Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

XL Bully type dogs

Jump to newest

By *ontbesillywrapyourwilly OP   Man
42 weeks ago

Tipperary

To be banned in Britain. Will it come in here also?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By * la carteCouple
42 weeks ago

Dublin

"To be banned in Britain. Will it come in here also? "

I don't know but

What are supposed to be the consequences if you do own one? Over there, or here if it is brought in?

42 weeks ago

Tipperary

"To be banned in Britain. Will it come in here also?

I don't know but

What are supposed to be the consequences if you do own one? Over there, or here if it is brought in?"

im not sure yet

By *ombikerMan
42 weeks ago

the right side of the river

Those dogs are just big babies. They look big and strong but all they want is company.

More big brother interference.

By *ildarekinkstersCouple
42 weeks ago

kinkytown

No such thing as a bad breed just bad owners. A lot of scrotes get them to look hard etc and don't give a shit about the dog. I'm not a fan of the breed for personal reasons but I strongly think it's not right.

42 weeks ago

Tipperary

What I will say, is in recent years attacks, fatal ones or ones causing serious harm are nearly always a similar type of dog. I do know of people with these types of dogs though and they are placid. Just to add, i wouldn’t trust any dog around a young baby.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
42 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

I believe these types of dogs are required to be muzzled in public so the risk of attack is v low if this is done. We could do with more enforcement of this though

By *oghunter33Woman
42 weeks ago

on the hill NordWest of

If you only could ban shite owners, that would be much more efficient.

By *ustlooking900Man
42 weeks ago

Donegal

I read somewhere don't know if it's true or not but XL bullys aren't a proper breed so it'll make it difficult to ban them here not sure how true this is tho

42 weeks ago

kinkytown

"I believe these types of dogs are required to be muzzled in public so the risk of attack is v low if this is done. We could do with more enforcement of this though "

They should be by law in Ireland but enforcement is non existent.

42 weeks ago

kinkytown

"If you only could ban shite owners, that would be much more efficient."

By *ursecretmischiefCouple
42 weeks ago

The West

All dogs have the potential to be dangerous, dependong on the circumstances. I think anybody that leaves a dog around a baby or small child is totally irresponsible.

As for these Bully's, they should not exist. Owners might not help the situation, but the sole purpose for these dogs to exist was to hunt wild animals for fur trade many many years ago. Bears, Bison, wild boar.

They were bred for decades specifically to attack those much larger and stronger than them, and would do so until their death. When that trade died, their breeders turned to other blood sports.

Seeing footage last week in the US of one of these literally playing with grown men, as it hunted them for fun. Anything could agrivate or set them off and no owner is going to hold them!

By (user no longer on site)
42 weeks ago

A nasty breed by all accounts ..pitbull mixed with cane Corso and a preso canaria and numerous other lockjaw breeds ..anyone who has 1 of these is asking for trouble, so many horror stories with this breed out if England it's frightening ..people being mauled to death, toddlers having their faces ripped off , who in their right mind would own something like that, it's a status symbol look at me and my dog rubbish

42 weeks ago

I'm unsure how I feel. I do think that potential owners should be vetted and licensed, with strict measures in place for ownership.

A guy a few doors up from me has 6. I don't believe anyone needs 6 of this type of dog. They're kept in his garage. He let's his young daughter walk them (albeit with him) and she's no more than 7 or 8 years old. When he has more than one on a lead he's almost leaning back at a 45° angle to balance them pulling. They're not muzzled when out. It makes me incredibly uneasy.

By *arlTy89Man
42 weeks ago

Dun Laoghaire

"All dogs have the potential to be dangerous, dependong on the circumstances. I think anybody that leaves a dog around a baby or small child is totally irresponsible.

As for these Bully's, they should not exist. Owners might not help the situation, but the sole purpose for these dogs to exist was to hunt wild animals for fur trade many many years ago. Bears, Bison, wild boar.

They were bred for decades specifically to attack those much larger and stronger than them, and would do so until their death. When that trade died, their breeders turned to other blood sports.

Seeing footage last week in the US of one of these literally playing with grown men, as it hunted them for fun. Anything could agrivate or set them off and no owner is going to hold them!

"

But that can be said for most breed of dogs?? Most breeds were bred for different jobs, be it hunting, protection of live stock etc...

