By *osmicGate OP   Man
over a year ago

louth

Rip what a legend too young to go at 60

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *inxnmasterCouple
over a year ago

naughty valley

oh that’s sad news indeed . I guess the Plaza Del Mayo in Buenos Aires will have the colors on half

By *P_80Man
over a year ago

Waterford

Ah that's sad news. I adored him and Argentina '86 when I was a kid, as I'm sure many others had as well.

I wonder will God take his hand back

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The flag at ThunderkissEnterprises© flies half mast

By *oserMan
over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

[Removed by poster at 25/11/20 18:17:37]

By *oserMan
over a year ago

RIP

I was lucky enough to be in his company twice in the same week while playing a tournament in Napoli in 1989.

Once while we were training and he came over while we were doing a drill and he joined in for a few touches.

Then again for the end of tournament dinner.

Got his autograph on a mitre football which I still have

By *aiseanagusspraoiMan
over a year ago

city

Sad the for football

One of the greats

RIP Maradona

over a year ago

"

RIP

I was lucky enough to be in his company twice in the same week while playing a tournament in Napoli in 1989.

Once while we were training and he came over while we were doing a drill and he joined in for a few touches.

Got his autograph on a mitre football which I still have "

Wow! You were very fortunate Yoss

By *scouple07Couple
over a year ago

louth, Ireland

RIP to a great footballing legend

over a year ago

The greatest ever..

By *-4pleasureCouple
over a year ago

Belfast

"

RIP

Got his autograph on a mitre football which I still have "

Now THATS a story to tell the lads in the pub

over a year ago

ICONIC...God rest him...he took it to a different Level ...

over a year ago

What about poor Heavy D..rip Boooom

over a year ago

The best ever.. Rip

over a year ago

The GOAT!

There is no comparison. Others have padded out their stats and achieved great things in great teams surrounded my stellar support casts. But this man didn't need any of that. It's been an absolute joy to have been alive through his football days.

over a year ago

Kaizer is in 3 days of mourning

By *aucyladMan
over a year ago

Dublin

He was incredible, such skill and did it with a smile. Rip.

By *ord Willy McFuck-BucketMan
over a year ago

newcastle

greatest ever footballer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFdypI0w-oc&feature=youtu.be

By *unsoundMan
over a year ago

Ennis

[Removed by poster at 26/11/20 11:43:52]

over a year ago

Going up to give god his hand back. R.I.P.

By *eb66Man
over a year ago

Dublin

The greatest ever

They asked terry butcher would he shake his hand if he met him and butcher said no.

They asked Diego would he shake terry butchers hand and Diego said whos terry butcher.

Legend

By *mooth Operator 07Man
over a year ago

in the deep mist of the valleys

Maradona is the greatest football player i have seen in my life.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Steve Hodge got destroyed by his team mates for getting Maradonas shirt in 1986.

He still has it and it had an estimated value of £500,000 before his death. Probably more now.

By *mooth Operator 07Man
over a year ago

"Steve Hodge got destroyed by his team mates for getting Maradonas shirt in 1986.

He still has it and it had an estimated value of £500,000 before his death. Probably more now. "

Agreed more money now, particularly if he went to Argentina to sell it.

By *lamourpussyCouple
over a year ago

Warwick

"Steve Hodge got destroyed by his team mates for getting Maradonas shirt in 1986.

He still has it and it had an estimated value of £500,000 before his death. Probably more now.

Agreed more money now, particularly if he went to Argentina to sell it."

Unbelievably talented player but unfortunately he will be remembered as a cheat by many - me included.

over a year ago

Unbelievably talented player but unfortunately he will be remembered as a cheat by many - me included."

Really? I mean of thats your main take away of what Maradonna gave the world of football fair enough but that's more a shame for you than it was for his memory tbh

By *ouple 0073Couple
over a year ago

donegal

Unbelievably talented player but unfortunately he will be remembered as a cheat by many - me included."

then how will Thiery Henry be remembered..

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

A comment on the radio today about that and how many can see the number of times he was cheated against. He was targeted by every hard man and battering ram in the game and got virtually no protection.

One split second incident doesn't define the man or the legend.

He had his demons though.

By *mooth Operator 07Man
over a year ago

Cheat . Its not like you hear the Germans complaining about 1966 when the ball did not cross the line. The Germans would have a better argument to say they felt cheated, it was a final at Wembley.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

Unbelievably talented player but unfortunately he will be remembered as a cheat by many - me included.

