Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Ireland

Hse covid 19 app

Jump to newest

By *ol_ie OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin west

So the covid 19 tracing app has finally launched by the hse.

Will you download it.

I downloaded it this morning and you don't need to supply any info to them and only get an notification if you have been in close contact with a confirmed case.

Am interested in what others might think.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

There are questions as to how effective it is so I'll be saying no.

over a year ago

No, I don't have such an eventful life that I wouldn't know who I've been in close contact with over the last two weeks, have always been a fan of social distancing

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

Installed here. Hopefully it will help us trace contacts more easily. You'd need a high paranoia level to see any issues here

over a year ago

"No, I don't have such an eventful life that I wouldn't know who I've been in close contact with over the last two weeks, have always been a fan of social distancing "

Same as. Literally go to work, the supermarket and home. So can't be bothered downloading it.

over a year ago

Being back in work now I am considering it tbh

By *1shadesofnaughtyMan
over a year ago

South Limerick

No thanks. I've enough stealth tracking on my phone as is.

By *ilthyNightsCouple
over a year ago

East / North, Cork

To those who are knowingly letting corporations track you like apple and Google with apps like Facebook and WhatsApp or Instagram and twitter.. purely for your own entertainment pusposes. How do you rationalise thay you don't want to install this app for the public health of your country?

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

I'd imagine there's some sort of tracking softwear just using this site if you use the see who's near option.

If I'd allow my phone to help me perve people on here I'll definitely allow it to help see if I've been near someone that has covid 19

over a year ago

"To those who are knowingly letting corporations track you like apple and Google with apps like Facebook and WhatsApp or Instagram and twitter.. purely for your own entertainment pusposes. How do you rationalise thay you don't want to install this app for the public health of your country? "

Cat Pics

over a year ago

I tend to leave my phone at home when doing a spot of espionage or high treason so its all good.

Obviously well socially distanced treason

By *at3232Woman
over a year ago

the moon

Downloaded.

Nothing to hide.

I think its to my advantage rather than seeing the negative.

over a year ago

"To those who are knowingly letting corporations track you like apple and Google with apps like Facebook and WhatsApp or Instagram and twitter.. purely for your own entertainment pusposes. How do you rationalise thay you don't want to install this app for the public health of your country? "

I don't need to I literally got to work, there is at Max 4-6 of us in office, normally over 80. I drive the 90km each way I don't stop. I haven't been into town in over 2 wks, noone is calling to my house or I'm not going anywhere. And I'm back ordering food online. I have worked all along and done all of above.

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

"To those who are knowingly letting corporations track you like apple and Google with apps like Facebook and WhatsApp or Instagram and twitter.. purely for your own entertainment pusposes. How do you rationalise thay you don't want to install this app for the public health of your country?

I don't need to I literally got to work, there is at Max 4-6 of us in office, normally over 80. I drive the 90km each way I don't stop. I haven't been into town in over 2 wks, noone is calling to my house or I'm not going anywhere. And I'm back ordering food online. I have worked all along and done all of above. "

That's some drive to work each way

over a year ago

Wouldn't waste my time into downloading it because most teenagers and messers will download it and admit or mess saying they where positive. This will send out the wrong data so its usless in my opinion.

over a year ago

"Installed here. Hopefully it will help us trace contacts more easily. You'd need a high paranoia level to see any issues here"

Surely only the paranoid would be useing it

over a year ago

I haven't and I do feel a little uncomfortable with it but that's not to say I won't in future.

over a year ago

As some one that actively turns off location tracking as much as possible etc on my phone in the different apps. It's very unlikely that I'm going to download an app that tracks me.

To be honest of I had to pick between licking a window or downloading the app. I'd probably go for liking the window

over a year ago

I will not be downloading it.

3 solid reasons:

1. My phone is old and there's enough apps on it.

2. I don't socialize that much apart from work and close family. I can easily tell you who I've come in contact with in a last month.

3. If you work side by side with a person who has tested positive- you will still not get tested unless you've shown severe symptoms. If they're mild you'll just be sent home without a test.

