Login here

Back to forum list
Back to France

Rene Oltra Mosquitos

Jump to newest

By *owel Couple OP   Couple
5 weeks ago

Living in South of France

A one man band has been tasked to lay a protective layer to kill off the mosquitos. Draped from head to foot in protective equipment, this hero has been marching up and down the allées, starting at the back, with a mechanical mister/sprayer on his back. He started today and has managed allée O to allee L. How effective it is remains to be seen, but they have been rather nasty this year.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

5 weeks ago

And tomorrow they are scheduled to do the four allées at the front. Don’t leave your pets outside!

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple
5 weeks ago

Agde, France

Send him our way when he’s finished please.

Never known so many mozzies.

And ultra large. At least you can see them coming..!

5 weeks ago

"Send him our way when he’s finished please.

Never known so many mozzies.

And ultra large. At least you can see them coming..!

"

We’ve certainly never managed to kill as many in preceding years. I think, looking at all the PPE he’s wearing, the poor man may need a rest after though!

By *fucksakeCouple
5 weeks ago

cuffilly

Mozzies need rain and it has rained heavilylast month.

We got to cap on 7 may buy the 12 ish the mozxies were unbearable.

Flying into beziers looking down everything was green usually burned dry .

Puddles everywhere aka mozzie breeding ponds.

The local bagnass ( smelly bog land ) is full of water hence the mozzies .

The local gov will not spray the bog anymore to kill the larve. Only when they spray the bog or there is a long dry spell will it stop.

5 weeks ago

The local bagnas has apparently been cleaned and then treated for mosquitoes. Again, how effective will it be?

By *fucksakeCouple
5 weeks ago

cuffilly

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/may/03/france.wildlife.

Here is the reason .guardian article 8 may this year.explains it all .

By *ouple_ukCouple
5 weeks ago

London

Friends of ours in an apartment on that side of Heliopolis are also complaining about the mozzies. I guess they won’t get much benefit from this either. We’re in Jardin d Eden and have been spared.

5 weeks ago

"https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/may/03/france.wildlife.

Here is the reason .guardian article 8 may this year.explains it all ."

link don’t work?

5 weeks ago

The one man band seems to have collapsed on the job, so Oltra have appointed a company to deal with the mosquitos and chiggers ( a small red or orange mite). On the Oltra Facebook page the translation is for Octopuses! They should have finished by June 11th, dependant on weather , and falling octopi. I have their phone number in case anyone else wants their area done.

By *xposedInTheSunCouple
5 weeks ago

Cambridgeshire

"https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/may/03/france.wildlife.

Here is the reason .guardian article 8 may this year.explains it all .link don’t work?"

Try removing the full stop at end of the link. Then it works. (Unlike the insecticide...)

By *hropsDuoCouple
5 weeks ago

Shropshire

We're delaying our first visit this season until the hotter weather comes and the mozzies go!

I'm like a gourmet meal to them and I'm normally covered in bites every year anyway this time of year, so not risking being eaten alive if they are worse this year

By *lint-EverhardMan
5 weeks ago

Perpignan and cap

The only thing that works to control mosquito populations is biological. I believe that Mr one man band is only there as a token gesture to appease some awkward complaints. May I suggest walking round with a dragonfly on a piece of string?

By *ucianpoundCouple
5 weeks ago

Cap d’Agde, France

I give blood 4/5 times a day, I know because after they’ve fed on you they’re a little sluggish and easier to catch.

Difficult to avoid them at the moment but you do build up a resistance and are usually nothing more than an irritant for a few minutes.

Only been driven inside once this year when they attacked me in hordes.

When the heat finally comes they’ll be less of a nuisance.

By *fucksakeCouple
5 weeks ago

cuffilly

"The only thing that works to control mosquito populations is biological. I believe that Mr one man band is only there as a token gesture to appease some awkward complaints. May I suggest walking round with a dragonfly on a piece of string? "

Agree the pesticides are nowhere as good as before and the bagnass does not always get sprayed.

