Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 30/11/22 22:01:58]

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Sean Quinn was without doubt, an exceptionally capable entrepreneur who made the very best of what he earned; with one fatal flaw he bet too much on Anglo Irish Bank; a business and a risk he did not adequately understand!

over a year ago

A man that built a business out of hard work,then lead up the garden path by the age old thing greed

over a year ago

"Sean Quinn was without doubt, an exceptionally capable entrepreneur who made the very best of what he earned; with one fatal flaw he bet too much on Anglo Irish Bank; a business and a risk he did not adequately understand!"

Anglo Irish Bank were the financial runation of Ireland , they borrowed money from other banks to make their accounts look good and what happened afterwards was a financial disgrace , the people of this Country will be paying it back for years.

By *lue eyesMan
over a year ago

cavan

"A man that built a business out of hard work,then lead up the garden path by the age old thing greed "
You just have to look at his employees and the way they stood by him to know he is a good decent honest man who brought serious employment to Cavan and Fermanagh

over a year ago

"A man that built a business out of hard work,then lead up the garden path by the age old thing greed You just have to look at his employees and the way they stood by him to know he is a good decent honest man who brought serious employment to Cavan and Fermanagh "

He should have stopped there he didn’t and neither did his advisors

At the end of the day he was the boss unfortunately

over a year ago

Cullen,Quinn,Flynn they all were subject too greed by their advisors if you ask me that is just my opinion

By *errardNo8Man
over a year ago

Galway/Mayo

I met him. Really nice guy.

No matter what he had or what he became. He still went down the local every week to play cards with the farmers and locals.

What a guy.

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

"I met him. Really nice guy.

No matter what he had or what he became. He still went down the local every week to play cards with the farmers and locals.

What a guy."

he gambled and lost and now every person in this country is paying for it and you say what a guy

over a year ago

What a guy.he gambled and lost and now every person in this country is paying for it and you say what a guy "

We and our children are not paying for his mistakes but the people that we voted in,they let it happen

over a year ago

What a guy."

After the shitshow he and the banks created most of the country couldn't afford to go to the local for 3 years..

He owed them the money so really the buck stops with him.

By *errardNo8Man
over a year ago

Galway/Mayo

What a guy.he gambled and lost and now every person in this country is paying for it and you say what a guy "

Here, we're all entitled to our opinions.

I met him and liked him.

I don't know his whole story. What he did or didn't do.

But man to man. He's a nice bloke

By *errardNo8Man
over a year ago

Galway/Mayo

What a guy.he gambled and lost and now every person in this country is paying for it and you say what a guy

We and our children are not paying for his mistakes but the people that we voted in,they let it happen "

I do believe this is true though.

All the locals and people he employed or his companies employed, all actually speak very highly of him.

He's a good man. Just fucked shit up

over a year ago

What a man Sean Quinn was and still is today, they stripped him of what he had, as he didn’t give a fuck for any government official he did what he wanted, not like all the rest Gutless pricks

By *uriousirish7Man
over a year ago

cork

Excellent documentary, most we probably knew before and some possibly we didn’t. I admire his start and his determination and the way he seemed to stay grounded but maybe in the end it was greed brought him down. Must have done something right along the way because the loyalty that he received from thousands of locals in what was a forgotten place before he put it in the map was phenomenal.

over a year ago

"What a man Sean Quinn was and still is today, they stripped him of what he had, as he didn’t give a fuck for any government official he did what he wanted, not like all the rest Gutless pricks

"

Exactly he did what he wanted.

Look where that got us....

over a year ago

We may thank our government for putting it on us not Sean Quinn

over a year ago

"Sean Quinn was without doubt, an exceptionally capable entrepreneur who made the very best of what he earned; with one fatal flaw he bet too much on Anglo Irish Bank; a business and a risk he did not adequately understand!"

