Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Heatwave on the way

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just heard on the news there’s a heatwave over Ireland and all of Europe from today onwards. I know it’s a good thing for summer etc. What are peoples thoughts on global warming etc? Is it going to happen regardless of what we do to stop it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *otorman20021Man
over a year ago

East Cork

I personally think that the whole Covid 19 thing is the worlds way of saying “humans ye have made a complete balls of earth and it’s just getting worse no matter what ye try to do, so I’m just going to wipe ye all out and last man out close the door”

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

Enjoy it while it lasts. It’s summer and we’ve had heatwaves before. Nothing unusual but the TV companies seem to be getting all excited.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'll believe it when I see it

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

Glad we got that 12ft pool in Smyths!

By *ohng69Man
over a year ago

athenry

"Glad we got that 12ft pool in Smyths!"
fill it soon before the water rationing starts.

By *ofistimacatedMan
over a year ago

cavan town

Cue roadworks and tractors on every road in the country stopping us from going anywhere to enjoy it

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

"Glad we got that 12ft pool in Smyths!"

Can you post up the opening hours to the public please

over a year ago

47 degrees in Portugal today

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Make the most of it while it lasts; it will be a long cold wet winter!

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"47 degrees in Portugal today "

Jesus imagine trying to do stuff in that. London will be touching on 40c by the weekend!! The tube would be great fun

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

"47 degrees in Portugal today

Jesus imagine trying to do stuff in that. London will be touching on 40c by the weekend!! The tube would be great fun "

Send a few degrees this way please...I'm cold

By *asterandhissparklesCouple
over a year ago

tipperary

"

Send a few degrees this way please...I'm cold "

I am in Dublin for work and I am freezing

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

"

Send a few degrees this way please...I'm cold

I am in Dublin for work and I am freezing "

God, I'm glad I'm not the only one

By *appyPandaMan
over a year ago

Kilkenny, but Dublin is more fun

Unfortunately it's very likely this'll be the coolest summer for quiet a while. We're currently at the end of the la Nina cycle which is a natural ocean recirculation event that starts in the Pacific and ends in the Atlantic, kind of like a really strange intricate conveyor belt, and the la Nina is usually the colder cycle.

It's been a bit elongated lasting the last few years, but the El Nina cycle will likely start later this year or next year and it'll be even warmer in many places.

Have fun folks. Things are destabilizing.

By *acob12369Man
over a year ago

URPANTS

"Unfortunately it's very likely this'll be the coolest summer for quiet a while. We're currently at the end of the la Nina cycle which is a natural ocean recirculation event that starts in the Pacific and ends in the Atlantic, kind of like a really strange intricate conveyor belt, and the la Nina is usually the colder cycle.

It's been a bit elongated lasting the last few years, but the El Nina cycle will likely start later this year or next year and it'll be even warmer in many places.

Have fun folks. Things are destabilizing."

Zzzzzz

By *appyPandaMan
over a year ago

"Unfortunately it's very likely this'll be the coolest summer for quiet a while. We're currently at the end of the la Nina cycle which is a natural ocean recirculation event that starts in the Pacific and ends in the Atlantic, kind of like a really strange intricate conveyor belt, and the la Nina is usually the colder cycle.

Have fun folks. Things are destabilizing."

El Nino I mean. Sure at least we can be happy the gulf stream still kind of regulates Ireland's temperature and keeps us mild, but it along with the rest of the Atlantic's natural overturning current have been decreasing in strength drastically in recent decades. Just have to hope it's still around by the end of the century.

By *hyeyesMan
over a year ago

meath

El Nino I mean. Sure at least we can be happy the gulf stream still kind of regulates Ireland's temperature and keeps us mild, but it along with the rest of the Atlantic's natural overturning current have been decreasing in strength drastically in recent decades. Just have to hope it's still around by the end of the century. "

June was definitely 5/10

We're only catching the tail end of the central European heatwave

And u can be gaurenteed that August will be like every other August for the last 12 years - wet with no Sun

Climate change lol

By *appyPandaMan
over a year ago

El Nino I mean. Sure at least we can be happy the gulf stream still kind of regulates Ireland's temperature and keeps us mild, but it along with the rest of the Atlantic's natural overturning current have been decreasing in strength drastically in recent decades. Just have to hope it's still around by the end of the century.

June was definitely 5/10

We're only catching the tail end of the central European heatwave

And u can be gaurenteed that August will be like every other August for the last 12 years - wet with no Sun

Climate change lol "

Twas 40°C above normal in the antarctic and 30°C in the Arctic at the same time in March, freaking out and worrying many scientists while the public remained blissfully unaware. Same thing is happening with methane concentration increasing faster than was expected.

Like it or not, the norms are changing and now the change is accelerating. Sure we were lucky for a while that the oceans were absorbing most of the excess CO2 and a lot of the heat, but that effect is diminishing now as many areas have already been saturated with CO2 and the warmer oceans are also becoming a small bit less reflective, reducing the Earth's albedo (ability to reflect solar radiation).

By *azirlMan
over a year ago

Marbella

"Just heard on the news there’s a heatwave over Ireland and all of Europe from today onwards. I know it’s a good thing for summer etc. What are peoples thoughts on global warming etc? Is it going to happen regardless of what we do to stop it?"

More people still die from cold than heat.

Not worried about the heat or cold that much more about the energy crisis and how that effects how we deal with both.

People are wilfully ignorant on the matter and act like solar panels, windmills, electric cars etc are the answer while acting like they hold some moral high ground.

When it comes to climate and human impact I’m more concerned with all the shit that is polluting our water systems etc and all the problems that causes to humans, wildlife etc.

Taint length matters??

over a year ago

What did we do in the heatwave and drought of 1976?

Please reply on here!

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Regrettably, the extreme temperatures may result in the deaths of weakened individuals who are heat intolerant.

In France a few years ago extreme temperatures resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands of elderly folk.

London and other English conurbations will be a nightmare; the declared State of Emergency by the COBRA (Cabinet office briefing room A) spells out the seriousness of this forthcoming event, which will be replicated more frequently in the future.

Permanent climate change is a very serious wakeup call for life on Earth.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

"Regrettably, the extreme temperatures may result in the deaths of weakened individuals who are heat intolerant.

In France a few years ago extreme temperatures resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands of elderly folk.

London and other English conurbations will be a nightmare; the declared State of Emergency by the COBRA (Cabinet office briefing room A) spells out the seriousness of this forthcoming event, which will be replicated more frequently in the future.

Permanent climate change is a very serious wakeup call for life on Earth."

"COBRA (Cabinet office briefing room A)"

How convenient... it wouldn't be anywhere near as cool sounding if they had ended up in briefing room B

Post new Message to Thread