Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Questions for people who received a council house

Jump to newest

By *orkguy1994 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

So I'm only on the waiting list for a council apartment/house for 1/2 bedroom with some ongoing problems so I'm on a priority list but on Tuesday I was asked to come in to a meeting because the senior housing educative officer said allocations are looking at my housing file .

During the meeting he just ask my salary and to post in 3 current payslips asked what type of houses I be interested in and asked if I could be Garda vetted (which I said yes) and he made me sign a form and that was the whole meeting .

Has this happened to others who have been waiting for a council house and if so what happened after it. Did anyone receive a follow up after the Garda vetting and is this a good sign to say they wanted me to get Garda vetted. PS I was refused a mortgage incase anyone thinks I didn't try

Hope for some responses and feedback

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rmrs1234Couple
over a year ago

Waterford

As far as i know they run your name with the gardai to check re any criminal records and such. I think its a box they have to tick for your file. I would imagine if youre all good there wouldnt be an issue regarding a favourable outcome for you with the council. Hopefully you will be in your forever home soon

By *orkguy1994 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

Ya I was thinking I could be that bit closer since I was Garda vetted which I had no issue with being done. Just a waiting game now I suppose. Thank you for your response and feedback

By *rish_GuyMan
over a year ago

Foxford

I applied for social housing 7 year's ago. Can't say I remember anything about being Garda vetted at the time. I'd have no problem with it anyway's. I wasn't working at the time, there was no point in applying for a mortgage.

Have you any kids OP, that'll be living or staying with you?

Cause if you don't, DON'T even think about a 2 bedroom apartment or house.

I'm going on personal experience OP. I said I wanted(like) a 2 bedroom house or apartment. So family members or a friend could stay with me. I was told that cause I'm single man & don't have any kids. A 1 bedroom house or apartment is all I'd get & I'd never been able to own it either. As they'd never sell it. In the future if I did have kids & needed a bigger place to live

I'd have to reapply to the council for a bigger house or apartment.

(Ladies don't get mad at me now)

I was told that if I was a woman & of child bearing age, I'd/she'd get a 2 or 3 bedroom home or apartment. Even if she didn't ever want to have kid's.

The time I was approved until I got the house I'm in now. It took 2 year's. That was down to circumstances outside of my control changing for me. They needed the house I was in. So they gave me the opinion of the house I'm in now or another one on the other side of the town I liv in. Otherwise god knows how long I'd be on the waiting list for a place to live.

Hopefully everything works out for you OP.

By *orkguy1994 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

"I applied for social housing 7 year's ago. Can't say I remember anything about being Garda vetted at the time. I'd have no problem with it anyway's. I wasn't working at the time, there was no point in applying for a mortgage.

I'm going on personal experience OP. I said I wanted(like) a 2 bedroom house or apartment. So family members or a friend could stay with me. I was told that cause I'm single man & don't have any kids. A 1 bedroom house or apartment is all I'd get & I'd never been able to own it either. As they'd never sell it. In the future if I did have kids & needed a bigger place to live

I was told that if I was a woman & of child bearing age, I'd/she'd get a 2 or 3 bedroom home or apartment. Even if she didn't ever want to have kid's.

The time I was approved until I got the house I'm in now. It took 2 year's. That was down to circumstances outside of my control changing for me. They needed the house I was in. So they gave me the opinion of the house I'm in now or another one on the other side of the town I liv in. Otherwise god knows how long I'd be on the waiting list for a place to live.

Hopefully everything works out for you OP. "

Nope no kids and I be happy with just 1 bedroom due to my circumstances , however it was the council who said I be entitled to a 2 bedroom which I found weird myself as I'm a single applicant lol.just hoping the Garda vetting is a plus especially when they called me in last week to make me sign it

Thanks for your feedback regarding my question and hope your all good where you are right now

By *rish_GuyMan
over a year ago

Foxford

"I applied for social housing 7 year's ago. Can't say I remember anything about being Garda vetted at the time. I'd have no problem with it anyway's. I wasn't working at the time, there was no point in applying for a mortgage.

Hopefully everything works out for you OP.