Really? I mean of thats your main take away of what Maradonna gave the world of football fair enough but that's more a shame for you than it was for his memory tbh"

alot of English people think that about Maradona. England felt he cheated Maradona acknowledged on his television show that he had hit the ball with his hand purposely, and no contact with his head was made, and that he immediately knew the goal was illegitimate.... also it was bad timing with the Falklands war with the UK a few years earlier his talent was overtook so to speak.

over a year ago

Really? I mean of thats your main take away of what Maradonna gave the world of football fair enough but that's more a shame for you than it was for his memory tbhalot of English people think that about Maradona. England felt he cheated Maradona acknowledged on his television show that he had hit the ball with his hand purposely, and no contact with his head was made, and that he immediately knew the goal was illegitimate.... also it was bad timing with the Falklands war with the UK a few years earlier his talent was overtook so to speak. "

I understand the context but for that to be someones overriding sentiment of such a talent is sad for the people who can't see past it

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

Really? I mean of thats your main take away of what Maradonna gave the world of football fair enough but that's more a shame for you than it was for his memory tbhalot of English people think that about Maradona. England felt he cheated Maradona acknowledged on his television show that he had hit the ball with his hand purposely, and no contact with his head was made, and that he immediately knew the goal was illegitimate.... also it was bad timing with the Falklands war with the UK a few years earlier his talent was overtook so to speak.

I understand the context but for that to be someones overriding sentiment of such a talent is sad for the people who can't see past it"

I was 12 living in the UK the time of the world Cup. I don't mean to be disrespectful of the man but I'm saying it how it was. The man was talented when it came to the sport but I remember the hatred that went on after the match with regards to him..... it was what it was ........ and I don't care for the sport personally but I remember him purely for that

By *REEPALESTINEMan
over a year ago

derby

Absolute legend .. controversial larger than life and hugely influential

over a year ago

He shouldn't be slaughtered for that cheeky header when he scored the goal of the century moments later

By *oserMan
over a year ago

Post world cup Terry Butcher was asked in an interview if he would shake Maradona's hand, he replied "never"

Maradona was asked if he would shake Terry Butcher's hand and he replied "Terry who?"

over a year ago

Get over it pal!! Bitter and sad!

Will you also recall your present captain Harry kane as a cheat when he dives repeatedly to con refs for penalties? Its pretty much the same isn't it?? What about the goal that never was at Wembley in 1966??

You're starting to sound as bitter as that little creep Lineker who over the years has never missed an opportunity to put the boot into regarding all his off field antics. The same Lineker with a brother who has drug dealing convictions.

Peter shilton was 6 ft tall and could use his arms outstretched. Maradona was 5 ft 5 and couldn't use his arm outstretched. He still beat him to the ball. If you're looking for someone to blame blame him.

Just enjoy the goal of the century that he served up a few minutes later. Man, I never tire of that I've watched it so so so many times this afternoon and still get great amusement of your lot. Peter Reid wading through treacle, big donkeys and cart horses being turned inside out and Shilton completely bamboozled and left on his ass as he glided through your defence.

Butcher actually went out of his way earlier in the game to elbow Maradona in the face and yet there was no drama or play acting. The donkey shouldve been sent off and would certainly have in today's game. That never gets mentioned and he wouldnt have had Maradona to blame all these years for robbing him of his chance to win the World Cup, just his idiotic self.

By *mooth Operator 07Man
over a year ago

I have said it in the previous forum and i will say it again. I never heard one German moan about 1966 and that dodgy goal decision that was meant to be over the line. If any country were to moan, it should be Germany considering it was a final and at Wembley.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/11/20 23:04:13]

over a year ago

And all this at a time when English football clubs were banned from European competition for their fans rioting everywhere they went and were responsible for the heysel stadium disaster and 39 people losing their lives. The whole world wanted England beaten. And your gripe 34 years on it thag you were cheated? Ask the families of the juventus fans who lost loved ones at Heysel if they feel cheated?

By *imTam691Man
over a year ago

Dublin/Kildare/Meath

Incredible player and a brilliant mind even though like many he has his demons.

Going to binge on Maradona documentaries over the weekend so if anyone can recommend one in particular then please do send on.

And re the argument over the brits calling him a cheat, the man was cheated out of every game by horrendous tackles. Checkout the butcher of bilbao clip on YouTube

over a year ago

I remember a friend of mine coming back from a friendly game between Ireland and Argentina. At the time Brady was in his pomp. I asked him how Brady played, he said he was very good but there was this Argentinian player called Maradona who was unbelievable and was going to be a star.

The rest is history.

over a year ago

Obviously not old enough to have appreciated him in his day but as a fan of the game anyone can appreciate how spectacularly talented he was.

Transcended the game too at that! Who hasn't heard the name sure.

...side note, I reckon the ball was over the line anyway

By *lwayshardMan
over a year ago

south dublin

My earliest memory is goal against greece with 94 WC eyeballs popping out

By *icko48Man
over a year ago

dublin

Pure legend

Died on the anniversary of anther legend

George Best (2015)

By *icko48Man
over a year ago

dublin

Oops 25/11/2005

By *DGF20Man
over a year ago

Dublin

If anyone is interested there is a good movie about Maradona. It's directed by Serbian filmmaker Emir Kusturica, also him and Maradona are main characters in the movie. Name of the movie is Maradona by Kusturica.

By *ord Willy McFuck-BucketMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"I remember a friend of mine coming back from a friendly game between Ireland and Argentina. At the time Brady was in his pomp. I asked him how Brady played, he said he was very good but there was this Argentinian player called Maradona who was unbelievable and was going to be a star.