So what exactly is the point in having that app?

over a year ago

"To those who are knowingly letting corporations track you like apple and Google with apps like Facebook and WhatsApp or Instagram and twitter.. purely for your own entertainment pusposes. How do you rationalise thay you don't want to install this app for the public health of your country?

I don't need to I literally got to work, there is at Max 4-6 of us in office, normally over 80. I drive the 90km each way I don't stop. I haven't been into town in over 2 wks, noone is calling to my house or I'm not going anywhere. And I'm back ordering food online. I have worked all along and done all of above.

That's some drive to work each way"

And they never strop for petrol or car repairs or anything

By *oghunter33Woman
over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I've no intention downloading the thing. Why? Because I don't want to.

over a year ago

And they never strop for petrol or car repairs or anything"

I fill the car with diesel every two weeks in the same petrol station. Car was serviced in the Toyota garage in March by appointment. It was collected from my house and dropped back. And no I don't stop on way to work, dont need to.

over a year ago

That's some drive to work each way"

Yep but has to be done.

over a year ago

Sure what harm is one more that might help save someones life?

By *pl4fun432Couple
over a year ago

cork

Here here! Downloaded it this morning.

By *izzleJMan
over a year ago

Galway

"Wouldn't waste my time into downloading it because most teenagers and messers will download it and admit or mess saying they where positive. This will send out the wrong data so its usless in my opinion. "

This is not possible as you can only be alerted if you were in close contact with someone who has actually tested positive. The app doesn't allow just anyone to say they have covid-19.

Please do a bit of research anymore before making assumptions and spreading false information.

By *ouge and blueCouple
over a year ago

Cork

100% this. The irony of people taking to Facebook to complain about privacy

over a year ago

"I tend to leave my phone at home when doing a spot of espionage or high treason so its all good.

Obviously well socially distanced treason"

Ah yes but that can be used against you in court

Why did you leave your phone turned off and at home for 5 hours !!!

over a year ago

Think I will wait. They were discussing issues with false-negatives and false-positives. Can do all the testing you want in a lab but first few days will find out a lot.

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

Downloaded it just now

I interact with a lot of people everyday

I'd rather know if I was a risk to others by being in touch with someone that has it.

over a year ago

Watched that program last night on the hospital in Italy, desperate. To see a 18 year old fit guy at deaths door, he recovered. I’ve downloaded without hesitation. It may just be another tool to fight this so we can get back to normality.

By *izzleJMan
over a year ago

Galway

Worth noting considering people's privacy concerns:

The app does not collect your name or address.

Adding your phone number is optional.

Cannot track your location - does not use your phone's location services.

Cannot identify close contacts or people who have tested positive.

The app uses Bluetooth to estimate distance and time between two users but has no idea if it's two OAPs sitting opposite each other on the luas or two swingers taking part in an orgy on top of Croagh Patrick.

over a year ago

"Wouldn't waste my time into downloading it because most teenagers and messers will download it and admit or mess saying they where positive. This will send out the wrong data so its usless in my opinion.

This is not possible as you can only be alerted if you were in close contact with someone who has actually tested positive. The app doesn't allow just anyone to say they have covid-19.

Please do a bit of research anymore before making assumptions and spreading false information.

"

wow sizle your dizzle buddy me spreading false information?? It's peoples opinion an options to take it as it is! As for the hole tracker system I stand corrected for that matter. And thanks for your educational tips I will most definitely take your advice for future reference

By *oisyoctopusWoman
over a year ago

Drogheda

Downloaded it the second I saw it was live. I see it as one tool in the toolbox to help keep this suppressed as much as possible. I wear a mask, I limit my exposure to other people, I wash my damn hands, I installed the app. It's part of the whole to me.

I knew from the start that I wouldn't even consider starting to meet again until a reliable contact tracing app was available and used by many, so I also do it for fab

By *exydoctorsCouple
over a year ago

Galway/Clare

I fill the car with diesel every two weeks in the same petrol station. Car was serviced in the Toyota garage in March by appointment. It was collected from my house and dropped back. And no I don't stop on way to work, dont need to."

