Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

VPN

Jump to newest

By *avana_oh_na_na OP   Woman
over a year ago

Dublin

Do you think it's necessary to use a vpn these days? Which one are you using and what's the cost?

I just recently got one included with my antivirus but is it worth upgrading?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've had nothinh but trouble with them so I don't bother anymore tbh.

over a year ago

"Do you think it's necessary to use a vpn these days? Which one are you using and what's the cost?

I just recently got one included with my antivirus but is it worth upgrading?"

Not an expert but I recently was looking into this for torrent sites..to block your up address. But you also would need to block the up address appearing on your torrent downloader...so I was sceptical about how protected I was

If you have sites you don't want your internet provider seeing. It's not so traceable back to you.

Also for netflix (e.g to watch American Netflix) or to watch other content that is blocked in your country. When ai was I France I was not able to watch rte player for example.

Hope that helps haha

over a year ago

Depends why you would need to use it OP?

A simple free one is all that's really needed if you've already got a good fast internet connection, if you don't then it slows things down a bit.

I've found turbo VPN effective and fast enough for my uses.

over a year ago

I like NordVPN. It's good for Netflix, BBC iplayer, etc.

By *asterandhissparklesCouple
over a year ago

tipperary

AirVPN. I use it regularly but of course, no point in having a VPN if you have a Netflix subscription in Ireland

By *cottybear74Man
over a year ago

kilkenny

Tunnelbear isn't bad or nordvpn

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

"Do you think it's necessary to use a vpn these days? Which one are you using and what's the cost?

I just recently got one included with my antivirus but is it worth upgrading?"

I never use a vpn and I download and watch the latest movies and tv shows on my laptop All the time but then again I'm using a Linux os.. Supposedly more private and safer from a hacking or virus perspective than windows anyday

over a year ago

I use Nord VPN especially when using public WiFi . It's also great for getting American Netflix which has more shows and that

over a year ago

I work in Cyber. My advice is stay far away from VPN's no matter what your need for one is. The idea that your data is encrypted and safe is far from true. For example say a highly advertised VPN provider .. NordVPN

You turn on the VPN, you traffic is encrypted to Nords server, decrypted to read the data, re-encrypted and forwarded on to site you wish to visit.

That piece where it is decrypted is where the issue lies, at that point Nord can read all your data that you are sending. Messages,banking details,images or videos.

I know most people use VPN's so they can watch content in other countries but if you forget to turn it off as you browse your normal daily things .. Facebook banking fab email messaging etc then Nord have the potential to read all your data and potentially steal your data.

over a year ago

"I work in Cyber. My advice is stay far away from VPN's no matter what your need for one is. The idea that your data is encrypted and safe is far from true. For example say a highly advertised VPN provider .. NordVPN

You turn on the VPN, you traffic is encrypted to Nords server, decrypted to read the data, re-encrypted and forwarded on to site you wish to visit.

That piece where it is decrypted is where the issue lies, at that point Nord can read all your data that you are sending. Messages,banking details,images or videos.

I know most people use VPN's so they can watch content in other countries but if you forget to turn it off as you browse your normal daily things .. Facebook banking fab email messaging etc then Nord have the potential to read all your data and potentially steal your data.

"

Hey devor. Fabs is 'HTTPS' encrypted using an SSL certificate. Same with most reputable sites and definitely financial and ecommerce sites. So when I enter my login details on the fabs login page, the request (login data) is sent to the Fabs server and is encrypted using the SSL certificate. So from my laptop/phone across the internet 'cloud' to the Fabs server, a 'person in the middle' cannot decrypt the login data and read it.

So if I leave my VPN on, and I send the same request to Fabs, when the request reaches the VPN server, the cannot decrypt and read it either (public/private key etc)

The VPN service should add a 2nd layer of encryption, but they cannot decrypt the Fabs HTTPS request so it is still secure. Would that be correct?

For non IT, a website is secure when you see the little padlock to the right of the search bar and the site name begins with 'https://'

You should get into the habit of checking this as its extremely important.

over a year ago

For example, this is the URL for this forum thread. You can see the 'https://' at the beginning. I simply copy/pasted this from the mobile site browser search bar on my phone browser:

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/ireland/1077668

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

"I work in Cyber. My advice is stay far away from VPN's no matter what your need for one is. The idea that your data is encrypted and safe is far from true. For example say a highly advertised VPN provider .. NordVPN

Hey devor. Fabs is 'HTTPS' encrypted using an SSL certificate. Same with most reputable sites and definitely financial and ecommerce sites. So when I enter my login details on the fabs login page, the request (login data) is sent to the Fabs server and is encrypted using the SSL certificate. So from my laptop/phone across the internet 'cloud' to the Fabs server, a 'person in the middle' cannot decrypt the login data and read it.