I'd strongly disagree with them not existing at all, like previous comments said any dog could turn and yes these are naturally stronger and bigger but again with correct training and knowledge on owning dogs it would make a world of difference! People but dogs without research and wonder why they can't handle them or have problems with owning them

By *oxxxVixenCouple
42 weeks ago

Tipp, Clare,

"What I will say, is in recent years attacks, fatal ones or ones causing serious harm are nearly always a similar type of dog. I do know of people with these types of dogs though and they are placid. Just to add, i wouldn’t trust any dog around a young baby. "

Yes fatal attacks are always a similar type of breed- but I think the fact they are fatal has more to do with the strength in their jaws (plus bad owners). I'd say the ratio of chihuahua attacks are alot higher, fortunately they don't do as much damage.

I used to work in a pound the majority of our aggressive dogs were collies and small terriers

42 weeks ago

The West

"What I will say, is in recent years attacks, fatal ones or ones causing serious harm are nearly always a similar type of dog. I do know of people with these types of dogs though and they are placid. Just to add, i wouldn’t trust any dog around a young baby.

Yes fatal attacks are always a similar type of breed- but I think the fact they are fatal has more to do with the strength in their jaws (plus bad owners). I'd say the ratio of chihuahua attacks are alot higher, fortunately they don't do as much damage.

I used to work in a pound the majority of our aggressive dogs were collies and small terriers"

The example of a collie is proof of a bad owner, These are a reasonably friendly working dog.

And many terriers, if truth be told are just miny versions of the XL Bully. The difference is, your jack Russell, when it flips won't hunt you like that XL bully did in Birmingham last week!

42 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 15/09/23 15:02:53]

42 weeks ago

In reality any dog can do harm or even kill a baby I personally wouldn’t let any dog miniature or XL around children unattended

42 weeks ago

A man in his 50s was mauled to death in stoke on Trent yesterday by 2 of these xl bullys, he was trying to protect his elderly mother

42 weeks ago

I’ve said it before, the whole ‘there’s no bad breeds only bad owners’ is bollox.

The fact is that these dogs have to be intensively trained and monitored constantly so that they DONT attack and kill. Think about it.

42 weeks ago

I trust no dog is the point that I was making

42 weeks ago

The West

"In reality any dog can do harm or even kill a baby I personally wouldn’t let any dog miniature or XL around children unattended "

The amount of people that bring a baby into an environment where a dog was already the pet, and think "aww he wouldn't harm a fly". Those people would rot ya.

I personally know a couple that this happend to with a Bully in the UK. It took a chunk from the toddlers face. The Police wouldn't release the child from hospital until they had a registered cert to confirm the dog was put down!....Like, the police had to call to the house and demand it!...People are strange!

By * la carteCouple
42 weeks ago

Dublin

Consequences of owning a banned dog in the UK - possibility of an "unlimited" fine and/or prison as well as the dog's destruction.

Sounds more like a money spinner to me than anything else with the government just wanting to show they're going to do something about a breed that has probably been in the news lately - because in reality, are the constabulary going to put additional manhours into looking for banned dog owners and breeders and stop importation of these into the country? I doubt it, meaning nothing will change bar we'll hear of a few owners being caught, fined and having their dogs destroyed in the next few months to put on a little show for the public...

Sorry, I'm somewhat cynical

42 weeks ago

"Consequences of owning a banned dog in the UK - possibility of an "unlimited" fine and/or prison as well as the dog's destruction.

Sounds more like a money spinner to me than anything else with the government just wanting to show they're going to do something about a breed that has probably been in the news lately - because in reality, are the constabulary going to put additional manhours into looking for banned dog owners and breeders and stop importation of these into the country? I doubt it, meaning nothing will change bar we'll hear of a few owners being caught, fined and having their dogs destroyed in the next few months to put on a little show for the public...

Sorry, I'm somewhat cynical "

Cynical if you think so but definitely true

42 weeks ago

"In reality any dog can do harm or even kill a baby I personally wouldn’t let any dog miniature or XL around children unattended

The amount of people that bring a baby into an environment where a dog was already the pet, and think "aww he wouldn't harm a fly". Those people would rot ya.

I personally know a couple that this happend to with a Bully in the UK. It took a chunk from the toddlers face. The Police wouldn't release the child from hospital until they had a registered cert to confirm the dog was put down!....Like, the police had to call to the house and demand it!...People are strange!"

