Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Quitting Smoking

Jump to newest

By * peas in a pod OP   Couple
over a year ago

Youghal

I'm curious as to whether anyone has undergone therapy with a hynosis (not allowed to post full word) to stop smoking and if it worked or not for you. I've tried everything under the sun, Zyban and Champix didn't work, patches, inhaler, gum, etc etc I can never get past day 3 so I'm currently researching this option and would love to hear from people who have actually done this whether it was successful or not.

Thank you in advance for your comments

Mrs. Pea

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Tried h***osis, it didn't work for me. Therapist insisted the fact I meditate interfered with the process, as in he couldn't plant subtle cues in my head because I was adept at catching them and rejecting. Still cos me 300 quid at the time.

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

After doing all the things that were available to me over the years patches which i often had two on and still smoked champix and still smoked half resigned to that fast that I was doomed to brown teeth and a horrible death

I went to a guy in 2007 went to dublin to this guy I bought a 20 pk leaving Limerick by the time I met this guy I had only nine left in the pk he sent me out for one last one and that eight remained in that pk for three months before I threw them away.

I lasted just over three years off them that time which was a great success in my eyes considering I was on over 60 a day, in a lapse of judgement I smoked one with a pint one night and the following day I done 40 and back to 60 the next day

Three years later I went cold turkey I think I lasted a year and on the 19th of Oct 2017 I again went cold turkey and am still holding out even though I have pulled one maybe twice in that time

You need to have the desire and will power to go off them otherwise hyp won't work

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

Good luck in ur quest to be smoke free

over a year ago

Try the E cigarette, I was a 40 cigarette a day man and now I'm just e cigarette. Hopefully i will be totally free of them soon

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

"Try the E cigarette, I was a 40 cigarette a day man and now I'm just e cigarette. Hopefully i will be totally free of them soon "

+1 vaping is much cleaner delivery of nicotine than smoking normal cigarettes..

over a year ago

"Try the E cigarette, I was a 40 cigarette a day man and now I'm just e cigarette. Hopefully i will be totally free of them soon

+1 vaping is much cleaner delivery of nicotine than smoking normal cigarettes.. "

I wonder what we will discover about it in a few years time though and the harm it does

over a year ago

"Try the E cigarette, I was a 40 cigarette a day man and now I'm just e cigarette. Hopefully i will be totally free of them soon

I wonder what we will discover about it in a few years time though and the harm it does"

No matter what we find out. I don't think it will be any worse health wise or financially tbh

over a year ago

Youghal

That's one of my concerns. It's not cheap and the ones I've spoken to say you need to open to the idea of it and not sure I am. Thank you for your comments xx

over a year ago

Youghal

No, I don't want to vape. As bad as smoking is for me, at least I know the issues that causes. No one knows what damage vaping is causing. Devil I know is better lol

over a year ago

Youghal

3 years is a great achievement. I barely last 3 days At least you keep on trying and that's all we can do.

over a year ago

Youghal

Thank you and keep up the great work you are doing

over a year ago

It takes incredible will power

I never thought I could do it but more than 3 months off them now, just went cold turkey

Think of the money you can save, start putting it aside for a treat

Distract yourself every time that craving hits, it passes quite quickly if you do something else

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

A long time ago but the gum did it for me finally after a few tries...18 yrs off them now

Have something for your hands to play with...in my case a bic pen ...chewing on the end of it...its a habit ..for your mouth and hands.

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

I wonder what we will discover about it in a few years time though and the harm it does"

Of course it's not 100% safe nothing is.. Vaping still contains some of the chemicals found in normal cigarettes but at a much much less concentration.. I know people vaping 10 years and they are very healthy.. There have been some cases of lung damage.. A condition called pop corn lung but nearly all of these cases were associated with vaping thc/cannabis liquid so normal vaping juice is very safe.. Look on YouTube at that vaping V smoking comparison experiment and the evidence is there for all to see https://youtu.be/0Pwj6BuS8Ds

over a year ago

I wonder what we will discover about it in a few years time though and the harm it does

Of course it's not 100% safe nothing is.. Vaping still contains some of the chemicals found in normal cigarettes but at a much much less concentration.. I know people vaping 10 years and they are very healthy.. There have been some cases of lung damage.. A condition called pop corn lung but nearly all of these cases were associated with vaping thc/cannabis liquid so normal vaping juice is very safe.. Look on YouTube at that vaping V smoking comparison experiment and the evidence is there for all to see https://youtu.be/0Pwj6BuS8Ds"

It hasn't been around long enough for a decent study

Could be long term effects which aren't evident yet

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

Of course it's not 100% safe nothing is.. Vaping still contains some of the chemicals found in normal cigarettes but at a much much less concentration.. I know people vaping 10 years and they are very healthy.. There have been some cases of lung damage.. A condition called pop corn lung but nearly all of these cases were associated with vaping thc/cannabis liquid so normal vaping juice is very safe.. Look on YouTube at that vaping V smoking comparison experiment and the evidence is there for all to see https://youtu.be/0Pwj6BuS8Ds

It hasn't been around long enough for a decent study

Could be long term effects which aren't evident yet"

That's true.. Its 95% safer than smoking cigarettes though.. That has to count for something..

over a year ago

It's all in your head, but to get the head right is very difficult.

