Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Undercover: Sexual Harassment -The Truth

Jump to newest

By *egsy OP   Woman
over a year ago

Meath

Did anybody watch this on channel 4?

I found it very interesting, every women you know will have had some experience of sexual Harassment, and I think all men should sit down and watch it with their sons and have a conversation about respecting women.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Watched 10 minutes yesterday and had to change to something less depressing,scary and worrisome.

Not that anything was of big surprise as every woman experiences some of that shit in some way or the other, but the extent it is gruesome.

Yes educating the young male generations is key, unfortunately parenting became more of a friendship kinda thing and respect in general is a fast fading virtue of the last century.

I think the mothers should be there too when watching this...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Watched 10 minutes yesterday and had to change to something less depressing,scary and worrisome.

Not that anything was of big surprise as every woman experiences some of that shit in some way or the other, but the extent it is gruesome.

Yes educating the young male generations is key, unfortunately parenting became more of a friendship kinda thing and respect in general is a fast fading virtue of the last century.

I think the mothers should be there too when watching this..."

Was there less sexual harassment in the last century when the parenting style was stricter?

That's an actual question and not an argument against what you were saying because I've no clue

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Haven't seen this but it's not something I will be watching either because I'd be surprised if there was anything surprising in it.

Someone in another thread is attempting to suggest it's a cultural issue which we all know it can be but only in some cases.

I don't have sons to advise and have no need to change my own behaviour so I'll give it a miss.

No-one can deny that it happens everyday.

The only time I've ever resorted to violence was in self defence when attacked by a member of staff for taking him to a disciplinary over his sexual harassment of a female colleague.

By *egsy OP   Woman
over a year ago

Meath

"Haven't seen this but it's not something I will be watching either because I'd be surprised if there was anything surprising in it.

Someone in another thread is attempting to suggest it's a cultural issue which we all know it can be but only in some cases.

I don't have sons to advise and have no need to change my own behaviour so I'll give it a miss.

The only time I've ever resorted to violence was in self defence when attacked by a member of staff for taking him to a disciplinary over his sexual harassment of a female colleague. "

But until men educate themselves and call out other mens behaviour towards women as unacceptable it will continue.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"Haven't seen this but it's not something I will be watching either because I'd be surprised if there was anything surprising in it.

The only time I've ever resorted to violence was in self defence when attacked by a member of staff for taking him to a disciplinary over his sexual harassment of a female colleague.

But until men educate themselves and call out other mens behaviour towards women as unacceptable it will continue."

Agreed but for all those men like me who have never been guilty of harassment and have always called it out there is nothing new to learn.

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

"Watched 10 minutes yesterday and had to change to something less depressing,scary and worrisome.

Was there less sexual harassment in the last century when the parenting style was stricter?

That's an actual question and not an argument against what you were saying because I've no clue "

Dunno Corky, I get your point, I didn't look at stats or anything, it's just my observation as a grumpy old woman.

Not talking about 'stricter' parenting, just partenting as opposed to be your child's best friend or pal. Big part of that is respect, to respect the people around you and to respect the environment and that your actions have consequences. Unfortunately our throw away lifestyle is heading in the other direction.

It is tricky to 'measure' those correlations, besides that there so many other factors at play.

However I think it's fair to say the exposure to sexual harassment today is certainly higher than it was before mobile technology.

By *egsy OP   Woman
over a year ago

Meath

But until men educate themselves and call out other mens behaviour towards women as unacceptable it will continue.

Agreed but for all those men like me who have never been guilty of harassment and have always called it out there is nothing new to learn. "

Im sure there are men out there that have never harrassed a women...however when 97% of women have been sexually harrassed, id say those men are very much in the minority. A lot of the time its brushed off as just having a laugh, boys will be boys etc.

over a year ago

That's an actual question and not an argument against what you were saying because I've no clue

Dunno Corky, I get your point, I didn't look at stats or anything, it's just my observation as a grumpy old woman.

Not talking about 'stricter' parenting, just partenting as opposed to be your child's best friend or pal. Big part of that is respect, to respect the people around you and to respect the environment and that your actions have consequences. Unfortunately our throw away lifestyle is heading in the other direction.

It is tricky to 'measure' those correlations, besides that there so many other factors at play.

However I think it's fair to say the exposure to sexual harassment today is certainly higher than it was before mobile technology. "

Stricter may have been a por choice of words. I get what you mean though and I agree to a point.

I think there is a place for both styles.

As you said it's so hard to compare generation to generation as its a whole new environment.

Education has to be key. I cringe at how I behaved as a teen/early 20s which is something I would definitely look to address if there was ever a mini corky

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

Because of the job one of the things we're trained to watch out for is women who have taken too much alcohol or drugs

I see it happening a lot....men coming over and trying to lead them away to a place where they won't be seen by others.

