ago

somewhere

Cycle to meets

Sausage skins have multiple uses

One pair of rubber gloves gives you ten shags. "

Depending on the size of the willie

Suppose I could use the 2 thumbs

By *panishRebelMan
40 weeks ago

Alicante Spain, and Cork City Ireland

"Drive 80km/h instead of 100km/h on national roads, has the nice side effect that you annoy the shit out of all the Audi drivers.

It's always the Audi's!"

Every time I give out about another car... My kids always point out that it's BMW...

40 weeks ago

I know I’m being a little pedantic but it’s actually ‘immersion’ and not Emersion.

Other than that, I agree 100%

By *antra MassageMan
40 weeks ago

south side

"Watched an interesting programme that said the best thing anyone can do for the environment is stop recycling plastic, as it's shipped out to Malaysia etc for 'processing' but actually just dumped into the oceans. I try to buy as little as possible with plastic packaging. "

This is true. I have a friend in this industry. They gather bales of recycled plastic in huge tankers,anchored off shore and then dump them in the deepest part of the Pacific. It's hugely profitable, and governments turn a blind eye.

By *he zephyrCouple
40 weeks ago

The Sol

I do this, sink only for an hour each morning. The tank is well insulated so it stays hot for ages.

By *ustBoWoman
40 weeks ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I don't travel much,to be fair more due to lack of time that thinking of saving the environment .

I recycle and buy as little plastic as possible.

I quite often buy things second hand.

I don't have TVs etc on stand by.

And probably most contentiously I didn't have any children .

It may not be much in the way of helping the environment but it's something I suppose.

By *astello OP   Woman
40 weeks ago

Tír na nÓg

Thanks everyone for contributing. Hopefully a few tips here we can all use in our lives. I'm a massive fan of upcycled furniture, no only is it away better quality but amazing what a tin of paint and a few new handles can do.

Oh and coffee cups..killarney is now disposable coffee cup free..another huge step forward in waste.

40 weeks ago

She doesn’t use cash anymore so we all sit around the card when she comes home it usually red hot

By *ildarekinkstersCouple
40 weeks ago

kinkytown

That's odd because I know any of the waste plastic we produce in work is recycled. The softer more malleable plastic is usually shipped off to China (€400 a Bale now) where as harder plastic (bottles, buckets and plant trays for example) is sent to a recycling plant here in Ireland to be well recycled. Serious money in it all so find it very odd someone would just dump it like that.

By *cl2010Couple
40 weeks ago

cork

So this is something I actually know a fair bit about.

It boils down to 2 concepts.

For waste it's reduce, reuse and lastly recycle. Very very much in that order. Recycling is a horrible last option.

For energy efficiency and carbon emissions.. heat is expensive, especially hot water. Motion is also expensive. So if it gets hot or moves you around it results in a lot of carbon dioxide being released somewhere. Electric showers, central heating, cars, airplanes etc..bad

Lighting and small electronics like phones, tablets, computers etc are fine.

By *aid backMan
40 weeks ago

by a lake with my rod out

[Removed by poster at 30/09/23 20:37:58]

By *aid backMan
40 weeks ago

by a lake with my rod out

Every time Eamon Ryan opens his mouth about doing anything to save green house emissions. While he has a car driving behind him while he cycles. I burn a tyre out my back

40 weeks ago

"Every time Eamon Ryan opens his mouth about doing anything to save green house emissions. While he has a car driving behind him while he cycles. I burn a tyre out my back "

I remember when they formed the government he drove out of Leinster house in a vw transporter 2.5 diesel and the black smoke billowing out of it as he smiled and waved to the cameras

But if we all ignore it our kids and there kids will pay

By *inkywife1981Couple
40 weeks ago

A town near you

Cutbacks and reducing of carbon footprints is for the serfs and great unwashed it doesn't apply to the upper classes!

