Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Memories before the big day

Jump to newest

By *og-Man OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

When I was a lad,the build up to the big day in our house was a thing to behold....I don't remember being poor or rich for that matter and like so many came from a family where my mammy stopped work when the kids came and one wage fed and watered us

I now know that my mum was like a Sargent Major collecting the few bob from my dad every week to pay for Christmas

Anyway it started with a visit to Santa in Clery's followed by a walk down Henry Street with it's shouts of " get the wrapping paper 5 for fifty" or get the last of the cheeky s...how did kids not get lost in Henry Street ....it was like the exit of croke Park after am all Ireland final.

Did anyone ever get a cheeky ...

Then the new clothes...the one time you didnt have to wear hand me downs from your brother or cousins

The Christmas puddings would go on around the same week...all the kids getting to stir the mixture and make a wish ..followed by mammy boiling and steaming them in the kitchen for 24 hours ...don't think she went to bed during this time and the kitchen was like a steam room.

So Christmas dinner was nearly as big a deal as Santa

It was the only day of the year we ate like kings

The big pot came out of the shed for the ham and the dead turkey was stored in the bath for a few days as we only had a bath once a week in those days

And then a full plate with leftovers...happy kids,happy parents,Happy Christmas

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Tbh my main memory is my father getting all excited about it while my mother did all the work

over a year ago

I did get lost!! Sure it was bedlam. A guard found me and when he asked where my mam was I told him she was in the pub.

She wasnt, and she nearly killed me for saying it

over a year ago

"I did get lost!! Sure it was bedlam. A guard found me and when he asked where my mam was I told him she was in the pub.

She wasnt, and she nearly killed me for saying it "

Lol

over a year ago

My granny would have the cake and pudding started in November, the day before she'd start cooking the turkey.

Church with my dad on Xmas morning was such a treat. Eating the Danish biscuits out of the fancy blue tin.

The cold sald with the leftover turkey and ham that evening.

Simple memories of a happy childhood and will do the sane this weekend coming.

By *ustBoWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I can't really remember anything that was a big build up from my childhood .Just the normal excitement about Christmas and Santa bringing presents and getting up ridiculously early Christmas morning and being told to get back into bed .Mind you it was about 3am.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

Xmas eve was always great fun visiting relations going to mass coming home and watching scrooge my mother's favourite film, she would have a glass of wine or a bailey's and I would have hot chocolate

I still watch scrooge with my kids and raise a glass to my mum on xmas eve

over a year ago

Christmas has always been massive in our house but one of the most random memories I have was one Christmas morning after presents etc my dad went to the car to get his gloves before we headed to mass.

He found a guy sleeping in the back seat of the car, the man partied very hard the night before in someones house and couldn't get a lift home so he somehow got into our car and fell asleep. Dad gave him a lift home before mass

By *og-Man OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

"Christmas has always been massive in our house but one of the most random memories I have was one Christmas morning after presents etc my dad went to the car to get his gloves before we headed to mass.

He found a guy sleeping in the back seat of the car, the man partied very hard the night before in someones house and couldn't get a lift home so he somehow got into our car and fell asleep. Dad gave him a lift home before mass "

That's lovely ...fair play to dad

Post new Message to Thread