Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

The relationship between Dublin and the rest of the country

Jump to newest

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

As a Londoner living in the west I am curious about this having never lived in Dublin.

It was always so, but increasingly in the last few years London has operated differently from the rest of the U.K. recent elections have shown a mindset very different to what happens outside it . I have always experienced a sense that Londoners feel different/separate to other U.K. residents. This is made more complicated by who leaves other places to move there and why .

Does this also happen with Dublin and other parts of Ireland ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Inside the Pale is another world and many outside Dublin would have an anyone but Dublin for Sam...so we often feel the whole country is against us.

By *urfdudeMan
over a year ago

WEXFORD

I live in Wexford and every weekend the Dubs drive down to spend time in their mobile homes or second homes.

They dont spend money as they fill there cars up in Dublin shopping before they come down, they moan about everything, can drive on country roads, everything is better in Dublin !

We cant listen to them. Yanks !

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS
over a year ago

Dublin

I think the rest of the country sometimes feel that some Dubliners display a lack of knowledge about the rest of the country.

Like the phrase "down the country" is used to describe anywhere outside Dublin.

Good craic Dubliners though all the same

By *ammyPamelaTV/TS
over a year ago

Dublin

Ireland is going to topple over, if people don't spread out from Dublin.

There are so many beautiful places across Ireland, some even have Broadband!

Dublin is consuming green spaces down into Wicklow.

For example, the former little fishing Village of Greystones is just full of housing Estates, yet one access Road to the North.

By *upermanslovechildMan
over a year ago

Glasnevin

Just culchies being moany about not getting enough, this is coming from a 1dt generation Dub who myself is classed a a culchie even by people in work from Kerry, Tipp, Cavan and Offaly(which is saying something) as I've more of a country accent then them. It's just down to ignorance. The culchies think Dublin takes away away from the country but in reality all we take is the junkies, never seen a junkie outside of Dublin

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS
over a year ago

Dublin

Ah heor, leave it ouh

By *upermanslovechildMan
over a year ago

Glasnevin

"Ireland is going to topple over, if people don't spread out from Dublin.

There are so many beautiful places across Ireland, some even have Broadband!

Dublin is consuming green spaces down into Wicklow.

For example, the former little fishing Village of Greystones is just full of housing Estates, yet one access Road to the North. "

That's a Wicklow problem not a Dublin issue. Do you not know how difficult it is if you wanted to build a house in County Wicklow? So it's not Dublin building those estates in Greystones, that's a "Wickla" issue honey

By *dfabMan
over a year ago

Dunboyne

At least they're not getting a Dublin weighting added to the wages, as happens in London, or did when I was there.

Weirdly exclusive shite!

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

"At least they're not getting a Dublin weighting added to the wages, as happens in London, or did when I was there.

Weirdly exclusive shite!"

And made zero difference to affording to live there

By *uriouscpl3536Couple
over a year ago

kildare

Bleeeden wat !! There’s life outside the bleeding 16a route ? Wah ? (Done 6 years up there, the good ole days - not) give me the bog any day

By *ed just RedWoman
over a year ago

Dublin City

Born bred and buttered in Dublin, 3rd Gen 100% Dubliner.

A lot of Dubs only go outside of Dublin for short visits, and if they go anywhere for longer, it’s abroad. Holidays within Ireland are generally more expensive than travelling to Spain or France so it’s not rocket science that the majority don’t know much of Ireland.

Which is a blessing and a curse. Ireland is absolutely amazing, I’ve only ever been to one boring town and I travel the length and breadth of it frequently. But equally, a lot of the Dubliners that can afford to travel in Ireland are absolute twats from what I see (especially last weekend down the west, 212D Ferraris and Maseratis and immaculate Land Rovers! KNOBS!!)

So count your chickens maybe?

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

In fairness Dublin also has a divide based on Northside / Southside ....

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

"In fairness Dublin also has a divide based on Northside / Southside ...."