There's safe sentences on posters in female toilets women can use in clubs to staff so they know if they are getting harassed and can help them to safety

It's feckin awful that it has to be done but as a father of a 22 yr old woman I'm glad its there

over a year ago

That's an actual question and not an argument against what you were saying because I've no clue "

You mean the last century where it was legal to sleep with your wife without consent? Priests were fiddling kids up and down this country? Women were locked up for having kids out of wedlock? You couldn’t work after you married if you were a woman?

That century? And I’m only assuming you meant the 20th century… will you come off it

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Agreed but for all those men like me who have never been guilty of harassment and have always called it out there is nothing new to learn.

Im sure there are men out there that have never harrassed a women...however when 97% of women have been sexually harrassed, id say those men are very much in the minority. A lot of the time its brushed off as just having a laugh, boys will be boys etc."

I have 3 daughters in their late 20s and early 30s and the last time we had a conversation about this only the youngest was able to say she had experienced any form of sexual harassment.

I don't have brothers but asked my sisters a few years ago if they had suffered it and they said not that they could remember.

I have only ever come across 3 work related incidents, two of which were down to "banter" and those involved apologised immediately. The third was when I was attacked.

I can't defend anyone who is guilty of it but usually those who are repeat offenders have no desire to listen to anyone else's opinion including that of their peers.

over a year ago

You mean the last century where it was legal to sleep with your wife without consent? Priests were fiddling kids up and down this country? Women were locked up for having kids out of wedlock? You couldn’t work after you married if you were a woman?

That century? And I’m only assuming you meant the 20th century… will you come off it "

I was asking more on the individual level than a societal one.

I get your points.

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

I think the mothers should be there too when watching this..."

But most mothers have experienced this in person - why the need to watch a harrowing documentary when you don't want to be reminded what you've been through?

It's necessary not only to educate men on respect and socially acceptable behaviour.

It's also necessary to educate women on how to spot predatory behaviour and how to respond appropriately.

I say this as someone who has not only experienced sexual harassment as an adult on occasions but as someone who was harassed, abused and groomed as a child...not only me but also my siblings - not by my parents or another family member but by someone who my parents trusted.

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

But most mothers have experienced this in person - why the need to watch a harrowing documentary when you don't want to be reminded what you've been through?

It's necessary not only to educate men on respect and socially acceptable behaviour.

It's also necessary to educate women on how to spot predatory behaviour and how to respond appropriately.

I say this as someone who has not only experienced sexual harassment as an adult on occasions but as someone who was harassed, abused and groomed as a child...not only me but also my siblings - not by my parents or another family member but by someone who my parents trusted."

Obviously nobody has to watch it. I just think if possible it shouldn't be a boy's club only thing and to be reminded of the severity of it and that even women in your closest circle are exposed to such behaviour.

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

I say this as someone who has not only experienced sexual harassment as an adult on occasions but as someone who was harassed, abused and groomed as a child...not only me but also my siblings - not by my parents or another family member but by someone who my parents trusted.

Obviously nobody has to watch it. I just think if possible it shouldn't be a boy's club only thing and to be reminded of the severity of it and that even women in your closest circle are exposed to such behaviour. "

I agree! And it's not only women who are subject to sexual harassment.

It needs to start with children, all children. They need to be raised in such a manner that they have an awareness of predatory behaviour, to give them the confidence to deal with a situation, that they have a responsible adult they can confide in, someone they can trust who will have their back.

We (my sisters and I) didn't have either the confidence to confront our abuser, nor the confidence (mixed with all sorts of other emotional hangups) to tell our parents early on. Once we did, it was handled woefully and remains an unresolved issue in our family to this day.

over a year ago

Obviously nobody has to watch it. I just think if possible it shouldn't be a boy's club only thing and to be reminded of the severity of it and that even women in your closest circle are exposed to such behaviour.

It needs to start with children, all children. They need to be raised in such a manner that they have an awareness of predatory behaviour, to give them the confidence to deal with a situation, that they have a responsible adult they can confide in, someone they can trust who will have their back.

We (my sisters and I) didn't have either the confidence to confront our abuser, nor the confidence (mixed with all sorts of other emotional hangups) to tell our parents early on. Once we did, it was handled woefully and remains an unresolved issue in our family to this day."

100 per cent

My parents were so busy protecting me from strangers that they forgot about the possibility of predatory behaviour within the family, and if it had been raised, denial would no doubt have been the reaction.

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

We (my sisters and I) didn't have either the confidence to confront our abuser, nor the confidence (mixed with all sorts of other emotional hangups) to tell our parents early on. Once we did, it was handled woefully and remains an unresolved issue in our family to this day.

100 per cent

My parents were so busy protecting me from strangers that they forgot about the possibility of predatory behaviour within the family, and if it had been raised, denial would no doubt have been the reaction."

And they do say it's usually someone you know and trust

over a year ago

100 per cent

My parents were so busy protecting me from strangers that they forgot about the possibility of predatory behaviour within the family, and if it had been raised, denial would no doubt have been the reaction.

And they do say it's usually someone you know and trust "

Well of course, because they're the ones with access and opportunity

Post new Message to Thread