I looked at how dysney does it in florida .a combj ation of carbon dioxide traps and spraying also no still water .

A good tip was to put sugar and yeast into a black bucket wigh a squirt of washing up liquid.add water to half full and put the bucket in a covered dark place . It gives off c02 the thing they use to find us and simply drown as the dish liquid breaks the surface tension of the water.

They tipped the bucket out and a few hundred mozzies were in it after 1 night.

We are going to try everything this season .otherwise you'll be able to play join the dots on us .??

By *avidandherCouple
5 weeks ago

Manchester

Anti histamine cream is good for reducing the irritation from the bites.

By *pa-LoverMan
5 weeks ago

Princes Risborough

How about the beach...are they rampant there too? And how long do you think this plague will go on for?

By *nd-DCouple
4 weeks ago

portsmouth

Any improvement in this situation?

Any body at Rene Oltra now who can update us ?

By *exy BeckyCouple
4 weeks ago

Agde

We’re nearby and things are the same.

It is affecting the whole area along the coast from Spain and to the east.

It may vary slightly every few days but the problem will be here for a long time. A small amount of rain again last night just keeps them active.

It’s a familiar cycle, some years are worse than others.

This year just seems to be particularly bad.

By *pa-LoverMan
4 weeks ago

Princes Risborough

"We’re nearby and things are the same.

It is affecting the whole area along the coast from Spain and to the east.

It may vary slightly every few days but the problem will be here for a long time. A small amount of rain again last night just keeps them active.

It’s a familiar cycle, some years are worse than others.

This year just seems to be particularly bad.

"

In that case we will have to..."fight them on the beaches"!

By *eminiCplCouple
4 weeks ago

Hampshire

I be buying Yeast.great idea to get those little mosquito.

So any parties on?

By *ucianpoundCouple
4 weeks ago

Cap d’Agde, France

Took grandson to Marseillan Plage this afternoon to play mini golf, only managed 3 holes before we were driven off by the mosquitoes.

Will resume in the morning but the desk guy was saying that people are leaving the campsites because they can’t get out of their caravans with the bloody things.

The town hasn’t yet sprayed the nature reserve.

By *xposedInTheSunCouple
4 weeks ago

Cambridgeshire

It's worrying if they're that bad in the afternoon - normally most of them don't come out until the evening.

We're praying for no more rain in the next two weeks...

By *nd-DCouple
4 weeks ago

portsmouth

Is the weather any better in cap and how are the mozzies ?

By *exycarlxxxMan
4 weeks ago

Bridgend

The last time I was there was October last year and the mosquitos were problematic in the evenings. I'll have to remember to bring some repellent. Hopefully it improves.

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple
4 weeks ago

Agde, France

"Is the weather any better in cap and how are the mozzies ?"

There was an update a couple of days ago.

Things ain’t going to change anytime soon…!

By *erseypairCouple
4 weeks ago

liverpool

is it better to put mozzie spray on before or after sun tan lotion?

By *P-MedicMan
4 weeks ago

London, Norfolk & Cap d' Agde

This weekend the campsite was much better than a couple of weeks ago and it is also drier. Hardly no mosquitos daytime and only a few in the evening. Four days in Cap and only one bite and that is more likely to be a mite.

The level 4 Jungle Formula worked this time...

4 weeks ago

"is it better to put mozzie spray on before or after sun tan lotion?"

Boots used to do a dual sun screen and repellant. No idea if they still do it.

By *xposedInTheSunCouple
4 weeks ago

Cambridgeshire

"Boots used to do a dual sun screen and repellant. No idea if they still do it."

Probably wouldn't have a strong enough repellent for this year...

By *fucksakeCouple
4 weeks ago

cuffilly

We'll be back for more punishment on 20th .bringing icrardin, 50%deet spray. Yeast for mozzie buckets.etc but the little darlings are never on the beach so up and out all day for us . We also use the burners under the chairs we sit on they seem to keep them away.

Forgot to mention hey fever tablets are great to stop the itching. The itch is your body sending hystomines to the bite area so anti hystomine tabs work . Take 1 a day and take before you go for a few days.