There is a reverse one in London too but Clapham/Putney/Wimbledon/blackheath are the malahide and Howth equivalents

By *ed just RedWoman
over a year ago

Dublin City

"In fairness Dublin also has a divide based on Northside / Southside ...."

Tell me about it.

Embarrassing AF

By *oseredWoman
over a year ago

Dublin

Dublin is a place not just a people. There are good and bad aspects to it. There is also a vast mix of cultures. The same as every other county. To label a place one thing or another based on some only serves to create devision.

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

It's not unique to any particular country or city. The parameters and conditions of city life are completely different to those of country life. Both have its pros and cons and of course the place of your upbringing does impact your lifestyle choices and attitude.

Dublin is a vibrant city and the Dubs are a very welcoming, warm and funny bunch.

There always be little animosities between city and country folk, it's normal, they surface normally when it comes to sport and politics.

On a side note: Try to make new friends on the countryside and you'll find it much harder to achieve than in a city. Most of the time you'll find yourself eventually in a friend circle consisting of other (former) newcomers.

By *wingpeterMan
over a year ago

Enniscorthy

I moved from Dublin to Wexford and love it.

By *ublinjasonMan
over a year ago

Dublin

in Dublin youve more freedom whereas in rural Ireland everyone tends to know your business and makes it their business to know your business. So if youre into this lifestyle youre better off in Dublin, nobody really is too nosey about you and this city though small by international standards has enough numbers of people to make it effective for swinging I think. Rural Ireland, quality of life be great.

Londons a super size city, Dublins tiny in comparison!

Overall the populaton of Ireland is abit small for this lifestyle and we're still playing catchup with rest of europe.

If one is young and want adventure, Dublins the place in Ireland, its not too bad though as I discovered continental europe is just sooooooooo much better.

Dublins mad mad expensive to live. Yes Dublin is very different from the rest of Ireland, were are the largest city all the rest is small numbers and all that goes with that.

By *tranTV/TS
over a year ago

City

Dublin guy told me on a bank holiday weekend when I asked him where everyone was that "They all go home on the bank holiday weekend".

Told me he was the only one in a class of 30 where both parents were from Dublin, and the only one in the year where both parents, all grandparents were Dubs, and that Dublin is amazing on the bank holidays cause only the real Dubs are left and all the country dubs are down being rude to their own kin for a change.

After some back and forth he said his ancestors came from Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow.. but mainly from Clare they think, but that they were in Dublin since well before the famine and they have no way to find out where.

So basically if Ireland had unbroken written records going back to lets say the 1400s then everyone in Dublin would leave every bank holiday to visit their ancestral homes.

over a year ago

What does a person from Dublin call a person from outside of Dublin at work?

Boss

over a year ago

Most Dublin people I know will travel internationally first before traveling Down the "country" as its said

"Bleedin miles away "

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

Soon nobody will be able to afford any type of house in Dublin...so the Dublin kids will take over the rest of the country by stealth anyway

over a year ago

"Most Dublin people I know will travel internationally first before traveling Down the "country" as its said

"Bleedin miles away "

"

Works the other way too. I'm a Dub, been gone for years though. So many people in the different counties I've lived in have said "Sure why would you want to go to Dublin - no need to ever go there".

over a year ago

I haven't been in Dublin for over 3 years except to use the airport, don't like the place and see no reason to go there.

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

The 'divide' is almost negligible nowadays; the motorway network and public transport have reduced travel massively in comparison with 30-50 years ago, when a trip to Dublin was a big deal.

Electronic communications are now so rapid and cheap again in comparison with the past that everywhere is accessible.

Decentralisation of many governments to provincial towns also diminishes the idea of Dublin-centricity

However, housing in Dublin is a nightmare, and high cost accommodation is also spreading to commuter towns, like Dundalk, Athlone, Tullamore and Greystones.

Post new Message to Thread