Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

First impression

Jump to newest

By *ornywife20 OP   Couple
over a year ago

North Cork

Do first impressions last .

We think they do we can generally tell with in 5 minutes if we are going to get along. Having said that the second and third meets are always more relaxed and more fun . What do people think

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *cottybear74Man
over a year ago

kilkenny

Yes I would agree, first impressions do decide the outcome.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

For me First impressions count.

By *ustBoWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

First impressions are what I go on especially on a first meet.

By *risharrowMan
over a year ago

Clare

I was told it takes 20 further good impressions to rewrite a bad first one.

By *ettaManMan
over a year ago

Kerry and Dublin

They definitely count. I guess a follow up question would be, how much should they count?

We obviously don't have time to get to know everyone to a level that enables us to make a comprehensive assessment of their character, so first impressions play a big role in how we assess people. It's a cognitive bias we have and it can affect our subsequent interpretation of interactions with people.

If we form a favourable impression of someone from our first interaction, we will interpret subsequent encounters through that lens. Rather than suspect that our own initial judgement was flawed, we will often reinterpret a persons behaviour in subsequent encounters to align with our initial judgement.

So yep, they count but don't believe you can fully diagnose the character of a complex person from a single interaction.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

They aren't infallible but they can determine if there will be a second or third meet.

In regards to whether they last or not can be down to any number of things including how genuine they actually are and if they can maintain that first impression.

By *ofusplusCouple
over a year ago

Limerick

I disagree as people can be nervous upon first meeting (I know I can be). I prefer to get to know a person fairly well before coming to any conclusions as you don't necessarily see things like integrity or kindness on first meeting. Mrs.

By *unlinguyMan
over a year ago

South Dublin

I think it depends on the encounter and what you are meeting the persin for. I think its possible to fix a bad 1st impression but that might not mean that you willing to be intimate with them on a fillowing meet if you both end up at a social or something.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I find a quick chat on the phone before a meeting gives a better sense of a person-voice etc. It breaks the ice before a meeting so there are fewer nerves and a bit more warmth/relaxation.

By *ornywife20 OP   Couple
over a year ago

North Cork

"I disagree as people can be nervous upon first meeting (I know I can be). I prefer to get to know a person fairly well before coming to any conclusions as you don't necessarily see things like integrity or kindness on first meeting. Mrs."

Yes people can be nervous on the first meet . We are always bit nervous on the first meet too . You can get a vibe about someone being nervous which is only human once they are willing to engage and make eye contact the nervousness tends to gradually disappear.

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Formerly, I would have been heavily influenced by my first impression of an individual,but intelligent individuals with all their complexity and an array of experiences, education and training require a more considered approach.

Sophicated recruiters have a battery of tests with which they evaluate their potential employees; a single interview would be insufficient to form a comprehensive rounded assessment.

However, if the person is unkempt, unhygienic, rude, offensive or intoxicated at the first meeting they have damned themselves.

A lot can be gleaned from a first impression, but a more in-depth, probing analysis will always provide a more panoramic and more accurate picture.

Post new Message to Thread