I think the point is that if you stop for diesel you don't know who just used the pump before you, or who was in the shop. The idea of the app is that if they test positive then you get informed. Unless you stay at home all of the time, everyone crosses paths with people, intentional or not

By *osmicGateMan
over a year ago

louth

"So the covid 19 tracing app has finally launched by the hse.

Will you download it.

I downloaded it this morning and you don't need to supply any info to them and only get an notification if you have been in close contact with a confirmed case.

Am interested in what others might think. "

downloaded it ..not sure if its even effective at the moment ..it would need many users before it becomes any use..apparently it will notify you if a person with covid is nearby through Bluetooth..wishful thinking it might take off

over a year ago

I fill the car with diesel every two weeks in the same petrol station. Car was serviced in the Toyota garage in March by appointment. It was collected from my house and dropped back. And no I don't stop on way to work, dont need to.

I think the point is that if you stop for diesel you don't know who just used the pump before you, or who was in the shop. The idea of the app is that if they test positive then you get informed. Unless you stay at home all of the time, everyone crosses paths with people, intentional or not"

To be a close contact, you must be within two metres of the other person for more than 15 minutes.

over a year ago

"No, I don't have such an eventful life that I wouldn't know who I've been in close contact with over the last two weeks, have always been a fan of social distancing "

Likewise

over a year ago

What about people having meets .. there is no shortage of that going on and lying saying they are not meeting anyone else.... nothing is fool proof when you are naive to believe that

over a year ago

I think the point is that if you stop for diesel you don't know who just used the pump before you, or who was in the shop. The idea of the app is that if they test positive then you get informed. Unless you stay at home all of the time, everyone crosses paths with people, intentional or not"

. Have downloaded the app. I have been working all along and not come into contact with anyone so I know the precautions I have taken so far have worked. We have had a family bereavement, canceled holidays and family events.

However I have watched neighbours having parties etc but each to their own. Of everyone took responsibility for their actions it will lessen the spread.

Oh and as I had to work and travel for work I had to get diesel if I hadn't been working wouldn't have needed it.

over a year ago

New phones don't allow the battery to be removed , turning it off does nothing , turning off GPS does nothing , position can be discovered using normal cell tower triangulation ..

By *DGF20Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"

To be a close contact, you must be within two metres of the other person for more than 15 minutes."

You'll be ok if was 14 minutes with someone...bullshit, stories for little ships

over a year ago

"

To be a close contact, you must be within two metres of the other person for more than 15 minutes.

You'll be ok if was 14 minutes with someone...bullshit, stories for little ships"

I'm making the point that this is what the tracing app will flag as a close contact.

over a year ago

Yap. I've downloaded this morning to. I'm nobody and no one gives a crap about where I've come from our where I've been so they can track me all they want. ( not that their not tracking us already west with WhatsApp FB and whatever other social media apps were ruining on our phones) but if it helps in anyway to my health or possibly someone else's then it's worth a shot in the dark.

over a year ago

"New phones don't allow the battery to be removed , turning it off does nothing , turning off GPS does nothing , position can be discovered using normal cell tower triangulation ..

"

'Normal' cell tower triangulation isn't what you see on TV and for official use needs serious authorisation. It also won't work when your phone is off or the battery is dead

By *kcoupleCouple
over a year ago

Downloaded it thismorning. High risk little one at home so anything that helping gives me a heads up I'll take part in. I do understand to a point people's privacy concerns but of they have bothered to read the terms and conditions of using the app then in all honesty thete shouldn't be a valid reason not to install.

To give a little perspective on it. I use a VPN from time to time so out of curiosity I checked which apps are listed as harvesting the most amount of personal data from users. No surprise FB/FB Messanger and Instagram are always in the top five so if you are happy enough to post what you had for breakfast on insta then you should be happy enough to use a tracing app like this.

over a year ago

The ticktok issues are alot more concerning , copying your clipboard and sending the info, everything you your into the phone is sent to them , this was highlighted with the newest iPhones displaying when an application uses a certain function

By *haggy_bearMan
over a year ago

Sligo

"

"

Well said

over a year ago

This app "CANNOT TRACK YOUR LOCATION"

It does not use location services or have any access to any of your media. It assigns you a random ID number, and uses Bluetooth to track other ID numbers have been within 5m of you for 15 minutes.