Nope no kids and I be happy with just 1 bedroom due to my circumstances , however it was the council who said I be entitled to a 2 bedroom which I found weird myself as I'm a single applicant lol.just hoping the Garda vetting is a plus especially when they called me in last week to make me sign it

Thanks for your feedback regarding my question and hope your all good where you are right now "

O right. Hopefully you get something soon. I can't see the council up here saying that to single men. The garda vetting must be a standard thing they have to do now. Hopefully so.

Your welcome OP.

Apart from the weather.

Things are as good as there going to be.

By *thloneros38Man
over a year ago

athlone/roscommon

Op i think it is a 2bedroom house/appartment you could get the vetting thing is just to make sure that you are of good character hope all goes well for you

By *orkguy1994 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

"Op i think it is a 2bedroom house/appartment you could get the vetting thing is just to make sure that you are of good character hope all goes well for you "

Hopefully and thank you for your response

By *oo32Man
over a year ago

tipperary

See is there an option to buy a place with the council renting/selling it back to you

By *orkguy1994 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

"See is there an option to buy a place with the council renting/selling it back to you "

I didn't know that was an option . I will look into that , thank you

By *s LollyWoman
over a year ago

The pub then supermacs ...

Ive a mortgage through the County Council which is a god send, i know they used to do a scheme where you buy half /rent half not to sure how it works but its very popular....

By *orkguy1994 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

"Ive a mortgage through the County Council which is a god send, i know they used to do a scheme where you buy half /rent half not to sure how it works but its very popular...."

Would I need to currently be renting from them right now for that scheme though ?

By *s LollyWoman
over a year ago

"Ive a mortgage through the County Council which is a god send, i know they used to do a scheme where you buy half /rent half not to sure how it works but its very popular....

Would I need to currently be renting from them right now for that scheme though ?"

As far as I know don't think so....

By *orkguy1994 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

"Ive a mortgage through the County Council which is a god send, i know they used to do a scheme where you buy half /rent half not to sure how it works but its very popular....

Would I need to currently be renting from them right now for that scheme though ?

As far as I know don't think so...."

Thanks for the info about this

By *rish_GuyMan
over a year ago

Foxford

As far as I know don't think so....

Thanks for the info about this "

There was a scheme here year's ago, that basically was a rent to buy. You paid an amount for your rent, that was going towards buying the house aswell, that's gone now. As far as I know they only do mortgage type lending/selling of houses. If you were renting a house from them. They'd take that off the marked value of the house your renting. That was in up to 10 year's ago anyway's. They've a scheme up here now that if you've been turned down for a mortgage 3 times & your on the housing waiting list. You can apply for it. It depends on your income, you getting turned down 3 times for a mortgage. I'm sure there's other T&C to it aswell.

Ask them about buying a house OP. You've nothing to lose anyway's.

By *oo32Man
over a year ago

tipperary

Look up the tenenant incremental purchase scheme 2016

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Was told by Dublin City council the offer of a house was 17 years away , I wouldn’t hold my breath , and I have kids

By *orkguy1994 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

Thanks everyone

By *orkguy1994 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

"Was told by Dublin City council the offer of a house was 17 years away , I wouldn’t hold my breath , and I have kids "
probably different for different parts of the country . I just hope it's a good sign considering they brought me in for a meeting with the senior executive housing officer and Garda vetted me so I'm hoping for something when the Garda vetting comes through

By *s LollyWoman
over a year ago

Hope all goes well for you OP

By *rish_GuyMan
over a year ago

Foxford

"Was told by Dublin City council the offer of a house was 17 years away , I wouldn’t hold my breath , and I have kids probably different for different parts of the country . I just hope it's a good sign considering they brought me in for a meeting with the senior executive housing officer and Garda vetted me so I'm hoping for something when the Garda vetting comes through "

It usually is different in different Counties. Hopefully it all goes well & works out for you OP.

By *orkguy1994 OP   Man
over a year ago

cork

Thanks everyone ??

By *Whiskey Guy 2.0Man
over a year ago

Ballynaughty

It would great to meet Council estate babes!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Council's are a law into themselves tbh ,that you're at the distance you are OP is great ,l hope everything works out for you , but the way both the Council & the Government work in this Country as regards housing is a utter disgrace.

By *orkguy1994 OP   Man
52 weeks ago

cork

Tha ks everyone. Been 2 weeks and still heard noting back about my Garda vetting 8nless it takes longer for that lol

Post new Message to Thread