Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Gay Byrne's legacy in Ireland

Jump to newest

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

This evening, Wednesday June 2, a superb programme was broadcast on RTE 1 about the letters written to Gay Byrne, who died in 2019, during the 27 years of his radio programme.

I think his profound influence on Irish societyis now being fully realised; he was fearless, empathic, insightful, provocative, and so much more.

How has he influenced changing social mores that have impacted on your life?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

[Removed by poster at 02/06/21 23:14:26]

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

He was also the classic "west brit" who declared on numerous occasions that we should hand the country back to the British crown and apologise for the mess we made of it.

Couldn't stand the man at all tbh.

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

I always thought he was a condescending prick but that's just my opinion

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Agree with the 2 lads above 100%

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

He was still presenting the Late Late show the last time I watched it. I found him professional but patronising and as a result never listened to him on the radio or watched a single episode of the Late Late since.

He was one of those who had plenty to say but yet said nothing at all.

By *ustBoWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

He was just a TV/radio presenter who seems to have been on a pedastal for so many.I personally thought he could be quite pretentious and far from empathetic towards some people he spoke to. I cannot think of anything he influenced that would have helped most of the population.

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

His interview of Christine Buckley, about the horrific abuse she suffered in an 'orphanage' opening up discussion about those institutions.

He opened up discussion of the repression of women in Ireland, in particularly how women had to be churches, because having g given birth they were regarded as unclean.

He was the first person to show, on TV, what a condom is, and how it is used. At the time, it was illegal to sell condoms in Ireland.

He exposed the repressed sexual attitudes in Ireland regarded honeymoon sex; when a lady admitted she had worn nothing on her first night of marriage, a member of the clergy rang in and criticised the immorality of being in bed naked. The clergyman was d*unk.

He opened up discussion about domestic violence, divorce, mother and baby homes, forced adoptions, abuse in industrial schools, Magdalene laundries, abuse in Artane, etc.

The incident on air about Ann Lovatt's death in a field with her baby was a watershed.

By *ustBoWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

"His interview of Christine Buckley, about the horrific abuse she suffered in an 'orphanage' opening up discussion about those institutions.

He opened up discussion of the repression of women in Ireland, in particularly how women had to be churches, because having g given birth they were regarded as unclean.

He was the first person to show, on TV, what a condom is, and how it is used. At the time, it was illegal to sell condoms in Ireland.

He exposed the repressed sexual attitudes in Ireland regarded honeymoon sex; when a lady admitted she had worn nothing on her first night of marriage, a member of the clergy rang in and criticised the immorality of being in bed naked. The clergyman was d*unk.

He opened up discussion about domestic violence, divorce, mother and baby homes, forced adoptions, abuse in industrial schools, Magdalene laundries, abuse in Artane, etc.

The incident on air about Ann Lovatt's death in a field with her baby was a watershed.

"

So basically he did he job

over a year ago

"I always thought he was a condescending prick but that's just my opinion"

Insufferable

over a year ago

"He was just a TV/radio presenter who seems to have been on a pedastal for so many.I personally thought he could be quite pretentious and far from empathetic towards some people he spoke to. I cannot think of anything he influenced that would have helped most of the population."

Possibly but he was the person who showed Ireland how to put a condom on a banana . He was the kind of person you either loved or hated but he was a professional at what he did.. From his radio show to the Late Late Show he was RTE's cash cow who got ratings the likes of Tubridy and Duffy could only dream of today.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Believe it or not the last conversation I had with my dad was about Gay Byrne. He watched the Late Late the night before he passed away in 1987 and I never heard him cursing but he told me to turn it off because he couldn't watch that arsehole any longer. His exact words were " He's got a rod up his arse and talks down to everyone". My dad had a much greater impact on my life and left a greater legacy than anyone in the media ever could.

By *etergemmaCouple
over a year ago

South Dublin Area

He was one of a kind and did a lot to try and bring ireland out of the stone age. Some of his topics were very controversial.

