Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Badgers

Jump to newest

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

Bit of a random question but could use some advice. I’m having a bit of a problem with a badger managing to unlock and open my food bin at night and making a huge mess in my garden. I’ve tried blocking the bin in with bigger objects but he always manages to get at it. Does anyone have any advice? I know bringing the food bin in at night is an option but don’t really want to be doing that.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

Try spraying the bin/area with lion pee or similar.

Just remember badgers are a protected species and you can do anything that could physically harm them

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"Try spraying the bin/area with lion pee or similar.

Just remember badgers are a protected species and you can do anything that could physically harm them"

I’ve heard that male pee is supposed to deter them actually, good idea.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Would you not leave out food for him? He's obsviously hungry...or maybe the Badger is a She with cubs to feed.

I've never seen a real live Badger... Wow

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"Would you not leave out food for him? He's obsviously hungry...or maybe the Badger is a She with cubs to feed.

I've never seen a real live Badger... Wow"

I’d have no problem leaving out food but I’d just be afraid to attracting rats and stuff. It very well could be a she.

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

How do you know it's a badger; could it be a fox?

over a year ago

Try a light sensor to scare them away or maybe leave some dog nuts out for the hungry guy, then they won't be after the bin

By *rprotonMan
over a year ago

Dublin

*chuckles* I can see a line of fab men lining up to piss up the place

over a year ago

Honestly guard I was just protecting this wall from badgers

over a year ago

Use a bungee cord to keep the lid down

By *eralt80Man
over a year ago

cork

Ahh, I thought this was an appreciation thread for gentlemen with greying hair

over a year ago

"Try a light sensor to scare them away or maybe leave some dog nuts out for the hungry guy, then they won't be after the bin "

^^^^^^^^ I'd defo leave dog nuts out for the poor fella

over a year ago

A light with a sensor will do the trick badgers don't like bright lights...kinda like gremlins

over a year ago

"Bit of a random question but could use some advice. I’m having a bit of a problem with a badger managing to unlock and open my food bin at night and making a huge mess in my garden. I’ve tried blocking the bin in with bigger objects but he always manages to get at it. Does anyone have any advice? I know bringing the food bin in at night is an option but don’t really want to be doing that. "

Very unusual that a Badger would come near a house as they would not be known to eat "human" food

More than likely it's a Fox or maybe a Dog

over a year ago

"Bit of a random question but could use some advice. I’m having a bit of a problem with a badger managing to unlock and open my food bin at night and making a huge mess in my garden. I’ve tried blocking the bin in with bigger objects but he always manages to get at it. Does anyone have any advice? I know bringing the food bin in at night is an option but don’t really want to be doing that.

Very unusual that a Badger would come near a house as they would not be known to eat "human" food

More than likely it's a Fox or maybe a Dog"

Possibly one of the Healy-Raes

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"How do you know it's a badger; could it be a fox?"

Cause he frightened the life out of me... went to the back door to see what all the noise was about and there he was. Haha.

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"Bit of a random question but could use some advice. I’m having a bit of a problem with a badger managing to unlock and open my food bin at night and making a huge mess in my garden. I’ve tried blocking the bin in with bigger objects but he always manages to get at it. Does anyone have any advice? I know bringing the food bin in at night is an option but don’t really want to be doing that.

More than likely it's a Fox or maybe a Dog"

Nope.. caught him in the act. Haha

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"Use a bungee cord to keep the lid down "

I’ll definitely give this a try. Thank you.

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"How do you know it's a badger; could it be a fox?"

Caught him in the act.

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"A light with a sensor will do the trick badgers don't like bright lights...kinda like gremlins "

Thank you. I’ll give it a go

By *reland8Man
over a year ago

sandyford

I think leaving our food will make the situation worse? If there is something there (food/bin full of food) to attract them they will keep coming back, and if it is a female with babies, she’ll start bringing her babies too (this is where we eat guys!)

Secure the bin lid and it’ll get fed up and move on

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"Honestly guard I was just protecting this wall from badgers"

Haha I’ll vouch for you

over a year ago

"Use a bungee cord to keep the lid down

I’ll definitely give this a try. Thank you. "

I’ve a dog local that raids the bins so this is a must for me

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"Ahh, I thought this was an appreciation thread for gentlemen with greying hair "

Awh. We’ll do one of them next haha

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"I think leaving our food will make the situation worse? If there is something there (food/bin full of food) to attract them they will keep coming back, and if it is a female with babies, she’ll start bringing her babies too (this is where we eat guys!)

Secure the bin lid and it’ll get fed up and move on

"

Thank you

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"*chuckles* I can see a line of fab men lining up to piss up the place"

imagine “get in line please!”