40 weeks ago

Been to some places on this planet and seen it at first hand yacht’s,helicopters,private planes serious cars houses that honestly the amount of electricity would run a small factory

But if you keep putting you’re plastic in the recycling bin at least you’re conscious is clear

By *og-ManMan
40 weeks ago

somewhere

You can do nothing,try nothing and just complain about it

Maybe we've already killed the planet

But I know I try to reduce my footprint in this world ....not for me but for any future generations

Every little helps

By *he zephyrCouple
40 weeks ago

The Sol

"Thanks everyone for contributing. Hopefully a few tips here we can all use in our lives. I'm a massive fan of upcycled furniture, no only is it away better quality but amazing what a tin of paint and a few new handles can do.

Oh and coffee cups..killarney is now disposable coffee cup free..another huge step forward in waste. "

Another one is to check your heating timer is only coming on when you need it, that it's not just on by routine. And don't have the curtains open after dark, there's a lot of heat loss via windows that way.

That could save you a bit of cash

By *ealitybitesMan
40 weeks ago

Belfast

I'm just back from Asturias where I met people living in 300 year old cottages powered by solar panels and growing all their own fruit and veg and making their own cider.

I was also in a village with no road access where only 9 people live all year round but they have 6 pubs to accommodate hiking tourists.

By *ubberNumbersCouple
40 weeks ago

dublin

The planet is fine, it's been here alot longer than us and will probably be here after us too. Unless our near galactic area disappears into a black hole.

It's the environment in which we need the planet to be in to survive that's the issue.

My big gripe on the environmental issue is the massive push on electric cars. It's not the answer, or even close to it. It's just pushing the problem somewhere else and making the big wigs rich while we're at it.

Transport pollution needs to be fixed with proper public transport.

40 weeks ago

"I'm just back from Asturias where I met people living in 300 year old cottages powered by solar panels and growing all their own fruit and veg and making their own cider.

I was also in a village with no road access where only 9 people live all year round but they have 6 pubs to accommodate hiking tourists.

"

Great ya we as in the Irish did this years ago we knuckled down no oil heating made sure all the heat that was in the room stayed in the room

Extra blankets on the bed if you were cold and most grew there own as much as they could

Now you’re lucky if you have a house never mind a back garden to grow you’re own

And one question is how much fuel did that plane use and burn into the atmosphere to take you and the other passengers to Spain

By *ealitybitesMan
40 weeks ago

Belfast

"I'm just back from Asturias where I met people living in 300 year old cottages powered by solar panels and growing all their own fruit and veg and making their own cider.

Great ya we as in the Irish did this years ago we knuckled down no oil heating made sure all the heat that was in the room stayed in the room

Extra blankets on the bed if you were cold and most grew there own as much as they could

Now you’re lucky if you have a house never mind a back garden to grow you’re own

And one question is how much fuel did that plane use and burn into the atmosphere to take you and the other passengers to Spain "

How would I know? First time on a plane in 5 years so I'm not exactly racking up the airmiles.

40 weeks ago

Almost everyone that has posted on this thread including op and us use planes,trains,and automobiles to navigate this planet

We sit at home and say era fuck that is only 2 euro extra to get it delivered think about it how much does it cost maybe not just for you’re package but the rest that think the same

Reality this is not a go at you personally but maybe before we all post about what a great holiday we had and then come on a thread like this and say

I put my plastics in the bin that will change nothing

40 weeks ago

And one question is how much fuel did that plane use and burn into the atmosphere to take you and the other passengers to Spain

How would I know? First time on a plane in 5 years so I'm not exactly racking up the airmiles. "

Hope you enjoyed your holiday

By *oxminxCouple
40 weeks ago

NaughtyVille *×* Laois

Often feel saving the planet is akin to death.

Unavoidable

40 weeks ago

"Often feel saving the planet is akin to death.

Unavoidable "

It comes too us all eventually no doubt

39 weeks ago

Eco tips is the equivalent of rearranging some of the deckchairs on The Titanic.