The rest is history."

Brady still has his jersey from that day

over a year ago

He still has it and it had an estimated value of £500,000 before his death. Probably more now. "

Fair play to Hodge..now l would say he could name his price to the Argentinian FA for it.

By *unsoundMan
over a year ago

Ennis

I think Maradona back in his day was a good player but certainly no better than some players now a day!

Also I personally wouldn't celebrate a person that was infamous for his cheating in the sport ,drug abuse , wife beater , violent crimes, extreme leftist ,corruption just but to name few things about who he was ... no thanks no contribution to society what so ever no loss in my eyes

over a year ago

"I think Maradona back in his day was a good player but certainly no better than some players now a day! "

Wow!

Just wow

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

I haven't got a clue what he got up to off the football pitch and nor do I care

All I know is the man was a football legend and I'll leave the rest to the people that knew him

over a year ago

Apparently Maradonna wasn't one of the greatest football players ever because he was an extreme leftist . Sweet suffering baby jesus. The man could be the biggest supporter of Donald Trump, Putin , Jeremy Corbyn, Bernie Sanders or Danny Healy Rae and it literally would have fuck all to do with his ability to kick a ball . Watch how professionals speak about the man.

He was a joy to watch. He had most certainly no shortage of personal issues but like many who came from humble beginnings unfortunately had an entourage that were there for the beer and more interested in what they could get out of Diego than how they could help.

Regardless.. he was a baller and for the size of the bloke to do what he did far inferior pitches to today and a far more physical game he was and always will be up there with the very best .

By *ichiebigMan
over a year ago

nenagh

Greatest ever

Saw him play Ireland in lansdowne road in 1979,he was very young but you could he was special, and the Argentine team were world champions at the time full of great players,he had his deamons,same as everyone of us, except that clown that was judgeing him above,

By *aid backMan
over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

"I think Maradona back in his day was a good player but certainly no better than some players now a day!

Also I personally wouldn't celebrate a person that was infamous for his cheating in the sport ,drug abuse , wife beater , violent crimes, extreme leftist ,corruption just but to name few things about who he was ... no thanks no contribution to society what so ever no loss in my eyes "

AHH vroom vroom back again I see.

What's an extreme leftist ? Do you just mean he was a socialist ?

over a year ago

"I think Maradona back in his day was a good player but certainly no better than some players now a day!

Also I personally wouldn't celebrate a person that was infamous for his cheating in the sport ,drug abuse , wife beater , violent crimes, extreme leftist ,corruption just but to name few things about who he was ... no thanks no contribution to society what so ever no loss in my eyes

What's an extreme leftist ? Do you just mean he was a socialist ?"

You've reminded actually of the last day I was out for a few pints and a friend of a friend who is and I quote "99.9% right on everything" . He had mentioned how Trump was going to win the election because Bideb was a radical leftie..

I asked . "What's that?"

The reply..."a socialist"

Me.. "Do you know what socialism is ?"

Him... "yeah...venuzuela"

Me.. "that's a country. Do you know what kind of policies socialists tend to endorse?"

Him.... "yeah they want to take all your money and fuck up the country"..

Me...."I'm just off for a piss pal"

over a year ago

Also I personally wouldn't celebrate a person that was infamous for his cheating in the sport ,drug abuse , wife beater , violent crimes, extreme leftist ,corruption just but to name few things about who he was ... no thanks no contribution to society what so ever no loss in my eyes "

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt pal!

Apart from your clear non existent knowledge of football your "no contribution to society what so ever" quote is pretty dumb. You clearly know nothing about what he did for the morale of his country in the wake of the Falklands war and at a time of hardship. You are also clearly oblivious to what he contributed to Naples as a city and the impact to this day. Over 30 years on and there are murals all over the city for his "contribution to society" there. And the murals aren't painted by the middle and upper classes. This man gave a whole region a legacy and a football identity.

By *unsoundMan
over a year ago

Ennis

What's an extreme leftist ? Do you just mean he was a socialist ?"

for what is worth ... i will answer your question. A far left is a person that hold extreme views especially in terms of politics concerning communism, socialism and totalitarianism. Well he might have labelled himself under a "socialist banner " banner but he certainly enjoyed a life that was not representative of that!

To answer someone else's question. I do know what socialism is but not only that I have experience ot first hand being from a country that is currently under a socialist dictatorship regime, socialism is this idea that all aspects of everyday running of a country should be regulated and should belong to the people. "people is government" and let's be clear on paper this might sound quite good but the reality is far from it, nothing belongs to the people everything belongs to "the government" and in most if not all socialist countries "the government" means 1 person or a family in power.

I wonder how many of you have experience socialism first hand or have experience poverty as is lived in this places!

Anyways I would never see Maradona as someone extra ordinary just for being a good football player! And you are all entitled to you opinion as so am I! But don't assume there is ignorance being someone statement as doing so just makes you that what you assumed!

Post new Message to Thread