I was off them for 3 years, and every day was a nightmare, I used to dream about being old and smoking again. I eventually went back on them, I was on and off for years. Then 1 night I said feck it, I'm not doing this. Lasted 3 months, 1 night after a bad day I took a cigarette from a friend, lit it up and took one drag and threw it away. Haven't wanted one since, 5 years ago. It's a poxy drug that you associate with reward, remove that or replace it and you will stop.

Seemingly more people who have quit than currently smoke.

By *ka ..Agent k ..Man
over a year ago

Meath, Louth border of Monaghan & Naughty,

..As Bm rightly says its about finding a new talent for lips and hands

By *urious g300Man
over a year ago

Galway

Try weaning yourself off them over a week or two. Eg. If smoking 2 an hour try cut back to one an hour, for the first day, the next day stretch it out a bit further. If you take 3 steps forward and 1 step back, in the end you will hit your target. To help with the extra stress look at (auther Patrick McKeown) for breathing exercises to reduce stress, they do work. Smoke and mirror effect.

After 20 years heavy smoking it worked for me. I found the first few hours the hardest.

By *dfabMan
over a year ago

Dunboyne

OP you didn't mention Allen Carr book Easyway to stop smoking.

Worked for me for 18mths and a particular horrible day in work was the reason I finally broke.

Worth a try as it really does work on the mind.

If you go Hipno route and it costs €250-300, you'll likely save more than that in the time between treatment and possible breaking of resistance, so still a win.

I'm trying Hipno soon myself and hoping it breaks the Camels (sorry) back

By *cottybear74Man
over a year ago

kilkenny

I quit smoking over 6 years ago and vaping really helped with the craving... I was a 2 pack a day smoker

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

I've recently started to smoke the occasional cigarette after a long period of nonsmoking. Stress is my trigger.

I firmly believe that hipnosis doesn't exist and its mostly intimidation and theatrics, so I won't be trying that

By *heMystroMan
over a year ago

Dublin

I tried it and it didn’t work fully, I lapsed and then read the Allan Carr book and I’m off them 11 years. Was very sceptical about it but it did work. Good luck . ??

over a year ago

Youghal

About the one thing I didn't try was the Allen Carr book. I would be very sceptical that reading a book would break the habit. I started at 13 being an idiot trying to impress some boy and now almost 40 and still going so dubious if a book would fix that. I know it's more a mental thing as after day 3 the nicotine has left your system and after that its down to mental strength and will power which clearly I don't have lol

over a year ago

Youghal

I've also been looking into acupuncture which has a very high success rate and maybe that might work better for me. I'll continue my research and maybe give the book a try. Something has to work eventually right?.

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

How much is a packet of 20 cigarettes in the shops

over a year ago

Youghal

"How much is a packet of 20 cigarettes in the shops "

I pay €12.80 a pack for my brand plus 0.35 cent for 1 Blaas because I like the menthol. I buy 60 + 3 every 2 days so I know how much I'm spending and it's sickening

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

"How much is a packet of 20 cigarettes in the shops

I pay €12.80 a pack for my brand plus 0.35 cent for 1 Blaas because I like the menthol. I buy 60 + 3 every 2 days so I know how much I'm spending and it's sickening "

There's a reason alone to stop

You need to earn about 10k before tax to pay for them each year

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

Just quit.. Get thick about it and tell yourself you won't smoke again.. You might not sleep for a few days but it goes back to normal very soon.. Just drink cold water everytime you have a craving..

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"It takes incredible will power

I never thought I could do it but more than 3 months off them now, just went cold turkey

Think of the money you can save, start putting it aside for a treat

Distract yourself every time that craving hits, it passes quite quickly if you do something else"

I have something here for u to pull on it will distract u for a bit

over a year ago

Yeah off them three years now .don't think about tomorrow only prepare for each day, it will screw your mind, the spray did it for me,read the instructions and follow them . If going cold turkey each time an urge hits take three deep full breaths and the craving will pass .you'll have to train your mind to forget them .at the end or each day congratulate your self for not smoking.its the simple stops that'll let you get over it.

over a year ago

"I've also been looking into acupuncture which has a very high success rate and maybe that might work better for me. I'll continue my research and maybe give the book a try. Something has to work eventually right?. "

Acupuncture has no proven science behind it (people swear it works) but seemingly it's the attention you receive that has the positive effect. You might as well burn incense and chant, save yourself a few quid.