A pathalogical liar though , he was hiding our money , and still hidden abroad , remember we STILL paying his debt to this day

over a year ago

"A man that built a business out of hard work,then lead up the garden path by the age old thing greed You just have to look at his employees and the way they stood by him to know he is a good decent honest man who brought serious employment to Cavan and Fermanagh "

Bandit country

over a year ago

What a guy."

Really ? Jesus wept

over a year ago

"What a man Sean Quinn was and still is today, they stripped him of what he had, as he didn’t give a fuck for any government official he did what he wanted, not like all the rest Gutless pricks

Exactly he did what he wanted.

Look where that got us...."

Ah that’s not a bit fair when you don’t mention any of the total pricks that we vote in every term

I think they should be held accountable no one else we’ve let them off for long enough

Especially when there’s a regulator for this and that and still no one is accountable

And never lose their jobs

over a year ago

"

There is a pattern emerging here re comments - border counties , the west and midlands supporting this lad , and civilisation not .

over a year ago

He never done f all for me but you have too think

over a year ago

Just look at the new hospital that’s the most expensive building in the world and they have no idea of the final cost yet ?

Yet if we go to borrow money we have to have and know a final cost

Great lads we have up there

By *ardyboy54321Man
over a year ago

Fermanagh

A legend for what he done for this part of the world yes he fucked up but haven't we all at some point

over a year ago

Our next president should be Sean Quinn

over a year ago

" A legend for what he done for this part of the world yes he fucked up but haven't we all at some point "

Ya

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

What a guy.he gambled and lost and now every person in this country is paying for it and you say what a guy

We and our children are not paying for his mistakes but the people that we voted in,they let it happen "

no you are wrong he gambled he lost and we are paying for it all the 2.4 billion all because of greed nothing else more wants more.

over a year ago

I do have sympathy for him and his family. Thought they had it all. Regulator should have been informed before he got carried away. I dont think he was the paymaster but someone close to him perhaps. He created jobs and added to the economy unfortunately we have to carry the burden. Irish Independent would remind us daily if they could. Any way we're still breathing. What a house for a social event.....whos gonna call him? Who wants to be sprawled up against the glass bay window giving the golfers their moneys worth lol

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

"I do have sympathy for him and his family. Thought they had it all. Regulator should have been informed before he got carried away. I dont think he was the paymaster but someone close to him perhaps. He created jobs and added to the economy unfortunately we have to carry the burden. Irish Independent would remind us daily if they could. Any way we're still breathing. What a house for a social event.....whos gonna call him? Who wants to be sprawled up against the glass bay window giving the golfers their moneys worth lol"
in all fairness its some house

over a year ago

We and our children are not paying for his mistakes but the people that we voted in,they let it happen no you are wrong he gambled he lost and we are paying for it all the 2.4 billion all because of greed nothing else more wants more. "

I think it’s actually 64 b our leaders got a loan of not one bond holder was burned

over a year ago

We and our children are not paying for his mistakes but the people that we voted in,they let it happen no you are wrong he gambled he lost and we are paying for it all the 2.4 billion all because of greed nothing else more wants more.

I think it’s actually 64 b our leaders got a loan of not one bond holder was burned "

Why because they were French & Germans

By *ligoMan
over a year ago

East Mayo

What he cost the country would have built the Hospital .

Greedy Fuck€€ wanted to own the bank.

By *unnerbenMan
over a year ago

Dublin / Cork

Disgrace they even allowed him the opportunity to have a documentary . A bandit , crook , waster and in the provos pockets .

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

It's almost school book classic stuff, from rise to fall, from a smart fearless entrepreneur to a narcissistic greedy mogul who talks about himself in the third person; the way money distorts your head....

He's still in denial of his massive f@#% up, tries to blame others and saying he was hard done. We even get the tears in the end of the documentary. Ffs!

Tax payer has to pay for his gamble while he lives in a massive house and has buried millions in Switzerland and India.

And that's before the name Kevin Lunney gets even mentioned.

over a year ago

"It's almost school book classic stuff, from rise to fall, from a smart fearless entrepreneur to a narcissistic greedy mogul who talks about himself in the third person; the way money distorts your head....