By *ristol Couple 1Couple
4 weeks ago

Bristol

Many thanks for all the updates. We’re not due to arrive for another two weeks as driving down but have stocked up on all things anti mosquito, I was told to drink lots of gin and tonic as the quinine is supposed too help!! lol

By *erseypairCouple
4 weeks ago

liverpool

"is it better to put mozzie spray on before or after sun tan lotion?

Boots used to do a dual sun screen and repellant. No idea if they still do it."

By *hatHappensNextCouple
4 weeks ago

Essex, near basildon

Arriving tomorrow for a few nights. Assume they are bad even on the beach? What about the bars and clubs of an evening around port nature?

By *xposedInTheSunCouple
4 weeks ago

Cambridgeshire

"I was told to drink lots of gin and tonic as the quinine is supposed too help!! lol"

I can guarantee that if you drink lots of gin, you'll notice less insect bites!

By *hatHappensNextCouple
4 weeks ago

Essex, near basildon

"I was told to drink lots of gin and tonic as the quinine is supposed too help!! lol

I can guarantee that if you drink lots of gin, you'll notice less insect bites!"

Haha, sounds like a plan

By *xposedInTheSunCouple
4 weeks ago

Cambridgeshire

While browsing for insect repellent, I came across a heat pen that is meant to take the itchiness away after a bite.

Has anyone tried one of these? Sounds too good to be true...

By *ussinboots99Couple
4 weeks ago

Bath

I know Puss bought some pens once in Aldi, or i think it was Aldi, they were great, if you found yourself being eaten and put it on straight away, absoloutly nothing happened, no itching no red blotch, if you found out when it started itching, it generally stopped the itching but didnt prevent the large red blotch though, i will ask later and put it on the forum.

We are there this year 3rd of July until the 12th of July, then beginning of September all being well, you just cant beat it can you!

By *ucianpoundCouple
4 weeks ago

Cap d’Agde, France

We live just on the other side of the Bagnas (nature reserve) and can confirm that there are more mosquitoes this year. It has however been the wettest spring we can remember living here for 10 years.

Over the years we've tried most mosquitoe repellants, the worst ones are thing like Jungle formula, Skin so Soft or Xpel wipes, these are not strong enough for the persistent hordes you get here.

Like most locals we buy Raid spirals to burn outside our accommodation, obtained from most supermarkets and Cinq sur Cinq body spray from the pharmacies.

Nothing offers full protection other than being with someone whom the mozzies really like and only then will you be left alone!

By *fucksakeCouple
4 weeks ago

cuffilly

"I was told to drink lots of gin and tonic as the quinine is supposed too help!! lol

I can guarantee that if you drink lots of gin, you'll notice less insect bites!"

also pernod aniseed based drink.

A friend of ours drank pernod every day and not a bite though some people hardly get bitten while others get attacked .there is no one solution thry them all.

You could comebto the beach in the day i'm sure we cojld entertain you

By *fucksakeCouple
4 weeks ago

cuffilly

"Arriving tomorrow for a few nights. Assume they are bad even on the beach? What about the bars and clubs of an evening around port nature?"
the beach wont have them .onshore winds help blow yhe critters away.

By *xposedInTheSunCouple
4 weeks ago

Cambridgeshire

"I know Puss bought some pens once in Aldi, or i think it was Aldi, they were great, if you found yourself being eaten and put it on straight away, absoloutly nothing happened, no itching no red blotch, "

Useful, but it sounds like they may be different things. The thing I saw is a device that costs about £25 and heats up a small patch of skin, almost to burning. Lots of people are said to find they work for them, but it seems dermatologists think it's a bit risky...

By *xposedInTheSunCouple
3 weeks ago

Cambridgeshire

By the way, there's a summary page from a medical perspective of what does and doesn't work at:

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/ss/slideshow-things-that-burrow

By *avidandherCouple
3 weeks ago

Manchester

What you really need to do if you are a mossie magnet and MUST go to Agde in June is to take any repellent you know works, as well as any repellent you hope works and any repellent you pray might just work. You might add sports vests for bed at night and long sleeve tops for the evenings out.