Just decide not smoke and dont do it that's all anyone who stops does

By *rossflow daveMan
over a year ago

Mullingar

The best bit of advice I ever got was not to think of it as giving up or quitting, that makes it seem like a sacrifice where as you need to try and see it as a positive change, set yourself a short term goal for the money you will save and treat yourself, even if you slip just try again straight away, best of luck

By *ustin-SiderMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Over the years when I tried to quit smoking. I found that gums and patches and all those things never really worked. During my longest period of not smoking (3 years) it all boiled down to sheer will power. It's all in the mind, you only think you need it but you really don't. Your mind tells you that you're craving a cigarette because your body has become so used to it. Then when you take those draws of a cigarette it makes you feel good simply because you are satisfying that craving. Think about that. Who is in control? The cigarettes or you?

You could try installing an app called Get Rich Or Die Smoking (it's free). I found it was a huge help to me.

You input all the info according to your own smoking habit and then there are health bars to show your own progress.....ie, after 20 minutes, 2 hours, 8 hours, 2 days, 3 days, a week (it goes up to years).

The bars fill up the closer you get to the end of those periods and it also says under each bar what you have achieved once it is full.

So for example after 20 minutes it would say your blood pressure decreases and the body temperature of your hands and feet increases.

After 8 hours the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal - the bad breath disappears.

Every time I got a craving I would look at those bars and see all my progress and tell myself that if I touched a cigarette all that progress and my hard work would be gone and those nasty things listed would be happening to my body again.

It also lets you know how many cigarettes, how much tar and how much nicotine you have been without since you quit and how long it has been since you quit as well as much money you have saved since quitting.

Looking at it really is a good motivation.

You are stronger than you realise. Good luck. It is hard to quit but with enough determination you can do it.

By *ccasional couple 32Couple
over a year ago

mayo

Acupuncture was the only thing that worked for me after 30 years of smoking and numerous attempts to give up . I still get the odd urge, but it goes after a few seconds . It may work for you or it may not , if you don’t try, you’ll never know ! Good luck with it OP !

By *ilverfox74Man
over a year ago

dublin offaly

"I'm curious as to whether anyone has undergone therapy with a hynosis (not allowed to post full word) to stop smoking and if it worked or not for you. I've tried everything under the sun, Zyban and Champix didn't work, patches, inhaler, gum, etc etc I can never get past day 3 so I'm currently researching this option and would love to hear from people who have actually done this whether it was successful or not.

Thank you in advance for your comments

Mrs. Pea"

A friend of mine who didn’t believe in it went with a friend of his just for support and quit smoking after it. It hard to know what is the right processes. I quit myself 13 years ago. The time has to be right. I have never looked back. Cold turkey and to be honest it wasn’t that hard. Maybe other people around me might have thought differently. Unless you truly want to as opposed to needing to it will be easier I’m my opinion.

over a year ago

Youghal

I'm booked in for Acupuncture next Wednesday so fingers crossed this will be it.

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate the advice

By *ka ..Agent k ..Man
over a year ago

Meath, Louth border of Monaghan & Naughty,

Nobody ever try the Belgium hýpnotist that attends North dub hotel each month,apparently very good success rate..

over a year ago

"Thank you and keep up the great work you are doing "

You can do it!!!

Used to smoke myself,quite in one day... only coz I was travelling to country where waping was illegal

I needed reason good enough to quit it.

Believe in yourself,occupie your mind ,and magic will happen.

over a year ago

Youghal

"Over the years when I tried to quit smoking. I found that gums and patches and all those things never really worked. During my longest period of not smoking (3 years) it all boiled down to sheer will power. It's all in the mind, you only think you need it but you really don't. Your mind tells you that you're craving a cigarette because your body has become so used to it. Then when you take those draws of a cigarette it makes you feel good simply because you are satisfying that craving. Think about that. Who is in control? The cigarettes or you?

You could try installing an app called Get Rich Or Die Smoking (it's free). I found it was a huge help to me.

You input all the info according to your own smoking habit and then there are health bars to show your own progress.....ie, after 20 minutes, 2 hours, 8 hours, 2 days, 3 days, a week (it goes up to years).

The bars fill up the closer you get to the end of those periods and it also says under each bar what you have achieved once it is full.