The demise of our fragile and unique ecosystem on this planet, Earth, was set in train when we moved from an agrarian society to one of industrialisation using fossil fuels such as coal, oil and gas to accelerate our alleged development!

Mankind's greed, stupidity and myopia is boundless!!

By *electableicecreamMan
39 weeks ago

The West

Do what you can so that our children may learn that doing what they can is often all they can do.

May our minds rest easy knowing knowing we tried our best and the straw that broke the camels back was not born of cynicism.

Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.

By *rBandMrsGCouple
39 weeks ago

Kilkenny

Cycle when we can, decided to do this instead of a second car. For anything local it's perfectly fine.

Covered bones of 4000km in a year and not only does it reduce fossil fuel use but it saves tonnes of money as no expense of second car (buying, insurance, tax, service and fuel).

Other plus side is always get prime parking at shops, creche etc. Awful handy!

Young lad knows the roads locally better then some adults I'd say, especially the quieter back roads.

By *rBandMrsGCouple
39 weeks ago

Kilkenny

"Eco tips is the equivalent of rearranging some of the deckchairs on The Titanic.

The demise of our fragile and unique ecosystem on this planet, Earth, was set in train when we moved from an agrarian society to one of industrialisation using fossil fuels such as coal, oil and gas to accelerate our alleged development!

Mankind's greed, stupidity and myopia is boundless!!"

We're sadly a very selfish species at times and extremely lazy.

Even locally I've seen neighbours drive 300m to creche with their kids rather then walk 200m to the same creche. They are not stuck for time or have issues that prevent them walking.

Even if you don't agree with removing unnecessary driving as a eco tip, spending the time walking and talking to your kid is worth it imho

By *aptainpuffinMan
39 weeks ago

Ballincollig

I’ve got rid of shower gel and am back to the old soap on a rope . Where I live is very cycle friendly so I have an old steel bike for hacking around the village, it’s actually as quick as the car !

By *ealitybitesMan
39 weeks ago

Belfast

I don't have the option of cycling to work or using public transport. There is no direct service so my current 1 hour commute would be closer to 3.

Even in a previous job where I was a 10 min walk from my office I still had to take the car as the office was just my starting point for the 1000-1500 miles I had to cover every week.

If we are going hiking as a group we travel together when possible but even that isn't always practical as none of the group live within 30 miles of me so I have to make my own way every time.

We do follow the leave no trace policy though and have often taken other people's rubbish home from the hills.

39 weeks ago

"I don't have the option of cycling to work or using public transport. There is no direct service so my current 1 hour commute would be closer to 3.

Even in a previous job where I was a 10 min walk from my office I still had to take the car as the office was just my starting point for the 1000-1500 miles I had to cover every week.

If we are going hiking as a group we travel together when possible but even that isn't always practical as none of the group live within 30 miles of me so I have to make my own way every time.

We do follow the leave no trace policy though and have often taken other people's rubbish home from the hills."

See this is it.. there's really no point in people taking the higher ground here over the things they now do. I can't go grocery shopping with out the car, can't get my kid to school, can't get to work, all without the car. But I do what I can. It's as much as any of us can do.

By *eth TVTV/TS
39 weeks ago

Mid Meath

"I don't have the option of cycling to work or using public transport. There is no direct service so my current 1 hour commute would be closer to 3.

We do follow the leave no trace policy though and have often taken other people's rubbish home from the hills.

See this is it.. there's really no point in people taking the higher ground here over the things they now do. I can't go grocery shopping with out the car, can't get my kid to school, can't get to work, all without the car. But I do what I can. It's as much as any of us can do."

Most of us would agree and see you and the last posts point; it isn’t essentially easy or possible for many of us to cut out or cut back. At the same time for others it’s a lot easier than we think, and yeah it occasionally comes with a modest sacrifice from what we’d become used to.

For the want of trying, have many of us?

Post new Message to Thread