But

That interview with Annie Murphy(Bishop Caseys) mistress was disgusting. He made her out to be an absolute whore and casey to be a saint.

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

"From his radio show to the Late Late Show he was RTE's cash cow who got ratings the likes of Tubridy and Duffy could only dream of today. "

It was a different world; there was only one TV station available in most of Ireland and one radio station.

Telephones were exceptionally rare; there was no Internet, no mobile phones, no social media, no commercial radio, emigration was epidemic, poverty was widespread, the church ruled people's lives, and apart from RTE there were a few national newspapers, including the long departed Irish Press.

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

"He was one of a kind and did a lot to try and bring ireland out of the stone age. Some of his topics were very controversial.

But

That interview with Annie Murphy(Bishop Caseys) mistress was disgusting. He made her out to be an absolute whore and casey to be a saint."

Just about to post that alright

She came out of it very well with her last answer about her son

The one I still laugh at

https://youtu.be/KdTCJY9wT3c

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

"

That interview with Annie Murphy(Bishop Caseys) mistress was disgusting. He made her out to be an absolute whore and casey to be a saint."

As far as I am aware Gay Byrne was a friend of Bishop Casey, who did a lot of good work in England for Irish emigrants there.

I don't think it was fair and just how she was treated on tv.

over a year ago

"From his radio show to the Late Late Show he was RTE's cash cow who got ratings the likes of Tubridy and Duffy could only dream of today.

It was a different world; there was only one TV station available in most of Ireland and one radio station.

Telephones were exceptionally rare; there was no Internet, no mobile phones, no social media, no commercial radio, emigration was epidemic, poverty was widespread, the church ruled people's lives, and apart from RTE there were a few national newspapers, including the long departed Irish Press."

But even to the end of his career in the late 90's he was pulling in those figures. People had the British channels from the mid to late 80's so there was plenty of choice in both TV and radio fiir many years before he left.

over a year ago

Casey was another insufferable wanker (I met the man more than once), who decried Andrew Rynne for providing vasectomies which were against Church teachings while having a mistress and child himself.

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

He was definitely like Marmite; you either loved or hated him.

I only watched The Late Late Show intermittently, but I really enjoyed the ambience and range of topics on his radio prog.

Are people aware that he was swindled out of the majority of his life savings and investments by a close friend, Russell Murphy.

He lost practically everything.

By *etergemmaCouple
over a year ago

South Dublin Area

"He was definitely like Marmite; you either loved or hated him.

I only watched The Late Late Show intermittently, but I really enjoyed the ambience and range of topics on his radio prog.

Are people aware that he was swindled out of the majority of his life savings and investments by a close friend, Russell Murphy.

He lost practically everything.

"

former minister Eoghan Murphy's grand dad.. says it all

It was meant to have been a 7 figure sum as well

By *etergemmaCouple
over a year ago

South Dublin Area

"Casey was another insufferable wanker (I met the man more than once), who decried Andrew Rynne for providing vasectomies which were against Church teachings while having a mistress and child himself. "
Thats unfortunate for you to have to share same space as that prick.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"Casey was another insufferable wanker (I met the man more than once), who decried Andrew Rynne for providing vasectomies which were against Church teachings while having a mistress and child himself. "

Hypocricy is an abominable trait. Holding beliefs that are wrong or questionable is bad enough but believing one thing and preaching the opposite is beyond contempt. I was in my local church a few years ago when the parish priest declared from the altar that anyone voting in favour of marriage equality should not be there, so I stood up and walked out, as did a couple of others. 6 months later I hear from a niece of mine that the same priest visited the school and in an informal chat with the leaving cert students announced that he himself had voted in favour of it. I'd have had so much more respect for him if he had stock to his guns, bad and all as his opinion was.

By *appytoadsCouple
over a year ago

West Dublin

As someone said he was like marmite, but watching last night I was shocked at the help his fund gave to ordinary people and the voice he gave women on his show. Some of the letters were harrowing to say the least. His treatment of Annie Murphy was scandalous.

