Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to France

New speed limits

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Remember the 90 kpm limit changes to 80 kpm on the 1/7/18.

There is a big enforcement campaign expected - should make a fortune!!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *exy BeckyCouple
over a year ago

Agde

A timely reminder for everyone, well done for thinking of it...!!

Just to clarify for those that are about to drive down to Cap. Or anywhere else in France for that matter...!

Next week the speed limit changes for cars. It doesn't affect the lower limits for those in motor homes or if you are towing. Those will still apply.

At present there is a 90kmh speed limit on single carriageway roads. That's 'normal' roads that have two way traffic without a central reservation.

Dual carriageways and Autoroutes are unaffected.

On the 1st of July, this changes to 80kmh.

No leeway, no exceptions for Brits, nothing...! Just a fine.

So, whatever you're driving, the maximum speed limit on those roads is 80kmh.

And if it's your first time driving in France, a few little pointers.

French drivers will annoy the hell out of you. They tailgate regularly, have scant regard for your position on the road and are generally are a pain.

They have an inbred desire to overtake the car in front and then slow down.

They kill around 3,500 people a year on their roads. Don't be one of them.

The French regard the rules of the road as mere suggestions. If they don't like it, they'll ignore it.

On the other hand, they can be incredibly polite.

But you won't know which one you are meeting until it's too late

Don't get angry, just smile and get on with it. All expats have gone through the phase of acceptance.

There's a host of advice on the web for other things that you need to know about driving in France and what you need to carry (Hi-Viz etc.) so I won't cover it here.

One final thing.

DON'T be conned into buying Breath Test kits before you leave. They must be legally carried, but there is no penalty for not doing so. No one we know carries them and the police never ask for them It was joke legislation from the start. Thank you M. Sarkozy...!

Above all, enjoy the space on the roads. It's like driving in the UK in the 60's for those who admit to being that old...!

And enjoy Cap.

And the foam parties...!!

See you there.

By *exy BeckyCouple
over a year ago

Agde

And just one other question you might have.

How do you know you're in a 80kmh area..?

The French don't really do national speed limit signs as much as we do in the UK. The white disc with the black diagonal line...

When you enter a village you will see a rectangular sign with a red border and the village name inside. That indicates a 50kmh zone, although there maybe lower zones around which are signposted normally, near schools for example.

When you leave the village, you'll see the same sign, but with a black diagonal line across it.

That's the sign saying 80kmh (from 1st July) if the road is a single carriageway, as described in my post above.

If all this sounds complicated, it really isn't and you'll soon get used to it.

And virtually all roundabouts are the same. You have priority when you are on them, just like the UK.

You'll even get to like the big yellow diamond, but's that's a story for another day...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nicely advice

over a year ago

Thanks

Great advice guys x

By *rightonfranceMan
over a year ago

brighton - chalais france

I wonder how many people have been caught speeding already.. 80kmh feels like you're crawling

By *uxinteriorMan
over a year ago

south west , continental

Just drove 3 hours from la Creuse to Poitou-Charentes the 80 kmph is in effect! Still doesn't stop the French Sennas tailgating and overtaking in the most death defying places! The speed camera sabateurs are out en mass !

over a year ago

I took my 50y.o. Triumph Bonneville for a ride round the Vercors yesterday and kept to the 80km/h limit (which was quite comfortable on an old machine like this). The amount of cars speeding past at well over 90km/h was quite surprising and no sign of any police - is it only the British that actually take heed of the new 80km/h limit?

By *exy BeckyCouple
over a year ago

Agde

Our local take delight in covering the cameras with bin liners or painting over the lens.

We've been trying out the new limits with as much success as every other Brit.

Most other European countries have an approach to driver safety that differs from the French, who deal with excessive road deaths by enforcement.

Other countries favour education and that's why road deaths will not change significantly here in our lifetime.

There's not even a national Highway Code..!!

over a year ago

It's not only the fixed cameras you have to watch for its the unmarked private companies who video your vehicle and fine comes through the post! A few years ago a Brit was stopped for speeding in his Jag. Over 30kph over the limit. They took his wife to an atm where they got the 1500€ and then confiscated his license which they posted back to him. If they hadn't paid he was going to jail. His wife drove all the way back. But did he learn? No same road got caught again!

By *rightonfranceMan
over a year ago

I'll bet there will be a few that will get caught out by it..I bet in a weeks time there will be plenty on here saying that they got an on the spot fine!

By *exy BeckyCouple
over a year ago

Agde

Bump...

For anyone driving down soon...

By *exy BeckyCouple
over a year ago

Agde

Another bump..

Maybe not the right terminology for this thread, but you know what I mean...!

By *exy BeckyCouple
over a year ago

Agde

Bumpity bump...

By *ucianpoundCouple
over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

Not just the 80kph is difficult but try driving at 20mph (30kph) in towns.

The tolerance is lower than the Uk at 5% or less, we got done at 84kph on an 80 stretch of motorway.

By *exy BeckyCouple
over a year ago

Agde

"Not just the 80kph is difficult but try driving at 20mph (30kph) in towns.

The tolerance is lower than the Uk at 5% or less, we got done at 84kph on an 80 stretch of motorway."

The 20mph limits are increasing popular in the UK and here. I think there's a blanket 20mph in Portsmouth city, apart from a few main roads in and out the city.

We've only got caught once in France, in 70kph limit and we were fined for 74kph.

But they had already deducted the tolerance, so our actual speed was probably 78-80kph, you might find you're was the same if you read the small print.

That certainly has been the case having spoken to others in a similar situation..

But each area/road might be different.

This France, after all..!

over a year ago

The tolerance is lower than the Uk at 5% or less, we got done at 84kph on an 80 stretch of motorway.

The 20mph limits are increasing popular in the UK and here. I think there's a blanket 20mph in Portsmouth city, apart from a few main roads in and out the city.

We've only got caught once in France, in 70kph limit and we were fined for 74kph.

But they had already deducted the tolerance, so our actual speed was probably 78-80kph, you might find you're was the same if you read the small print.

That certainly has been the case having spoken to others in a similar situation..

This France, after all..!"

I have picked up a fine every year that I have lived here! So far not had one so there's one coming!

By *rightonfranceMan
over a year ago

I have picked up a fine every year that I have lived here! So far not had one so there's one coming!"

That said I have been out and about driving and I haven't yet seen any gendarmes enforcing the 80km limit. I guess with Black saturday coming up they may well be out for that or maybe bastille day saturday

By *ucianpoundCouple
over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

I have picked up a fine every year that I have lived here! So far not had one so there's one coming!

That said I have been out and about driving and I haven't yet seen any gendarmes enforcing the 80km limit. I guess with Black saturday coming up they may well be out for that or maybe bastille day saturday"

No, down here at least they’ll probably be having a party somewhere, anyway there’s always half a dozen of them at least so you can usually spot them a mile away!

By *rightonfranceMan
over a year ago

That said I have been out and about driving and I haven't yet seen any gendarmes enforcing the 80km limit. I guess with Black saturday coming up they may well be out for that or maybe bastille day saturday

No, down here at least they’ll probably be having a party somewhere, anyway there’s always half a dozen of them at least so you can usually spot them a mile away!"

True and the french are very good at flashing you to warn of the mobile ones.. My new tomtom has all the new speed limits on already and all the cams too which helps a lot..

Post new Message to Thread