He's still in denial of his massive f@#% up, tries to blame others and saying he was hard done. We even get the tears in the end of the documentary. Ffs!

Tax payer has to pay for his gamble while he lives in a massive house and has buried millions in Switzerland and India.

And that's before the name Kevin Lunney gets even mentioned.

"

Totally agree, I don't for one second believe his denials of involvement in that barbaric attack.

By *3nsesMan
over a year ago

Dublin

We and our children are not paying for his mistakes but the people that we voted in,they let it happen

All the locals and people he employed or his companies employed, all actually speak very highly of him.

He's a good man. Just fucked shit up "

You sound just like the people who shook that rapists hand in Kerry.

By *asual777Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

Feel uncomfortable saying nice things about him giving the consequences of his greed on insurance premiums and what happened to Kevin lunney

I do think he Quinn should have spoken out more on this and condemned it .

By *ursecretmischiefCouple
over a year ago

The West

I've said it on a other thread, but it always amuses me how people love the Quinn rags to riches story.

If you belive that, I've some magic beans to sell you!

By *olouWoman
over a year ago

Swords

Jesus it was very interesting, really enjoyed it,

By *th dub buddiesCouple
over a year ago

Dundrum

....its called GREED

By *ensualandslow321Man
over a year ago

Tullamore

"Sean Quinn was without doubt, an exceptionally capable entrepreneur who made the very best of what he earned; with one fatal flaw he bet too much on Anglo Irish Bank; a business and a risk he did not adequately understand!....its called GREED"

By *th dub buddiesCouple
over a year ago

Dundrum

" A legend for what he done for this part of the world yes he fucked up but haven't we all at some point "
....not to the tune of 2.5 billion.....

By *adger BrocMan
over a year ago

Co. Cork

"What he cost the country would have built the Hospital .

Greedy Fuck€€ wanted to own the bank."

over a year ago

"I've said it on a other thread, but it always amuses me how people love the Quinn rags to riches story.

If you belive that, I've some magic beans to sell you!"

Do you accept PayPal I'm stumped for secret santa this year

over a year ago

The documentary was completely one sided, biased against Sean Quinn. None of the so called experts actually stated as to why Sean Quinn could not have been left his business and pay of his debt over x amount of years.

over a year ago

"The documentary was completely one sided, biased against Sean Quinn. None of the so called experts actually stated as to why Sean Quinn could not have been left his business and pay of his debt over x amount of years."

Exactly, because it was rte that aired it. The quinn businesses were making 200million PROFIT a year, if they had left him he would have paid his debit back and carried on. But the regulator (the same one who turned a blind eye to what anglo was up to) would only accept taking the businesses. Ask yourselves how he could still owe 2.8billion when they took all the assets worth more than that?

Unfortunately ireland is full of people who hate to see others do well for themselves.

I met him, i worked for him and he was a gentleman. He was just a culchie who got too big for the inner circle and they took him down because of it. He forgot his place in their eyes.

over a year ago

"The documentary was completely one sided, biased against Sean Quinn. None of the so called experts actually stated as to why Sean Quinn could not have been left his business and pay of his debt over x amount of years.

Exactly, because it was rte that aired it. The quinn businesses were making 200million PROFIT a year, if they had left him he would have paid his debit back and carried on. But the regulator (the same one who turned a blind eye to what anglo was up to) would only accept taking the businesses. Ask yourselves how he could still owe 2.8billion when they took all the assets worth more than that?

Unfortunately ireland is full of people who hate to see others do well for themselves.

I met him, i worked for him and he was a gentleman. He was just a culchie who got too big for the inner circle and they took him down because of it. He forgot his place in their eyes."

I never met him, what he achieved was nothing short of phenomenal, i'm sick of watching documentaries where most of peoples opinions are based on emotions, Deal in facts!!! there must have been some lawyer / accountant that could have explained why Sean quinn didn't get his companies back, based on fact, pure fact and legal! As for Fintan o Toole, don't get me started. Why is it all we hear is opinions!!!! Facts, facts and more facts.