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I wasn't hanging out in Ireland when he was in his heydays. It looks like he was far from perfect but at least had the courage to tackle taboo topics and contributed to the process of Ireland becoming a more secular country. Unlike the overpaid cronie bunch you have these days at RTE.

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

Don't speak ill of the dead.. I thought gaybo was great.. Infinitely better than the insufferable snob that is Tubridy..

By *ensualandslow321Man
over a year ago

Tullamore

"I wasn't hanging out in Ireland when he was in his heydays. It looks like he was far from perfect but at least had the courage to tackle taboo topics and contributed to the process of Ireland becoming a more secular country. Unlike the overpaid cronie bunch you have these days at RTE. "

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

"Don't speak ill of the dead.. I thought gaybo was great.. Infinitely better than the insufferable snob that is Tubridy.. "

Why can't you speak I'll of the dead ? There's lots of dead people who where cunts Hitler for one. So we can't say anything bad about Hitler ??

over a year ago

Watch the episode of Gerry Adams... Gay and 6 others very hostile towards Gerry who held his own very well. He wouldn't even sit beside him for first part of show also wouldn't even shake his hand. Those views are still very much in present government always lookin back to SF past when debating.

over a year ago

Bumped into him outside Michael Guineys on Talbot Street once. I miss that store, a one stop shop for bed linen, Crosshatch T-shirts, Thinsulate hats&gloves. Or knock off sunglasses and belts.

The possibilities were endless @ Guiney's.

over a year ago

"Watch the episode of Gerry Adams... Gay and 6 others very hostile towards Gerry who held his own very well. He wouldn't even sit beside him for first part of show also wouldn't even shake his hand. Those views are still very much in present government always lookin back to SF past when debating. "

Tubridy did the same to Paul Murphy of People Before Profit.. RTE's way of ensuring their paymasters in FFG are made to look good.. Which is like putting lipstick on a pig.

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

"Don't speak ill of the dead.. I thought gaybo was great.. Infinitely better than the insufferable snob that is Tubridy..

Why can't you speak I'll of the dead ? There's lots of dead people who where cunts Hitler for one. So we can't say anything bad about Hitler ?? "

you cant possibly draw comparison between hitler and Gay byrne..try keep it in context

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"Don't speak ill of the dead.. I thought gaybo was great.. Infinitely better than the insufferable snob that is Tubridy..

Why can't you speak I'll of the dead ? There's lots of dead people who where cunts Hitler for one. So we can't say anything bad about Hitler ??

you cant possibly draw comparison between hitler and Gay byrne..try keep it in context "

They're both dead. You said "don't speak ill of the dead".

You didn't say "don't speak ill of some specific dead people, although it may indeed be acceptable to speak ill of some other specific dead people" which is clearly what you meant.

over a year ago

you cant possibly draw comparison between hitler and Gay byrne..try keep it in context

You didn't say "don't speak ill of some specific dead people, although it may indeed be acceptable to speak ill of some other specific dead people" which is clearly what you meant. "

Happy to see Godwin's law playing out:

As a discussion on the Internet progresses, the likelihood that a person will be compared to Hitler or the Nazis approaches 1.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

You didn't say "don't speak ill of some specific dead people, although it may indeed be acceptable to speak ill of some other specific dead people" which is clearly what you meant.

As a discussion on the Internet progresses, the likelihood that a person will be compared to Hitler or the Nazis approaches 1.

"

Do I get royalties for the Godwin reference?

over a year ago

Do I get royalties for the Godwin reference? "

Haha, fair play! I had never heard it before you posted it here, but now I see it everywhere

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Do I get royalties for the Godwin reference?

Haha, fair play! I had never heard it before you posted it here, but now I see it everywhere "

First heard it a few years ago when sitting in on a disciplinary hearing involving 2 members of staff, one from Poland and one from Hungary so you can imagine the issues that reference caused.

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

you cant possibly draw comparison between hitler and Gay byrne..try keep it in context "

Well the Catholic church loved both of them that's one ha ha ha

over a year ago

"His interview of Christine Buckley, about the horrific abuse she suffered in an 'orphanage' opening up discussion about those institutions.

