Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Ukraine visits

Jump to newest

By *og-Man OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

There's a war on and people are dying and suffering

But what do the visits of politicians and celebrities to Ukraine actually achieve.

Does it help the war effort,does it help ease the pain and suffering,does it throw the spotlight back on Putin or is it to help them get re-elected or help with publicity

By the way the " didnt they suffer enough " jokes about U2 playing have been done to death today already

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

It's ENTIRELY self/mutual interest. Politicians dont do this stuff unless they have something to gain.. and their presence wouldn't be tolerated if the other side gained something either. Political capital is traded and sold as necessary.

By *ncharted nightsCouple
over a year ago

funtown

Can't see how all the photo opportunities are helping anyone apart from the fact i suppose it's keeping the whole war from not being forgotten.

I was under the assumption our guys were going their for a bit of attention but i have been told its the Ukrainian government inviting them

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

"Can't see how all the photo opportunities are helping anyone apart from the fact i suppose it's keeping the whole war from not being forgotten.

I was under the assumption our guys were going their for a bit of attention but i have been told its the Ukrainian government inviting them "

Boris's visit nicely distracted from the civid party scandal.

Bono got a good bit of publicity after being mostly out of the news for a long while.

It's in Ukraines interest to be top of the news schedules internationally. They also need military aid and so need opportunities to lobby foreign leaders.

There is always an angle when it comes to politics.

By *og-Man OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

I haven't given much thought to the size of Ukraine itself except compared to Russia

It must be vast as a country to allow the politicians to safely visit in the first place as much as it can be safe for them

over a year ago

funtown

"Can't see how all the photo opportunities are helping anyone apart from the fact i suppose it's keeping the whole war from not being forgotten.

I was under the assumption our guys were going their for a bit of attention but i have been told its the Ukrainian government inviting them

Boris's visit nicely distracted from the civid party scandal.

Bono got a good bit of publicity after being mostly out of the news for a long while.

It's in Ukraines interest to be top of the news schedules internationally. They also need military aid and so need opportunities to lobby foreign leaders.

There is always an angle when it comes to politics. "

What bugs me is so many have met with Zelensky from the Germans to the Americans the yanks alone arrive with a few C130's and about 15 suv's for high value people and if Ukraine is so floored now how's the russians have not tracked Zelensky's location sometimes I think his not in Ukraine at all which I would not blame him but their is something a little off about it

By *hyeyesMan
over a year ago

meath

Zelenskys behaviour is bizzare . He's addressing different parliments morning noon and night . Playing the role of his life .U would think he would be sitting down for constructive peace talks and trying to end the conflict

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"There's a war on and people are dying and suffering

But what do the visits of politicians and celebrities to Ukraine actually achieve.

Does it help the war effort,does it help ease the pain and suffering,does it throw the spotlight back on Putin or is it to help them get re-elected or help with publicity

By the way the " didnt they suffer enough " jokes about U2 playing have been done to death today already "

It offers the people affected by the war some reassurance and comfort that they have not been forgotten, that their lives matter and that there is support for them .

Its not really a novel idea, performers have gone out to 'entertain the troops' in many wars.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

"Zelenskys behaviour is bizzare . He's addressing different parliments morning noon and night . Playing the role of his life .U would think he would be sitting down for constructive peace talks and trying to end the conflict "

His behaviour makes perfect sense. He is relying heavily on military aid and he needs to keep foreign leaders on board to keep the equipment rolling in. He's doing a great job. He can't afford to let the war slip off the agenda so he needs to keep the pressure up. Without the international aid and intelligence they would have been rolled over by Russia already.

over a year ago

funtown

"Zelenskys behaviour is bizzare . He's addressing different parliments morning noon and night . Playing the role of his life .U would think he would be sitting down for constructive peace talks and trying to end the conflict "

Can't see why he would be responsible any more than the effort he has put in to discuss peace talks with putin I do note how putin has never been man enough to crawl out from under his rock to meet zelensky though

over a year ago

funtown

"Zelenskys behaviour is bizzare . He's addressing different parliments morning noon and night . Playing the role of his life .U would think he would be sitting down for constructive peace talks and trying to end the conflict

His behaviour makes perfect sense. He is relying heavily on military aid and he needs to keep foreign leaders on board to keep the equipment rolling in. He's doing a great job. He can't afford to let the war slip off the agenda so he needs to keep the pressure up. Without the international aid and intelligence they would have been rolled over by Russia already."