I can never understand why people do that

By *oo32Man
42 weeks ago

tipperary

Prob one of the larger breeds of aggressive dog,(just what I've read)

They can get jealous..as can all dogs

They protect their space..as do all dogs

There's a misconception that these dogs can lock their jaws...no dog is capable of this,they have massive jaw strength

Owners should go through a more rigorous procedure before being allowed own them

Some of the scrotes that own these should be allowed a goldfish or a stick insect

It'll surely follow through to here and they'll be banned

42 weeks ago

"Statistics don't lie they are overly represented in nasty incidents and it has nothing to do with owners ..it's a downright nasty breed , I'm glad I carry a knife if I ever saw 1 go on a rampage I'd have no hesitation sticking it"

Who hurt you? Some very nasty comments from you with zero reason to be as nasty as you are

By *og-ManMan
42 weeks ago

somewhere

"Statistics don't lie they are overly represented in nasty incidents and it has nothing to do with owners ..it's a downright nasty breed , I'm glad I carry a knife if I ever saw 1 go on a rampage I'd have no hesitation sticking it"

I'm sure the women you are trying to meet on fab are delighted to hear you carry a knife

By *indenMan
42 weeks ago

naas which is South West of Dublin

Designer dogs breed and cross breed to look, and perhaps act in a particular way, it’s inevitable that a mixture of different breeds may result in unpleasant characteristics in a particular dog.

42 weeks ago

I'm of the opinion it's the owners and not the dog breed that's the problem. That said it's probably only hard lads and sociopaths would want to own a dog like that.

E

By *electableicecreamMan
42 weeks ago

The West

I don't have a dog in this race as a non dog owner but I do have some thoughts.

If I was going to buy a pony for my kids to ride. I wouldn't buy a mule or a race horse.

Because the breeding wouldn't be fit for purpose.

So if a person buys a dog that has been bred for violence then it begs the question, to me, as to why they feel they need to own an animal that is genetically predisposed to aggression.

A race horse isn't a pet

A cow bred to eat isn't a pet

And a fighting dog isn't a pet

42 weeks ago

"I don't have a dog in this race as a non dog owner but I do have some thoughts.

If I was going to buy a pony for my kids to ride. I wouldn't buy a mule or a race horse.

Because the breeding wouldn't be fit for purpose.

So if a person buys a dog that has been bred for violence then it begs the question, to me, as to why they feel they need to own an animal that is genetically predisposed to aggression.

A race horse isn't a pet

A cow bred to eat isn't a pet

And a fighting dog isn't a pet"

I don't own Bullies at all, but I have friends that do and had a guy living beside me with 4 of them and met them out and about many times. They are the sweetest dogs ever and if I could I would have one as a pet in a hearth beat.

Problem isn't the breed or even sometimes the owners. Issue is sometimes the people that breed them for money

By *agic mike 1983Man
42 weeks ago

dooradoyle

I have 2 and a French bulldog

It’s not the breed it’s the owners

By *agic mike 1983Man
42 weeks ago

dooradoyle

How is a xl bully bred for fighting?

Dog fighting predominantly the dogs used are pit bulls which are cross bed and inbred with a variety of bulldogs not just one breed

Also Kerry blues surprisingly are used

I’ve owned bulldogs, pit bulls and own 2 xl bully’s now

My 2 are fantastic pets and in no way aggressive

It’s not the breed it’s the owners

42 weeks ago

"Statistics don't lie they are overly represented in nasty incidents and it has nothing to do with owners ..it's a downright nasty breed , I'm glad I carry a knife if I ever saw 1 go on a rampage I'd have no hesitation sticking it

Who hurt you? Some very nasty comments from you with zero reason to be as nasty as you are"

Oh sowwey to hear that

42 weeks ago

"Statistics don't lie they are overly represented in nasty incidents and it has nothing to do with owners ..it's a downright nasty breed , I'm glad I carry a knife if I ever saw 1 go on a rampage I'd have no hesitation sticking it

I'm sure the women you are trying to meet on fab are delighted to hear you carry a knife

"

I'm a tradesman I always have a knife on me , we all have knives on our kitchens I don't understand what you're trying to get at

42 weeks ago

"How is a xl bully bred for fighting?

