Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Work life balance

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I find it very hard to meet regularly with work and other commitments. r. I'm currently considering switching jobs, leaving a very well paid job to auch lower paying job that will allow more free time but financial hardships for a period. Just wondering if anyone experiencing anything similar

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ofusplusCouple
over a year ago

Limerick

"I find it very hard to meet regularly with work and other commitments. r. I'm currently considering switching jobs, leaving a very well paid job to auch lower paying job that will allow more free time but financial hardships for a period. Just wondering if anyone experiencing anything similar"

Oh be very careful with this. Maybe look first at your current job to see if there are adjustments you can make?

By *asual777Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

I am massively into lists . Everything has lists. Tasks . Aspirations. I find it helpful doing This.

Also dividing things into

Urgent important

Urgent not important

Not urgent important

Not urgent not important

By *aptorman160Man
over a year ago

navan

I completely understand what ur saying. It was a work life balance the ended my marriage and how I ended up here I guess lol but seriously it’s tough Iam self employed and a workaholic. It’s hard to switch off when ur very goal driven in life. I was pro work and making a life for yourself. But now maybe changed a little no point it working so hard in life if I don’t have someone to share it with and covid taught me that It’s just not as easy now to have some fun. So it’s not for me to advise u but more just to say I understand and. U do u. What ever works for u.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I wouldnt be leaving a job to facilitate meeting more but if its for a better worklife balance then maybe.

Will the added financial pressure be less stressful than the current work commitments?

Is the new job something your passionate about or is it just attractive because its new and gives you a little more freedom?

I did recently make a very big career change and honestly I havent looked back.

By *Sparkie.Man
over a year ago

Ratoath

Hey Lolli, like you I have a crazy busy work life, I do my best to balance it but this proves difficult.

One aspect of my work gives me great security, I could change jobs and get higher paid but loose the security, I'm a step closer to leaving and its not money but a better work/life balance I'm after but I'll loose the security I have in my current job.

Plus I'll have to listen to my folks give out to me if I do leave it as they keep reminding me about how secure it is n the pension.

Out of respect for my folks I've hung on until now.

I also know far away fields sometimes seem greener

over a year ago

Just to put things into context, I work in a factory that pays very well but it's extremely mundane work with 12 hour shifts working days and nights. The guards is the area I was considering, I've completed nearly all tasks to joining...the hours are the same but the money is considerably less, pension is far superior and the work far more interesting. Hence the confusion

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

I had this enforced on me last year when I lost a very well paid job as a direct result of covid.

I left a company I had been with for over 30 years to take up this role and exactly 13 months later ended up being furloughed and eventually let go.

My current job pays about half of what I was on before and is much less stressful and while that is a positive it certainly doesn't do anything for the work life balance as I don't have any more free time than before.

over a year ago

Hi OP

I’ve worked for 26 years for the same company across the world and am reaching breaking point …..especially as Covid and working from home has made my day longer and more intense than ever .

However the money is needed so I would look at it this way

Do a job you enjoy and are good at. As long as you have enough money to suit your lifestyle then go and be happy, but make sure you love what you do, don’t settle for an easier job that will bore you after 2 weeks ….. the longer term mental health issues of boredom are worse and make sure the grass is greener

Plus if you have more time, give me a wink haha

over a year ago

"Just to put things into context, I work in a factory that pays very well but it's extremely mundane work with 12 hour shifts working days and nights. The guards is the area I was considering, I've completed nearly all tasks to joining...the hours are the same but the money is considerably less, pension is far superior and the work far more interesting. Hence the confusion"

I’d advise you do some research on their new pension also. Work life in the guards is decent as you know you’re roster. Mundane, no but the money is good especially with the OT and allowances.

Pension- careful. The 2013 scheme is pretty awful

over a year ago

"Just to put things into context, I work in a factory that pays very well but it's extremely mundane work with 12 hour shifts working days and nights. The guards is the area I was considering, I've completed nearly all tasks to joining...the hours are the same but the money is considerably less, pension is far superior and the work far more interesting. Hence the confusion"

If it offers you a better work life balance and better future prospects then I'd say go for it if you can make it work.

Best of luck with it

over a year ago

If you can get to retire on a fair pension at 50/55 it's a no brainer. And hopefully you won't have to put in so many nightshifts which are not healthy at all.

over a year ago

"Just to put things into context, I work in a factory that pays very well but it's extremely mundane work with 12 hour shifts working days and nights. The guards is the area I was considering, I've completed nearly all tasks to joining...the hours are the same but the money is considerably less, pension is far superior and the work far more interesting. Hence the confusion

If you can get to retire on a fair pension at 50/55 it's a no brainer. And hopefully you won't have to put in so many nightshifts which are not healthy at all."

As far as i know 30 years is required to retire now, brought in since 2004

By *3nsesMan
over a year ago

Dublin

My work life balance is fine at the moment, but I've had to fight for that as well. There will be more structure in the gardai but if you plan on climbing the ranks it can be consuming.

Ultimately if you love the job you can end up with no work life balance - now if you love the job that can be a great thing.

Also worth noting given the nature of that profession there is a much bigger risk to being on a site like this and active.

over a year ago

All depends on what your priorities are. Money is usually the main factor for most but it's not everything.

over a year ago

I cane off shiftwork in Apr of this year to work Mon to Fri and took a cut of about 12k but it has been totally worth it. I was working 60 hrs over 6 days with 4 off.

If you are through the process go for it, I wanted the job years ago and didn't pursue it due to family reasons but I do regret it.

over a year ago

I left a well paid pensionable job that was irregular hours and so stressful it was breaking me. As well as keeping me stuck in a rut.

The transition was pretty painful but I grew as a person, became much happier and though it left me financially vulnerable I still dont regret it. To me there is nothing worse than feeling stuck.

If you know what you want (or just dont want) then go for it, change it, life is risky but worse is feeling like you arent living in my opinion.

By *amesd1114Man
over a year ago

Dublin/Cork

Fair play to you if you do move OP. I’m currently in a similar position where I’m paid well but not a whole pile of life satisfaction or free time. I’m finding it very difficult to take the step to a lower paid job, worried about how it will impact me.

On the other side of things, why stay in a place that doesn’t leave you live your life the way you want to

over a year ago

My work life is quite honestly very poor. With commute and work day it's easily 13/14hours. I enjoy what I do but starting to consider looking elsewhere to have a better balance. Jay has a very good balance though but he's years where he was to get that

By *hilaboutMan
over a year ago

kilkenny

"Hey Lolli, like you I have a crazy busy work life, I do my best to balance it but this proves difficult.

One aspect of my work gives me great security, I could change jobs and get higher paid but loose the security, I'm a step closer to leaving and its not money but a better work/life balance I'm after but I'll loose the security I have in my current job.

Plus I'll have to listen to my folks give out to me if I do leave it as they keep reminding me about how secure it is n the pension.

Out of respect for my folks I've hung on until now.

I also know far away fields sometimes seem greener

"

at 44yrs of age is it not time you were allowed live your own life ?

Post new Message to Thread