So if I leave my VPN on, and I send the same request to Fabs, when the request reaches the VPN server, the cannot decrypt and read it either (public/private key etc)

The VPN service should add a 2nd layer of encryption, but they cannot decrypt the Fabs HTTPS request so it is still secure. Would that be correct?

For non IT, a website is secure when you see the little padlock to the right of the search bar and the site name begins with 'https://'

You should get into the habit of checking this as its extremely important. "

The vpn provider can see the sites visited, but not the data itself if its SSL encrypted. They still have quite a lot of metadata even if they done have the ACTUAL data.

over a year ago

As long as they cannot see my emails containing my terrible jokes and the pictures of my spotty ass then I am good with that

over a year ago

"For example, this is the URL for this forum thread. You can see the 'https://' at the beginning. I simply copy/pasted this from the mobile site browser search bar on my phone browser:

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/ireland/1077668"

This is the misconception

Ordinarily yes, the public private key is exchanged between you and Fab but by using a VPN you have set up an opportunity for a man in the middle. Once you connect to a VPN provider the key exchange is between you and their server(Nord). They have the key to decrypt. Their server the encrypts again originating from the geolocation IP to the site you wish to visit.

over a year ago

"For example, this is the URL for this forum thread. You can see the 'https://' at the beginning. I simply copy/pasted this from the mobile site browser search bar on my phone browser:

Ordinarily yes, the public private key is exchanged between you and Fab but by using a VPN you have set up an opportunity for a man in the middle. Once you connect to a VPN provider the key exchange is between you and their server(Nord). They have the key to decrypt. Their server the encrypts again originating from the geolocation IP to the site you wish to visit. "

So this is not good to say the least

I don't use a VPN for anything. Looked into them but most got poor reviews. I would like to watch BBC (steady on ladies) so was looking for a Geo service. A mate recommended Getflix. Would you be aware of them and if they are decent? Or another service to look at geo restricted media players?

over a year ago

Ordinarily yes, the public private key is exchanged between you and Fab but by using a VPN you have set up an opportunity for a man in the middle. Once you connect to a VPN provider the key exchange is between you and their server(Nord). They have the key to decrypt. Their server the encrypts again originating from the geolocation IP to the site you wish to visit.

I don't use a VPN for anything. Looked into them but most got poor reviews. I would like to watch BBC (steady on ladies) so was looking for a Geo service. A mate recommended Getflix. Would you be aware of them and if they are decent? Or another service to look at geo restricted media players?"

Its just open to manipulation, we're trusting out security with 3rd parties Anything out there that offers a way to download content or access restricted content comes with risk. My stance is to stay far away from them

over a year ago

I don't use a VPN for anything. Looked into them but most got poor reviews. I would like to watch BBC (steady on ladies) so was looking for a Geo service. A mate recommended Getflix. Would you be aware of them and if they are decent? Or another service to look at geo restricted media players?

Its just open to manipulation, we're trusting out security with 3rd parties Anything out there that offers a way to download content or access restricted content comes with risk. My stance is to stay far away from them "

Thanks for the sound advice

over a year ago

Depends what you want. If you want american Netflix or the likes, use a VPN. If you are doing dodgy stuff on the interwebs, then your most secure bet is to instal Tails Linux on a USB drive and boot up from that. This OS will completely delete everything stored in your RAM etc when logging out and leave zero trace of your activity on your laptop once you log out of the session.

Use the TOR browser which basically acts as 10 VPNs scrambled in one to hide your IP address and never saves passwords, internet history, cookies etc.

Finally a Mac Spoofer to change the Mac address of your network card.

And remember, the only sure way to wipe a hard drive, is to put a drill through it.

over a year ago

"Depends what you want. If you want american Netflix or the likes, use a VPN. If you are doing dodgy stuff on the interwebs, then your most secure bet is to instal Tails Linux on a USB drive and boot up from that. This OS will completely delete everything stored in your RAM etc when logging out and leave zero trace of your activity on your laptop once you log out of the session.

Use the TOR browser which basically acts as 10 VPNs scrambled in one to hide your IP address and never saves passwords, internet history, cookies etc.

Finally a Mac Spoofer to change the Mac address of your network card.

And remember, the only sure way to wipe a hard drive, is to put a drill through it.

"

Thanks Gary. Nothing dodge. Just getting around geo restrictions would be good

By *appytoadsCouple
over a year ago

West Dublin

We use ipvanish, using it a c couple of years on my fire stick for iptv dealt directly with them and got a great deal, e15 a year. Don't use it on phone

Post new Message to Thread