Dog fighting predominantly the dogs used are pit bulls which are cross bed and inbred with a variety of bulldogs not just one breed

Also Kerry blues surprisingly are used

I’ve owned bulldogs, pit bulls and own 2 xl bully’s now

My 2 are fantastic pets and in no way aggressive

It’s not the breed it’s the owners "

Rubbish talk.. statistics don't lie..why are xl bullies over represented in nasty incidents, it's people like you who are enabling this to continue , you won't be saying that when your dog's maul you to death or disfigure a family member

42 weeks ago

We don't see Belgian Malinois talked about and for me they are the ones I would be afraid of. Not by a softy like an XL

42 weeks ago

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12522917/Pictured-Man-mauled-death-XL-Bully-dogs-protecting-elderly-mother-Rishi-Sunak-bans-animals-boy-10-attacked.html

42 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 15/09/23 18:40:47]

42 weeks ago

Most Certainly will.

What ever they do over in that place, the west brits in the Dail will follow on. The Irish government are like sheep

By *agic mike 1983Man
42 weeks ago

dooradoyle

Why are people from one area always in the paper for violent crimes does that make all people from that area criminals

I’ve owned staffs, pitbulls and now two xl bully’s in my lifetime and never once has one of my dogs attacked or disfigured anyone

By *agic mike 1983Man
42 weeks ago

dooradoyle

[Removed by poster at 15/09/23 18:51:27]

42 weeks ago

"Belgian malionas are used primarily as security and attack dogs

I own two Xls

And I’d happily have 20 in my house before I’d have a Belgian devil dog in my house "

Think u misunderstood my stance on this. Missed

By *electableicecreamMan
42 weeks ago

The West

I can't get my head around it.

There's far more people with said dogs that don't have problems than do. That's agreed.

Unsavoury characters have these dogs as status symbols and that's honestly unfortunate to the good people that have them too and probably doubly unfortunate for the dog.

The dog is innocent. It's an animal.

So it comes to people, owners and breeders.

My inexperienced petless brain would logically avoid any dog that had not just a reputation for, but a genetic disposition towards, aggressive behaviour.

That was a lot of words just to ask:

Why do you own these dogs knowing the stats, the rep and the risk?

I'm asking without casting dispersion, judgement or blame. It's a worthy discussion.

My ex grew up with Rhodesian Ridgeback which for anyone who doesn't know we're bred to hunt lions.

By *electableicecreamMan
42 weeks ago

The West

And just so you really know where I'm coming from. I'm going to buy two bunny's next week.

By *electableicecreamMan
42 weeks ago

The West

I'll also add that once as a child I had my entire head from chin to forehead clamped firmly in the jaws of an Alsatian.

I think the disclosure of bias is fair

By *ooking Fun!Man
42 weeks ago

NEWTOWNARDS

[Removed by poster at 15/09/23 19:57:35]

By *ooking Fun!Man
42 weeks ago

NEWTOWNARDS

Disgrace they are to be banned

By * la carteCouple
42 weeks ago

Dublin

I would not welcome a ban as I don't believe it will solve the problem.

I would have a certain bias towards certain restricted breeds although B&H and Delectable's comments very much resonate with me - partly the owners are the problem because many just don't have a clue what's involved in raising an obedient and safe puppy/dog and there just are certain character traits ingrained in certain breeds that have more potential for being dangerous. Yes, any dog can attack and cause injury and death but the size and weight behind a Rhodesian Ridgeback compared to a terrier - I know who I'd prefer to take on mid launch!

I am a dog owner and have experienced first hand the huge difference in the temperament and need to train/engage with one breed of dog over another (but not a restricted breed).

Lurcher was first - sofa dog, don't need much exercise or stimulation. Once through the puppy phase never any issues. Same for my whippet.

The giant working breed puppy we decided on over many many months is an entirely different story and by God, have I got my work cut out for me!!! A dog known for its gentle temperament and as a velcro dog but if you don't know what you're doing and what you're potentially getting into, it can turn out a nightmare.

Don't get me wrong, I love my puppy. Unfortunately she's come with a whole host of medical issues nobody could foresee, as well as behavioural issues.

After the last 4 months I can't see myself repeating a puppy experience again anytime soon

And it does make me wonder how easily trainable some of these restricted breeds are - the teething stage with my 20kg puppy was a nightmare (and I had various training programs and a trainer involved).