"

At a backward time this seems very good..

. Wait Guineys doesn't exist anymore??!! What!?

over a year ago

I was never gone on him but there is no way Pat Kenny or that other overpaid plank (500 grand a year for 8 hours work a week) would have let Padraig Flynn ramble on like he did. Whatever did happen with that Moriarty tribunal??

And I will forever be grateful to him for giving us that boyzone debut dance That clip with go down in Irish folklore. It's up there with ya man slipping on the ice and Teresa Mannion's weather report

By *iktikiCouple
over a year ago

city centre

"He was one of a kind and did a lot to try and bring ireland out of the stone age. Some of his topics were very controversial.

But

By *dfabMan
over a year ago

Dunboyne

"Don't speak ill of the dead.. I thought gaybo was great.. Infinitely better than the insufferable snob that is Tubridy.. "

This

To a degree.

There were some things, like that Casey moment, where he could have been better but, overall I think he did a lot of good.

Watching highlights of recent Late Late tonight and Tubridy is a wanker in comparison, spineless and a sycophantic gobshite!

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Ryan Tubridy is shallow and superficial; Joe Duffy has more depth and should replace Tubridy on the early morning slot on RTE Radio 1.

I have a hunch that Tubridy won't last more than another couple of seasons.

By *ichael McCarthyMan
over a year ago

Lucan

"Ryan Tubridy is shallow and superficial; Joe Duffy has more depth and should replace Tubridy on the early morning slot on RTE Radio 1.

I have a hunch that Tubridy won't last more than another couple of seasons. "

You have to be trolling at this point. Ffs, Joe Duffy. Jesus Christ!

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

"Ryan Tubridy is shallow and superficial; Joe Duffy has more depth and should replace Tubridy on the early morning slot on RTE Radio 1.

I have a hunch that Tubridy won't last more than another couple of seasons. "

Tubridys morning show is desperate.. Oliver callan is filling in at the moment as Tubridy takes a break and he's doing a great job

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

I have a hunch that Tubridy won't last more than another couple of seasons.

You have to be trolling at this point. Ffs, Joe Duffy. Jesus Christ! "

Agree with you on Duffy... Arsehole

By *ubal1 OP   Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Oliver Callan is a good broadcaster and very talented; what specifically is wrong with Joe Duffy?

I don't like Ryan Tubridy because I find him to be superficial, insincere, forced, sycophantic, irritating, boring, and in need of being replaced asap. He ran out of steam a long time ago.

At least Joe Duffy seems to be interested in his interviewees.

By *rBmBMan
over a year ago

City

Interesting range of views here. He certainly didn't always get it right - I would agree he treated Annie Murphy very shoddily.

However love him or loathe him he was an incredible broadcaster....watch the Padraig Flynn interview on YouTube to get a sense of him at the top of his game....he is masterful how he leads 'Pee' up the garden path. You rarely get moments like this anymore and it takes real skill to get someone to open up like that....

He was also a man of his time....it is a little unfair to judge him by the standards of today. Pompous, self righteous at times...sure but I think overall he had a positive impact on the evolution of Irish culture.

over a year ago

I just loved the way he spoke "proper".

I don't like bad grammar, had a teacher in school who spoke just like him, brings back happy memories

over a year ago

To understand Gay Byrne's legacy, you have to cast your mind back to the 70s and 80s, to a country repressed and no way for ordinary people to have their say. Many were treated appallingly at the time, by society, institutions and their own families. Gay Byrne gave then a voice when they had no-one else to turn to and this led to debate being opened up and taboos finally being broken. He wasn't perfect, sure, but then again who is? Possessing one of the most distinctive voices in broadcasting, he took his place centre stage in raising and facilitating debate on many of the issues in Ireland at the time. His was a unique talent, the likes of which will never be seen again.

I met him once and I'll say I thought he was an absolute gentleman.

Post new Message to Thread