Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Electrician

Jump to newest

By *ayo13 OP   Man
over a year ago

Claremorris

Any Electrican on here.

I got quote from local guy to put in 2 sockets and it seems way too expensive.

Would anyone here have an idea roughly how much to install 2 new electric sockets..

thanks.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ay_Gatsby_D4Man
over a year ago

City Centre, Dublin, Belfast

I’m sure the price was a bit of a shock….

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

To be fair it really depends. Is the wiring there. Does a wall need chasing and conduit putting in. Is it a complicated cable run. The cost would reflect the complexity of the job.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've a question for a plumber how much would you charge to put ina water softener? I was quoted 750euro

By *ub23Man
over a year ago

wandering

How long is a piece of string every job is different

over a year ago

"Any Electrican on here.

Would anyone here have an idea roughly how much to install 2 new electric sockets..

thanks. "

When you say install 2 sockets what does that entail?

Are the cables already in place?

over a year ago

"To be fair it really depends. Is the wiring there. Does a wall need chasing and conduit putting in. Is it a complicated cable run. The cost would reflect the complexity of the job."

Just like that

By *appyhotwifeCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

"Any Electrican on here.

thanks. "

Depends where you want them.

Can’t really price on just sockets.

But if it’s a mad price,

Sparks probably doesn’t want the job.

over a year ago

"Any Electrican on here.

thanks. "

Upstairs or downstairs ? the quickest way is of course wall mounted or surface mounted, if the distance is small enough and the sockets themselves or the cable can be hidden some way will of course be the cheapest but if it was me and was going to get two sockets in downstairs l would go surface mounted as it's both cheaper and quicker , upstairs might be a bit different as regards studding and going back to the main board , like every job everything is different in a house to put in services after.

By *ayo13 OP   Man
over a year ago

Claremorris

Thanks for all the comments.

Ah ya guess depends what has to be done.

But he didn’t even assess the place ..just gave quote of 250 euros. Maybe that’s good..

Just wasn’t sure.

It’s a bungalow just want sockets in hallway. Fairly simple I thought but then what would I know..

appreciate messages.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

If there's a socket on the other side if the wall it's a simple job to drill through and add a socket. I'd have charged €50-75 labour

If it's not then it can get really expensive really quickly and will be messy and need redecorating.

By *appyhotwifeCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

"If there's a socket on the other side if the wall it's a simple job to drill through and add a socket. I'd have charged €50-75 labour

If it's not then it can get really expensive really quickly and will be messy and need redecorating."

Plus the clean up costs.

Can’t expect a sparks to clean up too lol

By *exesrangerMan
over a year ago

city

Ah Jesus lads you're making some song and dance any putting in a couple of sockets for the poor woman. It's not a job for a qualified spark but I'm sure you'd get a much more favourable price from a apprentice. And before someone say it.... its not even classed as "minor works" if just adding a socket or two to an existing circuit.

Wave a couple of cool crisp perfume smelling 50 pound notes at the apprentice and boom you can charge your vib in private again

By *riplexx69Man
over a year ago

come find out

"I've a question for a plumber how much would you charge to put ina water softener? I was quoted 750euro "
is that including the water softener and was it one in a shed or under a sink

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

"Ah Jesus lads you're making some song and dance any putting in a couple of sockets for the poor woman. It's not a job for a qualified spark but I'm sure you'd get a much more favourable price from a apprentice. And before someone say it.... its not even classed as "minor works" if just adding a socket or two to an existing circuit.

Wave a couple of cool crisp perfume smelling 50 pound notes at the apprentice and boom you can charge your vib in private again "

Think the OP is all man

over a year ago

"How long is a piece of string every job is different "

It depends on what he needs money for.

If his net purchase is small if will be cheap enough.

But if he needs a new van you are fucked.

By *ohng69Man
over a year ago

athenry

"Any Electrican on here.

thanks. "

Are you talking a double socket or 2 separate sockets?

By *ayo13 OP   Man
over a year ago

Claremorris

There’s a socket directly behind on the other wall in a different room..

By *ayo13 OP   Man
over a year ago

Claremorris

Double sockets 2 different ones.

Any one here for

Mayo that would do the job?

over a year ago

"I've a question for a plumber how much would you charge to put ina water softener? I was quoted 750euro "

Cheap

By *exesrangerMan
over a year ago

city

"Ah Jesus lads you're making some song and dance any putting in a couple of sockets for the poor woman. It's not a job for a qualified spark but I'm sure you'd get a much more favourable price from a apprentice. And before someone say it.... its not even classed as "minor works" if just adding a socket or two to an existing circuit.

Wave a couple of cool crisp perfume smelling 50 pound notes at the apprentice and boom you can charge your vib in private again

Think the OP is all man "

Ah.... man woman he she they him where who when what thee hell who even knows anymore

By *cl2010Couple
over a year ago

cork

I'd say get on YouTube and have a go yourself, it's really not that complicated. It's 35 euro in materials with some new 2.5 square cable. Turn the power off, have a go and if it doesn't work you're still calling an electrician

You'll always take pride in those sockets afterwards too

By *Sparkie.Man
over a year ago

Ratoath

Dont attempt to have a go yourself, firstly you will null and void your house insurance if it goes wrong never mind potentially killing yourself. Stay in your lane I say. Electrical work has to be carried out by a certified electrician.