I would be very much in favour of a compulsory training program for the acquisition of a restricted breed but that in itself is something I wouldn't trust our government to enforce effectively, efficiently and safely either

By *andR2019Couple
42 weeks ago

Nunya

The German use the Zuchttauglichkeitsprüfung test and Canada have the FCI, I would rather we implement something like this and mandatory dog handling training than just our right banning and destroying of dogs.

By * la carteCouple
42 weeks ago

Dublin

"The German use the Zuchttauglichkeitsprüfung test and Canada have the FCI, I would rather we implement something like this and mandatory dog handling training than just our right banning and destroying of dogs.

"

These look more like the equivalent of the Irish Kennel Club...

From what I read, they are standards for pedigree, where the association recognises certain breeds but not others - it has nothing to do with the regulation of safeguarding what in Ireland or the UK are restricted breeds, or breeds that by law have to be muzzled and leashed.

42 weeks ago

"The German use the Zuchttauglichkeitsprüfung test and Canada have the FCI, I would rather we implement something like this and mandatory dog handling training than just our right banning and destroying of dogs.

From what I read, they are standards for pedigree, where the association recognises certain breeds but not others - it has nothing to do with the regulation of safeguarding what in Ireland or the UK are restricted breeds, or breeds that by law have to be muzzled and leashed.

"

The IKC is a clique in its self

By *andR2019Couple
42 weeks ago

Nunya

"

They are similar, however the KC don’t do enough background checks and are regularly called out by the RSPCA for its failings to meets the same standards as the ZTP. Rather than just checking if they’re related, the ZTP tests to check if the Sire and Dam are fit dogs physically and mentally before allowing them to be registered this helps reduce the changes of a dog attack due to poor genetics. Even Professor Carri Westgarth and Dr John Tulloch from the University of Liverpool’s School of Veterinary Science have stated the same again recently after these attacks.

I would love for there to be a law that all dog must be leashed, muzzled and even further. The current license model in the UK is paying £10 a year and that’s it off you go and that’s an issue too.

By *adger BrocMan
42 weeks ago

Co. Cork

Mot a dag person.

Very rarely you hear of anyone being bitten by a horse

By * la carteCouple
42 weeks ago

Dublin

They are similar, however the KC don’t do enough background checks and are regularly called out by the RSPCA for its failings to meets the same standards as the ZTP. Rather than just checking if they’re related, the ZTP tests to check if the Sire and Dam are fit dogs physically and mentally before allowing them to be registered this helps reduce the changes of a dog attack due to poor genetics. Even Professor Carri Westgarth and Dr John Tulloch from the University of Liverpool’s School of Veterinary Science have stated the same again recently after these attacks.

I would love for there to be a law that all dog must be leashed, muzzled and even further. The current license model in the UK is paying £10 a year and that’s it off you go and that’s an issue too. "

Yes, I get where you're coming from with regards to better regulation and checks of pedigree dogs, meaning good quality stock with less behavioural and health issues are generated. German efficiency is hard to beat

Backyard breeders and puppy farms are a big problem.

I don't agree with muzzling every dog or necessarily leashing every dog either. It just wouldn't be an enforceable law. Unenforceable laws make a mockery of the system.

I don't think there's a right answer but there have to be better ways going forward to minimise dog attacks.

By *issMercedesMrFordCouple
42 weeks ago

wexford

I’ve and XL bully and a staffy, they are babies, its how u bring them up, so i think owners need to be penalised not the dog, ive had all breeds and the most aggressive ive had is a jack russell x

By *ilthyNightsCouple
42 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

"I’ve and XL bully and a staffy, they are babies, its how u bring them up, so i think owners need to be penalised not the dog, ive had all breeds and the most aggressive ive had is a jack russell x"

The owners obviously have responsibility... but clearly a dog who attacks someone is dangerous and needs to be put to sleep.

By *ublinguy99Man
42 weeks ago

Dublin South

certainly hope so

42 weeks ago

"I’ve and XL bully and a staffy, they are babies, its how u bring them up, so i think owners need to be penalised not the dog, ive had all breeds and the most aggressive ive had is a jack russell x"

I guess the thing is a Jack Russell is unlikely to overpower you, no matter how aggressive it is.