Anti histamine cream is good for the bites. Citronella liquid can be dripped around towels on the beach. Air con in your apartment saves having to open doors and windows to let the blighters in

Last resort, a ticket home on an earlier flight, you don't need to buy the baggage allowance until you are really ready to give up.

All the French mossie magnets gave up on Agde and moved to Paris generations ago.

Obviously won't be a problem for visitors from the Scottish Highlands.

We moved our trips back to September as we found far less mossie then.

Happy scratching and itching!!!

By *xposedInTheSunCouple
3 weeks ago

Cambridgeshire

Ah, but we have the car with us, so we have a planned escape route!

By *wingle70Man
3 weeks ago

Bicester

How bad is it at the moment? Can you literally not sit out without getting buzzed by mozzies?

Does it usually get better as the summer goes on?

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple
3 weeks ago

Agde, France

"How bad is it at the moment? Can you literally not sit out without getting buzzed by mozzies?

Does it usually get better as the summer goes on?"

When do you arrive..?

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple
3 weeks ago

Agde, France

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ce5520m6x2go

By *omeasyouarepleaseMan
3 weeks ago

London

They are brilliant and work - as does a teaspoon dunked in hot water. The heat breaks down the histamine.

By *xposedInTheSunCouple
3 weeks ago

Cambridgeshire

"They are brilliant and work - as does a teaspoon dunked in hot water. The heat breaks down the histamine. "

Thanks - I think it's actually the chemicals released by the mosquito during the bite which get broken down.

But in any case I'm a little concerned about what else in your skin might be getting broken down by all that heat! Apparently there haven't been any studies on long term effects.

By *exy BeckyCouple
3 weeks ago

Agde

It doesn’t have to be extreme heat.

A hot teaspoon that you can comfortably put on any sensitive part of your skin will work.

Three or four “recharges” in the hot water is normally enough for us.

Better than most other methods, but lavender oil is still our favourite.

By *ir60899Man
3 weeks ago

dedington

We were at Serignan in late April and early May.

The young lady in the info centre admitted that they had introduced the mossie traps earlier than planned due to the wet weather.

We will try the yeast bucket suggestion when we are there next May.

By *wingle70Man
3 weeks ago

Bicester

[Removed by poster at 12/06/24 18:31:28]

By *wingle70Man
3 weeks ago

Bicester

"How bad is it at the moment? Can you literally not sit out without getting buzzed by mozzies?

When do you arrive..?"

About 3 weeks

By *ap AdgeMan
3 weeks ago

Wirral

Was planning on going Next week will give it miss to late August

By *exy BeckyCouple
3 weeks ago

Agde

[Removed by poster at 13/06/24 08:30:13]

By *exy BeckyCouple
3 weeks ago

Agde

When do you arrive..?

About 3 weeks "

The situation will probably have changed by then.

By *rown-JewelsCouple
3 weeks ago

Mendip

This year is bad. Never had so much reaction (feeling feverish) to the mossies. Counted 40+ bites, not nice. Herself flew home early from Bezieres. I am driving the MoHo home alone. Not sure we will ever go back now they have embraced the 'Nature First' ideology. They used to spray the bagnas (Crop Spray Planes) and the one guy they engaged recently to spray the whole site(!) is using 'non-harmful' spray derived from Chrysanthemums. We found in June that the prevailing wind was off the land, thus carrying the insects onto the campsite. For a day the wind reversed and the lack of pests were noticeable. We hear that campers have been leaving in droves and demanding money back from Rene Oltra (Hence the crop spray contractor). We hear the beach bars have been closed because they are 'detrimental to the wild-life'. If you don't like being eaten alive, don't go to R Oltra....

By *uvnlicksMan
3 weeks ago

Dorset

To those that live there really, Towel people, Whats your thoughts on the mossy problem in september? Are there likely to be less? Or is it really a big unknown/ gamble?

