Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Mattress size

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hey. I know it's a weird thing to ask here.. but I'm hoping someone can help. I got a bed frame yesterday from a friend that's moving house, but I'm not sure what type of mattress I need. It's roughly 61inches wide by 82inches in length. I've tried Google of course.. but I'm getting different answers. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

The bedframe is from America, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

It's a queen size

over a year ago

"It's a queen size"
Thank you for letting me know, appreciate it

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Ignore any terms like king, queen etc, because different regal bedding terms refer to different sizes in different parts of the world. American, Irish and European sizes vary.

Frankly, if you have only been given the bed frame is it worth having to buy a special US-sized 'Queen' mattress, which could be expensive to source to suit the unusual frame, which probably was not actually purchased here.

I went through a similar process myself whilst totally upgrading my sleeping arrangements.

I do not realise until recently that IKEA sized duvets are not standard Irish/British sizes; there is a variation. The width is different, but the length is similar.

Unless the bed frame is particularly unusual or valuable or of some other artistic or sentimental merit, I would be inclined to ditch it and start afresh.

If you source an unusual mattress then you have get a suitable duvet, and so on.

I was fortunate to be able to match up a 1965 teak headboard, a 1979 quality sprung base, a 2017 Sealy mattress and topper and a 2019 king size duvet cover.

Regrettably, I have made sizing mistakes in the past.

By *on655Man
over a year ago

Bronte

Go to dunnes or somewhere that sells bed clothes. On the bed sheets it gives you sizes in measurements that relate to either king,queen, double etc..

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

"Go to dunnes or somewhere that sells bed clothes. On the bed sheets it gives you sizes in measurements that relate to either king,queen, double etc.."

That refers to the size of the duvet cover, not the size of the underlying mattress; people buy different sizes of duvet to suit their own preference. Some people buy double sized duvets for single mattresses.

It's a little more complex than you might at first realise.

Although I have a standard non-European double mattress I always buy king-sized bedding, so that when my fwb stays over we are both adequately covered by the bedding.

I find standard double duvets to be of an inadequate width for a double mattress occupied by two adults!

over a year ago

Thank you all for the replies. Yeah the different sizes relating to different countries is a bit of a headwreck, but I'm sure I'll get something sorted. The frame of the bed is really nice, sort of like a sleigh shape.. so looking forward to getting a decent nice sleep on a new mattress...

By *ettaManMan
over a year ago

Kerry and Dublin

"Hey. I know it's a weird thing to ask here.. but I'm hoping someone can help. I got a bed frame yesterday from a friend that's moving house, but I'm not sure what type of mattress I need. It's roughly 61inches wide by 82inches in length. I've tried Google of course.. but I'm getting different answers. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help"

If you shop for a mattress, they'll most likely give the dimensions of it, so you could just go by that.

By *nythingsoloCouple
over a year ago

Sexy town

Super king should fit it we used super king on our American frame.there will be about an inch each side of the frame spare but will save you a fortune trying to get one from america

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

"It's a queen size Thank you for letting me know, appreciate it"

As far as I know 150cm (~60inches) by 200cm (~80inches) is King size, at least here in ROI.

Probably the closest fit you get without spending a fortune.

To be on the safe site rather than listening to all the mattress experys on here (100s of them ) I recommend to go to a mattress selling store/outlet where they sell good mattresses like Emma, king Koil, Easca etc and speak to the staff to find the best fit.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"It's a queen size Thank you for letting me know, appreciate it

As far as I know 150cm (~60inches) by 200cm (~80inches) is King size, at least here in ROI.

To be on the safe site rather than listening to all the mattress experys on here (100s of them ) I recommend to go to a mattress selling store/outlet where they sell good mattresses like Emma, king Koil, Easca etc and speak to the staff to find the best fit. "

I'm a google expert which is what I used. I claim no other knowledge in the mattress dept apart from the obvious

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Why not call Mattress Mick…. I hear lots of adverts on radio from him….. maybe he can advise.

over a year ago

"Super king should fit it we used super king on our American frame.there will be about an inch each side of the frame spare but will save you a fortune trying to get one from america"
I've being looking at superking,definitely seems to be the closest. Thanks for your help

over a year ago

"It's a queen size Thank you for letting me know, appreciate it

To be on the safe site rather than listening to all the mattress experys on here (100s of them ) I recommend to go to a mattress selling store/outlet where they sell good mattresses like Emma, king Koil, Easca etc and speak to the staff to find the best fit. "

Yes, I've went to a local store here where I live and I've given him the measurements and he's going to see what he can find for me from his wholesaler

over a year ago

"Why not call Mattress Mick…. I hear lots of adverts on radio from him….. maybe he can advise."
aw I got confused between him and Big Mickey... lol. I'll check out Mattress Mick for sure

over a year ago

The threads here never cease to amaze and amuse me lol

over a year ago

"The threads here never cease to amaze and amuse me lol"
Everyday I cheer somebody up.. then that's a good day for me

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Before you purchase a specific mattress, do yo like to sleep warm or cool, soft or firm.

Medium firm is a good compromise but new foam mattresses are very warm in the way they mould to your body; older style mattresses that are made by the world's leading makers: Sealy,Silentnight, etc are cooler, which I prefer.

Most modern mattresses are one sided; they can only be rotated, not flipped, but even that problem can be rectified with a firm topper, such as toppers at Snuggledown from Argos.

over a year ago

"Ignore any terms like king, queen etc, because different regal bedding terms refer to different sizes in different parts of the world. American, Irish and European sizes vary.

Frankly, if you have only been given the bed frame is it worth having to buy a special US-sized 'Queen' mattress, which could be expensive to source to suit the unusual frame, which probably was not actually purchased here.

I went through a similar process myself whilst totally upgrading my sleeping arrangements.

I do not realise until recently that IKEA sized duvets are not standard Irish/British sizes; there is a variation. The width is different, but the length is similar.

Unless the bed frame is particularly unusual or valuable or of some other artistic or sentimental merit, I would be inclined to ditch it and start afresh.

If you source an unusual mattress then you have get a suitable duvet, and so on.

I was fortunate to be able to match up a 1965 teak headboard, a 1979 quality sprung base, a 2017 Sealy mattress and topper and a 2019 king size duvet cover.

Regrettably, I have made sizing mistakes in the past.

"

Best reply I've ever seen on the forums

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Thank you for your kind compliment; frankly I do not think it is the best ever, but I do normally consider what I submit to threads VERY carefully.

To make a well informed decision, it is critical to have sufficient amount of the highest quality information.

Frankly, I love really high quality information, and I am renowned for the depth and breadth of what I know on a very wide range of subjects.

The world is becoming increasingly complex, daily; I try to understand that exponentially escalating complexity.

over a year ago

"Before you purchase a specific mattress, do yo like to sleep warm or cool, soft or firm.

Medium firm is a good compromise but new foam mattresses are very warm in the way they mould to your body; older style mattresses that are made by the world's leading makers: Sealy,Silentnight, etc are cooler, which I prefer.

Most modern mattresses are one sided; they can only be rotated, not flipped, but even that problem can be rectified with a firm topper, such as toppers at Snuggledown from Argos."

aw thank you so much for this. I actually never realised how hard it is to shop for an actual mattress.. lol. I think I might have sourced one so hopefully it'll work for me. Now to try and find a quilt and sheets to fit it..??

Post new Message to Thread