Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Stay or go

Jump to newest

By *rish_Guy OP   Man
over a year ago

Foxford

So people, as were talking about the cost of living & finding it hard live in this Country for some people.

Anybody EVER thought about emigrating in the past(this would be, before you had kids or started looking after family members), to where & what stopped you?

I know I did, when I was young enough to do it. I thought about Australia, New Zealand & Canada(Toronto or Vancouver). Not enough money saved up at the time to do it. But if I did do it, wouldn't move back to this Country again, unless I was in a box.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

Yes I thought about moving to Ireland... and then I did

By *rish_Guy OP   Man
over a year ago

Foxford

"Yes I thought about moving to Ireland... and then I did "

Aren't you VERY smart, with that answer(even doe it's true).

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

Back in 1990 We qualified to move to Australia ...got all the necessary points...got through the interview

We were both working in jobs we liked ,handed in our notice to leave and decided not to bother going.

Glad we didn't to be honest

By *rish_Guy OP   Man
over a year ago

Foxford

"Back in 1990 We qualified to move to Australia ...got all the necessary points...got through the interview

We were both working in jobs we liked ,handed in our notice to leave and decided not to bother going.

"

O right.

Are you willing to say,Why ye stayed?

By *electableicecreamMan
over a year ago

The West

I moved to London when I was 17 and worked in a bar. Didn't like it much so came home. People were nicer at home.

I moved to Thailand for a while in my twenties and worked in a travelling circus visiting orphanages and refugee camps along the Burmese border. I missed clouds and the rain.

New York is my spiritual home and if I didn't have a family to raise here I would be there I reckon.

I'm happy with my lot. Galway is nice.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Tbh even if I was younger I wouldn't move I'm a real home bird, I don't like going on holidays abroad .. that's the truth, I know I'm a odd ball

By *ot neuteredMan
over a year ago

Kildare

If you have no important ties here then go, you can always come back, not just in a box, there's plenty of people who are sorry they didn't travel when they had the chance, and I've met very few who are sorry they did travel

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

"Back in 1990 We qualified to move to Australia ...got all the necessary points...got through the interview

O right.

Are you willing to say,Why ye stayed?"

Her 2 brothers had gone a year previously and were still dossing in other peoples apartments and parties every night

They told her that we'd all get an apartment....could see that causing trouble

Then work took off so we stayed

By *cskinnyMan
over a year ago

despair somewhere near

Worked in america for 3-6 months each year for about 5 years between california and new york should never have left cali but thats life and im here now. Would life be better.. who knows but one thing is for sure ireland isnt what it used to be. Or maybe its just what we make of it.

Id recommended doing what you feel you need to do. Regret is a bitter pill

By *eralt80Man
over a year ago

cork

When I was made redundant in 2010 a friend who had moved to the US many years before asked me to move out. I said I’d try and go out on my own first and if that didn’t work out then I could always move over. Wok continued to get busier here over the years so never felt the need to immigrate.

over a year ago

I lived in Australia for 4 years. loved every minute but I love home too much to go again. I was offered a great job there in 2011 but declined it at the last minute. I don't regret it at all now. I feel emigrating is more suited to people in their 20's when it's easier to make friends, work longer hours and earn the big bucks

over a year ago

The longer a person stays in this Country the more difficult it is to leave it , as regards travelling a person should do it while they're young , once that window closes as regards travelling ..it's closed ..l know couple's who moved abroad simply because they couldn't afford to stay here and BOTH decided to go..l think it's easier to go when Ties are no more , eg maybe parents are passed..but what's important here in such a decision is that it's better for everyone to go ..

By *ot so needyMan
over a year ago

Galway

98~02 I lived just outside London while in college. it was tough only 1 other male in the course but most of the girls were sound and I'm still in contact with a few.

I work abroad alot UK 3 or 4 weeks a year france for a month for pre season. I am going to Budapest for a week's work today.

But I will always come home.

It where I feel most relaxed.

over a year ago

O right.

Her 2 brothers had gone a year previously and were still dossing in other peoples apartments and parties every night

Then work took off so we stayed "

We were accepted for Australia in 1983 and went. Lived in a hostel for 2 months and tried to get work which wasn't as easy as we were told so contacted our respective previous employers and got our jobs back lol.

Turned it into a 6 month holiday.

Happy enough in NI and glad we had the experience.

By *andR2019Couple
over a year ago

Nunya

We both moved here from Scotland and wouldn’t be in a rush to go back anytime.

We’ve looked into Canada, USA, New Zealand and then some parts of Spain and Portugal that have English speaking schools. However the timing and a few other factors aren’t right at the moment for us.

