Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

M50

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

How do people cope with that road every day, glad I only have to go on it a handful of times a year

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *outh_of_EdenMan
over a year ago

visiting

"How do people cope with that road every day, glad I only have to go on it a handful of times a year "

Its impossible and worse since people started to work from home. More peoplecdriving the two days they are in the office and the roads in general are jammers.

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

Just dont go northbound and you'll be grand.....tonight was particularly bad traffic backed up on all roads M7,M4 heading northbound

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It's a carpark, definitely a top deck needed and some of the spaghetti junctions off it are mental too

By *ol_ieMan
over a year ago

Dublin west

Averages up to 8 accidents a day which is mad when all you have to do is go in the same direction as the other cars around you and not hit anyone.

But they are on the phones and swapping lanes without indicating so it's a shit show every day..

That and the n4 maynooth to leixlip which is the same every morning

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

A well the insurance companies and the cartel of fuel companies are laughing at us,and that’s with the tin foil hat off

Fuck better put it back on it was a nicer place

S

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

I have been to Dublin on many occasions, but have never once been on the M50 although I crossed over it on hundreds of occasions.

I have driven on the M25 around London and on the perpherique around Paris, but the M50 looks like a nightmare: incessant nose to tail, choc a bloc traffic.

Delighted to say that my driving days are now over.

By *ubberNumbersCouple
over a year ago

dublin

You'd have to wonder what sort of shit show would be going on in Dublin without it though.

Tunnel from shankill to the port would ease some of the chaos but that dream has long been put to bed now

over a year ago

"I have been to Dublin on many occasions, but have never once been on the M50 although I crossed over it on hundreds of occasions.

I have driven on the M25 around London and on the perpherique around Paris, but the M50 looks like a nightmare: incessant nose to tail, choc a bloc traffic.

"

How much was that costing u at the time

By *yesgreenMan
over a year ago

north and south

"I have been to Dublin on many occasions, but have never once been on the M50 although I crossed over it on hundreds of occasions.

How much was that costing u at the time

"

Why was a flyover not thought off or is that not possible?

By *ilverfox74Man
over a year ago

dublin offaly

It’s something you get used to.

By *ravoJonnyMan
over a year ago

Bristol

As someone mentioned above, people have no idea how to use lanes or their indicators.

People skipping the queue and then cutting in suddently at the last minute is one of the major factors, especially when entering Nbound at the Red Cow.

By *scouple07Couple
over a year ago

louth, Ireland

Been saying it for years there needs to be a road built cutting across from m1 to m7 as that would take alot of the traffic away from m50

If you think about it, if you want to travel from anywhere north of Dublin to the likes of limerick, Galway or Cork (or vise versa) you have to travel through the m50

By *olouWoman
over a year ago

Swords

No L or N plates should be allowed on it ,been cut off twice in the one day by drivers not knowing exits and no indicators ....just fly across willy nilly,does my head in.Rant over

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

"Been saying it for years there needs to be a road built cutting across from m1 to m7 as that would take alot of the traffic away from m50

If you think about it, if you want to travel from anywhere north of Dublin to the likes of limerick, Galway or Cork (or vise versa) you have to travel through the m50

"

There's an outer ring road on the plans for the last 20 years heading from Portlaoise junction to Drogheda to take limerick/Cork traffic off M7 heading to Belfast

Will it ever happen

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

"No L or N plates should be allowed on it ,been cut off twice in the one day by drivers not knowing exits and no indicators ....just fly across willy nilly,does my head in.Rant over"

L plate drivers are only permitted on the motorway if accompanied by an instructor with relevant qualifications or someone who has held a full license for a certain length of time as far as I'm aware.

N drivers have passed their tests and why shouldn't they be permitted full use of the roads. Everyone needs to start somewhere. We've all been novices at some point.

Just because a car displays one or both stickers, doesn't mean it's the driver who is either the L or N driver. Plenty of people out there with youngsters using their cars.

Plenty of people driving years who can't drive, have formed bad habits, plenty who learned when motorways and roundabouts didn't exist in Ireland.

Also some people find themselves in strange territory and may just not be sure of directions, their exits and hence be a little less confident. Just because you drive the same road every day, doesn't mean I do.

And we all have bad days where our attention isn't where it should be.

I can understand the frustration of the M50 car park but patience and a little good will goes a long way

over a year ago

The main issue is that irish people are not taught to drive on motorways and never learn the correct etiquette.

1.People believe it’s up to the person already on the motorway to facilitate them as they join the motorway. Wrong

2.Middle lane drivers, enter the motorway and immediately get to the middle lane where they sit at 85 and feel ‘safe’ and fucking oblivious to the chaos they cause

3.Lane hoppers, cause unnecessary braking and then it’s a snowball effect behind

I spend most my days traversing the M50 and N7/M7….. it’s hard

By *scouple07Couple
over a year ago

louth, Ireland

"Been saying it for years there needs to be a road built cutting across from m1 to m7 as that would take alot of the traffic away from m50

There's an outer ring road on the plans for the last 20 years heading from Portlaoise junction to Drogheda to take limerick/Cork traffic off M7 heading to Belfast

Will it ever happen "

I've heard exactly the same bog man, really doubt it will happen though

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Problem is insufficient public transport. If there was a luas or dart alongside the m50, it could/would take off work commuters. Also Dublin airport is most likely the only European airport with no decent public transport. If there was you'd had again less cars on the M50. But the airport link was once again pushed out by another couple of years, while Eamonn Ryan was sleeping in the dail 9r to occupied with the next round of carbon tax levy.

As for new roads, every new road will create more traffic. This is a proven traffic engineer fact.

over a year ago

If everyone left their cars at home and cycled on the M50 it would be a lot safer for everyone

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

"If everyone left their cars at home and cycled on the M50 it would be a lot safer for everyone "

The day after the country closed down for covid I had to go to work and I pulled in at 8.30am on The M50 to take a picture.......no traffic either direction at Naas Road exit

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

"If everyone left their cars at home and cycled on the M50 it would be a lot safer for everyone "

But then everyone would be cunts

over a year ago

"If everyone left their cars at home and cycled on the M50 it would be a lot safer for everyone

But then everyone would be cunts"

By *awtypair20777Couple
over a year ago

Dublin

"No L or N plates should be allowed on it ,been cut off twice in the one day by drivers not knowing exits and no indicators ....just fly across willy nilly,does my head in.Rant over

L plate drivers are only permitted on the motorway if accompanied by an instructor with relevant qualifications or someone who has held a full license for a certain length of time as far as I'm aware.

N drivers have passed their tests and why shouldn't they be permitted full use of the roads. Everyone needs to start somewhere. We've all been novices at some point.

Just because a car displays one or both stickers, doesn't mean it's the driver who is either the L or N driver. Plenty of people out there with youngsters using their cars.

Plenty of people driving years who can't drive, have formed bad habits, plenty who learned when motorways and roundabouts didn't exist in Ireland.

Also some people find themselves in strange territory and may just not be sure of directions, their exits and hence be a little less confident. Just because you drive the same road every day, doesn't mean I do.

And we all have bad days where our attention isn't where it should be.

I can understand the frustration of the M50 car park but patience and a little good will goes a long way

"

By *awtypair20777Couple
over a year ago

Dublin

The M50 is not a motorway as people seem to believe

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

Its an urban motorway but with too many junctions compared to other Motorways