Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

9 out of 10 women

Jump to newest

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

So there was a report yesterday following interviews with 2700 women in Ireland . Nearly 9 in 10 women feel uncomfortable walking alone after dark. 60 per cent of respondents to a survey said they've been verbally harassed.

I won’t go into the other details of the report and I know that if others post details of traumatic events this thread will get deleted .

This is 4 years after #metoo really got going . There are many educational and legal interventions but ultimately it’s about individuals’ behaviours . Simply put , men need to develop an awareness of what their actions make women feel like , and who is observing them

Who might end up copying them further down the line if they’re in a position of influence or a role model .

It has certainly made me think.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ome_wild_girlWoman
over a year ago

Antrim Town

I work in a mainly male environment and things ate certainly better than they were 25 years ago when I started, that being said it will take more time but things are heading in the right direction and I have faith the younger members of society have a good influence on the older ones with outdated attitudes.

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

"I work in a mainly male environment and things ate certainly better than they were 25 years ago when I started, that being said it will take more time but things are heading in the right direction and I have faith the younger members of society have a good influence on the older ones with outdated attitudes."

Glad you feel positive about this

By *rmrs1234Couple
over a year ago

Waterford

Gone be the days when i used walk home from my bar job at 3 or 4am up a hill past a woods with not a light to be seen on the road. Id freak if any of my girls were to do that. Fact of the matter is the streets are dangerous now for women and men. No way id walk out at that hour now on my own

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

"Gone be the days when i used walk home from my bar job at 3 or 4am up a hill past a woods with not a light to be seen on the road. Id freak if any of my girls were to do that. Fact of the matter is the streets are dangerous now for women and men. No way id walk out at that hour now on my own"

I agree . This wasn’t a harassment type scenario but walked to get a pad Thai near jervis recently . I have never seen such an amount of drug induced behaviour in such a short space of time .

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I never ever walk alone after dark...Not even to the local shop that's 10mins away...S*it happens...There's predators & opportunists...I was followed twice before & it's quite terrifying...

By *heTantrixMan
over a year ago

Dublin 18

Add the flavor of racial abuse terrifying people like me to walk on my own in a busy city Centre.. it wasn’t the same when I arrived in early 2018. My friend was with this wife about the strand in Dun Laoghaire a few months ago. As soon as it got dark, he was attacked by two guys that left him with a broken jaw and hairline fracture in leg. How did it detoriate so fast. No I don’t feel safe anymore.

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

I have to say I think that there is a little bit of ‘uncaging’ which easing the restrictions has done. Almost making up for lost time for many and overdoing things in terms of booze and probably drugs . Hopefully , it ll settle

By *eterdunneMan
over a year ago

leixlip

"I never ever walk alone after dark...Not even to the local shop that's 10mins away...S*it happens...There's predators & opportunists...I was followed twice before & it's quite terrifying... "

Talking to someone one on one here is risky enough.....some real oddballs on here I think

over a year ago

"I never ever walk alone after dark...Not even to the local shop that's 10mins away...S*it happens...There's predators & opportunists...I was followed twice before & it's quite terrifying...

Talking to someone one on one here is risky enough.....some real oddballs on here I think"

Lol there's "oddballs" every where... & It's often so easy to `read` or `see` between the lines... Alot of wolves here too in sheeps clothing & many sheep...

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

"I never ever walk alone after dark...Not even to the local shop that's 10mins away...S*it happens...There's predators & opportunists...I was followed twice before & it's quite terrifying...

Talking to someone one on one here is risky enough.....some real oddballs on here I think

Lol there's "oddballs" every where... & It's often so easy to `read` or `see` between the lines... Alot of wolves here too in sheeps clothing & many sheep... "

Speaking of sheep (Quizzes) I really hope I don’t finish bottom today . Mid table would be great

over a year ago

Lol there's "oddballs" every where... & It's often so easy to `read` or `see` between the lines... Alot of wolves here too in sheeps clothing & many sheep... "

Quote of the year... fair observation though.

The lack of community response ( people sitting back and allowing bad behaviour happen is a factor. Im not saying militia but normal people not accpting crap they see. Years ago when we were not so PC people called others on unacceptable behaviour. Less so now unfortunately...we seem to exist in a sterile, non engaged on-line community now with little real life interaction ( irony not lost on me given the platform)

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

Lol there's "oddballs" every where... & It's often so easy to `read` or `see` between the lines... Alot of wolves here too in sheeps clothing & many sheep...

Quote of the year... fair observation though.

The lack of community response ( people sitting back and allowing bad behaviour happen is a factor. Im not saying militia but normal people not accpting crap they see. Years ago when we were not so PC people called others on unacceptable behaviour. Less so now unfortunately...we seem to exist in a sterile, non engaged on-line community now with little real life interaction ( irony not lost on me given the platform) "

Tbh I d be worried about calling out some stuff I saw. I feel I have a lot to lose if I end up with a broken bottle in my face whereas mr intoxicated man’s feelings might not even be that hurt by me asking him to stop being a massive weirdo . Obviously if I felt someone’s life was in danger then that’s different but we probably walk on by a lot because it’s just not worth the trouble at that moment in our eyes rightly or wrongly

By *ay_Gatsby_D4Man
over a year ago

City Centre, Dublin, Belfast

I suppose when’s the last time you saw a gardai walking the beat after dark?

Bad individuals are going to try something if they think they’ll get away with it.

Increased visibility of gardai around certain areas in town would do wonders, I don’t know a single person who feels safe walking round O’Connell street after a night out

over a year ago

I think its far to easy to explain this away soley by blaming recent antisocial behaviour or breaking out of lockdown.

We have inherent issues and behaviours that cause this.

Our sentencing for assault and sexual assault are extremely lenient as are the sentences for domestic abuse.

On the flip side the under privileged in our society are getting left further and further behind which will always lead to more antisocial and violent behaviour

By *rmrs1234Couple
over a year ago

Waterford

"I think its far to easy to explain this away soley by blaming recent antisocial behaviour or breaking out of lockdown.

Our sentencing for assault and sexual assault are extremely lenient as are the sentences for domestic abuse.

On the flip side the under privileged in our society are getting left further and further behind which will always lead to more antisocial and violent behaviour "

I agree with regard to sentencing laws. Overall incredibley lenient. I remember a petition being started to implement minimum mandatory sentences especially for abuse/sex crimes and it barely got any traction. The entire legal system needs a massive overhaul and inept judges need to be given the boot.

over a year ago

If it was law that ppl can arm them self evsn so much as with a bottle of pepper spray or a taser

it would work wonders

over a year ago

"If it was law that ppl can arm them self evsn so much as with a bottle of pepper spray or a taser

it would work wonders"

Ya has work wonders in the US alright

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

"I think its far to easy to explain this away soley by blaming recent antisocial behaviour or breaking out of lockdown.

On the flip side the under privileged in our society are getting left further and further behind which will always lead to more antisocial and violent behaviour "

The sentencing is probably related to prison accommodation available . It’s impossible to get a custodial sentence for a really horrible online offence because of overcrowding . Contact offences are a starting point . Yet being sure that a horrendous online offender won’t go on to a contact one is far from straightforward

Post new Message to Thread