By *irdnBorisMan
over a year ago

meath

"Tbh even if I was younger I wouldn't move I'm a real home bird, I don't like going on holidays abroad .. that's the truth, I know I'm a odd ball "
i havent been on sun holiday either been to uk on hols a good few times visited didly squat 2 weeks ago was ok but would not be in a hurry to visit it again was bank holiday in england traffic was menthal

By *ilderMan
over a year ago

dublin

Nobody likes a quiter

over a year ago

I've lived in 5 different countries but I always missed the rain so here I am

By *ink-panth3rMan
over a year ago

roscrea

"So people, as were talking about the cost of living & finding it hard live in this Country for some people.

Anybody EVER thought about emigrating in the past(this would be, before you had kids or started looking after family members), to where & what stopped you?

I know I did, when I was young enough to do it. I thought about Australia, New Zealand & Canada(Toronto or Vancouver). Not enough money saved up at the time to do it. But if I did do it, wouldn't move back to this Country again, unless I was in a box. "

I did a stint in America twice, cost of living is ok but not too bad. But Americans would sicken ya

over a year ago

"So people, as were talking about the cost of living & finding it hard live in this Country for some people.

I know I did, when I was young enough to do it. I thought about Australia, New Zealand & Canada(Toronto or Vancouver). Not enough money saved up at the time to do it. But if I did do it, wouldn't move back to this Country again, unless I was in a box.

I did a stint in America twice, cost of living is ok but not too bad. But Americans would sicken ya"

In what way

By *ealmc1973Man
over a year ago

Limerick, Clare, Tipperary

Grass is always greener on the other side.

Cost of living is creeping up everywhere and there isn't cheap country anymore.

Canada was prohibitively expensive, when I was there for a while many years ago, Oz, after their own 'tiger' years?

But, yes.

If you are thinking to pack your bag, do not ask for opinions.

Do what you feel is the right thing to do.

By *ink-panth3rMan
over a year ago

roscrea

I did a stint in America twice, cost of living is ok but not too bad. But Americans would sicken ya

In what way "

Well not all of em would. Just some of their mannerisms aren't pleasant. And they got a very very dry sense of humour

By *heBlowinsCouple
over a year ago

West Cork

I did a stint in America twice, cost of living is ok but not too bad. But Americans would sicken ya"

Lolllll they can be something! I'm (Mr.) American

We moved to Ireland years ago as we didn't care for gun culture and the heat.. Ireland has its faults (just like anywhere) but we absolutely love it here. Cost of living is very comparable to where were in the States.

It's our forever home now

By *ink-panth3rMan
over a year ago

roscrea

We moved to Ireland years ago as we didn't care for gun culture and the heat.. Ireland has its faults (just like anywhere) but we absolutely love it here. Cost of living is very comparable to where were in the States.

It's our forever home now "

I don't mean to offend lol

By *heBlowinsCouple
over a year ago

West Cork

In what way

Well not all of em would. Just some of their mannerisms aren't pleasant. And they got a very very dry sense of humour "

My English wife thinks the opposite.. couldn't understand how many Americans didn't enjoy sarcastic banter

By *heBlowinsCouple
over a year ago

West Cork

I don't mean to offend lol"

Oh not offended at all- I'm very friendly but quite unAmerican

over a year ago

Oh not offended at all- I'm very friendly but quite unAmerican "

Yer only blow’in’s we say if you’re unAmerican Jesus have ye not learned anything

By *heBlowinsCouple
over a year ago

West Cork

Yer only blow’in’s we say if you’re unAmerican Jesus have ye not learned anything "

Always learning You mean if we're not American? We've been called blowins (or "tourists") from just about everyone since we got here

By *electableicecreamMan
over a year ago

The West

Yer only blow’in’s we say if you’re unAmerican Jesus have ye not learned anything

Always learning You mean if we're not American? We've been called blowins (or "tourists") from just about everyone since we got here "

If your not from the parish your a blow in.

The entire population of West cork are blow ins in fairness

By *rish_Guy OP   Man
over a year ago

Foxford

"If you have no important ties here then go, you can always come back, not just in a box, there's plenty of people who are sorry they didn't travel when they had the chance, and I've met very few who are sorry they did travel "

That's true in most cases alright. I don't have any time here anymore, that's true. Also I wouldn't have a reason to come back either. Like I've no home base to come back to. So what'd be the point in coming back, unless in a box, really?

over a year ago

Always learning You mean if we're not American? We've been called blowins (or "tourists") from just about everyone since we got here "

Sure it’l be the same in twenty years time ye’ll be grand boy

By *rish_Guy OP   Man
over a year ago

Foxford

O right.

Then work took off so we stayed "

O right, ya I could see that turning into troublesome mess alright. O right, very good.

By *ind PaddyMan
over a year ago

South County Dublin

I did a working one year holiday visa to Australia. Had a great time. Only regret did not go to New Zealand. Lived in New York for 6 months but came home.

Met my wife and we had great holidays in New Zealand and Australia.

I'm a Dub, Dublin has changed a lot as has the whole of Ireland.

