Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

The Midnight Library

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anyone read?

Would you go back to "try out" other versions of your life?

Have you many regrets you wish to erase or would you simply be curious to see what alternate path you may have taken...?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *t777Woman
over a year ago

close by

Oh I would definitely change a few things, by either what I choose or what I didn't. I think everyone has wishes or regrets that they did or didn't do.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I try not to dwell on the past. A lot of it was pretty horrific and I can't change it so onwards and upwards.

It made me stronger, and more empathic

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Probably things I would change but spent too long living in the past and don't plan very far ahead so I'm happier being present.

over a year ago

"I try not to dwell on the past. A lot of it was pretty horrific and I can't change it so onwards and upwards.

It made me stronger, and more empathic"

Empathy is undervalued.. Sound extremely positive!

By *affa31Woman
over a year ago

Galway

I’d love to know what life would be like if I’d taken a different path.

Having said that, there’s probably a lot of people I wouldn’t have met and things I wouldn’t have done if I had made different decisions.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"I try not to dwell on the past. A lot of it was pretty horrific and I can't change it so onwards and upwards.

It made me stronger, and more empathic"

I've always been empathic. Too much so at times which always held me back.

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

There's only one thing that I wish I could change that would completely change my life

I still think about it a few times a year and I'll never know but will go to my grave not knowing

Not upset about it any more but I'll never shake it

over a year ago

It made me stronger, and more empathic

I've always been empathic. Too much so at times which always held me back. "

There's different kinds of empathy. You can put yourself in someone else's shoes and understand how they are thinking and feeling without making them a mission to save. Fine balance.

over a year ago

"I’d love to know what life would be like if I’d taken a different path.

Having said that, there’s probably a lot of people I wouldn’t have met and things I wouldn’t have done if I had made different decisions. "

"Trying it on" and having to return could be risky or life affirming.. Rather know or live in ignorant bliss of what could have been?

over a year ago

Having said that, there’s probably a lot of people I wouldn’t have met and things I wouldn’t have done if I had made different decisions.

"Trying it on" and having to return could be risky or life affirming.. Rather know or live in ignorant bliss of what could have been? "

This reminds me of Sliding Doors

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

My past has made me what I am today if I went back and changed things I'd be afraid I end up being a right cu*t

By *affa31Woman
over a year ago

Galway

"Trying it on" and having to return could be risky or life affirming.. Rather know or live in ignorant bliss of what could have been? "

Live in ignorant bliss! No point in wondering what could’ve been at this stage. Far more important to make the life I am living the happiest it can be.

over a year ago

"My past has made me what I am today if I went back and changed things I'd be afraid I end up being a right cu*t "

Instead of a right dick?

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"My past has made me what I am today if I went back and changed things I'd be afraid I end up being a right cu*t

Instead of a right dick? "

Bite me

By *ublinguy99Man
over a year ago

Dublin South

In reviewing the past you have to stop being hard on yourself. There isnt anyone who doesn't have regrets or the odd cringe. Are there things you would change in hindsight, maybe, but you are not now the person you were then. For those who cant let it go, there's always therapy but even that only helps you cope, it doesnt turn back time.

over a year ago

"Anyone read?

Would you go back to "try out" other versions of your life?

Have you many regrets you wish to erase or would you simply be curious to see what alternate path you may have taken...?

"

I think that’s most folks, whether they would admit to it or not is another matter; but wouldn’t it be such a complicated thing, all those little decisions that changed the course of your life and all the subsequent potential new decisions as a result of changing things.

Change one thing and it changes many other things as a result, a mind blowing concept if you think too deeply about it.

Wonder if Hitler’s mum would have changed things if she knew the course of subsequent history, or was she looking forward to a share in the royalties for the film rights etc?

He loved her dearly we are told but did she regret sending him out to the corner shop to get short changed?

over a year ago

"In reviewing the past you have to stop being hard on yourself. There isnt anyone who doesn't have regrets or the odd cringe. Are there things you would change in hindsight, maybe, but you are not now the person you were then. For those who cant let it go, there's always therapy but even that only helps you cope, it doesnt turn back time."

wise words

over a year ago

I'd definitely do things different done nothing only work through my 20 s and half my 30 s

By *eralt80Man
over a year ago

cork

I’ve read it and enjoyed reading it.

I don’t think I’d want a different life. This one isn't perfect but it’s the one I was dealt and there’s no guarantee the next would be better.

over a year ago

I listened to it on audible and loved it, it made me realise just because the path I'm on right now might not be the best path it also made me realise it might not be the worst it's also made me realise to stop doing things because other people expects it, or they influence the choices I make which in turns makes them happy.

I have numerous occasions where my oath has brought me somewhere and I've often said " in hindsight I should have " but we travel our lives and learn lessons etc a long the way.

By *laveishMan
over a year ago

kildare

It wouldn’t really be life if we could change it

over a year ago

I would probably keep only the beginning and... the end!

But that is just my humble opinion

By *asual777Man
over a year ago

i travel all over

Easy to regret stuff in hindsight but at that time the best or only decisions were Made for a reason

By *ildmovementMan
over a year ago

Dublin

I’m probably in the minority here but no there is nothing I would change. I lived during my 20’s and 30’s and spent way to much money enjoying it while my peers were buying houses. Do I regret it or would I change it! Defiantly not. It was a blast and I have met so many good people on the way as well as a few nasty ones. But you you learn from them all.

I’m blessed really and it’s my past that has given me that so I’m one for all ways looking forward. It’s where the future is.

over a year ago

No point looking back, there is only the now. So many people seem to spend their lives in bitterness and regret due to dwelling on the past

over a year ago

"No point looking back, there is only the now. So many people seem to spend their lives in bitterness and regret due to dwelling on the past"

I completely agree. Look to the things in your life you can control and improve instead of dwelling on what is done and cannot be changed.

By *ensualandslow321Man
over a year ago

Tullamore

You are the culmination of all your life's experiences up to today, good and bad and that makes you who you are. You should know not to repeat bad experiences so look forward with positivity and don't look back

By *dfabMan
over a year ago

Dunboyne

Yeah I would definitely go back and tell my 15yr old self that before you take that first cigarette, this is what you will have spent on them by the time you are 50.

I think that would have stopped me, even at the price they were then.

The car I'd be driving would be very different, the holidays and many other things about my life.

Then again, I wouldn't likely have the same set of friends, perhaps, so I'm not sure that I would want that to change.

Ah! Who knows?

By *avie tCouple
over a year ago

otherside of nowhere

Yes of course there are one or two decisions i would make differently..i think everyone has something given the choice they would do differently....

By *3nsesMan
over a year ago

Dublin

I'd always think if I change that decision would I just end up in a worse position. Those decisions that I regret were great learning experiences.

If I could change things it would be to go back to the positive experiences i've had so I could appreciate and enjoy them more than I prbnaly did at the time. But that's also something I can work on for future situations.

By *heoldhippyMan
over a year ago

Midleton

Focus back on the book, was it not brilliant?

over a year ago

"Focus back on the book, was it not brilliant?"

Thought provoking which is welcomed.. Not sure if I'd attach brilliant to it.

Post new Message to Thread