Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Tips for a novice gardener

Jump to newest

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

For my 40th My resolutions were to learn to cook and garden. 1 million curries later only one of those hobbies took off. I have started planting some trees but really have no idea how to garden as such . Where do I start? I am looking to plant flowers and have some nice vegetables Grow as well

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lashamMan
over a year ago

kildare

I'm Ur man for training u how to garden

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

It’s the weirdest thing that you commented . I had never heard of your profile and today I met someone in Galway who mentioned you ! Will DM you at some point , mainly to get gardening tips ...

By *eterdunneMan
over a year ago

leixlip

Just make sure that the lawn is kept tightly mown and you'll have no trouble with pest or infestations lol

By *OCONO5Couple
over a year ago

Sensual Center

round up

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

"round up "

This is a household which protects all of God’s creatures large or small

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"round up "

Jasis! Never!

By *ixty eight plus oneWoman
over a year ago

Tramore

I thought this was going to be a manscaping thread

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

As far as veg is concerned I would recommend building yourself some raised beds. It makes things such easier... then research when the proper times of year you need for planting. For veg you are really talking about march onwards.

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

Your timing is extraordinary !

I forgot to add

Tell us about your gardening achievements

And please don’t mention trimming bushes

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

Thanks

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Try to get hold of Dr. Hessayon's Expert Series of gardening books for the specific area you are interested in; eBay may be an option.

Loads of high quality material on google video.

Consider growing fruit trees and soft fruit instead of ornamental perennials.

over a year ago

I started gardening last year. I planted spuds, peas, carrots and onions.

Everything went great until everything died.

This year I put up a poly tunnel and put my seedlings in there. I built high planters (basically built a raised planter on 2 stacks of pallets so it's at waist height for me).

In my planters I put spuds and carrots and broccoli. I also have gooseberry and raspberries and a strawberry patch.

The poly tunnel lasted 2 weeks and every thing was destroyed. I saved 6 broccoli.

And they were magnificent. And even though my spud plants died, I still got 8 kg of amazing tasting potatoes. Today I had home grown chips with taco that had peppers that grew in my sitting room.

My carrots are due in November.

Be prepared for much more death than successes.

But it's worth it

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

Thank you

By *eralt80Man
over a year ago

cork

If your making raised beds I’d suggest using concrete H post and slabs. A little bit extra work to build but won’t break down like timber. Saying that I used untreated timber for mine and they last about 6 years.

Keep the beds to about 1M wide as the centre can be easily reached from both sides

Invest in some irrigation drip hose, as the garden expands and things begin to grow it will save a lot of time on watering.

Don’t plant too much at once. Lettuce for instance, is a cut and come again plant, so just a few heads will see a family through for a season.

And enjoy, the simple act of playing in the dirt is strangely relaxing.

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

"If your making raised beds I’d suggest using concrete H post and slabs. A little bit extra work to build but won’t break down like timber. Saying that I used untreated timber for mine and they last about 6 years.

Keep the beds to about 1M wide as the centre can be easily reached from both sides

Invest in some irrigation drip hose, as the garden expands and things begin to grow it will save a lot of time on watering.

Don’t plant too much at once. Lettuce for instance, is a cut and come again plant, so just a few heads will see a family through for a season.

And enjoy, the simple act of playing in the dirt is strangely relaxing. "

Yes why is that ? Just planted a few things briefly this morning And I could have messed around for hours

By *ublinguy99Man
over a year ago

Dublin South

Is it veg or flowers. I dont know much about veg but I have a fair bit of colour in my garden. I mainly use perennial flowers which come back each year of their own accord. If you want to encourage bees, salvia, sedum and lavender. If you like yellow daisys with prolific flowering, try rudbeckia, lovely when combined with purple salvia. Vertical spikes to give height, try crocosmia lucifer. Dahlia tubers can be purchased cheaply and provide fantastic flowering and wonderful colours and shapes from July into October. Agapanthus grow easy and come in white and mauve stunning when combined. If you have a small garden try using pots but get big ones in different shapes and sizes and colours, which allow plants to grow and feed them regularly. Watch Gardener's world on BBC on Fridays or RTE have a great gardening programme on their iplayer at the moment with Jimmy Blake. Most of all have fun, and plant what you like. Getting your hands dug into clay is very therapeutic.

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

Thanks . Adding colour a major challenge

By *ateniteCouple
over a year ago

Youghal

Started getting into gardening this summer. Decided to just go with a "learn as I go" attitude, great fun, some successes, some failures, but the garden looks a million times better and it's very theraputic.

over a year ago

Gardens come in all shapes and sizes. To keep cost down learn the basics such as taking cuttings, propagation etc. I grow many plants from cuttings and it saves a lot of expense.

Go visit public gardens to see how things are done and its a great source for ideas.

Having a small glasshouse or poly-tunnel is fantastic for growing new plants etc

Once you start you'll never look back

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

Very little point in growing your own veg when you can buy in a shop dirt cheap..

By *atherjackhackettMan
over a year ago

Tipperary

"Very little point in growing your own veg when you can buy in a shop dirt cheap.. "

Growing ones own vegetables hasn't really anything to do with money. It's all about satisfaction and quality. Can't beat popping out to the garden, pulling a few fresh carrots or digging a few spuds and knocking the clay off them.

By *iss KissWoman
over a year ago

near Coventry

[Removed by poster at 28/08/21 12:03:03]

By *iss KissWoman
over a year ago

near Coventry

"round up

This is a household which protects all of God’s creatures large or small "

yes. Me too. I'd never use round up or any other poison. They are so bad for the environment. Part of the joy of having a lovely garden is all the visiting creatures. Which round up affects (humans too). From bees, birds to butterflies. I get loads.

My tip is, get the s before they get big. Or have a chance to scatter their seeds. You can just hoe them with no digging, if you're out a lot.

Also. Build a compost heap with 3 compartments to put all your garden waste in (and house food).

Pop your headphones on and listen to music or a documentary. You'll be out there for hours!

Have fun

By *asual777 OP   Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

"round up

This is a household which protects all of God’s creatures large or small

yes. Me too. I'd never use round up or any other poison. They are so bad for the environment. Part of the joy of having a lovely garden is all the visiting creatures. Which round up affects (humans too). From bees, birds to butterflies. I get loads.

My tip is, get the s before they get big. Or have a chance to scatter their seeds. You can just hoe them with no digging, if you're out a lot.

Also. Build a compost heap with 3 compartments to put all your garden waste in (and house food).

Pop your headphones on and listen to music or a documentary. You'll be out there for hours!

Have fun

"

Fabbers are making this sound like a blissful Goal

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Depending on the amount of space you have available, grow enough vegetables for your own needs, especially vegetable the taste of which you enjoy and or which are expensive to buy, but grow soft fruit such as blueberries and top fruit such as apples, pears, plums, nuts and gages, apricots, cherries, etc.

If you want to get really sophisticated grow a forest garden similar to that advocated by Robert Hart.

Buy one of the RHS handbooks and visit a walled garden such as the excellent walled garden in the Phoenix Park.

The possibilities are almost infinite, but will bring you enormous pleasure, if you dedicate sufficient time and effort: planning and implementation.

Post new Message to Thread