By *rish_Guy OP   Man
over a year ago

Foxford

Always learning You mean if we're not American? We've been called blowins (or "tourists") from just about everyone since we got here

Sure it’l be the same in twenty years time ye’ll be grand boy "

Ya,that's true alright. Or they'll be called the 2 American langers, from West Cork.

By *heBlowinsCouple
over a year ago

West Cork

Ya,that's true alright. Or they'll be called the 2 American langers, from West Cork. "

Only one of us

Certainly been called worse!

By *otownkid1967Man
over a year ago

Portlaoise

I left as a 15 year old, went to England. Learnt my trade and travelled all over Europe with work. Spent a couple of years in the States as well. But I always wanted to move back home. Eventually moved back several years ago and never regretted it.

I didn't want to leave Ireland in the first place but there was no choice in the early 80s. I made the best of it and had a great time but there's no place like home.

By *rish_Guy OP   Man
over a year ago

Foxford

Ya,that's true alright. Or they'll be called the 2 American langers, from West Cork.

Only one of us

Certainly been called worse! "

Only 1 of ye is actually an American alright. That doesn't mean ye both wouldn't be classed as Americans in this Country. It's only when hear your wife's English accent that'll change that with some people, even if they don't say it to ye're faces. That isn't only in Cork either(believe me).

By *heBlowinsCouple
over a year ago

West Cork

Only one of us

Only 1 of ye is actually an American alright. That doesn't mean ye both wouldn't be classed as Americans in this Country. It's only when hear your wife's English accent that'll change that with some people, even if they don't say it to ye're faces. That isn't only in Cork either(believe me). "

Oh no she's been called "oppressor" a couple times.. most people are nice enough to our faces so we'll take it

By *rish_Guy OP   Man
over a year ago

Foxford

All very interesting posts in this thread alright.

Better give a bitter more info about meself, to stay or go & regrets.

I might come across as having regrets in this post or if I was talking about this to people. I don't have any regrets about it or other curvy ball's life has thrown at me over the year's & still is doing so.

I never had the money saved to emigrate, when I was young enough to do it. I wasn't happy about that, when you'd see or hear other's were doing it, that's true. As the year's past & I was to old to get the Visa for them Countries. I realised that I wasn't meant to emigrate to another Country. So I tried to build meself a life here & still am trying to do that. I don't believe in the saying "What's meant for you. Wouldn't pass you by" either. As whatever that's supposed to be, I need it now or VERY soon anyway's. It'll be to late for me & no real good to me. It'll be better with the next generation to have it. Even doe at the time I didn't think of it, nor was I thinking about it. The very last chance for me to emigrate, came to the surfaces 5 to 6 year's ago. 1's again I didn't have the money to do it, aswell as not having a qualification to help be get a job in another country. In the form of a trade or a college degree. So for me personally that door is fully closed & locked. On top of all of that you need to have believe & confidence in yourself, despite what other's think. Which I don't have & never had them either. Also, as I said earlier, I wouldn't have an home base to come back to now. If I went 5 or 6 year's ago. I hope to travel to Australia, New Zealand & Vancouver. I've already been to Toronto. I wouldn't say no to going back now either.

I wasn't asking people, whether I should emigrate or not. If I was thinking like that, I'd HIGHLY unlikely be on here. That said I must thank them for they're positive posts about it.

I do recommend that every young person in this Country to go travelling, while they're in they're 20's, as the visas are easier to get for the different Countries around the world. Weather they come back or not is up to them, at the end of the day.

Like what was said earlier the younger you are or sooner you do certain things in your life. The more likely you'll do them, like leaving home, emigrating, learning to drive,etc. The longer something's are left on the long figure, so to speak, the less likely they'll every happen or you'll do them either.

By *rish_Guy OP   Man
over a year ago

Foxford

Only one of us

Only 1 of ye is actually an American alright. That doesn't mean ye both wouldn't be classed as Americans in this Country. It's only when hear your wife's English accent that'll change that with some people, even if they don't say it to ye're faces. That isn't only in Cork either(believe me).

Oh no she's been called "oppressor" a couple times.. most people are nice enough to our faces so we'll take it "

O right.

over a year ago

Sure it’l be the same in twenty years time ye’ll be grand boy "

Fancy a game of corn hole have to warn you we can play

By *urvygingCouple
over a year ago

Lisburn

When I was 18 I went to America on a 1 year work visa. I had the opportunity to stay on but decided to come home. I've never regretted my decision and I had some great experiences when I was away. Mrs Curvy

By *elfastp83Man
over a year ago

belfast

I couldn't even imagine it. When I go on a holiday for a week/10days,after 3 or 4 days there I want home to Belfast!!! Don't know why,but I just love my home town

By *eardedvillainMan
over a year ago

Bangor N.Ireland

I backpacked in Australia for 2 years and stupidly came home,also have a pall that went over last year and is loving life there and no intention of coming back

Post new Message to Thread