Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Fabswingers.com site feedback

Unicode emoji

Jump to newest

By *bzcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

Please activate Unicode emoji on the site!

As an aside, the site looks very dated, possibly just because of the emoji, but it feels like the back end is about ten years out of date

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Ok it doesn't have bells ans whistles but surely its more about the people.

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS
over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

There are other emojis you can create on here like this if you know the code for them.

over a year ago

The whole site could do with a revamp tbh, but the content is great and should always take precedent

over a year ago

"Please activate Unicode emoji on the site!

As an aside, the site looks very dated, possibly just because of the emoji, but it feels like the back end is about ten years out of date "

Disagree. I love the dated feel and it’s backend. It loads quickly and it’s easy to do what I need. Much, much better than every other ‘dating’ site or app I’ve used in terms of the way it adapts to the phone screen and functionality.

By *isssexysensualityCouple
over a year ago

Harrow

"Please activate Unicode emoji on the site!

As an aside, the site looks very dated, possibly just because of the emoji, but it feels like the back end is about ten years out of date

Disagree. I love the dated feel and it’s backend. It loads quickly and it’s easy to do what I need. Much, much better than every other ‘dating’ site or app I’ve used in terms of the way it adapts to the phone screen and functionality. "

Emojis work on the preview screen...

?? ??????????????????????????????

over a year ago

Harrow

They just fail to appear properly in the posted message.

I had the same issue on my site, just checked, can’t remember why. My guess is that it’s related to storing the messages in the database, as preview message doesn’t have this problem (just displaying whatever it sees from the POST query). Probably a UTF8/Unicode issue...

Figured I’d google it. Yeah it’s that the column is probably just plain text or varchar, would need to be upgraded to utf8 . Something like this:

(VARCHAR(1024) utf8mb4_unicode_ci).

(If the database didn’t support Unicode, then something more complicated would need to be done like base64 encoding the original Unicode message and storing that in a new column, while relying on the current plain text column for search queries)

If the column can just be updated without any adverse effect to its current state, then it could be a quick virtually non-coding solution. ??

over a year ago

Harrow

Funny thing is, it would’ve been easier to support emojis than building your own smiley support.

One caveat, if the site were to support modern emojis, then the current smilies would look out of place (the smilies would need to be upgraded to look emojis - I.e. ditching img src tags and replacing with utf8 code)

By *bzcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"Funny thing is, it would’ve been easier to support emojis than building your own smiley support.

One caveat, if the site were to support modern emojis, then the current smilies would look out of place (the smilies would need to be upgraded to look emojis - I.e. ditching img src tags and replacing with utf8 code)"

I would suspect, the forum at least, is an off the shelf open source item. It probably needs a minor version update which the site owner is possibly reluctant to do incase anything breaks...

I think the current smileys would actually just migrate as most OS’s recognise the characters required to activate them...?

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

It’s retro and I like it.

over a year ago

Harrow

"Funny thing is, it would’ve been easier to support emojis than building your own smiley support.

One caveat, if the site were to support modern emojis, then the current smilies would look out of place (the smilies would need to be upgraded to look emojis - I.e. ditching img src tags and replacing with utf8 code)

I would suspect, the forum at least, is an off the shelf open source item. It probably needs a minor version update which the site owner is possibly reluctant to do incase anything breaks...

I think the current smileys would actually just migrate as most OS’s recognise the characters required to activate them...?"

The smilies are stored in the icons/s/ directory of the website, and are just gifs (the same old school open-source smilies that phpBB forum software uses). So basically the site would have some code that specifically search-replaces the occurrences of the smiley strings with 'img src'... I doubt it would automatically change unless this website has specific code to switch from using it's own set of gif images to using emojis (which we treat as text rather than images). I think this forum software probably predates the point when emojis became mainstream outside of Japan.

By *bzcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

I think the current smileys would actually just migrate as most OS’s recognise the characters required to activate them...?

