Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

One Monkee remaining!

Jump to newest

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

The death of Mike Nesmith, means that three of The Monkees are now deceased, and only Mickey Dolenz, who acted in Circus Boy in the 1950s, remains.

Many pop music purists are deeply sceptical about The Monkees, the first 'prefabricated' boy band, but they were actually highly talented musicians and singers.

Don Kirschner was a highly skilful music entrepreneur who wanted an American boy band to rival the fan four, the Liverpudlian Beatles, who were taking the states by storm in the early 1960s.

Mike's mother actually invented the amazingly successful typing correction fluid, Tippex.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Do you talk like this in the pub?

;-)

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

"Do you talk like this in the pub?

;-)"

It won't surprise you to read that it is decades since I have been in a pub; and why in other social situations others run a mile!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"It won't surprise you to read that it is decades since I have been in a pub; and why in other social situations others run a mile! "

Fair enough.

To address your point, yes it is very sad. And the Monkees were indeed underrated. Last Train To Clarksville is one of the best tracks of the 60s, an absolute classic

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Personally, I think that What am I doing hanging round is better; but Last Train is very good too.

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

The TV programme about The Monkees was broadcast every Saturday afternoon in the later 1960s, and was a very important part of my life; principally because of where I used to watch it. It still brings more than a tear to my eye; after watching the programme I was obliged to return to the house where I was being brought up!!

By *asual777Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

That’s a poignant story Jubal. Thank you for sharing .

Post new Message to Thread