42 weeks ago

"I’ve and XL bully and a staffy, they are babies, its how u bring them up, so i think owners need to be penalised not the dog, ive had all breeds and the most aggressive ive had is a jack russell x

I guess the thing is a Jack Russell is unlikely to overpower you, no matter how aggressive it is. "

With a pair of jaws that would rip you asunder

By *artinaAndrewCouple
42 weeks ago

mountmellick

God I hope not

By *ergalMan
42 weeks ago

Wandering between the city and East Cork

"Mot a dag person.

Very rarely you hear of anyone being bitten by a horse"

Happened me once, feker bite me on the shoulder, and another when I was cutting the twine off a bale for them to eat....

By *rish_GuyMan
42 weeks ago

Foxford

"Mot a dag person.

Very rarely you hear of anyone being bitten by a horse

Happened me once, feker bite me on the shoulder, and another when I was cutting the twine off a bale for them to eat...."

You mightn't hear about it alright. They do bit or try to anyway's. If they don't, they'll try to give you a knick, if they can at all.

By *xstevenxxMan
42 weeks ago

Ashbourne

My view - If you own any dangerous dogs - be prepared for the consequences if something were to happen

If it was your child or family member that got mauled could you live with the guilt

By *irdyxWoman
41 weeks ago

dublin/ Birmingham

Having seen the video and what these dogs did to that poor man if not banned they should be muzzled when out and in an extremely secure garden . I have a french bulldog he's small and lazy and very mellow but it's still in him if someone shouts at me he goes wilde trying to protect me .

By *southguyMan
41 weeks ago

D18

"All dogs have the potential to be dangerous, dependong on the circumstances. I think anybody that leaves a dog around a baby or small child is totally irresponsible.

"

I agree with this, saying that nobodys ever been mauled to death by a king charles.

I think if we are going to crack down on breeds we should start doing it too for all the types that cant breathe etc too.

41 weeks ago

"I believe these types of dogs are required to be muzzled in public so the risk of attack is v low if this is done. We could do with more enforcement of this though "

Fully agree , l was in the work van last week , and a young lady was walking a bulldog terrier, no muzzle,if that dog made up it's mind to go she wouldn't have a chance of holding it ,it's strength alone was frightening, a human wouldn't have any chance never mind a child...all aggressive breeds are supposed to be muzzled in public.

By *hinbutlong1Man
41 weeks ago

lucan

Its all about how they’re treated as a pup..

no such thing as an aggressive breed

By *om TangoMan
41 weeks ago

aughnacloy monaghan area

I trust dogs, I don’t trust humans. Dogs are loyal. Very few humans are loyal.

41 weeks ago

Tipperary

Thing thing is a dog could be well treated as a pup and then gets to adulthood and one day decides to attack, be it a human or out of protection for its owner etc. if it’s a bully type dog you have no hope of holding it. It’s the strength/ power in the dog that’s the issue. Prob all need to be muzzled.

41 weeks ago

"Its all about how they’re treated as a pup..

no such thing as an aggressive breed"

Yup there is.. Look it up when you get a chance and you'll see what's aggressive breeds are,there's a list.

41 weeks ago

The West

"Mot a dag person.

Very rarely you hear of anyone being bitten by a horse"

Horses are the greatest bastards for biting, especially other horses!

As for those Shetland Ponys!!

By *arbieandbaldyCouple
41 weeks ago

Dublin, Liverpool

A nasty breed by all accounts ..pitbull mixed with cane Corso and a preso canaria and numerous other lockjaw breeds ..anyone who has 1 of these is asking for trouble, so many horror stories with this breed out if England it's frightening ..people being mauled to death, toddlers having their faces ripped off , who in their right mind would own something like that, it's a status symbol look at me and my dog rubbish "

Absolutely bollocks this post. You obviously never kept one. It all depends on the owner as many have stated above. And how the the dogs are kept and raised from pups. The problem today is stupid people who like to treat dogs as children. I kept these dogs for years and never had a problem with them. I just buried my last 2 before Christmas last year, both lived to they were 10. Never any problems, never showed any aggression to me our the family. They are a slob of a breed if kept right. You blame the owner not the dog.