It was riveting documentary but disapointing due to the lack of fact!

By *ancy38Woman
over a year ago

galway

"I've said it on a other thread, but it always amuses me how people love the Quinn rags to riches story.

If you belive that, I've some magic beans to sell you!"

What do you mean

By *abbingMan
over a year ago

Belfast

[Removed by poster at 01/12/22 19:12:23]

By *abbingMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"The documentary was completely one sided, biased against Sean Quinn. None of the so called experts actually stated as to why Sean Quinn could not have been left his business and pay of his debt over x amount of years.

I met him, i worked for him and he was a gentleman. He was just a culchie who got too big for the inner circle and they took him down because of it. He forgot his place in their eyes."

leaving folks loyalties out of it - the reality is he gambled everything unnecessarily and lost - so he effectively took himself down - only now the tax payer is carrying the bill!

Whether his businesses were profitable or not isn't really the point (as I'll admit I used to think the same thing) but if you cant pay your bills and go bankrupt, your creditors have every right to try and recoup some of what they are owned by selling the assets

-sadly hundreds of profitable businesses went under during the 2008 crash as they were saddled with debt they couldnt pay when it was called in (mostly from leveraging themselves to the hilt trying to jump on the property bandwagon)

For all the employment he created and loyal following he has, he should be subject to the same rules as every other business in the country was!

I genuinely respect any self made person who can grow a business empire like that from scratch and create employment in an area that's economically deprived. But that respect is quickly eroded with what has happened since with assets off shore being brushed under the carpet, look-warm condemnations of criminality and attacks on folk. It all leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many especially when they are picking up the bill!

But when all is said and done he's not exactly living in a caravan worrying about whether he can turn on the heating this winter!!

over a year ago

I met him, i worked for him and he was a gentleman. He was just a culchie who got too big for the inner circle and they took him down because of it. He forgot his place in their eyes.

leaving folks loyalties out of it - the reality is he gambled everything unnecessarily and lost - so he effectively took himself down - only now the tax payer is carrying the bill!

Whether his businesses were profitable or not isn't really the point (as I'll admit I used to think the same thing) but if you cant pay your bills and go bankrupt, your creditors have every right to try and recoup some of what they are owned by selling the assets

-sadly hundreds of profitable businesses went under during the 2008 crash as they were saddled with debt they couldnt pay when it was called in (mostly from leveraging themselves to the hilt trying to jump on the property bandwagon)

For all the employment he created and loyal following he has, he should be subject to the same rules as every other business in the country was!

I genuinely respect any self made person who can grow a business empire like that from scratch and create employment in an area that's economically deprived. But that respect is quickly eroded with what has happened since with assets off shore being brushed under the carpet, look-warm condemnations of criminality and attacks on folk. It all leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many especially when they are picking up the bill!

But when all is said and done he's not exactly living in a caravan worrying about whether he can turn on the heating this winter!!"

Im sure everyone here is 100% honest with their taxes and grants etc.

And i think pretty much everyone would try their best to protect their assets for their families future.

Bertie didnt even have a bank account after all, but thats forgiven cos hes a dublin lad

By *ightower2021Man
over a year ago

donegal

"The documentary was completely one sided, biased against Sean Quinn. None of the so called experts actually stated as to why Sean Quinn could not have been left his business and pay of his debt over x amount of years."

this is exactly what I took from the program if he had of been left his business he would of paid the debt back himself not the tax payers instead the government took the business give them away and was left with the debt

over a year ago

The West

Creditors nay have been owed, but thousands of businesses across Ireland and the world had to restructures their debt after the financial crash.

A lot of the Quinn/Anglo debacle was a distraction from the real failure, the failure of our government and a financial regulator asleep at the wheel. Out playing golf with those they were supposed to be regulating.