So for example after 20 minutes it would say your blood pressure decreases and the body temperature of your hands and feet increases.

After 8 hours the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal - the bad breath disappears.

Every time I got a craving I would look at those bars and see all my progress and tell myself that if I touched a cigarette all that progress and my hard work would be gone and those nasty things listed would be happening to my body again.

It also lets you know how many cigarettes, how much tar and how much nicotine you have been without since you quit and how long it has been since you quit as well as much money you have saved since quitting.

You are stronger than you realise. Good luck. It is hard to quit but with enough determination you can do it."

This app is a great motivator, thank you for the recommendation.

It's god awful depressing the lifetime spend of smoking it estimated and that has been motivation in itself.

Congratulations on your 3 years, good work

By *3nsesMan
over a year ago

Dublin

I smoked because I was anxious and stressed and I found it helped "relief" that stress. But it was all a subconscious trick that made me feel I needed to smoke. It might help to analyse why you smoke and when you do and then think of alternatives other than a cigarette in those situations.

By *dfabMan
over a year ago

Dunboyne

"Over the years when I tried to quit smoking. I found that gums and patches and all those things never really worked. During my longest period of not smoking (3 years) it all boiled down to sheer will power. It's all in the mind, you only think you need it but you really don't. Your mind tells you that you're craving a cigarette because your body has become so used to it. Then when you take those draws of a cigarette it makes you feel good simply because you are satisfying that craving. Think about that. Who is in control? The cigarettes or you?

You are stronger than you realise. Good luck. It is hard to quit but with enough determination you can do it."

Why does that app need access to photos and camera?

Hasn't been updated in over 5yrs.

Still a valid option?

By *nythingsoloCouple
over a year ago

Sexy town

I mr quit 18 weeks ago. Woke up one Friday morning told myself I wanted to be around longer for the kids and decided Monday morning I would smoke my last one which I did and have not looked back.

over a year ago

Youghal

"I mr quit 18 weeks ago. Woke up one Friday morning told myself I wanted to be around longer for the kids and decided Monday morning I would smoke my last one which I did and have not looked back. "

Congratulations. Determination and will power are definitely factors in a successful quitting attempt.

over a year ago

Youghal

You are stronger than you realise. Good luck. It is hard to quit but with enough determination you can do it.

Why does that app need access to photos and camera?

Hasn't been updated in over 5yrs.

Still a valid option?"

I'm using a different app but it's still very good and doesn't require access to all information on my phone which I always find dodgy

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

A placebo is a powerful thing. Hipnosis. acupuncture, homeopathy. All total nonsense, but the power of the mind and its ability to effect the body is proven scientifically over and over again.

over a year ago

Youghal

"A placebo is a powerful thing. Hipnosis. acupuncture, homeopathy. All total nonsense, but the power of the mind and its ability to effect the body is proven scientifically over and over again. "

I'd normally agree and say it's all total nonsense and a waste of money, however, I had the acupuncture done last Wednesday morning and haven't touched a cigarette since. I don't know if it was the acupuncture or if the placebo effect is what's working or maybe this time I was just more determined but somethings working for me. This is the longest I've lasted quitting.

By *ettaManMan
over a year ago

Kerry and Dublin

"I'm curious as to whether anyone has undergone therapy with a hynosis (not allowed to post full word) to stop smoking and if it worked or not for you."

Best of luck with it pea*, it's an absolute fucker of a habit to kick, but it is possible. Drinking can be the killer, so if you can figure out strategies for when you're drinking (or any other triggers) that can help.

I listened to the Paul McKenna stop smoking programme, once upon a time, and it worked for me, but I wasn't drinking at the time. I did end up going back on them when I started back drinking.

Have you tried the Nicorrette quick mist? That kept me off them for ages. It's horrible in the beginning, but you get used to it after a while. I weaned myself off it by alternating between it and the mints. I got about a year out of that, but I went back on them again, triggered by a social situation. I was abroad at the time and the quick mist wasn't available there.

I'm currently off them two and a half years now. I had to go cold turkey bcos I was staying in a meditation centre and smoking wasn't allowed. That helped obviously, but I trained myself to imagine I was getting violently sick every time I got a craving, so it eventually became a habit - I'd get a craving and then imagine myself getting violently sick. I don't really get cravings anymore, but the thought does occasionally arsie about having one, so I still use the visualisation then.

Seriously, best of luck with it and know that it is possible.

*assuming it's only none of the two peas who is trying to quit.

over a year ago

The inhaler was the best thing for me. I quit in November 2017 and I have been off them since! I tried to get back on them a few times on nights out when d*unk. But I hate the taste of them now..

Post new Message to Thread