By *-4pleasureCouple
41 weeks ago

Belfast

A nasty breed by all accounts ..pitbull mixed with cane Corso and a preso canaria and numerous other lockjaw breeds ..anyone who has 1 of these is asking for trouble, so many horror stories with this breed out if England it's frightening ..people being mauled to death, toddlers having their faces ripped off , who in their right mind would own something like that, it's a status symbol look at me and my dog rubbish

Absolutely bollocks this post. You obviously never kept one. It all depends on the owner as many have stated above. And how the the dogs are kept and raised from pups. The problem today is stupid people who like to treat dogs as children. I kept these dogs for years and never had a problem with them. I just buried my last 2 before Christmas last year, both lived to they were 10. Never any problems, never showed any aggression to me our the family. They are a slob of a breed if kept right. You blame the owner not the dog."

Out of interest, what made you decide to select them to be your pets, out of the dozens of other breeds out there ?

By *ilthyNightsCouple
41 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

It's largely irrelevant whether its the owners "fault" or the breed of dog. The fact is there have been a number of horrific incidents, and that needs to be stopped. If we can't rely on owners or enforcement then a ban is logical.

41 weeks ago

Absolutely bollocks this post. You obviously never kept one. It all depends on the owner as many have stated above. And how the the dogs are kept and raised from pups. The problem today is stupid people who like to treat dogs as children. I kept these dogs for years and never had a problem with them. I just buried my last 2 before Christmas last year, both lived to they were 10. Never any problems, never showed any aggression to me our the family. They are a slob of a breed if kept right. You blame the owner not the dog."

I think you'll find it's you who talking absolute bollox..XL bullies have been responsible for half of all attacks on people and other dogs in the past two years - and 70% of all dog attack deaths. A total of six people have died in XL bully attacks in the UK in recent months,, Now if you want to stick your head in the sand and ignore this that's your problem I just hope for your sake your dog doesn't attack another dog let alone a human and they all say my dog would never do this bla bla bla he's so quiet he wouldn't hurt a fly and out of the blue it goes mental and attacks all around it..have fun with those dogs because 1 day they will have fun with you and not a nice type at that

By *ootprints1629Couple
40 weeks ago

somewhere in moray

"I read somewhere don't know if it's true or not but XL bullys aren't a proper breed so it'll make it difficult to ban them here not sure how true this is tho"

Thesis true, defining them as he said will be hard because their is so many "types"

By *idnight RamblerMan
39 weeks ago

Pershore

Another death by XL Bully today. These are just guns with 4 legs. Nobody is allowed to swagger around with a gun so why can they get away with a vicious dog? The answer of course is that nobody has the balls to do anything - a complete lack of leadership and decision making. So more hapless kids will get torn to shreds.

By *uby30Couple
39 weeks ago

Cork

People turn on people too. ( not just dogs)

By *inkywife1981Couple
39 weeks ago

A town near you

"People turn on people too. ( not just dogs)"

Good job we don't keep them as pets then.

By *ombikerMan
39 weeks ago

the right side of the river

"Another death by XL Bully today. These are just guns with 4 legs. Nobody is allowed to swagger around with a gun so why can they get away with a vicious dog? The answer of course is that nobody has the balls to do anything - a complete lack of leadership and decision making. So more hapless kids will get torn to shreds."

It is not the Dog it is the idiots that have them.

A few years ago it was pit bulls, before that it was rottweilers, before that it was dobermans before that it was German Shepherds. I'm sure boxers made it in there at one stage also.

But the common link is the posers standing around street corners wanting to be track suit gangsters.

You don't let any dog out free to wander the streets of leave a child alone with any dog.

If only it was possible to ban idiots.

By *inkywife1981Couple
39 weeks ago

A town near you

"Another death by XL Bully today. These are just guns with 4 legs. Nobody is allowed to swagger around with a gun so why can they get away with a vicious dog? The answer of course is that nobody has the balls to do anything - a complete lack of leadership and decision making. So more hapless kids will get torn to shreds.

It is not the Dog it is the idiots that have them.

A few years ago it was pit bulls, before that it was rottweilers, before that it was dobermans before that it was German Shepherds. I'm sure boxers made it in there at one stage also.

But the common link is the posers standing around street corners wanting to be track suit gangsters.

You don't let any dog out free to wander the streets of leave a child alone with any dog.

If only it was possible to ban idiots. "

It's true to say irresponsible people in control of these breeds of dog are the problem but it still boils down to these breeds being the the only breeds that can take down a grown man let alone a child.

Western Europe doesn't have mass shootings like the USA because we have tight gun control, the gun control argument in the states is a similar to the dangerous breeds argument in my opinion.

Post new Message to Thread