By *ohnsmithMan
over a year ago

South Tipperary

Any block button in the bottom of your garden....

over a year ago

"Ahh, I thought this was an appreciation thread for gentlemen with greying hair "

We could be “lucky” some day

over a year ago

Try picking up some cheap aftershave and spray lots of it around where the badger is getting in. If my experience is anything to go by when I'm out everyone scampers off pretty quickly once they get the scent off me

No but seriously the smell is way too strong for them and the will hate it. Couple of nights in a row of that and it should solve your problem

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"Try picking up some cheap aftershave and spray lots of it around where the badger is getting in. If my experience is anything to go by when I'm out everyone scampers off pretty quickly once they get the scent off me

No but seriously the smell is way too strong for them and the will hate it. Couple of nights in a row of that and it should solve your problem"

Awh!! Haha I’ll give it a go. Thank you.

By *ofusplusCouple
over a year ago

Limerick

I'd be delighted to see a badger around my house, gorgeous creatures.

Feed the badger and get a cat to keep the rats and mice away

over a year ago

"I'd be delighted to see a badger around my house, gorgeous creatures.

Feed the badger and get a cat to keep the rats and mice away "

^^^^^^^^^ This

over a year ago

"Bit of a random question but could use some advice. I’m having a bit of a problem with a badger managing to unlock and open my food bin at night and making a huge mess in my garden. I’ve tried blocking the bin in with bigger objects but he always manages to get at it. Does anyone have any advice? I know bringing the food bin in at night is an option but don’t really want to be doing that. "

Ask it to go halves, that should do it!

over a year ago

Leave food out for it

over a year ago

You need to get a French lovestruck skunk. The skunk will inevitably form an unrequited love with the badger, falsly believing it too to be a skunk.

After an episode of romantic advances, rejections and mishaps, the violated badger will surely run away, while the forlorn skunk moves on to his next adventure.

By *ateniteCouple
over a year ago

Youghal

Lived in Cyprus for many years and when we first got there we had a problem with feral cats and dogs knocking over bins etc.

We took advice from neighbours and sprayed the bins with vinegar or pepper. Problem went away. Not sure how effective it would be in wet ole Ireland, one shower and its gone. Also with Irish prices you'd be broke from buying vinegar

A physical barrier might be your only bet.

By *antra MassageMan
over a year ago

Wicklow

You're lucky to have a visiting badger. Lock the bin, and feed the badger.

By *ofusplusCouple
over a year ago

Limerick

"You need to get a French lovestruck skunk. The skunk will inevitably form an unrequited love with the badger, falsly believing it too to be a skunk.

After an episode of romantic advances, rejections and mishaps, the violated badger will surely run away, while the forlorn skunk moves on to his next adventure. "

That's great advice OP

Failing that, consider my advice as plan B, get the cat

By *eralt80Man
over a year ago

cork

"You need to get a French lovestruck skunk. The skunk will inevitably form an unrequited love with the badger, falsly believing it too to be a skunk.

After an episode of romantic advances, rejections and mishaps, the violated badger will surely run away, while the forlorn skunk moves on to his next adventure.

That's great advice OP

Failing that, consider my advice as plan B, get the cat "

And then get a dog to get rid of the cat, where will it end

By *ofusplusCouple
over a year ago

Limerick

That's great advice OP

And then get a dog to get rid of the cat, where will it end "

When the dog kills the badger?

By *anFromMarsMan
over a year ago

North

Dont feed them, people make the same mistake with foxes thinking the poor thing must be hungry and have pups to feed, they are meant to survive and forage in the wild not pop to the nearest wheelie bin to grab a take away like we would a McD's.

Urban sprawl and easy access is why they do it not out of necessity. They don't get the dietary requirements they need from your bin or from dog food you would leave out, they just do it because it's there and they develope a habit for the easy way.

In some parts of the states it would be bears going through your bins and they have gotten very braisen at it, will wonder in during broad daylight and pull your bin apart infront of you, even go into peoples houses and garages because they know the bin is there and feeding any wild animal will only encourage the behaviour. If you have a shed put your bin away at night or the bungy cord trick as mentioned above. They are a protected species but we don't want obese badgers and foxes that can't fend for themselves.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 01/05/21 01:03:20]

over a year ago

That's great advice OP

When the dog kills the badger? "

We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the dogs. Then introduce a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat. The beautiful part... when wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

By *j47Man
over a year ago

limerick

"Dont feed them, people make the same mistake with foxes thinking the poor thing must be hungry and have pups to feed, they are meant to survive and forage in the wild not pop to the nearest wheelie bin to grab a take away like we would a McD's.

