Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Turpin House of Horrors

Jump to newest

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

The Turpin family's parents kept their thirteen children locked up for three decades and starved, beat, tormented, chained and abused them.

None of their neighbours intervened; what family situations have you noticed, but failed to intervene in?

No specific names please, just situations that you later regretted not having spoken out about.

The two Turpin parents got life sentences with the possibility of parole in 25 years.

Jordan Turpin, having watched Justin Bieber, on a phone, decided to escape and inform the police; no neighbour ever made a positive humanitarian move on their behalf.

In my own case, a group of guys were intimidating young students to hand over money; I phoned the police and they arrived in minutes; the thugs never returned to that location.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Have you heard about the psycho-social phenomenon called Bystander Apathy? Its the only thing to explain this. So many people are guilty of turning a blind eye thinking someone else will be the one to do something... Absolutely heartbreaking.

I can think of 2 specific incidents when I should have done something but didnt. Fear for the implications to my own security stopped me

over a year ago

I've intervened many a time but the last time the people I was trying to help rounded on me too.

Not sure it will happen again until I'm back in the moment.

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

"Have you heard about the psycho-social phenomenon called Bystander Apathy? Its the only thing to explain this. So many people are guilty of turning a blind eye thinking someone else will be the one to do something... Absolutely heartbreaking.

I can think of 2 specific incidents when I should have done something but didnt. Fear for the implications to my own security stopped me "

Your own safety has to come first.

I can't remember having been a by-stander, thankfully. I have witnessed a number of very scary scenarios but was there to help in some way, report or call the relevant emergency services.

By *yandbumCouple
over a year ago

nextdoor

The Mrs and I went out last Halloween night dressed as opposite genders. I started getting verbally abused on the street outside a bar and seriously thought to myself I was about to get my ass kicked or more. Within 2 minutes, 3 gardai rocked up in a squad car and took him away. Very thankful.

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

An interesting anecdote that I only uncovered today, was that the parents, David and Louise, actually became swinger's for a period of time, albeit brief, despite having previously been pentecostal Christians, who subscribed to the Quiverfull movement; that is having as many children as possible, with any form of contraception employed.

over a year ago

Was reading up on this after you posted it. Completely insane and horrific. What happened to the kids after they the parents were arrested was nearly as bad.

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

I know from personal experience I intervened in a horific situation and it didn't end well for me.. The perpetrator turned his attention to me then and I suffered badly as a result also his victim blamed me for everything and definitely wasn't thankful for my intervention.. Would I intervene again? Never ever.. Just report it to police and leave it at that..

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Intervention, from personal experience, needs to be implemented very carefully!

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

"Was reading up on this after you posted it. Completely insane and horrific. What happened to the kids after they the parents were arrested was nearly as bad. "

There has been a lot of positive intervention from various people recently; there is a lot of good material available online, especially on google video. Dr Phil did a special programme and 20/20 ABC USA did a recent programme. Jordan Turpin is an exceptionally bright, resourceful, empathic and caring person who is astonishingly proactive, on her siblings' behalf.

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

"Have you heard about the psycho-social phenomenon called Bystander Apathy? Its the only thing to explain this. So many people are guilty of turning a blind eye thinking someone else will be the one to do something... Absolutely heartbreaking.

I can think of 2 specific incidents when I should have done something but didnt. Fear for the implications to my own security stopped me "

Bystander inaction/apathy is a societal phenomenon that I have been aware of in another emotive context!

over a year ago

"Was reading up on this after you posted it. Completely insane and horrific. What happened to the kids after they the parents were arrested was nearly as bad.

There has been a lot of positive intervention from various people recently; there is a lot of good material available online, especially on google video. Dr Phil did a special programme and 20/20 ABC USA did a recent programme. Jordan Turpin is an exceptionally bright, resourceful, empathic and caring person who is astonishingly proactive, on her siblings' behalf. "

Well that's good to hear at least. Some sorta happy ending to a horrible story

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Over the weekend, I took the time to watch the Turpin parents' sentencing hearing in its entirety; to the end they appeared to be in denial that they had done anything wrong.

But I am not entirely sure that life sentences with the possibility of parole in 25 years, combined with 10 year restraining orders granted to the children to prevent the two parents from contacting them is the ideal solution.

She had diagnosed HPD, a histrionic personality disorder and he was a co-dependent (to her); intervention decades earlier at the time that the mother, Louise, was being abused by her grandfather would have been a more effective, less damaging and less costly solution.

The red flags were never heeded, nor never acted upon, not even by multiple neighbours who had their suspicions, but failed to speak out!

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

The latest news is that Jordan Turpin, the 17 year old girl (now 21) who escaped to blow the whistle on her parent's dysfunctionality and criminality has ambitions to become a motivational speaker.

I suspect we're going to hear a lot more from this bright spark in the coming years.

Post new Message to Thread