By *Sparkie.Man
over a year ago

Ratoath

I paid €650 for supply n fit of mine 2 years ago so €750 isnt far off

By *cl7840Man
over a year ago

Donegal

"There’s a socket directly behind on the other wall in a different room.. "

150 plus material of they're both on opposite of a wall to an existing socket

over a year ago

"There’s a socket directly behind on the other wall in a different room.. "

Turn off the power before doing anything

Simple job so just drill a hole through the far side.. Feed some 2.5 through enough to connect each socket, fix the socket box to the wall, small drill bit to make the holes, use rawl plugs and screws to fix it to wall, brown=live blue=neutral green/yellow=earth, splice cables connect them up and that's it done, did some electrical work in my youth

By *elfastblondMan
over a year ago

Belfast

That makes a change, most people in here are trying to make things harder

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

"There’s a socket directly behind on the other wall in a different room..

150 plus material of they're both on opposite of a wall to an existing socket"

Max! It sounds like a pretty forward job. 150 would be a day's fee. Installing two sockets taking the feed from an existing one doesn't take up a whole day.

In other words op, 250 is too much. Some electricians totally exploit the situation and charge crazy fees.

By *appyhotwifeCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

[Removed by poster at 25/11/22 09:30:38]

By *appyhotwifeCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

Max! It sounds like a pretty forward job. 150 would be a day's fee. Installing two sockets taking the feed from an existing one doesn't take up a whole day.

In other words op, 250 is too much. Some electricians totally exploit the situation and charge crazy fees. "

At €150 day rate I’d seriously question the qualifications

By *ub23Man
over a year ago

wandering

Don’t think €150 would cover a full registered spark with insurance /van diesel costs . €150 cash yes but that’s harder to get these days

over a year ago

250 sounds reasonable considering the price of materials lately.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

I can turn my hand to most things including small electrical jobs but I've been trying to get tradesmen to carry out 2 repair jobs since February that were beyond my skills.

They were quoted at £600 each back then by numerous companies but I was told there was a waiting list.

One guy came back in September looking for £1600 for one job due to increased material costs.

Materials in February were £200 and they are now £255 so I told him to fuck off and had it done a couple of weeks ago for just over £700.

I can understand the difficulties of increased material costs but the job itself remains exactly the same so put the price up by 25% but don't take the piss unless you don't care about repeat business or word of mouth recommendations.

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

In other words op, 250 is too much. Some electricians totally exploit the situation and charge crazy fees.

At €150 day rate I’d seriously question the qualifications "

Countryside, Claremorris, not Dublin and yes we speak of a cash deal.

By *appyhotwifeCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

Countryside, Claremorris, not Dublin and yes we speak of a cash deal. "

Oh

I wouldn’t know anything about cash jobs!

By *inxnmasterCouple
over a year ago

naughty valley

"Don’t think €150 would cover a full registered spark with insurance /van diesel costs . €150/ d cash yes but that’s harder to get these days "

mWe offer that cash but cannot find anyone to do the job , do you know an electrician in Cork ?

By *aney JoyTV/TS
over a year ago

North Dublin

After you have done that one then you can do a 4 way lightswitch upstairs and downstairs. If Sparkys quote stupid money they dont want the job but if someone accepts the price then thwy are happy out

over a year ago

Countryside, Claremorris, not Dublin and yes we speak of a cash deal. "

Cash jobs or nixers are too dodgy for an electrician to take on, all it takes is a dispute with the customer and you’re reported to RECI

I don’t do nixers any more for this reason

By *ursecretmischiefCouple
over a year ago

The West

"

Cash jobs or nixers are too dodgy for an electrician to take on, all it takes is a dispute with the customer and you’re reported to RECI

I don’t do nixers any more for this reason "

Electricians are probably the best organised workers in Ireland as regards unions and regulation. Union fights their corner and the regulator keeps them in line.

They are scared shitless of RECI, and its probably not a bad thing!

over a year ago

"Thanks for all the comments.

Ah ya guess depends what has to be done.

But he didn’t even assess the place ..just gave quote of 250 euros. Maybe that’s good..

Just wasn’t sure.

It’s a bungalow just want sockets in hallway. Fairly simple I thought but then what would I know..

appreciate messages. "

Great price

By *rKeefyMan
over a year ago

Ashton

This is why I don't do house bashing.

Install these sockets will you, and don't ruin my new wall paper.

While you are here can you just.....

DIYer took a feed from light circuit to power some sockets and wondered why the breaker kept tripping

By *anysicoMan
over a year ago

cork

Carpenter here €150-200 for full day cash , anymore is robbery for a cash job , greedy cunts

By *ongsockMan
over a year ago

city

We are €450 a day plus €100 for an apprentice

Job sounds straight forward

If through the books 250/300

On my own I'd feel guilty charging a 100

Judge the client by there worth

Big house and a knob head

Lots of money

Small and quaint 75

Ya would cover material for €20

By *ongsockMan
over a year ago

city

Their

over a year ago

"I’m sure the price was a bit of a shock…."

Earthed by the price quoted.

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

[Removed by poster at 03/12/22 21:46:30]

By *yno21Man
over a year ago

banbridge

Wave a couple of cool crisp perfume smelling 50 pound notes at the apprentice and boom you can charge your vib in private again "

This is true a 2nd year apprentice could do this for £100 less than what you were priced just look around for best deals

By *ilverfox74Man
over a year ago

dublin offaly

Op. A lot depends on where it going. Can the sockets be added to the circuit. Most can as can cause over load. Depends on what the other sockets are been used for in the same circuit. Cables might need to go back to the board. A registered contractor will guide you in the right direction and he would have to call out. Get a few quotes and get it written down to exactly what they are doing and get a cert at the end to say it was done by the registered contractor. Site manager here. Be carefull. A few will try and con you. Be sure you know in detail what you are paying for.

Post new Message to Thread