Thanks

3 weeks ago

"To those that live there really, Towel people, Whats your thoughts on the mossy problem in september? Are there likely to be less? Or is it really a big unknown/ gamble?

Thanks"

It’s a gamble

By *hapsodysCouple
3 weeks ago

alfreton

Due to arrive on Friday,having second thoughts at the moment

Anyone else there now,are they really that bad

By *xposedInTheSunCouple
3 weeks ago

Cambridgeshire

Well, from what I've heard lots of people are still enjoying themselves.

However I think now is not the time for urban legends like wristbands and moisturising cream that even the manufacturer says is pretty useless against mosquitoes. Go straight for a 50% deet repellent.

By *avidandherCouple
3 weeks ago

Manchester

DEET doesn't work well for us. Citronella is our defence. Really it's a matter of "what works for you". Even black magic or hexing. ANYTHING THAT WORKS IS WORTH THE MONEY. There is a big difference between the bigger mosquitos and the small midges that come in swarms. The midges should die off August or September. There has always been a problem with generalised spraying as the pesticides can run off into the shellfish beds.

Anti histamine cream does reduce the itching for us. Any tips from Scottish Highland Fabers?

David and Anne.

By *he_Iridescent_GothWoman
2 weeks ago

My home

I was there (stayed in heliopolis) june 5th - june 12th.

Usually I am eaten alive by mosquitos, they love me. Now being immunocompromised I was worried.

I bought Bushman deet 40% spray, applied twice a day, morning and night, and got just 1 bite on my elbow.

I took a zapit (electric clicker) to treat any bite itches too.

Honestly thought it was going to be much worse than it was.

By *xposedInTheSunCouple
2 weeks ago

Cambridgeshire

Thanks, that's pretty reassuring!

By *eachfun1Couple
2 weeks ago

Epping

We arrived on Saturday, haven't been bitten once. Staying at Rene Oltra

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple
2 weeks ago

Agde, France

"We arrived on Saturday, haven't been bitten once. Staying at Rene Oltra"

Long may it continue….!!

By *hapsodysCouple
1 week ago

alfreton

Wouldn’t go if we were you,left two days early,was eaten alive

René Oltra staff wouldn’t move us from our pitch when we wanted to move

Lesson learnt

By *anillabelliniCouple
1 week ago

limerick

As someone who two years ago ended up in hospital on IV antibiotics from cellulitis as a result of mosquito bites, we’re still going and not deterred, we’re just gonna throw everything at them, DEET, citronella, and a back up of oral antibiotics and antihistamine tablets in case they’re needed. Cellulitis is scary as hell but Cap is our playground

By *nd-DCouple
7 days ago

portsmouth

Can anyone on the campsite update us what it is like now the weather has improved ? .

Are the mozzies still as bad ?

Thanks

By *exy BeckyCouple
7 days ago

Agde

"Can anyone on the campsite update us what it is like now the weather has improved ? .

Thanks "

When do you arrive at Cap..?

By *nd-DCouple
7 days ago

portsmouth

"Can anyone on the campsite update us what it is like now the weather has improved ? .

Thanks

When do you arrive at Cap..? "

July 3rd.

By *carborough_funCouple
7 days ago

Scarborough

They are pretty bad but are you really going to let that stop you coming on holiday and going through the rigmarole of a possible insurance claim

1000a of regions worldwide have. Mozzies it’s sadlu the changing climate and perfect conditions

It is what it is

Just enjoy

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple
6 days ago

Agde, France

Thanks

When do you arrive at Cap..?

July 3rd.

"

Spoke to some friends yesterday who had just left Cap. They said it wasn’t too bad.

But as always, things can change in a couple of weeks.

By *illnDaveCouple
5 days ago

southend

We left yesterday. Mozzies tend to treat me (J) like an all you can eat buffet. This year 4 bites in 8 days, which I’d say is a fairly good year. Only saw 1 mozzie and heard one when packing the car.

Bodega had citronella flame on the bar the other night!

JnDxx

Post new Message to Thread