It will notify you of one of these ID numbers are flagged as testing positive.

It's probably the only app I've downloaded in years that doesnt ask for access to any of your media or location services.

How can anyone refuse to use it as they value privacy, yet use services like Fab/Facebook/Google/Amazon.

If you do contract Covid, surely you would want everyone in close contact with you over the past 14 days to know they were in contact with an anonymous case, and let them take measures.

By *etergemmaCouple
over a year ago

South Dublin Area

"Downloaded it thismorning. High risk little one at home so anything that helping gives me a heads up I'll take part in. I do understand to a point people's privacy concerns but of they have bothered to read the terms and conditions of using the app then in all honesty thete shouldn't be a valid reason not to install.

To give a little perspective on it. I use a VPN from time to time so out of curiosity I checked which apps are listed as harvesting the most amount of personal data from users. No surprise FB/FB Messanger and Instagram are always in the top five so if you are happy enough to post what you had for breakfast on insta then you should be happy enough to use a tracing app like this. "

Absolutely spot on...

Buts its the 5G

By *etergemmaCouple
over a year ago

South Dublin Area

I heard Adrien Weckler talk about it today, didnt need much convincing to install it after that

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

20 % of the population loaded it today.

If we get a second wave it could help suppress it

By *kcoupleCouple
over a year ago

"I heard Adrien Weckler talk about it today, didnt need much convincing to install it after that"

He's a smart fella and worth listening to. As for 5G, sure all you need is a tinfoil maga hat and an antivax t shirt to protect you

By *erekdebMan
over a year ago

meath

Be interesting when the parties and clubs start back and if there is a case then. Phones will determine who's been with who and where and yes I have it downloaded stay safe all

By *ohndunboyneMan
over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

Ah ye are a funny bunch

Your phone is a computer in your pocket that connects to the Internet regularly.

To do that, it needs an IP address. Basically your phones own personal Eircode.

If you have a modern phone, they can find out who/where you are pretty easily.

Watch Enemy of the State and realise that was 1998! Imagine what is in place now.

For the sake of everyone in the country, realise you're being tracked anyway and install the app for the communal good FFS

over a year ago

Everyone should get it.. If you think this is bad in anyway or form you shoukd join all the tinfoil hat 5g people

By *ouno2muchMan
over a year ago

Dublin

OP thank you for this post. I didn’t know the app was available for download

By *ol_ie OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin west

I knew when I posted yesterday that this would cause a bit of debate.

And for me that's a good thing..

If it can save one person by early diagnosis then it's worth it for me as its really doing nothing in the background compared to other apps I use every day.

Looks like over 1 million others have also downloaded which helps make it more affective.

By *he SophisticatsCouple
over a year ago

Casa Del Fun

It doesn’t feckin work on my phone!

Grrrrrrrr

By *hocko87Man
over a year ago

dublin

The tax man knows what you had for breakfast. The people that have it may not download it. I would not bodar

over a year ago

I have it downloaded, its about procuring my health & others health... the C19 spikes in Australia & some parts of Europe is a sure sign C19 has not gone away ...my life is not that exciting for me to worry who may be tracking me, as others have pointed out, once you have a smart phone, you are easily located & tracked...on the street & via sites you may visit.

By *ol_ie OP   Man
over a year ago

Dublin west

"It doesn’t feckin work on my phone!

Grrrrrrrr "

Time for a new phone maybe

over a year ago

Grrrrrrrr "

I think there's a age limit when it comes to phones.. I think phones that have been made over the last 4 years will only work. Had the same problems today with my father's phone it was a pretty old android

By *obrayMan
over a year ago

Craigavon

Grrrrrrrr

I think there's a age limit when it comes to phones.. I think phones that have been made over the last 4 years will only work. Had the same problems today with my father's phone it was a pretty old android "

You need to have Android 8 + or ios 11.

Google & Apple have restricted access to the bluetooth for this type of setup for only these apps.

Post new Message to Thread