Urban sprawl and easy access is why they do it not out of necessity. They don't get the dietary requirements they need from your bin or from dog food you would leave out, they just do it because it's there and they develope a habit for the easy way.

In some parts of the states it would be bears going through your bins and they have gotten very braisen at it, will wonder in during broad daylight and pull your bin apart infront of you, even go into peoples houses and garages because they know the bin is there and feeding any wild animal will only encourage the behaviour. If you have a shed put your bin away at night or the bungy cord trick as mentioned above. They are a protected species but we don't want obese badgers and foxes that can't fend for themselves."

By *iego100Man
over a year ago

idaho

Remember badgers can be infected with TB and can be infectious themselves ..

If you contact the department of agri , they will send some one to trap him/ her.

By *eralt80Man
over a year ago

cork

That's great advice OP

We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the dogs. Then introduce a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat. The beautiful part... when wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

"

By *ofusplusCouple
over a year ago

Limerick

That's great advice OP

"

By *oo32Man
over a year ago

tipperary

Alabos oil...or set up a sensor light

By *ippcoupe2Couple
over a year ago

cahir/cashel

And then they cull them regardless of being infected with TB or not.

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

Best option is to confront it and give it a good telling off but don't be barefoot.. A friend of mine did that once ran outside barefoot and roared at a badger that was eating out of his bin and it growled at him and locked onto to 1 of his big toes.. Had to spend a night in A&E and was on crutches for a week.. Lost his toe nail.. They can be vicious when challenged

By *iego100Man
over a year ago

idaho

They are culled only as a last resort, vaccinations have to be tried first ...

that is the law .

By *anKinkyMan
over a year ago

Carrick on Shannon

Are you certain it's a Badger and not a Pine Marten??

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"Bit of a random question but could use some advice. I’m having a bit of a problem with a badger managing to unlock and open my food bin at night and making a huge mess in my garden. I’ve tried blocking the bin in with bigger objects but he always manages to get at it. Does anyone have any advice? I know bringing the food bin in at night is an option but don’t really want to be doing that. Are you certain it's a Badger and not a Pine Marten??"

Yes. I saw it.

By *nna K OP   Woman
over a year ago

Killarney

"Leave food out for it "

No. I don’t want rats.

By *anKinkyMan
over a year ago

Carrick on Shannon

"Bit of a random question but could use some advice. I’m having a bit of a problem with a badger managing to unlock and open my food bin at night and making a huge mess in my garden. I’ve tried blocking the bin in with bigger objects but he always manages to get at it. Does anyone have any advice? I know bringing the food bin in at night is an option but don’t really want to be doing that. Are you certain it's a Badger and not a Pine Marten??

Yes. I saw it. "

Improvise your bin as a cage and release a distance away but then again if female it might have cubs nearby this time of year, just Padlock the bin

over a year ago

*gavel gavel*

Could we please stop badgering the OP!!

over a year ago

"I'd be delighted to see a badger around my house, gorgeous creatures.

Feed the badger and get a cat to keep the rats and mice away "

so lucky feed the badger with a bowl of dog nuts hedgehogs or foxes might also come and visit

By *im tim timMan
over a year ago

c

"And then they cull them regardless of being infected with TB or not."

T.B. and badgers are one of the biggest industries in the country.it employs thousands of people that costs the tax payer millions upon millions every year for the last 50 to 60 years.this is why the badger is a protected species..its cows and cattle thats getting culled every year by the thousands and not the badgers..

so the badger is protected number 1 and the milks cow and beef cattle culled number 2..so there is more thought of the badger than the farmer.

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

Everybody blames badgers for giving cattle TB but the elephant in the room is Deer.. They are riddled with it and in some cases mix freely with livestock but badgers always get a bad rap..

By *im tim timMan
over a year ago

c

"Everybody blames badgers for giving cattle TB but the elephant in the room is Deer.. They are riddled with it and in some cases mix freely with livestock but badgers always get a bad rap.. "

but sure as i said all ready its a multi million euro industry.sure look at all the dept of agri vets,civil servants,ordinary vets ,in every county in ireland that make a living out of the t.b.industry..and yes as you have just said the deer have it as well and no test on them..so the deer must be protected as well..so its just the milks cow and the beef cattle and the farmer that gets culled by the dept vets..

By *rprotonMan
over a year ago

Dublin

"*chuckles* I can see a line of fab men lining up to piss up the place

imagine “get in line please!” "

But! But! But Miss!!! I really need to GGGoooooOOooOOOoo!!!?

Post new Message to Thread