The smilies are stored in the icons/s/ directory of the website, and are just gifs (the same old school open-source smilies that phpBB forum software uses). So basically the site would have some code that specifically search-replaces the occurrences of the smiley strings with 'img src'... I doubt it would automatically change unless this website has specific code to switch from using it's own set of gif images to using emojis (which we treat as text rather than images). I think this forum software probably predates the point when emojis became mainstream outside of Japan."

I’ve never actually looked at the html of the site since I keep looking at profiles instead, but I’d assumed it would have been a version of something like phpBB.

If it’s not just a one click installer update fair enough, but if it’s possible to just update the database register to store in utf8 then everything should still just work? Old ; - ) style emojis would still show as old school ones which people like, yet you could still use the emoji keyboard on your phone...

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

The site is really ease to use and navigate.

I like it's simplicity, it doesn't need bells and whistles, the sites about people and connections, it doesn't need to be "flash" IMHO.

I message people, people message me.

Simple but quite brilliant.

It's a fiver.

By *bzcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"The site is really ease to use and navigate.

I like it's simplicity, it doesn't need bells and whistles, the sites about people and connections, it doesn't need to be "flash" IMHO.

It's a fiver.

"

I agree, all I’m saying is that being able to use the emoji on your keyboard would be a nice addition.

over a year ago

It's not broken... let's not fix it

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"The site is really ease to use and navigate.

It's a fiver.

I agree, all I’m saying is that being able to use the emoji on your keyboard would be a nice addition. "

Try these with your keyboard......

By *im and her HertsCouple
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

It’s all about the people here really and not what emoji to add to a message!

We’re here to meet people and have people meet us.

If we/they want to take things further with emojis then perhaps we can buy our suitor an emoji t-shirt or cushion, should they be that in need of an emoji!!

over a year ago

Harrow

"It’s all about the people here really and not what emoji to add to a message!

If we/they want to take things further with emojis then perhaps we can buy our suitor an emoji t-shirt or cushion, should they be that in need of an emoji!! "

I'm more interested in functional improvements rather than cosmetic. But the emoji thing looks like a relatively minimal fix in comparison to adding any new functionality.

Ain't broke don't fix is one philosophy. Another one is that if you rest on your laurels, competitors will rise. It's a great site, just looking for ways to improve things. The photo categorisation feature is pretty cool. Could run weekly competitions best rated nude picture, cock, pussy shot etc. (only allowing paid supporters to vote, to prevent people creating lots of free accounts to up-vote someone). A prize (e.g. sex toy) can be mailed to the winner.

Some features are more popular than others. Perhaps take the best suggestions and put it in a poll. (But can we do polls on this forum?)

By *bzcouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"It’s all about the people here really and not what emoji to add to a message!

If we/they want to take things further with emojis then perhaps we can buy our suitor an emoji t-shirt or cushion, should they be that in need of an emoji!!

I'm more interested in functional improvements rather than cosmetic. But the emoji thing looks like a relatively minimal fix in comparison to adding any new functionality.

Ain't broke don't fix is one philosophy. Another one is that if you rest on your laurels, competitors will rise. It's a great site, just looking for ways to improve things. The photo categorisation feature is pretty cool. Could run weekly competitions best rated nude picture, cock, pussy shot etc. (only allowing paid supporters to vote, to prevent people creating lots of free accounts to up-vote someone). A prize (e.g. sex toy) can be mailed to the winner.

Some features are more popular than others. Perhaps take the best suggestions and put it in a poll. (But can we do polls on this forum?)"

Agreed. At times it seems like the site doesn’t get much love from the owners...

Another feature that would be good would be photo comments. Both for the person uploading it to add a little detail about the photo, or for comments from admirers.

Being able to “like” forum posts would be good and save a lot of messages of just quoting a post with a thumbs up emoji attached!

Lastly, being able to tag users in posts, for example during a quote...

Very lastly, being able to subscribe to threads so you get a notification to a reply or someone tagging you...

A bit OT so maybe we’ll start a new thread for them

Post new Message to Thread