By *etergemmaCouple
over a year ago

South Dublin Area

"Creditors nay have been owed, but thousands of businesses across Ireland and the world had to restructures their debt after the financial crash.

A lot of the Quinn/Anglo debacle was a distraction from the real failure, the failure of our government and a financial regulator asleep at the wheel. Out playing golf with those they were supposed to be regulating."

Cant say i know enough about it, just thought it was pure greed on his part but what is mad, just saw an article on facebook from some news paper from Fermanagh and not a single negative comment on the post, with 100s of replies.

By *etergemmaCouple
over a year ago

South Dublin Area

And also you need only look at ya man Ronan, he went to the wall and now hes back building massive buildings in ballsbridge wtf

over a year ago

The West

"And also you need only look at ya man Ronan, he went to the wall and now hes back building massive buildings in ballsbridge wtf"

Wallace was one of the worst. He and his Mrs actively took as much money/loans in wages as they could before folding the business. Should be in Jail, instead some people voted him as an MEP.

By *etergemmaCouple
over a year ago

South Dublin Area

"And also you need only look at ya man Ronan, he went to the wall and now hes back building massive buildings in ballsbridge wtf

Wallace was one of the worst. He and his Mrs actively took as much money/loans in wages as they could before folding the business. Should be in Jail, instead some people voted him as an MEP."

Ahh cmon hes a man of the people a socialist

By *xplicitMan
over a year ago

donegal

Think lots of people have missed the subtleties within the programming , it heavily hints as to what actually went on within the repossession and redistribution of the business, but then it also very undoubtedly highlighted the horrendous violence orchestrated and paid for ,which really for any decent minded individual ,should pretty much put a full stop to any level of admiration of anyone involved.

If you can’t decipher who was responsible, well

Like all stories re-told, mud has been applied.

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

With Sean Quinn, there are still several unidentified "elephants in the room" that may take many decades to disentangle!

He rose spectacularly and then fell catastrophically to the detriment of the entire country and also future generations.

He'll never end up on the streets, but many people list everything as a result of his recklessness

By *errardNo8Man
over a year ago

Galway/Mayo

He's a good man. Just fucked shit up

You sound just like the people who shook that rapists hand in Kerry. "

You sound like something else but my parents taught me to keep my mouth shut if I've nothing nice to say

By *asual777Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

Ireland, like many other places , Is also full of people who put people into good and bad baskets , and no amount of evidence will change that .

over a year ago

Of course he was the architect of his own downfall I.e CFD's, however a bank hatching a plan to lend money to a major shareholder to buy shares in said bank!

The same bank that borrowed 4 Billion form another bank, for one day, just to skew there balance sheet and make it look like everything was rosy! and thus give Sean Quinn the opinion that the bank was on the up?

The only question i have, is the following:

If Sean Quinn had been given back control of his companies, would the end result have been better for the taxpayer, i.e would he have been able to pay back all that he owed.

Th reason Sean Quinn has so much support in the border regions, is that he gave a whole generation of people in the area the option of not emigrating!

By *peasinapod1Couple
over a year ago

dublin

We’ll if he was making half a billion profit from all his companies it’s not rocket sense he could of payed it back .

over a year ago

"We’ll if he was making half a billion profit from all his companies it’s not rocket sense he could of payed it back . "

It is also very interesting that IBRC offered him a deal while the court case was ongoing! The case must not of been as clear cut!

over a year ago

He may have been well liked by his employees, but he rolled the dice and lost, playing a game he didn't understand and was poorly advised. So we all pay the quinn tax on insurance now. Still questions over assets been transferred into different names and holding companies and the missing millions?

By *etergemmaCouple
over a year ago

South Dublin Area

Reminds me of that sketch from dave mcsavage.

"But he built the road"

By *ombikerMan
over a year ago

the right side of the river

this is exactly what I took from the program if he had of been left his business he would of paid the debt back himself not the tax payers instead the government took the business give them away and was left with the debt "

There were too many politician figures tied into financial institutions and the like of VHI and CRH that the Quinn group was serious competition to. None of his actual business lost money. But too many had an interest in getting rid of the competition.

