Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Hotels in Belfast

Jump to newest

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

I'm try to find a 'good' hotel in Belfast for meet, but encountered two problems at the hotels I visited: the IBis on Dublin Road, in the City Centre, does not accept cash payments-you must pay by card; and the Holiday Inn, near Europa Buscentre will accept cash payments, but require photo ID and a cash deposit of £100 that is returned if the room is undamaged and nothing is missing!

Any other verified suggestions, that have been tried and tested?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *otownkid1967Man
over a year ago

Portlaoise

The Balmoral or Ivanhoe have been used by fabbers before. I know plenty of hotels ask for the €100 deposit, seems to be the normal these days.

By *scouple07Couple
over a year ago

louth, Ireland

Maldron city centre, great hotel

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Is paying by card an issue?

over a year ago

"Is paying by card an issue?"

I guess he wants discretion

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

Every hotel wants a pre authorised credit card to protect themselves when you get there

The booking sites say you can pay at the hotel but when you get there they don't accept cash

over a year ago

"Every hotel wants a pre authorised credit card to protect themselves when you get there

The booking sites say you can pay at the hotel but when you get there they don't accept cash "

What are they afraid will happen?

Like someone won't show up or a room gets thrashed?

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

"Every hotel wants a pre authorised credit card to protect themselves when you get there

The booking sites say you can pay at the hotel but when you get there they don't accept cash

Like someone won't show up or a room gets thrashed? "

Room getting thrashed or stuff getting nicked or, let's be honest what about the state of the bed after a fab meet especially group play

It's also a way of keeping undesirables out of the hotels as far as they're concerned

There's a conversation taking place on Twitter at present

Travellers can't book into hotels because they don't have credit cards but do have Debit cards and the hotels all changed their terms and conditions to only allow credit cards

Some Travellers have taken discrimination cases and lost because everyone that doesn't have a credit card is excluded....so equality for all....no discrimination

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Room getting thrashed or stuff getting nicked or, let's be honest what about the state of the bed after a fab meet especially group play

It's also a way of keeping undesirables out of the hotels as far as they're concerned

Travellers can't book into hotels because they don't have credit cards but do have Debit cards and the hotels all changed their terms and conditions to only allow credit cards

Some Travellers have taken discrimination cases and lost because everyone that doesn't have a credit card is excluded....so equality for all....no discrimination

"

I don't have a credit card. Are you saying I'll struggle to book a hotel in the future?

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

A LEADING Irish hotel has successfully challenged a Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) ruling that it had discriminated against a homeless Traveller couple and their children by refusing them three nights’ accommodation.

The Charleville Park Hotel, part of the So Hotel/Atlantic Troy Group, appealed the WRC finding and a resultant fine of €22,000 to Cork Circuit Appeals Court.

The hotel argued it had never discriminated against the family - but had only applied its strict policy of insisting that all guests book and pay via a personal credit card.

Hotel officials insisted it treats everyone equally - but has strict policies in place which must be adhered to by all guests.

Judge James O'Donoghue said that the matter hinged on whether the hotel was entitled to have a booking policy which required a credit card.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

I've never had an issue paying cash in an hotel. I've even booked an hotel using a card that expired before the date of the reservation and when I asked if I could use a different card or cash, both options were available, whichever suited me.

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

DH I use hotels a lot and I've never been able to just use a debit card to pay for it.

Even using day rate hotels Holiday Inn Belfast that's mentioned in first post is one I use and I can't pay by cash or debit card only credit card

I paid the last hotel by revolut card so they're acceptable at least

over a year ago

"I've never had an issue paying cash in an hotel. I've even booked an hotel using a card that expired before the date of the reservation and when I asked if I could use a different card or cash, both options were available, whichever suited me. "

Same here. I don't have a credit card, so I would book using a debit card and pay in cash on the day.

Is this a recent thing?

over a year ago

"

I'd imagine a group swinging meet would be on the list of undesirables, like who wants to clean a bed destroyed with bodily fluids even if it is there job, the 100 deposit would go a long way in cleaning up any mess

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

Do chain hotels make a difference I wonder

over a year ago

I'd imagine a group swinging meet would be on the list of undesirables, like who wants to clean a bed destroyed with bodily fluids even if it is there job, the 100 deposit would go a long way in cleaning up any mess"

I would hate to be the person changing the bed.

Surely the mattress would be ruined???

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

I'd imagine a group swinging meet would be on the list of undesirables, like who wants to clean a bed destroyed with bodily fluids even if it is there job, the 100 deposit would go a long way in cleaning up any mess

"

I asked about buying the mattress from my hotel room in Westport once....best sleep I ever had and they told me they cost over 1500 euro and that was over 10 yrs ago

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

"DH I use hotels a lot and I've never been able to just use a debit card to pay for it.

Even using day rate hotels Holiday Inn Belfast that's mentioned in first post is one I use and I can't pay by cash or debit card only credit card

"

I booked one in November and there was no issue booking it by debit card.

I can imagine the more exclusive hotels go with credit card only.

over a year ago

"

Any fluids would soak into the mattress if it didn't have a protective sheet underneath so it would be ruined.. Maybe a soiling fee should apply

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

"DH I use hotels a lot and I've never been able to just use a debit card to pay for it.

I can imagine the more exclusive hotels go with credit card only."

When you got to check in did they ask for credit card

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

When you got to check in did they ask for credit card "

No.

I'm afraid it's just you BM.

Everyone else on this thread can pay cash or debit card.

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

When you got to check in did they ask for credit card

No.

I'm afraid it's just you BM.

Everyone else on this thread can pay cash or debit card. "

I've a face like a well slapped arse ....must be me

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

When you got to check in did they ask for credit card "

I've never used a credit card in an hotel. Debit card or cash only. I spent a weekend in an hotel less than a month ago and paid by debit card.

By *scouple07Couple
over a year ago

louth, Ireland

We always use debit card or cash to pay for hotels in the North or south and never had any problems

over a year ago

Stayed in the Hilton in Belfast a few weeks ago, paid cash, no problems or deposits needed.

If you don't want a charge on your card, maybe order a revolut card

over a year ago

I think most banks issue cards with both credit and debit functions now, I know mine has

By *otownkid1967Man
over a year ago

Portlaoise

Haven't had a credit card in years and have no problem paying by debit card here or abroad.

By *lim and louiseCouple
over a year ago

dromore

There's plenty of premier inns in and around Belfast,but you need to pre book I think

over a year ago

I was in Belfast a few months ago, family member was rushed into hospital up there, there’s a hotel at the end of the sandy row, they accepted cash and dident look for ID from me

By *apncookMan
over a year ago

Somewhere you aren't

"I was in Belfast a few months ago, family member was rushed into hospital up there, there’s a hotel at the end of the sandy row, they accepted cash and dident look for ID from me "

Sandy Row may not be to everyone's tastes.... Or more the tastes of Sandy Row may not stretch to everyone.

We should all get covid and then taste isn't an issue, I guess is the moral of the story!

By *LIVEANDKICKING100Man
over a year ago

DUBLIN

Use booking.com. secure the room by card and tick the pay at accommodation option. When you arrive simply say you'll be paying by cash. Card not charged.

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

"Use booking.com. secure the room by card and tick the pay at accommodation option. When you arrive simply say you'll be paying by cash. Card not charged."

I book all my hotels this way....it must be just me

By *iscreet Suck n GoMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Have you read Trip Advisor on the iBis on Dublin Road, they supply ear plugs for the noise, cheap place to stay tho. Come stay with me lol.

Post new Message to Thread