Hats off to Zelensky he has done more than any of Ireland's politicians have ever done for their country combined apart from Collins... must say that mayor in Ukraine who was a boxer is a right tough cookie too

By *og-Man OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

Putin looks ill and hopefully dies soon or gets taken out by his generals

Volodymyr Zelenskyy is playing a blinder in fairness....you'd follow him anywhere if he was the leader of your country

over a year ago

funtown

"Putin looks ill and hopefully dies soon or gets taken out by his generals

Volodymyr Zelenskyy is playing a blinder in fairness....you'd follow him anywhere if he was the leader of your country "

Ya so true zelensky is a proper leader. I would worry about Russia though no matter where you go a lot of Russian business is based on dirty tricks and back handers at the very minimum so I can't see a putin replacement being any better but 100% he needs to be taken down even if things were to stay the same it sends a message to the kremlin on a larger scale

By *r_Insatiable666Man
over a year ago

Cork

I'm no political science expert but those saying Putin needs to die ect, he's already built a hierarchy where any oligarch might vie for power. The worst event that could happen is a nuclear power has a civil war.

While I'm against Putin and his dealings in Ukraine, Russia doesn't have a great history with democracy.

over a year ago

funtown

Yes that is a major problem i fear in some way better to have the devil you know.

Am going to throw out a guess that korean kim will be or has already been given a nuke by the russians indirectly to keep the U.S busy else where

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

The key is that Putin is defeated without being completely humiliated; his personality is clearly malignantly narcissistic; we don't want him to press the red big button as a final suicidal act of desperation: "if I cannot win this war, I will bring everyone down with me too"

He looks unhinged at present; even more so than normally.

By *ancy38Woman
over a year ago

galway

"Putin looks ill and hopefully dies soon or gets taken out by his generals

Volodymyr Zelenskyy is playing a blinder in fairness....you'd follow him anywhere if he was the leader of your country "

I think the western media are just playing this he's sick to everyone. I don't believe this to be true.

I haven't been following the war. I tend to switch off from everything and don't let it affect me. But how is the war getting on.

By *hyeyesMan
over a year ago

meath

"Zelenskys behaviour is bizzare . He's addressing different parliments morning noon and night . Playing the role of his life .U would think he would be sitting down for constructive peace talks and trying to end the conflict

His behaviour makes perfect sense. He is relying heavily on military aid and he needs to keep foreign leaders on board to keep the equipment rolling in. He's doing a great job. He can't afford to let the war slip off the agenda so he needs to keep the pressure up. Without the international aid and intelligence they would have been rolled over by Russia already."

Zelensky is staying in power because he has declared Marshall law and banned opposition parties . Ukraine's GDP has contracted 45% under him . That means economic ruin and mass unemployment . I can see his own military turning on him

By *uttingstagsMan
over a year ago

Navan

His behaviour makes perfect sense. He is relying heavily on military aid and he needs to keep foreign leaders on board to keep the equipment rolling in. He's doing a great job. He can't afford to let the war slip off the agenda so he needs to keep the pressure up. Without the international aid and intelligence they would have been rolled over by Russia already.

Zelensky is staying in power because he has declared Marshall law and banned opposition parties . Ukraine's GDP has contracted 45% under him . That means economic ruin and mass unemployment . I can see his own military turning on him "

It’s an achievement in itself that the Ukrainian GDP has contracted by only 45%. They’re fighting a war with what’s commonly accepted as the second ( under a bit of doubt now ) military power in the world.

On top of that they are managing to keep quite a good bit of their key infrastructure going because Russia never gained air supremacy.

Personally I think Russia made a serious miscalculation and the big winners really are the Chinese. Their biggest competitor in continental Asia is getting a bloody nose and has lost a lot of credibility without the Chinese firing a single shot or loosing a single soldier.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

No shit GDP reduced. Those who didn't stop working to join the army are hardly all gonna be able to turn up for their 9-5 in warzones.

over a year ago

Juts becomes it hasn’t been seen before much doesn’t make it bizarre, he’s played a blinder and continues to do so. Had he not done what he’s doing and used social media and kept up the topic of Ukraine worldwide they wound t have garnered the support and weapons they needed. And other conflict in the past had faded from the front pages very quickly. He has a team of diplomats that do the negotiating and peace talks. In my eyes he’s a F**kin hero!

over a year ago

"There's a war on and people are dying and suffering

By the way the " didnt they suffer enough " jokes about U2 playing have been done to death today already "

It's sickening to watch bono and his ego in Ukraine, stop giving him any attention and he will go away

By *omtom1969Man
over a year ago

ashbourne

Hear what bono said after he sang nd i just thought it was embarrassing, like how they are fighting this war for all of us nd our freedom,, like they wanted to fight , we have abandoned them

By *ewrideMan
over a year ago

KK

It's worth remembering that war is political at heart.

If the objectives of the belligerents can be achieved through other means then they will.

Violence is, or at least supposed to be, the last resort.

Post new Message to Thread