He should have started his own bank instead of investing in an existing one.

By *ackf1012Man
over a year ago

carlow

and what about the good he done the jobs he created jobs that payed tax vat that was payed on products his business produced . Think how much tax his employees payed because they had jobs he created. that tax take was spent to fund public services over the years . Yes he shouldn't have got involved in Anglo he bought into a business where the management were as crucked as fuck .

over a year ago

Totally agree

By *abbingMan
over a year ago

Belfast

What a guy.he gambled and lost and now every person in this country is paying for it and you say what a guy and what about the good he done the jobs he created jobs that payed tax vat that was payed on products his business produced . Think how much tax his employees payed because they had jobs he created. that tax take was spent to fund public services over the years . Yes he shouldn't have got involved in Anglo he bought into a business where the management were as crucked as fuck . "

Arguably any shrewd business man should have known not to bet the entire house on one stock...particularly a falling one! - whether he was poorly advised or sold a dummy by Anglo Mgt, someone with his experience, success and any degree of common sense should have known that was a big gamble - perhaps there was too much ego or a sense of being too big to fail involved!

While he undoubtedly created jobs and livelihoods in an area where they were thin on the ground - giving someone a job doesn't make you a saint!

you cant fail to be impressed with what Quinn built and where he achieved it, and the Quinn Group was an understandable source of pride locally, - for those in a rural area to have one of their own standing along side the most successful business men in the world is undeniably impressive

- but despite the finger pointing, no one forced him to bet it all on Anglo, so its hard to conclude anything other than he was master of his own downfall and the violence and attacks in his name since has tainted the image of the success story in the eyes of many.

Regardless of who orchestrated the attacks, I thought it was striking in the show how the response to the most serious attack wasn't outright unequivocal condemnation, but to initially raise the point as to why it might have happened to the individual in question....as if there ever a get out clause for abduction and torture in civilized society!

The casual nature to some of the blatant law breaking and financial misconduct was also striking, be it taking too much cash out of the insurance co. - putting assets beyond reach of creditors or buying a huge undeclared stake in Anglo - all of which he admitted were wrong, but seemed unable to grasp the seriousness of these breaches. Its interesting how folk will overlook their own improprieties so easily when they feel they've been wronged by others!

I guess this is one of those things that will likely continue to polarize opinion - but the show was an interesting watch regardless of your point of view!

By *raladsCouple
over a year ago

athlone westmeath

He was a great man !

He was a greedy man !

But he should have been left the business s because he was well fit to pay the money back !

Alan Dukes gave it away then to lunney etc , it was never mentioned what was paid for the business s ??

They bought them for next to nothing, And the tax payer made foot the bill , Why didn’t they give Quinn the chance to try pay it back , Alan dukes wanted to destroy Quinn , Alan dukes know about business?? He wouldn’t run an ice cream van ffs ??????? ,Why was Goodman baled out ? But not Quinn !

Because Quinn had no time for political people , Goodman was handing brown envelopes to them , It all comes down to politics. And it was plain to be seen Quinn didn’t care for political people.

By *eddybear37Man
over a year ago

everywhere kildare longford

"He was a great man !

He was a greedy man !

But he should have been left the business s because he was well fit to pay the money back !

Alan Dukes gave it away then to lunney etc , it was never mentioned what was paid for the business s ??

They bought them for next to nothing, And the tax payer made foot the bill , Why didn’t they give Quinn the chance to try pay it back , Alan dukes wanted to destroy Quinn , Alan dukes know about business?? He wouldn’t run an ice cream van ffs ??????? ,Why was Goodman baled out ? But not Quinn !

Because Quinn had no time for political people , Goodman was handing brown envelopes to them , It all comes down to politics. And it was plain to be seen Quinn didn’t care for political people.

"

I totally agree and if that man had been giving 12 months he cud have turned things around he is some man

Post new Message to Thread